• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Most of Lebron's political activism/advocacy is about black American issues. Pretty sure he has more experience being a black man than a basketball player. Lebron is mostly staying in his lane talking about what he knows.

Nov 9, 2017
I really like watching Lebron play, but he is all about his own brand and making money. A real activist wouldn't care about money as much as he does.

I sort of understand him not commenting on the CCP, but is there a reason he hasn't expressed support for the Asian American communities under attack right now?

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If minorities actually got proper representation in politics then you wouldn't need athletes using their platforms to speak about problems in communities. Athletes shouldn't be pressured to get into politics but it is nice when they do because the media actually listens instead of just picking and choosing when they feel like it.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Dumb fuck, politics are involved in everything in our daily life, everyone has the right to have an opinion and to express it.

bobeth

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone with a breath should be allowed to talk about politics, what a stupid opinion to hold..

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The idea to some people that speaking up against racism and bigotry is somehow political, shows how much rot they have in their brains.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The idea to some people that speaking up against racism and bigotry is somehow political, shows how much rot they have in their brains.
Tale as old as time. If it's divisive, it's political.

This is extra rich now that I'm remembering the numerous times I've heard Zlatan talk about himself as an immigrant to Sweden and immigrant players not having a chance at the national team.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
You hear that? Leave politics up to the politicians. You know, the people who came from various lines of work... oh wait. Shut the fuck up Ibra.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
I have always had a soft spot for Milan but I enjoyed watching them get battered by Inter and Lukaku the other day. Ibra is an incredible player but he's such a prick

Dec 12, 2017
Uhh, LeBron is just being Black. And he's good at it.

This dude just said police brutality and black issues are 'soft targets'.
gzus
I really like watching Lebron play, but he is all about his own brand and making money. A real activist wouldn't care about money as much as he does.

I sort of understand him not commenting on the CCP, but is there a reason he hasn't expressed support for the Asian American communities under attack right now?
A real activist? Lol cmon

This is ridiculous. Lebron, a black American, has to be the champion of every single issue on the planet? The community he cares about already deal with enough. It's also silly that you criticize him caring about wealth when that is the very thing that gives power in today's society. He has funded free housing, a school, countless development camps, and spearheaded more than a vote.

Lebron was absolutely in the wrong to go against the HK protests, but I swear some of y'all paint a target on the dude much like Zlatan

Oct 26, 2017
The problem I have with what Zlatan said, is they ultimately become hypocrites. So I fully expect Zlatan to start saying something political to make his age shit poorly.

If you are against injustice, you don't have to speak out against every injustice else be a hypocrite. Having said that, Lebron wasn't just unwilling to speak up against the CCP: Lebron verbally attacked those who spoke out against the CCP. To me, it's beyond hypocritical what he did.

This is where I stand. It's also why Lebron kind of falls on deaf ears for me, because he went from championing rights to stopping on the dotted line when it hurts him. Silver can also go fuck off with his hypocrisy for what he said to Masai in 2019.

I guess this guy hates Muhammad Ali too?

Ali is different. He was directly affected by the nonsense regarding the government trying to bust him for being a conscientious objector. And he had shit at stake, his boxing license, his career, hell his image was at stake, and he was willing to put all of that on the line for what he believed in.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
You misread my point. Relative to his bottom line absolutely. If it's an issue of state violence (ie: fearing the US government going after him vs Chinese government ) then I could sympathize if he was silent on certain issues.

In this case his activism appears tied to how much money he stands to lose which I find hypocritical at minimum.
It is really alarming how dismissive you are being to the black experience in America. Yes Lebron is rich, but he didn't inherit it. He grew up virtually homeless and worked hard for everything he has now. Being black in America you are subjected to Government Violence from jump.

Y'all do a discredit all the situations by using them to bludgeon each other.

Mar 18, 2020
Is he going to stop speaking too, then?

This line of thinking is strangely common from western counties outside the US looking in. Would not surprise me if that was his point.

Still LeBron is a hypocrite given he is unwilling to speak up against the CCP. I guess soft targets that don't impact his bottom line are the only tbings that matters.

Happy Black History Month!

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It is really alarming how dismissive you are being to the black experience in America. Yes Lebron is rich, but he didn't inherit it. He grew up virtually homeless and worked hard for everything he has now. Being black in America you are subjected to Government Violence from jump.

Y'all do a discredit all the situations by using them to bludgeon each other.

LeBron is a famous person, and you know, from a that context, he's not using his fame and fortune to advocate for things because it's clear it affects him financially,, so I have an issue with that.

I respect your views over the years following your posts, so I just have to say i'll take it as a different perspective and certainly consider the fact I may be in the wrong. I'm certainly willing to change my pov if that is the case. I'm not mad at Lebron in anycase or refusing to buy his products, I just feel like I need to point out he is silent around the CCP's sensitive issues because of the money at stake for him.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
used to really like zlatan when i was younger since he's also from bosnian/croat immigrant parents & when i was younger there weren't really many in the spotlights so it was nice to see someone i could in a way relate to be successful & not be treated like subhuman, but nowadays? especially after this cowardly shit? samo šuti glupak. hilarious coming from someone who also used to "speak about politics" himself

usrao se dabogda pre nego što stigneš lmfao

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
LeBron has done a lot for his community, but he should do some research before speaking out about international issues. His response to the China/HK issues were so embarrassing.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Idiot confirmed, but honestly not surprising, always been an arrogant ass.

LeBron's response

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
"He was the same guy who said when he was back in Sweden ... because his last name wasn't a certain last name, that he felt there was some racism going on when he was out on the pitch," James said. "I speak from a very educated mind, so I'm kind of the wrong guy to actually go at because I do my homework."

Several years ago, Ibrahimovic said he was subject to "undercover racism" in his native Sweden because his Bosnian roots gave him a surname that doesn't sound traditionally Swedish.

"I am not Andersson or Svensson," Ibrahimovic told Canal+ in 2018, referring to what he considered racist treatment from the media. "If I would be that, trust me, they would defend me even if I would rob a bank. They would defend me, I tell you."

"I would never shut up about things that are wrong," James said following the Lakers' 102-93 win over the Trail Blazers on Friday night. "I preach about my people and I preach about equality. Social injustice. Racism. Systematic voter suppression. Things that go on in our community.

"Because I was a part of my community at one point and saw the things that was going on and I know what's going on still because I have a group of 300-plus kids at my school that are going through the same thing and they need a voice. And I'm their voice. I'm their voice and I use my platform to continue to shed light on everything that may be going on, not only in my community, but around this country and around the world.

"So, there's no way I would ever just stick to sports because I understand how this platform and how powerful my voice is. "

"As athletes, we've been hearing this for a long time," James said. "You should [feel] privileged. You should be thankful to be able to dribble a ball or run a football or be able to do the 100-yard dash or be able to swing a baseball bat and things of that nature, You shouldn't be able to speak about anything else, no matter if it's right or wrong, you should just do that. But that's not the case. That's not the case anymore. As long as I'm around, it won't be the case for a long time."

www.espn.com

LeBron to Zlatan: No way I'll ever 'stick to sports'

Los Angeles Lakers star LeBron James responded to Zlatan Ibrahimovic's criticism of his activism, saying he will "never shut up about things that are wrong."

OP
OP
YawZah

YawZah

Oct 30, 2017

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Usually, white people who tell black people to "stick to sports" are racists. So I guess Zlatan Ibrahimovic accidentally outed himself as a racist?

He played himself better than he plays football.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
Rashford reading this like:

GettyImages-596409330.jpg

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
I mean Zlatan complained about Swedish football being racist? So I'm guessing according to himself he should stfu?

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Fuck that guy. Notice they always go after left leaning athletes when telling them to "shut up and dribble." Did he also tell Drew Brees to keep his dumb, MAGA mouth shut? Doubt it.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
Ibrahimovic surely is one of the greats of football, but he is so fucking far up his own ass.