Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Last Jedi opened to 89% of its predecessor's opening weekend, yet ended up grossing only two-thirds of it domestically at the end of its run. Its hype as a must-see event film carried over mostly, but I don't think it's disputable that it had drastically weaker legs overall. Audiences didn't like The Last Jedi anywhere near as much as they did The Force Awakens.

Does that affect the franchise? We'll see. At least when it comes to spinoffs that are only narratively related tangentially, like Solo, box office remains well intact with the $170 million opening. But I don't think distaste for The Last Jedi is as contained to internet cubby holes as many think.

It's why I'm comfortable with predicting a $160-170 million opening for Episode IX. Not quite a Batman v. Superman to Justice League drop, but large nonetheless.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ok, just looked it up. Empire made 70% of what ANH did and episode 2 did 65% of what episode 1 did. So you all are right, it's TFA to TLJ is basically in line with those numbers. Still didn't like the movie, though.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
The Last Jedi opened to 89% of its predecessor's opening weekend, yet ended up grossing only two-thirds of it domestically at the end of its run. Its hype as a must-see event film carried over, but I don't think it's disputable that it had drastically weaker legs overall. Audiences didn't like The Last Jedi anywhere near as much as they did The Force Awakens.

Does that affect the franchise? We'll see. At least when it comes to spinoffs that are only narratively related tangentially, like Solo, box office remains well intact with the $170 million opening. But I don't think distaste for The Last Jedi is as contained to internet cubby holes as many think.

It's why I'm comfortable with predicting a $160-170 million opening for Episode IX. Not quite a Batman v. Superman to Justice League drop, but large nonetheless.

Jumanji ate it up and spit it out!

Personally, I watched TFA 4 times in theatres. I loved that movie and it was a complete joy every time I watched it, and I got hyped all over again every time Jedi Steps played leading to the final confrontation.

TLJ, whether you think it was good or bad, was fucking heartbreaking. Just a complete downer for the entire run time. I didn't want to experience that again after the first viewing, and it seems like I wasn't alone.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The Last Jedi opened to 89% of its predecessor's opening weekend, yet ended up grossing only two-thirds of it domestically at the end of its run. Its hype as a must-see event film carried over mostly, but I don't think it's disputable that it had drastically weaker legs overall. Audiences didn't like The Last Jedi anywhere near as much as they did The Force Awakens.

TFA was a once in decades type of event. Of course people saw it more and it had better legs. But it's overall box office totals match up with ANH->ESB and TPM->AOTC.

ROTS actually performed better than ATOC, so there's also that. I bet we see at least 220M if not higher, and a finish of 1.6B for EP9.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017

The Force Awakens only had competition in Sisters, Daddy's Home, and Alvin and the Chipmunks in 2015.

2017, The Last Jedi had Jumanji come in fairly quickly, along with Greatest Showman and a whole slew of award films getting wide release.

I think Last Jedi had stronger competition this go-around, on top of the Star Wars return factor in 2015.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
TFA was a cinematic and cultural event that will probably never be duplicated again because of the circumstances surrounding it, much like Infinity War.

Infinity War is part of the culmination that's been building up for 10 years and 18 movies, all leading to Thanos. Something like that is crazy, it'll get people who don't even really care about Marvel movies into the theater just to know what it's all about.

TFA was the first Star Wars movie in over ten years, and to many maybe the first good one since 1983, and not only that, but it was going to bring back Leia, Han Solo and Luke Skywalker, these pillars of American pop culture. I remember family members who had never seen a Star Wars film before, who had never given a single fuck about it, going to the theater to see TFA just because it was THE thing everyone was talking about in December 2015.

You really can't compare The Last Jedi to TFA in those terms, it's completely unfair.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
That doesn't really address the question. TLJ still made less than half of what TFA did. What if Black Panther 2 makes less than half the first one? Would that be a normal sequel drop?

I mean your point is crabbed because TFA made ridiculous money. No one expected it to make that. And Disney didn't expect TLJ to make the same money. The fact it made 1.3 billion told Disney that while hitting TFA heights again was unlikely, they could almost guarantee a billion dollarStar Wars film a year.

Not to mention how your analogy is flawed. BP isn't a film people have been waiting thirty years to see. Of course that film is going to make more money than a sequel put out two years later.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
TFA was a once in decades type of event. Of course people saw it more and it had better legs. But it's overall box office totals match up with ANH->ESB and TPM->AOTC.

ROTS actually performed better than ATOC, so there's also that. I bet we see at least 220M if not higher, and a finish of 1.6B for EP9.
Jumanji sequel is coming for part 2 though. I wouldn't be surprised if that actually had an impact.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Seeing the first show at my local cinema when it hits. Hope it's good (the trailers gave me hope) but idk about cashing in on these origin stories.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at my local area, only 25 people bought tickets to the opening night event so far and there are Friday showings that are basically untouched. People here will probably dismiss that as a meaningless anecdote but I have a feeling we are looking at a movie poised to dramatically underperform

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at my local area, opening night is sold out event so are the Friday showings. People here will probably dismiss that as a meaningless anecdote but I have a feeling we are looking at a movie poised to make or get really close to a billion dollars.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

His point is valid, it's actually generous to compare it against TFA because it doesn't accurately explain how weak its legs actually were. It's not just against TFA, but other movies that TLJ shows weak legs. It made most of its money because of the first three weeks falling within Christmas, but after than its declines were very noticeable.

Head to head

Rogue One grossed only 522m domestically and opened to 65 million dollars less than The Last Jedi.

Opening
The Last Jedi: 220 million
Rogue One: 155 million

Starting in week 4-5 Rogue One decisively overtook The Last Jedi in daily earnings and never gave up the lead.

And it's not like there were monsterous releases siphoning TLJ or Jumanji wasn't showing great holds during the same period.

In fact it wouldn't surprise me if The Last Jedi has the worst opening week multiplier in franchise history.

EDIT: Aside from the Clone Wars cartoon stealth launch, it does indeed have the worst legs in franchise history and The Last Jedi is actually closer to the Clone Wars theatrical performance than it is Rogue One's.

The Phantom Menance: 7.32
Attack of the Clones: 3.88
The Force Awakens: 3.78
Revenge of the Sith: 3.51
Rogue One: 3.43
The Last Jedi: 2.82
Clone Wars 3 episode theatrical release: 2.41

And here are other movies with similar opening profiles to The Last Jedi that became 600m earners:

The Force Awakens: 3.78
Black Panther: 3.43
Jurassic World: 3.12
The Avengers: 3.01

Something went wrong with the Last Jedi, this isn't something that's subjective. Viewership was soft in comparison to other films and historical performance for the franchise.Yet there are still posters who are adamant that The Last Jedi as no more controversial or disliked than The Force Awakens.

I mean your point is crabbed because TFA made ridiculous money. No one expected it to make that. And Disney didn't expect TLJ to make the same money. The fact it made 1.3 billion told Disney that while hitting TFA heights again was unlikely, they could almost guarantee a billion dollarStar Wars film a year.

Not to mention how your analogy is flawed. BP isn't a film people have been waiting thirty years to see. Of course that film is going to make more money than a sequel put out two years later.

TLJ missed expectations by hundreds of millions and routinely missed daily and mid week projections, and in the case of weekend projections (that are updated twice to the public before release, mid week and then on friday) The Last Jedi most often missed even revised downward projections. This isn't a matter of Disney expecting TLJ to gross as much as TFA, this is a matter of the movie objectively under-performing. We don't need to compare it against monoliths to see this.

Last edited:

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and a lot of my casual Star Wars fan friends aren't feeling the new Han Solo actor.

I really can't tell how well this movie will do, although Disney is pushing it really hard(more than even TLJ maybe).

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and a lot of my casual Star Wars fan friends aren't feeling the new Han Solo actor.

I really can't tell how well this movie will do, although Disney is pushing it really hard(more than even TLJ maybe).

My Star Wars friends are not interested either, myself included. Grabbed this earlier from my local cinema, It was packed out for TLJ pre-booking. I just don't think enough people like Disney star wars, or even care about the spin offs.

Dd34lN_VwAAHzU_.jpg

Kite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Variety is saying $130-150 million but could also be $180 million over the 4 day. No one knows it seems~

"Solo: A Star Wars Story" is looking to lift off with $130 million to $150 million at 4,380 locations over Memorial Day weekend. While that is down significantly from tracking earlier in May that suggested the film would open between $165 million and $175 million, some are still projecting the "Star Wars" prequel could make as much as $180 million over the four-day holiday weekend.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/solo-a-star-wars-story-box-office-opening-preview-1202818890/

Oct 25, 2017
Taking my wife and kids tomorrow at 7 to Alamo. Their first opening night, I've usually just gone to the theater myself and they've waited for a couple weeks. So, that's earlier money from me.

Will probably go again in the next week just myself.

shtolky

Oct 27, 2017
My Star Wars friends are not interested either, myself included. Grabbed this earlier from my local cinema, It was packed out for TLJ pre-booking. I just don't think enough people like Disney star wars, or even care about the spin offs.

Dd34lN_VwAAHzU_.jpg

You're comparing the pre-reception of this movie to one that had the 2nd highest grossing weekend of all time. Just because the spin-offs don't do as well financially doesn't mean that enough people don't like Disney Star Wars or even care about the spin offs. This movie is going to make a lot of money and be successful and for some reason people seem to be actively rooting against it. My showing on Saturday night is pretty much sold out in NYC. When compared to other movies, tons of people care and go see these movies.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Dd34lN_VwAAHzU_.jpg
TFA/TLJ are Disney Star Wars. R1 did a billion, so people do care about spin-offs. Maybe they just don't care as much about this particular spin-off. And who knows, we'll have to see how it actually performs.

Oct 27, 2017
You're comparing the pre-reception of this movie to one that had the 2nd highest grossing weekend of all time. Just because the spin-offs don't do as well financially doesn't mean that enough people don't like Disney Star Wars or even care about the spin offs. This movie is going to make a lot of money and be successful and for some reason people seem to be actively rooting against it. My showing on Saturday night is pretty much sold out in NYC. When compared to other movies, tons of people care and go see these movies.

It needs to make a lot of money, that re-shooting cost them a bomb.

If pre-booking a seat a couple of days before a Star Wars opening weekend is not a gauge of interest, I don't know what is.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Got a seat for first showing tomorrow. Was pretty much sold out, got an okay end seat just for myself luckily.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Opening numbers in Paris are less than a third of Rogue One's opening.

Edit: just checked the reviews, they are much worse over here than in America apparently.

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I know it's heavily anecdotal but my midnight screening starting in 7 hours is DEAD:

KwsRCrc.png

Given the general apathetic sentiment online, could the movie underperform expectations? The casuals will ensure there's no way it grosses under $700m worldwide, but I'm thinking it'll come in way under Rogue One?

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully more people see the article about the production and the reviews.
The article about production showed the cast being very positive about Ron Howard after the switch and it got solid reviews.

Neither of what you mentioned are things that would make people not want to see it lol.

I love the narrative that Solo got bad reviews yet the nearly identically scoring Jumanji was praised for good reviews.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Who still goes to midnight screenings though? It's all about those 7pm Thursday shows now.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I plan on seeing Deadpool 2 this weekend

Will see solo when it's out on bluray

Skinny Pete

Nov 2, 2017
The theaters by me have plenty of seats opening night. Hell the 10 o'clock show hasn't even sold a single ticket yet. I don't see $170 Mill. I'll say $140 over the 3 day weekend.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
The article about production showed the cast being very positive about Ron Howard after the switch and it got solid reviews.

Neither of what you mentioned are things that would make people not want to see it lol.

I love the narrative that Solo got bad reviews yet the nearly identically scoring Jumanji was praised for good reviews.

It is really a case of expectations, though. Nobody would've been surprised if Jumanji got 14% on RT but expectations are a little higher for a Star Wars movie under Kathleen Kennedy.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok, just looked it up. Empire made 70% of what ANH did and episode 2 did 65% of what episode 1 did. So you all are right, it's TFA to TLJ is basically in line with those numbers. Still didn't like the movie, though.

Yeah, but people aren't interested in facts, they want to believe that TLJ did worse than TFA because people disliked it, which is bullshit.

TFA also had a ridiculous domestic run; there was no way TLJ was going to match it. (Hell, I don't think anything will for a very long time)

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The way they treated Lord & Miller was despicable. Fuck Disney.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

Dd34lN_VwAAHzU_.jpg

Disney has put out two Star Wars movies and one spinoff and all 3 are in the all time domestic box office top 10 and made over a billion dollars world wide....but you claim people don't care about Disney Star Wars and backed it up with an anecdote and screenshot of a single showing so I just don't know what to think.

Lifejumper

#1 Celtics fan / #7 Serbia fan
Oct 25, 2017
Disney has put out two Star Wars movies and one spinoff and all 3 are in the all time domestic box office top 10 and made over a billion dollars world wide....but you claim people don't care about Disney Star Wars and backed it up with an anecdote and screenshot of a single showing so I just don't know what to think.

People really live in a bubble.