• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1- Its the first final fantasy to have a developed story, its an addult bittersweet story where death is one of the main themes
9cqFxQO.png

2- Did you knew Final Fantasy 2 has a sequel/expansion? How many final fantasy games you can say it has a good sequel? The secondary characters are further developed and we see how they handle death and sacrifice. It was released with the gba version and got a remake to the psp.

83.jpg

3- The villain is David fucking Bowie
h8FBF53E1

4- Do you think Final Fantasy games are easy? This game was made for you, i havent played the NES/GBA version, the NES is the hardest one, the psp version is fine for most of the game until the end of the game and the sequel, and boy that was fun, monsters with insta kill if i had bad luck. And if you play without a guide this game is full of fake rooms with strong monsters, and some dungeons are a maze.
latest

5- Strong female character in the main group that it's not a white mage since 1988

m0yBvYw_bCj0KFRWtDKMf4BKtDOIGNErJND6BbPWFR4D246v5ZIrGrABdcerIhCjfkmOVXxIcQ6cv2T-jyU0EAQg3C8nX4oLKynEIooFDPZUahm3_ghUXUOLt2qVKN7S

Leila pirate Captain with one of the best under rated designs made by amano.
latest

6- Do you think Kain is cool? You've never met Ricard
highwind.jpg

7- It has an amazing overworld theme

8- You are a hipster of games? This is the hipster final fantasy game, few people played, and few people liked it
www.cbr_.comHipster-Cat-Final-Fantasy-6d7b2f1dc67591eb9ca41b353d81055435bee5ab.jpg

9- Its the first final fantasy to have chocobos, cid, dragoons, etc.
latest

10- the NES box is very cool
51709E2.JPG

EDIT:
11-
I feel like the #1 reason should be the Rebel theme.

12 -
Also, you forgot to mention it being open world before open world was cool. You can literally ignore the plot and head straight for the endgame towns. You'll probably die, but with a little bit of luck and some grinding...

13 -
Guy can talk to beavers. That should be on the list.
guy-speak-beaver.jpg

so give final fantasy 2 a try =)

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
if i ever feel like being bored for a long time ill consider it

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It's really hard to be the worst in a series that includes 8 and 3, but somehow it finds a way. The horrible battle system just kills it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Nice try op but I've played ff2 and it's one of my least favorite in the entire franchise!

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
FF2 is massively underrated. It had a better story than the 3 FF after it.

The soundtrack was godlike, the world was incredible, the characters are all vivid and likeable and tje gameplay system was just pure fun and tried to branch out by offering a solid alternative feom the new norm.

FF2 was a game of few words but every word counts.

But now the only thing we get are memes from people repeating "haha u need to hit yourself!" Ad nauseam

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
3- The villain is David fucking Bowie
h8FBF53E1
Okay I'm sold. I'll try it out sometime. I have the PSP version and just bought the 1 and 2 compilation game on GBA a couple months ago. I just always feel so busy with new games, though. I haven't even started DQXI and I was excited about that game.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the GBA version but yeah... it's got a lot of jank. The good doesn't outweigh that.

Oct 27, 2017
I love it purely from the perspective I think it is a fascinating experiment in terms of disruptive design. Traditional RPG skill and experience systems are turned on their head and so to is the game's entire reinforcement loop. It has many issues but I never found it especially egregious, I think it's still a somewhat enjoyable game. The original FF to FFII reminds me a lot of Zelda to Zelda II with radical changes to design philosophy between game 1 and 2.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly didn't mind it for the most part, but it not having actual leveling in it is what basically makes it near last for me. Hitting your own dudes to level up weapons or stats is not fun.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
OP lists everything good about the game. Firion's design is dope, too.

BUT the actual game is a slog to play. The obtuse leveling mechanics just aren't fun, the difficulty is hard and not in a good way like OP implies, and the game is the definition of "wonk." Everything feels wonky and experimental.

The story and atmosphere aren't bad - better than FF3 for sure - but it's not enough to save the game. I think FFII would have been much more enjoyable back when it was first released and nobody knew what to expect from a sequel, there weren't many big RPGs on NES at all, and people would have been less aware of and more forgiving of its really, really weird game design.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
I'll admit that I didn't hear alot of good things about FF2. It wasn't that it was a bad game, but when you compared it to the others in the series, it is a bit of the black sheep apparently. Wouldn't mind giving it a shot though.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
So, how is the gameplay... if you DON'T intentionally abuse the leveling system by beating yourself up?

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do love the characters and their designs in FF2. Leila and Minwu are both great.

That's all I will say about the game.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
It may be the first game to feature chocobos, but it also has by far the most annoying and repetitive chocobo theme in the entire series. Thank goodness Uematsu recognized this and fixed it in FFIII.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
So, how is the gameplay... if you DON'T intentionally abuse the leveling system by beating yourself up?

It's fine. You can do everything you want and get somewhere.

You'd actually NOT want to beat yourself up because raising hit points isn't worth anything. You just have to understand that you need to use shields to raise crucial stats such as evade and agility and that's it, the rest is what you make of it

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I could ever stand to play through the original version from what I've heard of it, but I thought the remakes were pretty fun! It's not amazing at everything it tries but it does enough to stand out well from FF1 and FF3. Not sure about the original but I felt the GBA version was pretty decent on difficulty. It probably makes the game too easy, but in a game like FF2 it's a tough balance to hit...

I feel it actually handles death better than FF4, which tries to bring that story/character focus back but kinda overdoes it and makes it a little cheesy. From a "historical" perspective FF2's also just as interesting to play through as the rest of the NES/SNES-era games, to see where several major recurring elements originated.

Really FF3 is the only one of the NES games where I think the original is better. The remake is better programmed which helps a lot in some of the harder dungeons, but despite that I don't feel it's as enjoyable to play through.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I played the GBA version, so I think it's the worst good Final Fantasy, and the 3rd worst overall.

Arguably has the best Amano art though. Some really gorgeous work:

DkfeeWzU8AEeV-K.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Ya know, I think I WILL give it a try now. Thanks op!!

(Not kidding. Completely serious)
It's the only mainline game I've never played through outside of 15 and the online games so why not. The time is NOW.

Oct 26, 2017
I really like the game. The simplistic narrative that shows just how horrible war in a fantasy world can be as well as the general atmosphere of the world is incredible.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
the psp version i played is fine, its classic final fantasy turn based gameplay
It's fine. You can do everything you want and get somewhere.

You'd actually NOT want to beat yourself up because raising hit points isn't worth anything. You just have to understand that you need to use shields to raise crucial stats such as evade and agility and that's it, the rest is what you make of it
Well maybe I will play it sometime, I didn't dislike my time with FF1 GBA and I am an adult with at least a modicum of impulse control.

So you need to equip a shield and get attacked for your evade/agility to go up, is that what you mean?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed it as well, in the remakes(not famicom original) you really didn't need to actively inflate your stats by wasting your time beating on yourself needlessly either. People are willfully robbing themselves of some great chaos and wildly unique party makeups by forcing themselves into min/max nonsense.

Just roll with it, use abilities at will, common sense largely will dictate skill ups and it can be actually a thrill having a true glass cannon to concern over while your musclebound front fighter is a true tank. A real shame it gets dragged through the mud because of some insistence to cultivate an OP party through tedious means at the fault of the players.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Well maybe I will play it sometime, I didn't dislike my time with FF1 GBA and I am an adult with at least a modicum of impulse control.

So you need to equip a shield and get attacked for your evade/agility to go up, is that what you mean?

Shields raise evasion so you would need to dodge attacks to raise the stat. Slapping shields while moving around in the overworld should be enough as long as you have one character beating up the monsters

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Once was enough for me, OP. I appreciate it for being an experiment that would lead into and refined in the SaGa series, but I extremely dislike the battle system(it had one of the worst magic systems in the series) and the dungeon design of this game. I found it to be a bore to play.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Played it and made an earnest effort to get to grips with the mechanics. Still didn't care for it.

Other than some good music it is still one of the weakest entries in the series.

OP
OP

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya know, I think I WILL give it a try now. Thanks op!!

(Not kidding. Completely serious)
It's the only mainline game I've never played through outside of 15 and the online games so why not. The time is NOW.
tenor.gif

Lol... nice thread, OP!

I actually own this on my Android phone, but I haven't played it. Is the Android version good?
i dont like touch controls, but its based on the psp version so its good