• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
this is going to be an interesting experiment, if it dosent pan out theres going to be bloodbath. the fact they point out this is a year long commitment only, if the model was to "end" in 2022 its an expensive piece to put into motion to build subs to only potentially lose them by reversing course. with the movies streaming for 31 days on the service though, were not talking a long buffet window so if subscriber retention is high maybe the pay off works regardless.

theres a few large releases here you can argue will have a huge impact, but overall theres a bunch of sequels/mid/smaller tier releases in their 2021 schedule as well.

how this plays overseas and how piracy factors in for the films is a real question but obviously they see value in the risk for 2021.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
Bold move considering it's pretty much US only service which effectively means rest of the world with no access to HBO Max get access to high quality rips day 1 and movie theaters remain non-option for probably most of the next year. Really bold..

OP
OP
SteveWinwood

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
if i was petty i would dig up a post i made from earlier this year talking about how this would eventually happen

and someone responded that that was a dumb thing to say

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
as long as i get to see them in the cinema i don't care but i fear the day cinemas are gone

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
Oh so this is why my amc stock dropped.

This is cool for those that like the option but watching a block buster movie, at the theaters, on release day, is just something that can't be matched.

I hope this isn't the end for theaters.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
That is some serious commitment. I wonder if this will only be a 2021 thing or if they are waiting to see how the sub numbers will do and keep going. If the numbers dont get to where they need by 2022 then probably doa theater only release for a bit.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
RIP movie theaters... If only there was a few billion $ set aside for just such a situation to help get businesses through... Oh yeah, there is, and the GOP are trying to drop it back into the general fund instead of letting those impacted use it.

But what does anyone expect Warner Bros. to do? Sit on them until COVID is completely over?

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
They will backpedal so fast when they see piracy rate especially if they don't expand fast enough. It is US only so far as far as i know.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Safe to say films on the scale of endgame wont ever be made again after the avatar sequels come out

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Holy fucking shit. My literal dream come true. FUCKIN' DUNE IN THE HOUSE, LITERALLY! This is one of the boldest business moves in the film industry in decades.

Rest In Peace, theaters.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Also Canadians are sooo getting fucked with Crave when it comes to this.
Shit can't even do 1080p right.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
It's about time, hopefully other studios follow suit. Sucks for movie theaters but hard to feel bad. I think alamo-like theaters and drive-in's will continue to thrive and those are the only ones I'd use anywho.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Now if Disney has the same announcement next week I might invest more into a home theater setup.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Is this the end of the billion dollar movie?

Probably. It'd be one thing if you just cleaved out the US audience but everything else was intact but international theaters will be hurting for a long time too. Going to the theater is still a more preferable option in a lot of countries than home video but it's going to take time to recover and it'll probably never be back to where it was.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Safe to say films on the scale of endgame wont ever be made again after the avatar sequels come out
There will still probably be End Game type films. But the fear for me is will there ONLY be Disney/comic book high budget films.

Does something like Blade Runner 2049 get greenlit with the budget it got under this model?

I remember people saying that the mid budget blockbuster has basically been phased out over the last few decades. This move might mean the end of high budget blockbusters that aren't considered very safe.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I'll be subbing to HBO Max at some point in the near future. Will probably take the place of my AMC A-list sub which has been frozen for the last 10 months.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I'm in the minority in thinking that this will be a temporary thing. I can't imagine the loss of ticket sales vs. new sub sign ups with these movies' revenue, and that heading into 2022 things will be back to normal and this Day 1 streaming thing will not be a permanent thing going forward. I would expect some adjustments for smaller movies, but theaters will still have a demand. I can see a number closing for good, sure, but I do not see this as a permanent thing going forward...