• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pacing yes, but the actual editing is fine, it's the direction and writing that force the editing to lose important moments.

It isn't though.

There's so many cuts and scene transitions during the first 45 minutes or so. Some of the transitions aren't even good.

Like in the beginning when Kylo asks Palpatine "who the girl is" the scene should transition to Rey mediating, instead we go to Poe, Chewie, and Finn playing checkers on the falcon.

That's just amateurish.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I knew JJ would try to save the trilogy for the vocal crowd that cried for two years straight.

Good job.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
It isn't though.

There's so many cuts and scene transitions during the first 45 minutes or so. Some of the transitions aren't even good.

Like in the beginning when Kylo asks Palpatine "who the girl is" the scene should transition to Rey mediating, instead we go to Poe, Chewie, and Finn playing checkers on the falcon.

That's just amateurish.

The girl should've been Chewie all along, then it would've been masterful

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Poe, Finn, Rey, and Chewie being together was the best thing about the film.

Should have just made a group buddy comedy.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pacing yes, but the actual editing is fine, it's the direction and writing that force the editing to lose important moments.
No

This film is edited poorly. There's definitely major important moments and lines in this movie that are zoomed past without any breathing room. Leia's death is arguably the worst thing I've ever seen in a Star Wars movie. And that's all horrible jumbled editing that makes everything look amatuer instead of natural and organic.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
After the shit this trilogy turned out to be, I'm avoiding Star Wars like a bad fungus.
Both JJ and Rian should be banned from making another movie. What a shit show.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No

This film is edited poorly. There's definitely major important moments and lines in this movie that are zoomed past without any breathing room. Leia's death is arguably the worst thing I've ever seen in a Star Wars movie. And that's all horrible jumbled editing that makes everything look amatuer instead of natural and organic.

When Finn and Poe board the falcon from the death star ruins, in the next scene they're already at the rebel base!

Shit is wack.

GUTS

Oct 26, 2017
If JJ is still the director for TROS then delaying the movie isn't gonna make things better

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so excited to watch this movie now, hopefully at a matinee this weekend

Sounds like people hate it more than TLJ, and that was my favorite in the series since Empire.

Never disliked a Star Wars flick yet, and I can't stand the MCU

curious what you think

easily my least favorite movie in the franchise, and I'm also in the "TLJ is the best one since Empire" camp

like, after rewatching the PT for the first time in over a decade, I now have a significant appreciation for those, too...but TRoS left me cold, even if I was able to enjoy it on a rather basic level

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As some have said JJ Abrams probably has more in common with Michael Bay than anyone else.

Similar visual style, similar pacing to stories, similar plotting.

Bay is better at action.

Abrams' characters have more heart.

But other than that they're pretty similar.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
"Look, sure, it's fan service," the editor said, "[but] if you didn't service the fans, it would be, 'Oh, he didn't go along with the history of 'Star Wars' and what it all means.'"

I think it's very sad that the reaction from some basement dwellers to TLJ had such an influence on this production. They were afraid to upset the "fans" with this film and that's a terrible position to be in.

This film doesn't surprise the audience, it doesn't challenge the audience, it doesn't inspire the audience. It's just a hurried rehash of the Star Wars greatest hits.

Now perhaps the challenging schedule is the main reason that the film is so lazy and shoddy in it's construction, but this is what happens when selling toys becomes more important than making a good film. When Carrie Fisher died and Trevorrow got fired, they needed to pump the brakes and delay the film. They didn't and now the brand has been damaged by this mess.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
A reminder that the film was originally planned for May 2019, JJ asked for and got an extension to December 2019. Dude was given more time and did nothing of value with it. He doesn't get a pass.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Abrams' characters have more heart.

And well done to him for creating such wonderful characters in TFA. I believe he could have made TROS better because I look at TFA as a good example, I love the character interactions in that movie. Han and Kylo, Kylo and Rey, Rey and Finn, Finn and Poe, Poe and BB8, there were so many good relationships.

Something went wrong though, probably many things. I doubt we can blame any one specific thing.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
So it's a confession of guilt that they made it safe and retconned TLJ to appease the weird Reddit dorks.

It's a story with no integrity whatsoever and I have no idea how anyone can be emotionally invested in it after the creators have said this

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And well done to him for creating such wonderful characters in TFA. I believe he could have made TROS better because I look at TFA as a good example, I love the character interactions in that movie. Han and Kylo, Kylo and Rey, Rey and Finn, Finn and Poe, Poe and BB8, there were so many good relationships.

Something went wrong though, probably many things. I doubt we can blame any one specific thing.

Note I said he basically is Michael Bay. Just because his characters have more heart doesn't really negate the other aspects of the comparison. As a storyteller he's quite similar to Bay more than Spielberg.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A reminder that the film was originally planned for May 2019, JJ asked for and got an extension to December 2019. Dude was given more time and did nothing of value with it. He doesn't get a pass.

Don't recall ever hearing that. That would've been less than a 2 year gap and 2 year gaps are already a fast turn around for SW movies.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Don't recall ever hearing that. That would've been less than a 2 year gap and 2 year gaps are already a fast turn around for SW movies.

Via Wikipedia...

In late April 2017, Disney announced that the film would be released on May 24, 2019.[47] A month later, filming was expected to begin in January 2018,[48] but this was later pushed back to August. In August 2017, it was announced that Jack Thorne would rewrite the script.[49] On September 5, 2017, Lucasfilm stated that Trevorrow had left the production following creative differences.[50] The Hollywood Reporter reported that his working relationship with Kathleen Kennedy had become unmanageable after failing to deliver a satisfactory script, despite writing several drafts.[51] Johnson was rumored as the top choice to replace Trevorrow as director,[52] but stated "it was never in the plan for me to direct Episode IX."[53] The next day, it was announced that J. J. Abrams, the director of The Force Awakens, would return to direct the film,[54] and that the film's release date would be moved to December 20, 2019

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol this all sounds like those dumb reddit rumours might even have a little truth to them...which is crazy.

how did Disney fuck this one up.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
lol this all sounds like those dumb reddit rumours might even have a little truth to them...which is crazy.

how did Disney fuck this one up.
forcing people to be in a rush tends to end poorly in any and every industry.

I would like to think Disney executives are clear on the difference between being in a hurry and rushing. And yet, they didn't give a project and brand that really deserves to be given the "it's ready when it's ready" space what it needed. So here we are, with a broken Episode 9. Unclear to me if shareholders will be happy or not, given this was done for them and not us.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Strangely, I actually believe this (or at least that this isn't far from the truth). The editing and pacing of the cut we got is so fucking amateurish that I honestly can't imagine a professional like JJ approving it.

Not sure if I buy that story.

Why is ghost Luke and ghost Luke/Leia still allowed in the film for China (not to mention ghost Yoda in TLJ)

Disney snuck into John Boyega's home and misplaced his script so it would get leaked onto eBay?

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
It seems like JJ makes a lot of last minute decisions when it comes to Star Wars. Remember Constable Zuvio, a character who was featured heavily in the merchandise, being in the first wave of action figures, getting his own book, and then is completely absent from the movie?

Sounds like this was a comedy of errors.

Had to ditch the original script/director.
Carrie Fisher passes away and they have to use recycled footage.
They hired Batman v. Superman's Chris Terrio
They brought JJ back, and rushed the writing of the script, shooting, and editing.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing how Endgame and this piece of trash movie came out the same year. One will go down in history as a cinematic success story and the other one will be lucky if it's not considered the worst movie in the franchise.

There needs to be a shakeup at Lucasfilm because screwing up a main Star Wars trilogy the way these people did is beyond amazing.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Jesus, everyone in production has just abandoned fucking ship, haven't they?

I don't think I've ever seen this before, certianly not on a movie with this kind of budget. It hasn't been 3 weeks since Rise of Skywalker came out and actors and now production teams are all copping to how shit it is.

No one's doing that. Saying production issues existed isn't saying the film is shit. If it were, then A New Hope was the biggest pile of poo in cinema history.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm so excited to watch this movie now, hopefully at a matinee this weekend

Sounds like people hate it more than TLJ, and that was my favorite in the series since Empire.

Never disliked a Star Wars flick yet, and I can't stand the MCU

TLJ was also my favourite since Empire. RotS is.. something alright.
It's basically Michael Bay doing Star Wars in the MCU

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
this is off topic but isn't it weird how the art of the rise of skywalker is released like, five months after the film, wheras the other two companion books were released the same day?
i'm hypothesising that they really need time to massage the narrative of the behind-the-scenes drama, but perhaps it's for some thing far more mundane.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine Kennedy is going to be sacked ASAP at this point.

Well, I think Lucas basically hand picked her to take his treatments and for them to do it. I feel massive changes occured and he isn't too happy about it, though I haven't heard anything from him recently (I don't really even seek it out, he sold SW so whatever). But I bring it up because I beleive she was meant to do this trilogy as producer and then I kind of always expected someone else to come in. This run did have some success, both in story canon and money. Rouge One is pretty accepted into the SW universe as only supportive to 1-6. Mando is really hitting home for people also. I really enjoyed the story in Jedi Fallen Order (I don't know how involved she was in this). For me, it all fell apart with TLJ, because it doesn't really sync up with the over all arc of 1-6.

It would be fine to have TLJ luke, but we didn't have any real precedent for him to be that way because we never really saw why/how he got so defeated that he would disconnect from the force, run, and leave his SISTER (who is the reason he went ape shit on Vader in ROTJ... So all of this leads it to be very forced.

TFA's big build up memics how fans for decades wondered what would happen with Luke... After I saw TFA, I was like "Damn, well I guess the build up will just get the pay off next movie." And, well, with the forced narrative we got, that build up got tossed over his shoulder because of convience in what they wanted to show. I still think TLJ could have been completely acceptable for the continuation of Luke if we had seen a fleshed out version of his academy falling.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I imagine Kennedy is going to be sacked ASAP at this point.

She needs to go. She was in charge and Fu*** up 4,5 out of 5 movies . Rogue one was saved by the 3rd act.

The fact she wasn't let go much earlier is crazy for such a huge company like Disney. They were firing people left and right on these movies.

No way she will stay. Hope favreau and feloni with George Lucas take over.

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
Disney had SIX movies make over a billion dollars in 2019 (one of which was THE HIGHEST GROSSING MOVIE OF ALL TIME), and still they insisted that Rise of Skywalker release in December. A delayed movie is eventually good, but a rushed movie is forever bad.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Disney had SIX movies make over a billion dollars in 2019 (one of which was THE HIGHEST GROSSING MOVIE OF ALL TIME), and still they insisted that Rise of Skywalker release in December. A delayed movie is eventually good, but a rushed movie is forever bad.

Yeah, it's just pure unfiltered greed. They could afford giving SW another year. Unfortunately it wouldn't have saved this movie with J.J. and Terrio at helm though.