• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we looking at the same stuff?

For starters, I think the mirror is the least interesting aspect of this. What's fascinating is the complete simulation of light and shadow across every object and every surface big or small, that bridges the gap between typical game graphics and something that looks way more authentic and real.

Are people cynical or just not paying close attention?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria

For starters, I think the mirror is the least interesting aspect of this. What's fascinating is the complete simulation of light and shadow across every object and every surface big or small, that bridges the gap between typical game graphics and something that looks way more authentic and real.

I thnk the big focus on the character model draws attention to there. This is a weird demo to showcase raytracing.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Looks awesome!

Because there shouldn't be any new R&D or competition within game engine space, right?
Because Square Enix employs an entire staff of developers who's experience and responsibilities involve creating content with said engine - and also to sustain/improve/iterate on the technology that they built?
Well, they gotta proof that they have improved the work with it massively, otherwise is just a bid hinderance. Also remember KH3 ditched this and used UE4.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to know why making a woman cry is the most tech demo thing to do, lol. Someone should make a video showing every woman that was made to cry to show how good the tech is.

OP
OP
Strings

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Well, they gotta proof that they have improved the work with it massively, otherwise is just a bid hinderance. Also remember KH3 ditched this and used UE4.
That was more because they didn't have anyone free to help them with adapting to the engine at the time - they were all still on FFXV.

We'll see how the next project they use it for comes together I guess. Hard to judge an engine built alongside a game.

EDIT: This French article is a sourced explanation. The Worldwide Technology Director for SE (Julien Merceron) advised them to restrict development to one game until the engine was finished after Crystal Tools had caused huge problems for XIII, XIV and XIII Versus simultaneously.

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i wasnt that impressed, looks like a game cutscene.
honestly the more videos of ray tracing that i see, the more it is starting to feel like a waste of resources compared to other graphical effects or other graphical improvements that could achieve a clearer visual advancement

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it? I still think this looks just okay for what it is. Can I have that opinion?

Well, you can like or dislike it, enjoying something is subjective, and some people are much less able to notice details -- but you're objectively wrong if you believe there's nothing different about it compared to pre-RTX tech demos or any retail product that currently exists.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I launched Detroit for the first time last night and wow it is almost on par with this tech demo. Quantic Dream guys sure know what they're doing graphics wise.

N.. No?

Detroit looks nice but if anyone thinks that it looks almost as good as this tech demo I think the world is going mad. This thread is making me think the world is going mad ATM.

1er tigre

Oct 28, 2017
Of course not but at least, the difference is not huge or breathtaking. Diminishing returns I guess...

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
See, just look at reactions in this thread. People are convinced RT is about water puddle and neon signs reflecting in them now :p
But reflection is the gimmick, realistic lights are the real deal.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See, just look at reactions in this thread. People are convinced RT is about water puddle and neon signs reflecting in them now :p
But reflection is the gimmick, realistic lights are the real deal.

Yeah, it's not about a gimmick. It's not about the mirror. It's about everything else. I mean, the mirror is obviously part of it, but it's not just about the mirror..

The assets in the scene are not unprecedented in games. They are good, but not unprecedented, but the assets also aren't the subject of the tech demo. They're not the point. The point is the complete simulation of light and shadow that, prior to about a year ago, was never even once in history seen running in real time on consumer grade hardware. It's a complete and total paradigm shift and people are only noticing a mirror.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Yeah, it's not about a gimmick. It's not about the mirror. It's about everything else.

The assets in the scene are not unprecedented in games. They are good, but not unprecedented, but the assets also aren't the subject of the tech demo. They're not the point. The point is the complete simulation of light and shadow that, prior to about a year ago, was never even once in history seen running in real time on consumer grade hardware. It's a complete and total paradigm shift and people are only noticing a mirror.

I mean SE should have put some sort of spoon there so you can see her in it and people can get it!

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I was never really graphics tech guy in the first place, but I just don't really get Ray Tracing stuff.... not just about this tech demo but other stuff I have seen as well.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
This engine always felt like it was designed more for PS5, FFXV might have been better served on Unreal 4.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are people really serious about this 'not enough of a difference' to really get the message. If you are a console only gamer(which is a fair bet in this forum), the shadows are miles ahead of anything you can play right now.

Deleted member 39450

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Boston, MA

I don't think you can blame people for not seeing a radical difference as physically-based realtime renderers like UE4 have been simulating these effects for years; this just happens to be achieving it more accurately with the aid of new hardware.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I was never really graphics tech guy in the first place, but I just don't really get Ray Tracing stuff.... not just about this tech demo but other stuff I have seen as well.

Just think that instead of faking how light, atmosphere and materials work by clever composing of effects, you simulate their physics. It s much more accurate (but computationally intensive). It might look the same at quick first glance, because modern artists and engine creators are very talented at faking, but the brain will register the scene as real when the simulation is mature enough because the details only caught on subconscious level will ring true to real life physics principles. We are not there yet, but advancing.
The draw back is that by faking you are much more able to imprint the visual style and mood... with RT you will have to emulate the movies techniques.
When I do 3d scenes nowadays, I have to lit my scenes like I do when I do studio photography, and make sure the scale is life perfect, because we use raytracing. I create fake spot lights, put fake white drapes, put fake obscuring slabs, etc, because the renderer simulate light. It s closer to real life techniques.

May 17, 2018
I don't care for realism in games. We're nowhere near passing the uncanny valley thing yet and I just find it off putting. Give me stylised realism like In Red Dead or HZD any day.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Can I get a slider that I can move around that's shows rtx on/off? Cause this doesn't look any better than Detroit, or that demo they did back at PS4's announcement.