• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
After seeing the stellar reviews and a Eurogamer "essential" I pretty much went into this blind.

First thing is that to use a mech teenage girls need to be stripped naked.

Hmm.

Then 10 minutes later I'm talking to a nurse with enormous breasts that she is pushing up with her arms the entire time I'm talking to her.

Wtf is this

Kyo

Oct 25, 2017
My preorder should arrive sometime tomorrow afternoon. I've enjoyed pretty much every Vanillaware game I've gotten to play starting on the Vita, and this one seems to have a special amount of praise set aside for it despite not having the action combat I'm used to seeing, so my expectations are high.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
For some reason I thought this was coming to Steam and/or Switch. Damn, I don't have my PS4 with me.

A little off topic, but do we know if we can play this on PS5? Haven't followed the PS5 BC discussion, but if I get this game physically I should be able to play on PS5, right? Or any confirmation I would be able to play this digitally on PS5?
All games released after July 13th this year MUST work on PS5. This game would have failed certification if it didn't. So yes, it works on PS5.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
After seeing the stellar reviews and a Eurogamer "essential" I pretty much went into this blind.

Hmm.

Then 10 minutes later I'm talking to a nurse with enormous breasts that she is pushing up with her arms the entire time I'm talking to her.

Wtf is this
First time playing a Vanilaware title?

MrPablington

Oct 27, 2017

Hmm.

Wtf is this

you haven't watched much anime, haven't you?

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the tutorial segment last night
The combat parts are easy but i like that they break up the visual novel sections
Ill echo what everyone else said too the whole game feels incredibly slick/polished

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Looks like a $6 off coupon showed up for this on Amazon. Mine hadn't shipped so i cancelled and reordered, might not get it tomorrow but that's fine with me.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Holy slick UI, that is my first impression of this game. The game is clean and immediately exudes quality. I'm impressed by small details like the fact that characters' resting facial expressions being different depending on what's going on in the story, and lots of animations that didn't even feel like they had to be there. Also 100% voiced which is super nice, and the English acting/directing is great. Hard to believe this game was built by a developer that was on the brink of bankruptcy, but I guess I can see why it almost killed them.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
I saw that the PSN store preorder came with a digital artbook. The retail copies here in Sweden didn't have any perks to them; is it even possible to grab the digital add-ons in any way now?

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Picked this up as well. Still finishing a previous game (almost done), but looking forward to start this!

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
This doesn't give it a free pass to me. This is the type of thing that turns me off from this type of media. Kind of regret my preorder now.
Not saying it's a free pass, but Vanillaware titles have always been this gratuitous.

On a different note. It's fantastic hearing Sakimoto compose something not fantasy. Love his take on scifi/modern.

Last edited:

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Physical copy + artbook will be here tomorrow from Amazon (technically later today). Can't wait!

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
About two hours in and I'm really loving it. Really engaging story, and just about every 5 seconds I'm floored by how beautiful the game is. Any random screenshot may as well be a piece of top grade concept art.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
the battles are totally disconnected from any kind of story progression.

Its like, they wrote this epic about mechs and invaders and it was so complex with all characters being in different places and time that they just end up saying " fuck it, here's an all star rts / rpg battle system to play the mech you hear and see in the story "

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
the battles are totally disconnected from any kind of story progression.

Its like, they wrote this epic about mechs and invaders and it was so complex with all characters being in different places and time that they just end up saying " fuck it, here's an all star rts / rpg battle system to play the mech you hear and see in the story "
I disagree. It fits with the non linear storytelling they're doing and I appreciate that it lets you go between the modes pretty much as you please (Although sometimes you need to do the battle stuff to unlock further story paths).

I think it's really neat. I'm enjoying it a lot so far and there's some legitimate jaw dropper moments so far even just under 5 hours in.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Tried to get a price adjustment on Amazon, was told no twice, so I just canceled and remade the order.

balb

Oct 30, 2017
I always get suckered into getting Vanillaware games for the art style and end up disappointed by the game aspect. Hope this one is different :(

Nall

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question for those who've played/are currently playing it. How does the text look on big screen? Is it large enough that it is actually readable? The screens I've seen don't look too bad, but I'm just curious about it . Thank you!

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question for those who've played/are currently playing it. How does the text look on big screen? Is it large enough that it is actually readable? The screens I've seen don't look too bad, but I'm just curious about it . Thank you!
Text is pretty big, don't have any issue with it and the implementation is really well done.

3-4 hours in.
I'm really loving it so far, I'm already really curious where the story goes cause so far I'm really into it. I was not expecting the game to grab me this fast. I haven't delve too much in the combat so far, but I like it, as I'm really to curious about certain character story.
Visuals are, my god, gorgeous ! Especially the lighning, I'd say this is where they made the biggest progress.
Japanese VA is great too.
The only thing I'm not convinced by yet is the soundtrack, I haven't really noticed it so far and I play with a headset.

It might become my favorite Vanillaware if its continue like that.

Oh and Natsuno best girl and Takatoshi best boy.

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
Got to play the prologue for the first character (about 30 minutes) and I can already tell this game will be amazing. I was expecting just text and battles so being able to walk around is nice.
The Japanese VA is really good too and the story seems interesting.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to get my physical copy in couples of hours. So intense is the difficulty to go if i want challenge ?

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Hmm.

Wtf is this
That design was the one I groaned at from the marketing - Kamitani (I presume that design's his?) has always shoved one character with back-breaking proportions into his games - Dragon's Crown is the most 'iconic' example.
Not saying it's a free pass, but Vanillaware titles have always been this gratuitous.

On a different note. It's fantastic hearing Sakimoto compose something not fantasy. Love his take on scifi/modern.
Check out Opoona if you want another sci-fi score from Sakimoto and Basiscape - really underrated game too.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Probably will only get the chance to check out the artbook today since I'll barely have an hour before work after picking my copy up.

Vanillaware has been absent so far on Switch and I don't there ever was a game by them for Xbox?
I feel like the only non-Sony Vanillaware game was Muramasa on Wii, & that got an enhanced version on Vita.

That, & some obscure DS game about raising animal girls that wasn't well received & didn't get localized.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
140228_2751890_Target_Lady_anvver_1.jpg

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Just over an hour in, three prologues finished so far. Still not sure about the strategy gameplay bits yet, but I'll plow through it. Story's pretty engaging and the art style is really nice. The plot's already gone through

time travel

And we're just an hour in, so I bet it'll only get more insane from here. I'm in.

Obviously the whole school children piloting mechs naked is...problematic, but at least it's not constantly being drawn attention to in either the game or the art book so currently it's just Digimon series 3 all over again.

There's also the fact that there's a

male character who dresses as a girl

Which, given the Atlus logo when booting up will always raise concerns but actually so far isn't done in poor taste so I'll take that as a win.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Pre order artbooks is nice (35 pages, high-quality paper) but they should have made it slightly smaller. As it is now, it's only a few mm to fit into the box in the game manual slot. That's a shame, it has the kind of size that makes it hard to store.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Pre order artbooks is nice (35 pages, high-quality paper) but they should have made it slightly smaller. As it is now, it's only a few mm to fit into the box in the game manual slot. That's a shame, it has the kind of size that makes it hard to store.
Damn. The artbook is that short and small?

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Damn. The artbook is that short and small?
Yep, it only has a double page for each characer (concept art and a collection of ingame sprites) and 4 double pages for Mechs (concept art and some ingame mech scenes). And by character I mean playable character, there's no art for the NPCs.

Out of curiosity, does the art book contain any spoilers?
I don't think so, it has no text aside from character names or any relevant ingame scene. Maybe some of the sprites can be considered spoiler (some characters are wielding a gun for example) but nothing relevant or new if you have watched the trailers.