• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
www.polygon.com

The oral history of DC Comics’ infamous New 52 reboot

What happened when DC Comics rebooted the universe

On Aug. 31, 2011, the comic book industry was supposed to change forever. The release of Justice League #1 wouldn't just relaunch the premier superteam of DC Comics with a new origin story, but be the first of 52 new comic book series that would establish a fresh incarnation of the main DC universe. The initiative, launching throughout September 2011, was called "The New 52," and it marked the company's first attempt in more than two decades to hit the reset button on its sprawling continuity. Every superhero in the DC universe was in for a major update, with the hope of attracting a new generation of readers who could turn the publisher's fortunes around.

Debuting to impressive sales, the New 52 temporarily made DC Comics the dominant force in the industry. The event redefined the company's reputation among fans and creators — for good and ill, with as many upset about the wholesale rejection of decades of stories as excited about the new beginning it offered. Outside of comics, meanwhile, Hollywood's coinciding superhero boom came along just in time for the New 52's updated origin stories to inform Warner Bros.' Justice League, Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad, and Shazam! franchises, enshrining those changes in the minds of millions of moviegoers.

But the relaunch soon ran into trouble. Within months of its kickoff, sales of the New 52 fell on all but a handful of titles, leading to multiple cancellations and the creation of a number of replacement series that themselves would be brought to quick conclusions due to lack of sales. Behind the scenes, many creators were dealing with confusing and contradictory instructions given to them by editors and executives, or worrying about their job stability as the company tried to regain the momentum the New 52 had in its initial weeks. Of the many prominent participants Polygon contacted for this piece, many declined to speak on the subject, preferring to put a stressful period behind them.

In the end, the industry didn't change forever as a result of the New 52 — and, in fact, neither did the DC universe. Within years, 2016's DC Universe Rebirth, 2017's Doomsday Clock, and 2019's Dark Knights: Death Metalundid the continuity changes of the reboot, piece by piece. Nonetheless, the New 52 proved to be a seismic event in comics, demonstrating that one of the two largest publishers in the industry was willing to bet everything — even its own history — for the potential of a larger fan base, and what doing so actually meant in practice.
Great article with lots of anecdotes of behind the scenes stories at the time.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fialkov revealed that he had left in response to editorial demands, including that longtime Green Lantern cast member — and one of DC's most high-profile Black characters — John Stewart be killed off. (As it happened, Stewart was not killed after Fialkov left the title.)

Killing John Stewart (even though death in comics is absolutely a joke) would have been a mistake of the highest order. And I don't blame Fialkov from just straight up walking away.

May 24, 2019
The basic superhero side was messy outside of a few great things, but I loved their line of oddball books like I Vampire, Dial H, Animal Man and Demon Knights.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
This is a great article. I remember when Bleeding Cool revealed the first look at the New 52 and my heart dropped.

The biggest problem with it, story-wise, was the fact that Dan Didio and company really did try to have their cake and eat it too, where they tried to have the biggest events take place in the new continuity and no one knew what the fuck did or didn't happen.

The Death of Superman? That happened. Green Lantern's Blackest Night? That somehow happened. Knightfall? Happened.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember much being good aside from Animal Man, Action Comics and Dial H.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
Man I really loved Death Metal and justice league dark. Great stuff. But I can see how 52 was messy and confusing. It's when I decide to jump back into DC and was lost, but still, pretty cool overall. I am a massive comic book fanboy lol

Oct 26, 2017
The basic superhero side was messy outside of a few great things, but I loved their line of oddball books like I Vampire, Dial H, Animal Man and Demon Knights.

I, Vampire was really good but the later artist change really hurt the book. The "integration" of Batman into the whole thing made it obvious from the beginning that there was no plan.

EDIT: And, as always, eat shit, Dan Didio.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is a great article. I remember when Bleeding Cool revealed the first look at the New 52 and my heart dropped.

The biggest problem with it, story-wise, was the fact that Dan Didio and company really did try to have their cake and eat it too, where they tried to have the biggest events take place in the new continuity and no one knew what the fuck did or didn't happen.

The Death of Superman? That happened. Green Lantern's Blackest Night? That somehow happened. Knightfall? Happened.

They would also change shit after the fact. Was The New 52 Teen Titans the first incarnation of the team or not? The original comic said one thing, and the tpb said another.

BadHumans

Jul 28, 2020
the company lost focus when they pushed Paul Levitz out. The fact that every character's continuity was rebooted except Bats and Lantern was a huge sign that no one thought this through.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US

What's utterly insane to me is that they did the exact same thing with Rebirth.

Oct 28, 2017
Oh god the post mortem on this deserves its own book. Surprised Jim Lee wasn't mentioned more.

Last edited:

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
The truly ridiculous thing is that everyone from CBR to the Comics Journal saw this coming miles and miles away and it still happened.

Friggin Didio

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
The truly ridiculous thing is that everyone from CBR to the Comics Journal saw this coming miles and miles away and it still happened.

Friggin Didio

Man his retelling of events in the article is just so Didio.

"Everything was great! The real problems were that New 52 was TOO good!"

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
The more I look back at it; Batwoman is the only New 52 series I have ever revisited more than once. Batman wasn't bad either. But outside of that, I really wanted to like Wonder Woman & The Flash, but I couldn't get into them.

I still will never forgive this shit for being the reason Stephanie got kicked out of the Batgirl suit either.

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
Man his retelling of events in the article is just so Didio.

"Everything was great! The real problems were that New 52 was TOO good!"
I really don't even want to read it beyond what's in the op. S'gonna hurt too much

That dude had hutzpa and that was about it. Just a friggin showy NY barber of a persona.

I really really despise that dude. Amazing example of a person getting by entirely on being gregarious and pseudo sociable.

Ugh.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
What's utterly insane to me is that they did the exact same thing with Rebirth.

With Rebirth, it at least felt like trying to course-correct on a lot of respects.

I enjoyed Morrison's take on the young Superman of his run, BUT New 52 Superman was garbage and replacing him with Superman the Family Man was the best decision DC made.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah, they never really have a plan for their reboots.

I like the new 52 stuff with Firestorm.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The lack of a plan was obvious to anyone reading at the time given how often creative teams changed. And then they lost all of their hype to Marvel NOW!, which essentially did everything the New 52 wanted to do while keeping continuity.

May 24, 2019
With Rebirth, it at least felt like trying to course-correct on a lot of respects.

I enjoyed Morrison's take on the young Superman of his run, BUT New 52 Superman was garbage and replacing him with Superman the Family Man was the best decision DC made.

I thought the Greg Pak/Charles Soule Super era was fantastic until the end crossover. Pak/Kuder's Action Comics is pretty neck-and-neck with Tomasi/Gleason's Rebirth series for me.

edit: Reading the article, they didn't get nearly enough people to talk. Half of it is just Didio and Snyder.

Last edited:

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You know it was bad when even my dad, who has never followed comics, said he had heard that "DC was fucking up their comic books."

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This one panel has always stuck with me because years later, my friend showed it to me because he says it summarizes everything wrong with New 52:

qsthjegu1bo11.jpg

May 24, 2019
Was that the one where Superman was wearing a t-shirt, riding a motorcycle and kicking dudes in the junk?

That was in the later half during the DCYou era where everyone got a redesign and Batman was replaced by Jim Gordon (I actually dug the Snyder Gordon issues. They were super colourful and had the weirdest new villain.)

This is where it starts. It was a breath of fresh air after the crud that was put out after Morrison.

Amazon.com: Superman: Action Comics Vol. 5: What Lies Beneath (The New 52): 9781401254889: Pak, Greg, Kuder, Aaron: Books

Amazon.com: Superman: Action Comics Vol. 5: What Lies Beneath (The New 52): 9781401254889: Pak, Greg, Kuder, Aaron: Books

Mugenhunt

Oct 17, 2019
As a comic retailer, I got to attend the New 52 retailers conference that DC held in California, and talked to Dan Didio.

From what he explained, he had been pushing for a "New 52" style reboot for years, and always got shot down. He'd proposed it as the aftermath of Infinite Crisis, and as the aftermath of Final Crisis. Indeed, the entire finale of Final Crisis makes a lot more sense if you think that it's the end of the classic DC Universe and the beginning of a new DC reality.

The New 52 struggled a lot with things not making sense, not having a coherent plan about what makes sense and what doesn't, and a lot of pressure to make every comic the same sort of style. There was a point where every major DC character was on the run and had no fixed address. The inclusion of the Wildstorm characters was haphazard and not quite planned, and while the New 52 got a bunch of new readers into comic shops, they then found that Image was doing amazing work and started buying those comics instead. (At least, that was my experience as a retailer during that period.)

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US

That's fair- I liked some of the comics quite a bit at launch of rebirth, and I enjoyed the flash for a couple of years at least. So to say it was exactly like N52 in terms of quality isn't quite accurate.

However, I'd say that within a year, they lost the creative direction they regained. And what's worse, the continuity was totally screwed up. It seemed a lot of writers weren't even sure what characters and events were canon.

Emperor_El

Oct 29, 2017
De-aging Batman while trying to keep the his and the Robin's history intact was dumb as hell. Nightwing, Red Hood and Batman were all practically the same age. Not having a guideline of what happened and what didn't really made things confusing.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Arguably the DCEU films suffered from this direction a bit too. Younger, brasher Superman. Older, or at least experienced Batman. Geoff Johns writing.
The Frank Miller inspiration stuff got blended in with Nu52 Justice League forms due to Darkseid stuff and came out all weird.
disaster021.jpg

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
"Missing the point" might as well been the plan. Some shit was just changes for the sake of changes
525102ef19d17b8ea035e7d82e7f2637.jpg

Ehhh I can give leeway to Red Beast Boy in that they were trying to tie him into the Animal Man stuff (Animals = The Red, Fauna = The Green, etc etc)

It was stupid to change it though.

May 24, 2019
I got to the Futures' End part and was so bummed that none of the writers are interviewed. I'm really curious about that one.
I guess Dan Jurgens would be happy that he got a 60 issue Batman Beyond run out of it, but it was super off, like the anti-52.
I feel like re-reading it now.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is embarrassing for me to admit in comics circles but I got back into comics for a few years starting with all the publicity following New 52. Returned to my local comic shop for the first time since my childhood and started subscribing to New 52 books.

I ended up loving Animal Man, Swamp Thing, and the Azzarello run on Wonder Woman. I also really liked the Batman & Robin run up to a certain big plot incident I won't spoil here (only maybe the first 12-15 issues before that happened). It ultimately spring-boarded me over to other contemporary things going on through the comics world that I ended up falling in love with, namely Mark Waid Daredevil, Jonathan Hickman Avengers, and Matt Fraction Hawkeye and I really loved the short run Fraction did on FF (not Fantastic Four, but FF was its sister book and I thought it was super charming albeit briefly-lived). I also came to it pretty late but the Superior Foes of Spider-Man by a then smaller-time Nick Spencer was brilliant and funny as hell. And outside of cape stuff, I got into Saga, The Wicked and the Divine...

I dropped off a few years a little ways into Marvel NOW and have only half-heartedly followed Hickman X-Men since, but that is probably the most I've actually done comic books for my lifetime, and it all started with the maligned New 52.

I subbed to a few books as a kid but I didn't really absorb and retain any of it, so it barely counts.

Zero-ELEC

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Gods, I don't even want to think about the New 52. So many good runs were cancelled to make room for it, so many character's histories and development brought back to zero.

Also I join the chorus saying fuck DiDio.

Nov 2, 2017
I was mostly out on DC before this point, but the one thing I was still reading was Grant Morrison's Batman Inc, basically the concluding act of his giant Batman arc and an entire story that's basically pulling on all the weird shit in the Batman continuity that was basically getting erased by New 52. Post-New 52, the entire book felt like a weird negotiation between the original ideas and a desire to not draw on stuff they'd just erased, and it kinda felt like that book only got finished because it's Grant Morrison and there was already a finish line in sight.