• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus... they just played an ad for this show during the Billboard Music Awards that made it look like a happy teen romance/drama.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I mean,
Alex did get a stiffy from fighting with Zach
7grsexquestions-2.jpg

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, at least up to the finale and then they botch it
by having him continue to use heroin.

Another thing about the final scene.
Anyone else screaming at the television for Clay to drop the fucking gun as the police cars approach? I mean, how stupid could he be?

Yeah I abhor long drawn out addict plots in shows. It didn't quite ruin Justin for me but it seemed pretty lazy.

As for Clay holding the gun, I felt the same way for a while but started to think it out and he is pretty clear of being assumed to be the shooter. (Text message, witnesses, Tyler's car, etc.) And he's white so the cops won't shoot on sight ;)

I'm really more worried for Tony. Tony has a lot of trust in Clay haha.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really annoying. The friendship between Zach and Alex is really one of the better parts of S2.

It honestly is, and it's such a positive portrayal of what friendship between young men is often like but rarely depicted as.

I hate when people project their gay fantasies on stuff like that. It's shallow and immature and is in reality nowhere near as progressive as they'd like to think.

Nov 1, 2017
This was bad. They doubled down on all the worst elements of season 1. Nobody behaves like a real human being and the plot is ludicrous but the show is still aiming for Very Deep and Important. And the first season was so clearly intended to be a complete story that all this "that wasn't the whole story" stuff feels like revisionist history bullshit.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
How is it great? Terrible writing, characters, and a meandering plot with retcons. Sure it's great if your bar for quality is one inch off the floor.

To me quality isn't some objective bar, it varies from person to person. Im not trying to elevate S2 to art. A show can have all those things you described, which in some ways it does, I agree, and it still be an entertaining, engrossing, and emotional experience for someone. Everyone comes at entertainment with their own lense and their own perspective. Which can help them appreciate a creative effort despite its thorns.

I'm not saying it's perfect, or that if I spent time really breaking it out I couldn't find a ton of flaws like you seem to have. But I thought S2 proved itself necessary (it takes a while, I agree) and was an interesting look at how heavily we only got one perspective in S1. And how there are consequences that ripple out uncontrollably.

There were quite a few moments towards the end of the season that really punched and I was either cheering or tearing up. If a show can pull those type of emotions out of me, I think it's great.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
Finished. I don't know ow how to feel.

I mean S1 was a 10/10 for me. I cried like a little boy. And now.
Wow. Have to think about everything, especially last episode.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To me quality isn't some objective bar, it varies from person to person. Im not trying to elevate S2 to art. A show can have all those things you described, which in some ways it does, I agree, and it still be an entertaining, engrossing, and emotional experience for someone. Everyone comes at entertainment with their own lense and their own perspective. Which can help them appreciate a creative effort despite its thorns.

I'm not saying it's perfect, or that if I spent time really breaking it out I couldn't find a ton of flaws like you seem to have. But I thought S2 proved itself necessary (it takes a while, I agree) and was an interesting look at how heavily we only got one perspective in S1. And how there are consequences that ripple out uncontrollably.

There were quite a few moments towards the end of the season that really punched and I was either cheering or tearing up. If a show can pull those type of emotions out of me, I think it's great.

Exactly.

Finished. I don't know ow how to feel.

I mean S1 was a 10/10 for me. I cried like a little boy. And now.
Wow. Have to think about everything, especially last episode.

When that song came on in the last episode I cried like a fuckin baby.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
6 episodes in.
- Justin, Jess and Alex are the best characters. Really surprised how much better Alex is this year
- Clay is an angry twat sometimes.. He annoys me. Spare me your self righteousness dude. #fraud

I want to do very, VERY violent things to Bryce. Fucking cunt! :@

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Finale spoiler ..

now why would Nina steal and then burn all the pictures ? They could have been used as a real evidence in the trial .. if that was some kind of "take back power" scenario, it didn't make any sense.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading those spoilers - holy shit what the fuck is wrong with the people who wrote this? This is just disgusting.
Glamorizing school shooters? Having the events be on the date of Columbine? Graphic rape with a broom? Ghosts?

There is no glamorizing of school shooters. You could, actually watch the show before you get all self-righteous instead of reading spoilers out of context.

Hannah isn't a fucking ghost, whoever is saying that is wrong. Hannah's presence is only visible to Clay, because he has not accepted her death. Yes there is graphic rape with a broom. In the first season there is graphic rape in a hot tub and a girl committing suicide. I'm interested to see how the series deals with male rape, as it's not something usually talked about outside of the context of prisons in the United States.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I didn't see this before because its under its own separate listing but there is a 13 Reasons Why: Beyond the reasons S2 up. Looks like cast and crew and mental health experts doing a roundtable

Finale spoiler ..

now why would Nina steal and then burn all the pictures ? They could have been used as a real evidence in the trial .. if that was some kind of "take back power" scenario, it didn't make any sense.

didn't make sense to me either considering that jessica offered the polaroid. goes against the whole a victim should get to decide if, when, and how their story is told. if she's back next season i'm gonna suspect something nefarious haha

Knightywing

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
After about a day of thinking about it, I think I like S2. It starts off slow, but it starts picking up pace about half-way through.
- Really enjoyed the focus on the "supporting characters", like Alex, Jessica, Justin, Zach, Tony, Tyler, and less on Clay/Hannah.
- Still, some of the kids felt underused. Courtney and Ryan are kind of just there at times, Marcus gets suspended (and never shows up after that) and Sheri straight up vanishes. You would think she would be there in the end with the rest of the gang.
- The set-ups for S3 are kind of underwhelming though. Still, I'll tune in for next season.

OP
OP
Phire Phox

Phire Phox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm on Episode 7 now. Pretty damn good so far. Mr. Porter is going hard now. Things are really heating up. Intrigued to find out
Who is sending those threats to everyone, who broke into Clay's house and who ran Clay off the road, and if they are all the same person.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished s2. I liked s1 quite a bit, but thought this season was unnecessary and kinda terrible.
Overall it felt... idk, too drawn out and like there wasn't enough going on, kinda boring at times without enough of the same intriguing punches s1 had, or like it was leading me on to expect stuff that never quite happened or never got explored properly so felt dissatisfying. Furthermore, I can understand them wanting to do another season that's like 'one person's story isn't the only side or necessarily the whole truth' but I felt this direction just lessened the impact of s1, especially with the retcon-y type stuff they threw in.
Then there was Clay with his constantly seeing and talking to Hannah which bothered me a lot. I kept thinking 'how doesn't anyone hear him???' every time he was basically yelling at nothing in his room or wherever. And while there were a few moments where I felt it worked, I really just was not a fan of her being there so much in general, tbh.
The last episode was especially dreadful. I hated that they had Justin go back to drugs because his character had one of the few good, redeemable arcs of the season and that move just kinda ruined it. Nina -- was that her name?? -- the girl who burned the photos pissed me off and felt like such a throw away scene. I can understand why she did it and what they were going for, but it felt more like a plot device to keep the twists coming than an actual move her character would make that they wanted to explore. Clay's plan to talk down Tyler felt kinda ridiculous, and how it played out didn't feel authentic or earned enough. It didn't help that the season basically cut off immediately after that, either. Oh, also, the scene where they were all hugging in the middle of the dance floor felt super silly to me. I know it was supposed to be an emotional high point of all of them leaning on each other through this, but it didn't quite work for me.

There were a few moments of the season I did enjoy, though: I did like Justin's arc up until the end quite a bit, as well as Alex's character throughout the season. The scene where the girls and women were talking about their experiences with sexual assault and rape was pretty strong too, very powerful moment imo. Oh and then there was also that mass fight in the hallway which was honestly pretty hilarious.

If they get a s3 I'll probably end up watching it, mostly because the cliff hanger pissed me off and I got invested enough to wanna see what happened after all that, but I wouldn't be sad at all if it got dropped. S1 was honestly all it needed.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Ep.2 and cannot for the life of me understand at this point why Clay is with Skye. They seem like the most unlikely couple and every time I see them hooking up on screen I cringe a little. Regardless, everyone in that school outside of the rapist jocks need to get the fuck out of that school.

elcapitano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brilliant season. Made me a 21 year old male feel so much. Anger, sadness rage despair. Sure the subject matter is rough so it's not for some but I loved it. Don't agree with anyone saying they made another season to just milk it. The story they told this season was every bit as relevant as season 1.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Through E8, dislike how retconny everything seems. I mean I know we were never given the entire story in the first season, but a lot of this stuff is totally coming out of nowhere it seems, like the stuff with
Zach

edit: also, having the whole
drug stuff
come out at the trial is just silly because it was never mentioned a single time in S1. If there had been a dangling question from S1 about that night or the discussion around it then maybe I'd buy it more. At least that episode had an awesome opening.

Last edited:

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
My wife and I loved the first season as husband and wife, and hated it as Mom and Dad. So far, we both are hating the second season. Only 2 episodes in...

The idea of Hannah as a ghost, or Clay speaking/listening to Hannah (who isn't there, because she's dead) just seems so dumb to me.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Ok so I finished the season, and I mostly loved it. I can't remember a show that can be this much of a mess at times - that has so many completely illogical situations, that is still this fucking good. lol

Last edited:

Mooner

Alt-Account
May 3, 2018
Finale spoiler ..

Because she doesn't want people to know what happened to her. Not all people want her story told. Which is why her friend didn't tell the complete truth on the stand

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Because she doesn't want people to know what happened to her. Not all people want her story told. Which is why her friend didn't tell the complete truth on the stand

But isn't she (Nina) in a support group already ? Meaning she has told at least some people about her experience. Sure that setting wasn't as big as a witness stand but she essentially burnt evidence for a lot of other victims who may have wanted it to be used appropriately anyway.

Bad judgement call imo.

Last edited:

Mooner

Alt-Account
May 3, 2018
But isn't she (Nina) in a support group already ? Sure that setting wasn't as big as a witness stand but she essentially burnt evidence for a lot of other victims who may have wanted it to be used appropriately anyway.

Bad judgement call imo.
Crap, I forgot about that. Perhaps she's being a hippocrite?

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Clay getting run off the road and showing up the next morning with This Season's Obligatory Facial Wound that distracts the viewer every episode as it slowly bruises, scabs, and heals is cracking me up.

I've never met another human being who suffers as much punishment to his face as this kid.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
God I hated this season. The drama just felt so much more artificial, and the show overall felt more "preachy" than the first. I felt like I was being lectured the entire season. That's great for the issues it talks about but not so much as a TV show

Jessica cheating on Alex
Them not going through with the shooting after an entire season of buildup
Clay being an idiot
Justin still doing heroin
Nina burning the photos instead of just her own

Just a frustrating season all around. Kind of felt like Pretty Little Liars level of "mystery"