• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
I mean, that's cause you didn't get as far as any of the twists.

Fair enough, but if after playing hours of a story driven game, I am not liking the story I am not going to force myself to carry on through.

If you don't like visual novels this game won't change your mind. I bought it due to Eras word of mouth but do not enjoy it. Been forcing myself through it.

I love Disco Elysium. This is not Disco Elysium. None of the characters here are all that deep. This is a fun genre piece delivered in a very unique way.

Both fair points. I don't have much experience with VN's so they might just not be for me.

Why on earth where you expecting Disco Elysium story prowess? The story was brilliant in my opinion but it's not really going to compare with a full fledged RPG that was heavy on narration and branching storylines/choices. Seems a bit ridiculous to expect that.

I don't think it is unfair to have a story focussed visual novel to have a story as good as an RPG.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
God damnit, the backlog never stops growing.

edit: can anyone who's played it say weather it's playable on a regular PS4? Google tells me the framerate struggles on a PS4 Pro, so I'm a bit worried about how it'll be on a regular one. Still getting it either way.

It play it on a PS4 Slim, it's fine. I mean, the battle section suffer the more enemies are in the map, or the more big your attacks are, but because the game always pause when you decide to do something it's not that bad. Actually is quite funny see how your actions slow everything because how massive they are lol

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
God damnit, the backlog never stops growing.

edit: can anyone who's played it say weather it's playable on a regular PS4? Google tells me the framerate struggles on a PS4 Pro, so I'm a bit worried about how it'll be on a regular one. Still getting it either way.

Base PS4: the only time i experienced a frame rate issue was in the last handful of battles, and it was just because of too many explosions at once. Since it's turn based, it doesn't affect the gameplay at all. You're just experiencing stuttering from watching an animation play out. Actually i found it to be kind of funny as what set it off was so over the top crazy anyway

edit: LOL at poster above me--- i was giggling when the ps4 was trying to process like 1,500 explosions at once

a glitch

Dec 12, 2018
It play it on a PS4 Slim, it's fine. I mean, the battle section suffer the more enemies are in the map, or the more big your attacks are, but because the game always pause when you decide to do something it's not that bad. Actually is quite funny see how your actions slow everything because how massive they are lol
Base PS4: the only time i experienced a frame rate issue was in the last handful of battles, and it was just because of too many explosions at once. Since it's turn based, it doesn't affect the gameplay at all. You're just experiencing stuttering from watching an animation play out. Actually i found it to be kind of funny as what set it off was so over the top crazy anyway

edit: LOL at poster above me--- i was giggling when the ps4 was trying to process like 1,500 explosions at once

The sensible part of me thinks this will be OK, and the Dynasty Warriors fan in me thinks this will be awesome. Thanks for the answers!

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
Both fair points. I don't have much experience with VN's so they might just not be for me.

If you're not feeling it that's fine. I guess there are two things I'd add.

First is that I don't think of 13 Sentinels as a visual novel. The story-heavy segments are much more like an adventure game (Vanillaware initially called it a "dramatic adventure"). You're an outside observer watching what is largely spoken dialogue. You walk through environments and pick interactions from your thought cloud. It's a very different presentation from Japanese visual novels, even if some of the storytelling conventions are similar.

Second is that, while I don't know your general experience with other games, Disco Elysium in particular is so good that it's made every other RPG I've played since feel lacking in comparison. The only game that's given me a similar feeling to it is Kentucky Route Zero.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
Tried to buy via the web store and the app and both crapped out and won't take my money. This is like a regular occurrence since they updated it. I'll try again later today.

Oct 26, 2017
Saw all of the positive buzz and picked this up last year. I played for quite a few hours and dropped it. I just don't think the story is quite as good as what was being made out.

I was going in fully expecting Disco Elysium levels of story prowess the writing all just felt a bit disappointing with a lot of the usual tropes intact. Probably my own high expectations are at fault rather than the game. Everyone just kept saying how there was mind blowing twists and it just felt like a normal interweaving
time travel
story to me.
I wouldnt call it mind blowing, but it is wildddd.
But yeah the thing in the spoiler isn't what people are referring to at all. (But also disco elysium has a good story??)

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
Can you elaborate? I feel like this is the case with every game from this studio that I've played, unfortunately. I'm curious about 13 Sentinels but am worried I won't like it.

Will keep things spoiler-free, of course. I apologize for the vagueness, I agree that you should go in knowing as little as possible.

I unfortunately can't compare to other Vanillaware games, but I'd still recommend checking it out if you enjoy sci-fi thrillers. I found the process of going through the routes to uncover the truth really engrossing and as I mentioned, I loved the game once the truth was unfolding. The scale of what unfolds was very compelling and there are some really thrilling, exciting reveals and surprises throughout. That being said, the narrative has a lot of pacing issues. Each route will help you piece things together, but I definitely found some routes more interesting and productive than others. Some ended at odd spots, others missed opportunities and there's a little too much stalling than necessary. I wanted to spend more time exploring the truth than I wanted to stay at the surface and the game wouldn't let me. I was still able to enjoy a handful of characters quite a bit in spite of the narrative weaknesses and surprising inability to go beyond tropes, all things considered.

I think they could have reduced the amount of RTS waves, as you'll find yourself locked out of routes to go through battles at times and it can be frustrating to have to break away from the narrative puzzle you're solving. I felt a little bad at times since the RTS mode is fun, but I usually felt forced to do it. It also doesn't help that there is so much information to keep track of. You can look through the game's information to keep track, but needing an in-game wiki to keep track like this IS a flaw. I didn't exactly find the story that hard to follow, but I felt that it gave me too much info to sort through and be distracted by. The game IS aware of this and one character's route suffers from it greatly.

The game also struggles to develop important relationships for two reasons: first, the game seems to think that telling you that there is romance involved is enough, so many dynamics lack real chemistry and/or genuine development. Second, the game is more interested in making the female characters seem appealing to the audience by way of unfortunate tropes. I don't think that making characters appealing is automatically wrong, but if you don't really think very highly of your subject matter, then you won't really be able to represent its depth well. I've heard that the fanservice isn't as bad as it could be for Vanillaware and quite frankly, that's one low bar.

I've voiced my gripes, but I was still plenty motivated to see the game through and really powered through it on the strength of the mystery alone even if I don't think it wraps up that well.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I hate the new webstore so much.

I can't even find this game in the AU store. Searching brings up unrelated games, and one link I found via google just sends me to a store page with no price or option to do anything. I'll check direct on the PS4 later I guess.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
OP: Thanks for the heads up!

Sort of related:

Why in God's name did they remove the wishlist from the PSN store?

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks OP. Did the holiday sale get updated today? I could swear there are games on sale as a part of it that weren't before. Bought this along with a few other games.

Also, the current store sucks. It took forever to do anything.

OP: Thanks for the heads up!

Sort of related:

Why in God's name did they remove the wishlist from the PSN store?

I switched over to using PS Deals. The other more popular option is PS Prices but I didn't like their UI. It's not ideal but it'll have to do for now.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
People keep hyping the story but what kind of game is it?

One part RTS and one part visual novel (though not just static images or anything, you have to move characters around like any other 2D game. It's an interesting blend that seems to work for this game. Story is told through 13 different protagonists you can tackle in any order, but the game will keep you from going "too far" in one story until you finish certain amounts of others etc. Same with the RTS portions.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It's a visual novel right?

Part visual novel (where you move a character around a 2D environment to talk with people or interact with things in the environment and not just straight up reading text), and part RTS tower defense (but the game is paused when you take a turn with a unit and choose your action from a menu).

Kyubajin

Feb 22, 2019
Preordered, played and loved it. I just insta preorder anything by Vanillaware to support them as much as I can. I'm happy it's on sale so more people give it a try.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Part visual novel (where you move a character around a 2D environment to talk with people or interact with things in the environment and not just straight up reading text), and part RTS tower defense (but the game is paused when you take a turn with a unit and choose your action from a menu).
I don't really like tower defense games.

Is it worth it for the visual novel alone?

Gotta finish steins:gate and Danganronpa first but will buy now for sale price if it is good.

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017

Gotta finish steins:gate and Danganronpa first but will buy now for sale price if it is good.
I found the game really easy on normal, so you could probably blast through the combat sections pretty fast on Easy mode.

That being said, tower defense isn't quite appropriate since the vast majority of missions can be completed by just going out and killing all the enemies before they get anywhere near your base.. Considering it like a strategy game with final fantasy's ATB system is probably more apt.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Will it be 50% off for Europe as well?

It is 50% off for NA and 33% off for EU.

I kind of want to try it out because so many people praise this game, but I feel like an idiot if I were to buy it for 49$ on the European store compared to the 30$ on the US store. I don't want to use any VPNs or stuff like that.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017

I kind of want to try it out because so many people praise this game, but I feel like an idiot if I were to buy it for 49$ on the European store compared to the 30$ on the US store. I don't want to use any VPNs or stuff like that.
You don't need a VPN, just make an american account, and use topups to buy stuff.

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020

I'm in the same boat. Would probably bite at 50% but I guess I'll wait a little more.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
No, but you can download it with your american account and then play it with your european account, you even get the trophies in there, afaik you can get double trophies if you so desire.

I see. Thanks for letting me know. Can I get banned for this?

I'm in the same boat. Would probably bite at 50% but I guess I'll wait a little more.

Ye it is a bit weird especially since the euro is much stronger than the dollar and the price difference really hurts.

Quatermain

Oct 29, 2017
As someone who has really enjoyed Vanillaware's previous output, but isn't particularly excited about the VN genre, should I just forget about this one?

jack.

Oct 27, 2017

There's only a few hours of tower defense and it's pretty easy. You can also turn the difficulty down to easy and blow through it if you don't care. None of the trophies are difficulty-based.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has really enjoyed Vanillaware's previous output, but isn't particularly excited about the VN genre, should I just forget about this one?
Some people keep calling it a VN for some reason, but I don't see a difference in how its story is told compared to previous Vanillaware games. Doesn't seem likely that you won't enjoy this one as well, unless the RTS w/paused turns segments are a dealbreaker.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Over 25 hours in and I think I'm nearing the end.

It's an okay game. No more, no less.

The story is decent and nice to watch unfold I guess, but what's there (in terms of twists and layers) just isn't interesting enough to justify all the time jumps, non-linear story progression, and intertwining stories of each character. The localization is nice, though. But, the writing and story beats are mediocre-to-dissapointing overall.

This was my take on Odin Sphere. It was fine, and I was somewhat intrigued by its non-linear storytelling and connective narrative, but I never did finish it as the bloat was a bit unruly and I fizzled with only about half the 'total' completion. It was a tall order to push through and see it all.

I kind of worry I'll end up feeling similarly with this game, but I did just buy it on sale.

Nov 27, 2017
I ordered a physical copy from Best Buy and it was supposed to be ready for store pickup on 12/31. Then I got a notice that it was delayed and they're working on getting it to me, but if they can't get it by 1/14, they'll cancel my order. Maybe they ran out of stock? I'm not optimistic that I'll get it.

I guess it's good that this sale goes on until 1/20, so I can wait and see if I actually get it.

Yep, order canceled. I guess they ran out? Digital it is. I'm just glad the sale is still going.

Oct 29, 2017
I've put a few hours into this and it's pretty intriguing. It's hard to keep track of names and I'm not entirely sure I know what's going on, but I'm curious and it's presented well with the graphics and the dialogue. English dub is excellent too.