• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
December 29, 2019 because the game will be delayed again to sell more collectors edition that backers will see in envy and to actually make the DLC for the season pass that backers won't get.

I'm really confused what you are trying to say here?
Are you saying PC backers are going to be envious of something on the Epic Store?

Last edited:

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
So Epic forgot to put the asterisk by the thing. What a bunch of maroons. One more compounding factor on the pile of incompetence.
And the disclaimer is still vague and bad. What exactly is this "set?" Is it just the Peking Power Starter Pack, or all of the items mentioned in that sentence? And why can you only download it/them once?

Reading about this DLC Pass that comes with the Deluxe Edition makes me wonder if maybe Ys Net and friends will try to use that as a form of compensation for backers.
"We won't give you what we promised, but here, have this thing we were gonna make you pay extra for."
That's how that'd be received.

That plus providing Steam keys when exclusivity runs out is the most that I expect though.

Last edited:

Morgfyre

Oct 31, 2017
As for Ubisoft I don't buy their games either because I find Uplay the biggest sack of crap since Microsoft GFWL. This is a bit of a shame cos I do at least find some of their content compelling but again not compelling enough to infest my PC with their shitty client. However I mentioned Ubisoft because they are a developer that does not use Unreal Engine.
I can't comment on EA as I haven't used it lately, but these days the Uplay launcher is probably the second best when it comes to features besides Steam. They've really improved their stuff a lot these last few years.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
So Epic forgot to put the asterisk by the thing. What a bunch of maroons. One more compounding factor on the pile of incompetence.
And the disclaimer is still vague and bad. What exactly is this "set?" Is it just the Peking Power Starter Pack, or all of the items mentioned in that sentence? And why can you only download it/them once?

Lol yep it's dumb as fuck. It's literally only referring to the Peking Power Starter Pack because it's the only one with an asterisk next to it. It'll be a few items from the game to give you a head start when playing, like more cash, items you can sell, maybe something to level up once. It's been done in the past with other games and it's completely pointless. I'd rather just play the game without a head start. I've already seen people replying to tweets about the game asking why they can only download the game once. There's a lot of confusion and misinformation because Epic missed off a * on the page.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
They announced in E3 a new limited edition Collectors Edition released by Limited Run Games.
Yes, I know that, I just didn't understand the wording and the "envy" part of the post!
I don't think anybody is remotely interested in a limited collectors edition with an Epic key inside, let alone "envious"!

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Soooo when are they gonna say something? Aren't they back from E3 already?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Since EA moved to Origin I haven't touched a single game other than Mass Effect 3. Since their move to Oriign I do not feel compelled enough to play any of their shit. I don't like the battlefield series, I can't stand sport games and for the life of me I can't even think of anything else they make. I merely mentioned EA because they are a huge publisher that does not use the Unreal Engine.

As for Ubisoft I don't buy their games either because I find Uplay the biggest sack of crap since Microsoft GFWL. This is a bit of a shame cos I do at least find some of their content compelling but again not compelling enough to infest my PC with their shitty client. However I mentioned Ubisoft because they are a developer that does not use Unreal Engine.

Bethesda you already realised your mistake and I do play their games I love Fallout. However my post was not about MY buying habits it was about how most of the main publishers have abandoned the Unreal Engine in favour of inhouse engines. As far as I can see the only big publisher that still uses Unreal Engine is Microsoft. At no point did I say I WAS boycotting Unreal Engine I was just saying how Unreal Engine does not quite have the stranglehold it once had. However it is perfectly possible to enjoy much of gaming without bothering with Unreal Engine games.

I messed up again, you're totally right. It was someone else who said they'd boycott Unreal Engine games, not you. My apologies.

Regarding the UE library in general, there are still plenty of games using Unreal Engine 4. Recently, Japanese developers have begun to switch over to it as their own in-house engines are found wanting (or just to take advantage of industry knowledge and what is apparently really good Japanese documentation). Rocksteady is still a significant user. Respawn is building Jedi Fallen Order in it. Final Fantasy VII Remake is being built in it. You're right, though, in that it's easier to avoid in some ways than it was a few years back.

Regarding Shenmue III: I dunno, man. It seems like the core of this whole debacle is Deep Silver deciding to go EGS, and I don't see that being taken back anytime soon. I'm not sure how the Phoenix Point Steam keys worked though so maybe there is a solution. I'm not a boycotter of EGS or anything but I would prefer to see it available on Steam as well. I'm just not sure what options Ys Net have open to them at this point. Shitty situation in general.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I know that, I just didn't understand the wording and the "envy" part of the post!
I don't think anybody is remotely interested in a limited collectors edition with an Epic key inside, let alone "envious"!
Hence, backers will be the one being envious because the deal gets worse.
Is there anyone here still believe Epic will release the members they bought from Ys Net?

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Hence, backers will be the one being envious because the deal gets worse.
Is there anyone here still believe Epic will release the members they bought from Ys Net?
Thanks for the explanation. Forgive me, it's late where I am : /
I wonder if Ys Net have any say in the matter at all, or if it is all controlled by Deep Silver and Epic now?
Surely someone has to speak out soon?

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Bob Ross' post on the Kickstarter page of Shenmue III lists some very valid concerns ( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/2536393 ):

Bob Ross
about 8 hours ago
It's been a week since the Epic Games Store announcement at E3. I'm just going to post this set of questions again in the hopes that some of them get answered. I believe giving honest answers to them will help restore a lot of goodwill for those who feel their contributions and patience have been taken advantage of.

Respectfully, please address the following questions in the next update:

* Steam keys - we were led to believe we would be getting them for quite a long time, and being that theEpic Game Store didn't exist when we gave our money none of us paid for EGS keys, so will we get Steam keys at any point?

* Physical discs for the PC version - Deep Silver have all but confirmed it's just a code now but that's not what was advertised during the campaign, in fact one update specified all data necessary to play the game would be on a disc, will this be rectified? Epic Game Store has released no physical PC games with actual game data on discs to date, was this not a concern when negotiating a deal with them, considering so many backers paid for physical PC copies?

* Refunds - a lot of backers are being denied refunds, some have a strong case for legal recourse, particularly Slacker Backers who were told they'd get Steam copies ahead of purchase, people who purchased the physical PC version and people who purchased the trial version. In some countries you are legally obligated to accept their requests for refunds, will you?

* Platform changes - the update posted on 2018/11/22 states the surveys were closed, this was before the game was delayed to 2019/11/19 and long before the switch to using the Epic Game Store. A lot of people have changed their platform from PC to PS4 in the last week because of the Epic Game Store announcement, despite surveys being considered closed so long ago will these changes be accepted? And if Steam is brought back as an option, will we be given time to adjust our survey answers accordingly?

* Epic Games Store - we were told: "The Epic Games Store would be the best distribution platform option." If this was indeed a genuine opinion, why was releasing on a feature-barren, unpopular storefront with a small userbase, inferior security and inferior support (comparative to Steam) considered the best option? Considering Deep Silver similarly made Metro: Exodus an Epic Game Store exclusive after a period of selling pre-orders for it on Steam, it seems fair to ask did you do your due diligence regarding the Epic Game Store and research the Metro: Exodus and Phoenix Point controversies, or did leave Deep Silver to make this decision and believe what they were doing was for the best?

* $39+ wallpaper rewards - we paid four years in advance for these and we still don't have them, but right now people can pre-order the game on PSN and get a PS4 theme (wallpapers and music) that we aren't getting, why are non-backers getting these kinds of rewards before us?

* Backer-exclusive $80+ "international phone card (in-game item)" DLC - on PC will us backers ever get our DLC on our preferred platform (Steam)? Same goes for the backer-only $160+ and $250+ DLCs. Many paid extra specifically for this content and it's said to be truly exclusive to this campaign, it would be a shame for PC backers if it were only available on the Epic Game Store, even though the main game may eventually come to Steam.

* Retail version pre-orders possibly get $250+ "backer-only" DLC as part of the $74.99 PSN/Epic Game Store Digital Deluxe Edition - the pre-order bonus items that come with the retail release available to non-backers now sound very suspiciously like the $160+ and $250+ "backer-only" DLCs, if that's the case why are cheaper PSN pre-orders getting DLC that was not only supposed to be backer-exclusive, but that we had to pay a minimum of $175 more for? (For comparison, PSN/Epic Game Store Digital Deluxe pre-orders get two Technique Scrolls and the legendary Ryo's Flight Jacket, while the $160+ and $250+ pledge tier DLCs are described as two Backer-only Technique Scrolls and a Skin-change feature for Ryo's Jacket.)

* Retail version pre-order content - we backers pre-purchased four years ago, will we get all of the pre-order content that people pre-ordering much more cheaply on PSN/Epic Game Store today receive (like the Kenpogi Training outfit and Peking Power Starter Pack)?

* Season Pass - are we backers not getting the full game no matter how much we paid? Many of us paid a lot of money four years ago, why should we backers get less of the game's content than people who pay just $74.99 today? Will Season Pass content come on backers' discs or will our physical copies be incomplete? Will the Season Pass DLC contain story content? When will this content be released? Why has it been launched it so quietly as part of the retail Deluxe Edition, without any kind of announcement of its own?

* Backer-exclusive $100+ trial version - are we getting this at all? Many people paid extra specifically for it. Also, how come non-backers get to try the E3 demo for free, five months in advance of the game's current release date, yet those of us who paid for the privilege and waited four years have received nothing? The description for the $100+ trial version is: "Be the first anywhere to play Shenmue 3."

Such an embarrassing situation

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue seems like an incredibly poorly run operation, regardless of EGS shenanigans. That post above...yeesh.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
so uh does ys net and yu suzuki also not understand kickstarter like they don't understand the epic games store? or is all of this also someone else's fault and they have little to no blame here since they've been working hard on shenmue 3 for the last four years?

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
so uh does ys net and yu suzuki also not understand kickstarter like they don't understand the epic games store? or is all of this also someone else's fault and they have little to no blame here since they've been working hard on shenmue 3 for the last four years?
They hired people to run the Kickstarter for them so these issues are probably due to a lack of understanding on their part. I think they've just been completely focused on the dev side and have left everything else to third parties.

I've also never been clear on Shibuya Productions role in all this, maybe they are the ones in charge of all the actual business decisions while Ys handles dev? Ultimately they chose their business partners so responsibility falls to them in the end regardless.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Obviously YsNet is partially to blame as they hired the terrible "Awesome Japan" company to run the Kickstarter, but they certainly had no idea just how terrible they were. They've been absolutely terrible at communicating clearly and timely throughout the whole campaign, which is why we were all thrilled that Fangamer would be handling the distribution of rewards when the time came.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone hiring Awesome Japan for a Kickstarter now would be committing suicide after the way they've handled the Shenmue 3 one.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone hiring Awesome Japan for a Kickstarter now would be committing suicide after the way they've handled the Shenmue 3 one.

Yeah, I would not be surprised to see them shut down after this. I never want to see a business fail/people lose their jobs (well, for the most part), but they have been truly incompetent throughout the entire campaign. They have no genuine clue as to how to message anything.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
How much time until they release a statement? Monday passed, you would think Deep Silver, Ys Net etc. already talked about this during E3 since the whole thing was much more relevant and discussed than the trailers they released, of course they are aware of the situation and it feels like every day passing without clear answers is going to make the whole situation worse and worse.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It depends on who "they" is. Is it YsNet, Deep Silver, Awesome Japan or Suzuki (doubtful). I actually reckon the they is more telling than the when.

I don't think we'll hear anything from Epic, not that they would say much.

We don't know Shibuya Productions involvement in this either (were all parties privy to this deal?) and where does this leave Fangamer, are they distributing for the Kickstarter or would it be Deep Silver/Epic?

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
vsXpJJx.png

giphy.gif

Words fail me!
Each day this idiot reminds me of the orange buffoon.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Tim Sweeney either needs to acknowledge that he's intentionally throwing more wood on the fire, or he needs to stop tweeting.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
We don't know Shibuya Productions involvement in this either (were all parties privy to this deal?) and where does this leave Fangamer, are they distributing for the Kickstarter or would it be Deep Silver/Epic?
It was Shibuya I was trying to think of as well, I knew there was another party who were working with YsNet but couldn't think of who it was exactly. From memory, they were kind of the medium between Ys and I guess Sony and putting the KS out etc?

Bob Ross' post on the Kickstarter page of Shenmue III lists some very valid concerns ( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/2536393 ):

Bob Ross
about 8 hours ago

That was put a lot more succinctly and politely than anything I could have imagined. Of course none of those questions will be answered (directly).

Also, given Awesome Japan's past failings, I'm inclined to put at least some of the weight on them too, although I doubt the decision to go EGS in the first place (which had the flow-on affect of the "physical copies") was solely on them.

Last edited:

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It was Shibuya I was trying to think of as well, I knew there was another party who were working with YsNet but couldn't think of who it was exactly. From memory, they were kind of the medium between Ys and I guess Sony and putting the KS out etc?

That was put a lot more succinctly and politely than anything I could have imagined. Of course none of those questions will be answered (directly).

Also, given Awesome Japan's past failings, I'm inclined to put at least some of the weight on them too, although I doubt the decision to go EGS in the first place (which had the flow-on affect of the "physical copies") was solely on them.

AFAIK Shibuya were the first group to finance/produce the game and are still involved in the production. People keep forgetting that Neilo are co-developing the game along with YsNet (another group of former SEGA devs).

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
AFAIK Shibuya were the first group to finance/produce the game and are still involved in the production. People keep forgetting that Neilo are co-developing the game along with YsNet (another group of former SEGA devs).
Literally the first time I've heard of Neilo!

But yeah, I can't help but think this is the result of people just wanting to make games, and the people facilitating that (such as publishers, negotiators, accountants etc.) have seriously dropped the fucking ball. If Yu Suzuki is to blame for anything, it's being too naive/trusting that things would go as smoothly as they would have if he were still with Sega.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
At this point, if we don't hear back I guess I will switch to PS4 versions, and sell both the physical and digital copies. This is pathetic and completely soured me on the series.

hesho89

Nov 13, 2017
i'm really curious...

do ppl seriously think anything will change? To me they just made that post to try and calm down the chatter so it can be forgotten and nothing will change.

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
i'm really curious...

do ppl seriously think anything will change? To me they just made that post to try and calm down the chatter so it can be forgotten and nothing will change.
I don't, really. I think the only thing the outrage may have accomplished is that we'll get Steam keys a year after launch.

I'm expecting nothing more from them and I'm still incredibly disappointed.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
There's no way they're giving back that big ol' pot of money that Epic handed over. I imagine they're looking for a way for backers to still get Steam keys keeping Epic sweet by letting all the other plebs come to them.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I think in order of least likely to most likely end scenarios, it goes:

Steam keys given to backers and/or refunds
Steam keys given to backers, no refunds
Refunds given to backers, no Steam keys
No refunds and no Steam keys

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
No but with loading times being what they are for me I would surmise today might be a bad time to learn how threadmarks work, wouldn't you agree? Anyway, this is none of your business but I'm out here alone with a gimped VPN dealing with a stolen phone and I have little to no patience for this magnitude of problem right now.

If you would like to walk me through the threadmark process, you can DM me; otherwise you and the several others who responded can either go take a shower and cool yourselves off, or just make the choice within yourselves not to pollute the thread with crappy energy whenever somebody makes an innocent faux pas.

I put down money for the Kickstarter on PC; I hope things work out but I'm not too worried yet.
Just saving this to remind myself that people who don't care, and admitting they don't care, sure do get hostile when they are confronted with facts!

VPN or whatever, you need to read the threadmarks!

And the thread is ALL ABOUT airing out frustrations, it lends itself to 'crappy energy'

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
So much time to decide, because obviously they know what is the right thing to do but they don't want to do it. This whole situation is disgusting...I wouldn't be so pissed if this wasn't a Kickstarter game Suzuki couldn't produce for 15 years. But as soon as users funded the project, publishers went on board to fuck everything possible.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
User Banned (3 days): trolling and ignoring the staff post
Just saving this to remind myself that people who don't care, and admitting they don't care, sure do get hostile when they are confronted with facts!

VPN or whatever, you need to read the threadmarks!

And the thread is ALL ABOUT airing out frustrations, it lends itself to 'crappy energy'
In the inbox or not at all sir, teach me threadmarks or acknowledge this is not a meaningful conversation for either of us

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I think I may have found a common denominator:

Shibuya Productions partners with DONTNOD and now their new game is an EGS exclusive for 12 months.
Yeah i just saw that myself. Its pretty clear Shibuya Productions are in bed with EGS too.

Bob Ross
about 8 hours ago

Great post. Sadly I have little hope they'll respond.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently they are indeed deleting comments on their kickstarter.
People have been commenting about that for the last few hours.
Can´t verify that, wouldn´t surprise me though, with how garbage the people involved are.

Status
Not open for further replies.