• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
Black folk out here impersonating doctors on my domestic flights smh
I really can't wrap my head around why they would continue to act like this is an issue.

Did they.... think that this was a black person pretending to be a doctor in order to kill whitey? Like what was their literal line of thought that made them interrupt someone trying to save another person's life three times?

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
This seems perfectly valid?
They've seen her license and walked away?
The flight attendant glanced at it and walked away, she said.

But ok

There are two explanations for this kind of response. Neither is flattering, so would you kindly explain your view? Maybe after reading the article.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Fuck this.

Fuck both of them. I don't like to speak down on anyone because of their job, but you are a glorified waitress -- after someone has shown you the pass they spent several years of hark work and study earning you have no business coming to further degrade their efforts to help someone. You got no business doing that. What exactly were you going to do for the passenger beyond what a medical professional was going to do?

The priority in a situation like that is helping the person who needs help as best you can. After the doctor showed you the pass once and gave you an out, you should have asked if there was any way you could assist instead of going to get someone else who isn't a doctor either to help you profile.

You know what, as some one who works retail there was no reason to talk down here. A simple she showed her credentials there is no need to keep questioning her would have sufficed. Rather than pretty much show how you feel about those of us with crappy jobs as if we are sub people who can't be smart.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
What I can imagined happened based upon what I read is, one person saw the ID and then more than likely sent the other to see it as it was unlikely a coincidence. They just probably talked it over and the other attendant wanted to give the ID a look too and then they both came together to support one another to do more questioning because the license isn't what they wanted to see. They wanted her to not have it so they could tell her to stop because they couldn't fathom the woman was a doctor lol. Not to mention Delta dropped the policy of needing to ask for credentials in 2016 as the article stated (but Delta said it was a helper staff that might not have been privy to the newer polices). It's very unlikely that it wasn't because of race and even that 2016 policy was formed over a very similar instance where a black doctor was turned down for a white one.

Finally, who goes through all this questioning when someone needs help. Shouldn't you be more worried about the person getting help over anything? That's what stood out to me the most. Passenger in need, but even after someone shows you that they're a doctor twice you're still trying to figure it out instead of doing something helpful lol.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
did the OP edit in that last line?

or did people just not read the OP in their haste to defend racism?

BurntFoot

Banned
Apr 10, 2018
This will always be the reality of this world. Everyone hates black folks. We're on our own.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
did the OP edit in that last line?

or did people just not read the OP in their haste to defend racism?
NGL, it kind of feels like the latter.

When it mentioned the first flight attendant asking if she was a doctor, I thought "Seems reasonable." But then I kept reading and it was obvious this was some racist bullshit.

Also, I read "I don't look the part," and figured she had like spiked blue hair or facial tattoos or something, so I clicked through and just saw a normal woman, and had a second dose of "this was some racist bullshit."

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Racists typically don't think they're being racist. These flight attendants probably think their questioning isn't offensive. Not sure this is because they feel emboldened.

Atlagev

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell is a "head doctor"?

And man, can you imagine the confusion if she'd been a DO?

Oct 27, 2017
You know what, as some one who works retail there was no reason to talk down here. A simple she showed her credentials there is no need to keep questioning her would have sufficed. Rather than pretty much show how you feel about those of us with crappy jobs as if we are sub people who can't be smart.

I'm heated at the situation, but don't take it as looking down on people regular jobs. I'm just angry that two airline staff who don't have the training to help the guy, were more interested in profiling the woman than helping the person in need.

I've worked plenty of jobs like this including some where when shit like this happens you need to get medical assistance, or otherwise be responsible for someone's safety (I still work one now while I'm studying). I've also come across a lot of airline staff in one of my jobs who put themselves on some kind of pedestal instead of realising they are regular people just like anybody else. In a situation like this, the first thing you do is provide care, if you don't have the required skill to provide that care then you get someone who does — and you don't question them, you provide assistance because the only thing important right there is the person who needs help.

I'm not gonna judge anyone on what they do to pay their bills/put food on the table, but no one should be questioning a medically trained professional who is trying to care for someone except for another medically trained professional.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I can state from personal experience as a physician who has had to intervene on 3 flights in the last 10 years (2 domestic and 1 international, in which I instructed the pilots to land the plane in order to save a man's life) I was never subject to such questioning. And one of those was a Delta flight.

Last edited:

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
and by questioning the Doctor repeatedly will distract her and make them cause a mistake

Kawaii

Oct 28, 2017
Perhaps she has a unique look, skull face tattoos, maybe a punk look that would frighten old people?

03xp-doctor-1-superJumbo-v2.jpg

Oh.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
Asking once is one thing. Another attendant not knowing the question had been asked and having to reask is another thing.

But when both of these idiots come up together and asked her a bunch more questions when she's trying to help someone. That's some good ol' racist BS.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think that poster assumed they were sub-human or stupid, just overstepping their job description.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
The person being treated could have reduced chances of coming out of a situation like this because of some racist idiots distracting the most qualified person to help them doing so.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am legit petty as fuck. If someone did that to me I would stop saving the person. This doc is a better person than me.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey at least they didn't drag her off the plane and slam her head on the seats like United does to doctors.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't think it's internalized racism or anything by her comment. I would wager she says that because she looks very young.

Which is why she didn't mind providing her ID initially. It's the followup that got her upset.

I read it as her being sarcastic since she knew they were questioning her due to her race.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
This is clearly racism and it's sad that she has to say this "I know I don't look the part". The fact that Delta had a similar situation happen before in the past makes this even more depressing.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Black folk out here impersonating doctors on my domestic flights smh
There was that one kid who was arrested for impersonating a doctor lol

This situation is terrible because the woman clearly had her license but that wasn't good enough for the prejudice flight attendants.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Those white women couldn't stand it when faced with an educated black woman that probably makes 3 times as much money as they do. They had to walk away to discuss their "how can we fuck her over" plan.

I have a feeling they won't be employed for long, especially not with Delta HQ being in black mecca Atlanta.