• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Halo once was supposed to put Xbox on the map as a place for original scripted programming. Instead, the adaptation of the popular video game is helping to establish another digital platform, Paramount+. According to the Paramount streamer, Halo has set a new record as the service's most-watched series premiere globally in its first 24 hours of release, topping the previous mark established by Yellowstone prequel 1883 in December.
The series, which already has been renewed for a second season, takes place in the universe that first debuted in 2001 with the launch of Xbox's first Halo game. Dramatizing an epic 26th-century conflict between humanity and an alien threat known as the Covenant, Halo stars Pablo Schreiber as the Master Chief, Spartan-117; Natascha McElhone as Dr. Halsey, the brilliant, conflicted and inscrutable creator of the Spartan super soldiers; and Jen Taylor as Cortana, the most advanced AI in human history and potentially the key to the survival of the human race.
deadline.com

‘Halo’ Sets Premiere Viewership Record For Paramount+

'Halo' has set a record as Paramount+'s most-watched series premiere globally in its first 24 hours of release, topping '1883's mark set in December.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I mean, not really all that crazy? It's the first big exclusive show isn't it?

Also the Game Pass ultimate perk that was a 30 day trial definitely helps too

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
I'm actually surprised by the first episode... went in not expecting much (learned the pitfalls of high expectations the hard way) and came out pretty satisfied.

I had a few gripes with it, some CGI pieces are not up to par... etc. But overall? pretty solid and made me interested in watching the rest of the season when it's available.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
We all thought video game movies would be the next big thing when out of nowhere the TV/streaming adaptations was where it's at.. So much coming down the pipeline, and I'm betting that they're going to be HUGE.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
As usual, no numbers were provided; for reference, the record-breaking 1883 series debut on Paramount+ also drew 4.9 million viewers in a promotional linear airing behind Yellowstone on Paramount Network. We will get a sense of the scope of Halo's viewership when Nielsen's streaming rankings for this week come out. A Paramount+ original has yet to crack the Nielsen Top 10.
I wish streaming services were more transparent about their numbers, too hard to gauge how well a show is actually doing (which of course is by design).

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's Paramount+, would have been a bad look if it didn't beat the current offerings on there.

I'm lukewarm on the pilot but hopefully the show gets better.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
congrats to everyone involved. I enjoyed the first episode very much. It's great to have all my favorite scifi shows in one place.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Loved the first half of the show--and then the second half happened lol. I'll still watch it, as it's only one episode, but I do hope things improve.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
I'm actually surprised by the first episode... went in not expecting much (learned the pitfalls of high expectations the hard way) and came out pretty satisfied.

I had a few gripes with it, some CGI pieces are not up to par... etc. But overall? pretty solid and made me interested in watching the rest of the season when it's available.
Yeah, I had fun with the first episode last night. One detail I did like was how accurately they showcased just how nasty/OP the Covenant's plasma weapons really are.

MetalAge

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 17, 2022
Its a brand new streaming service that is very very dry. And Halo is essentially its first show of this size.

It would be astonishing if Halo didn't set a record.

Paramont+ isn't long for this world.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I mean it's Paramount+, would have been a bad look if it didn't beat the current offerings on there.

I'm lukewarm on the pilot but hopefully the show gets better.
It would have been fine it didn't. It has multiple very successful Star Trek Shows, 1883 + i think 2 more Yellowstone spinoffs, icarly, Mayor of Kingstown etc.

Paramount+ is full of bangers.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, not really all that crazy? It's the first big exclusive show isn't it?

Also the Game Pass ultimate perk that was a 30 day trial definitely helps too
Star Trek dominates Paramount Plus in terms of content and viewership. ST: Discovery is the top-rated show on P+, even surpassing Yellowstone. But I suspect that Halo will eventually beat it out.

If Halo keeps on going like this, then it'll no doubt lead to other spin-offs.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Played all Halo games, never cared much about the plot. Watched the first episode yesterday with my wife and we both liked it. I mean, I'm not expecting The Expanse here, just a fun Halo show with cool alien stuff, and I got it.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I picked up a month of P+ to watch Discovery since the last episode aired and I was binged it all in 2 days. I also wanted to see if Picard was going to be any good this season as I didn't care for the last. P+ doesn't have enough for me to stay subscribed but I'll pick up a month or two when a season is over and binge a show, there isn't anything they have that gives me fear of missing out. I have never been a fan of the EU Halo universe besides the first few paper backs. ended up watching Halo and thought it was ok so far, depends on where it goes. There should have been some synergy like special armor in Halo Infinite promoting the show.

Last edited:

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Its a brand new streaming service that is very very dry. And Halo is essentially its first show of this size.

It would be astonishing if Halo didn't set a record.

Paramont+ isn't long for this world.
Paramount+ is just a rebrand after CBS and Viacom re-merged. Before that it was CBS All-Access and has been around since 2014. 8 years is already "long for this world" by tech standards.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Not surprising as there is not much else there generating buzz if you don't care about Star Trek. That and they ware pretty much giving away three months for free.

I do see a few movies I'll try and watch before my sub ends though like quiet place ii

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I'm excited to see them reach a halo in the show

I had super low expectations and it was entertaining at times.

The human girl with the covenant is fucking dumb and will be cringe but I liked seeing the Elites vs the Spartans

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Nice, happy to hear and glad it's already renewed for the 2nd season. I enjoyed the first episode and I'm intrigued by where it could go.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Ngl I think the first 15 or so minutes of the show sold a lot of people on sticking around more than anything pre-release did. Even the halo subreddit has had a surprising change of heart towards it.

I know for me at least that opening plasma shot had me go from laying down and tuning in to sitting straight up and paying full attention lol

Hope the success continues because I believe there's a lot of opportunity for great storytelling in the Halo universe.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Paramount is quietly pretty large on subs and shows that are super popular. This is pretty huge.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Fuzzy episode was terrible but like widget this show grabs attention of everyone

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
That's good but it's paramount. I can't imagine it's a super high bar to clear
Paramount+ has Star Trek, which we know is extremely popular in streaming. So it doing better than their flagship Star Trek show that's still ongoing, is a pretty big deal. Especially considering Star Trek is going through resurgence and is at its peak since TNG era as Discovery has been has found its place and been great past few seasons and other shows are doing well too.

Last edited:

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Looking forward to checking it out myself eventually as the show looked really cool. I'm behind on a lot of shows but it's definitely on my watch list. :)

Oct 30, 2017
I really enjoyed the first episode and was really caught off guard how violent and brutal it was.

I still don't really care for or like the human Covanant character they created though.

MetalAge

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 17, 2022
Paramount+ is just a rebrand after CBS and Viacom re-merged. Before that it was CBS All-Access and has been around since 2014. 8 years is already "long for this world" by tech standards.

Interesting. So the only competition are the truly truly terrible Alex Kurtzman Star Trek shows. In that case its still not a notable feat at all.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Feb 25, 2018
16 bit CGI
Cheap gore fest against non military civilians (including children) shows a lack of imagination and desire to please the bloodthirsty crowd

Blur's Halo 2 cinematics were so much better, they should have made the series.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
amazing to see the show do so well. It was a very good pilot and I enjoyed it a lot cant wait for more, glad it has been renewed for a second season. Love seeing a huge gaming franchise like this translate this well to TV.

MetalAge

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 17, 2022
amazing to see the show do so well. It was a very good pilot and I enjoyed it a lot cant wait for more, glad it has been renewed for a second season. Love seeing a huge gaming franchise like this translate this well to TV.

Big starts can easily fizzle out if it doesn't keep audiences interested and excited. The critics who have seen more, mostly don't really seem to like it that much. Of course, that might not matter. But the signs aren't all that good.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Lmao, people can't just let a thing have a moment. Have to be negative about literally everything, some of you are exhausting.