• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Marin-Lune

Oct 27, 2017
The issue isn't that they can't afford to it's that they choose to beg instead of financing the trip themselves.
Bingo.
And it's all for some sort of weird bragging rights fetish, "my way of traveling is better than yours", "i got to meet the real locals!", all that jazz. That they'll be proud to tell their friends & kids and laugh at how grand their adventure was.

Nov 3, 2017
The very notion that white privilege has nothing to do with this phenomenon makes me want to roll my eyes so hard.

My dudes, stop and actually listen to what we (the posters who live in countries rife with beg-packers) are trying to tell you.

If you can't do that, at least watch the video.

That'll involve having to listen to Asians. Era would sooner willingly set itself on fire

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, the term "white fragility" is pretty offensive if you ask me. Haven't heard of it before this thread to be honest.

Talking about proving the point.

giphy.gif

Jan 7, 2018
I completely understand her point and actually agree with her.
But god, was she annoying with the sass.

Last edited:

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
eeh big deal . If people dont give them money they go home. They can do it cause ppl support it etc.

moronica

Oct 28, 2017
It's not exactly like the authorities in those countries can do much about it either. It could easily turn into a diplomatic / international crisis, so they just turn a blind eye.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not mad, but I also don't think "worse things are happening" is a legitimate argument against me questioning the practice.
I've had some time to reflect, and I believe what bothers me is the exclusivity of the terms.
What I mean is:
Remember that one brit who said something like "A Brit is never a foreigner, wherever he goes"? This reminded me of it. These terms don't simply mean foreigner, they usually mean "foreigner.. to me", in a way. This way of phrasing things in English makes it so that its always a term for "others" (when used by a native speaker), never for yourself.
I'm not entirely sure why, but that rubs me wrong. And like I said, I see no purpose in using these terms in English besides "othering".

Sorry about the derail though, feel free to retort via PM if you want to argue semantics with me, I feel bad distracting from the discussion.
Locals (according to my wife) aren't using it in a derogatory way, but I sure as hell am. These fools (not just begpackers) are making me look bad. But thanks for your input - I'll mull it over and maybe rethink my position on using it. Maybe just refer to them as "mother fuckers" instead, from now on 😉
The "kids in cages" was a joke, btw - it's a non sequitur often used as a way to shut down any arguments here.
White people are the grand majority of beg-packers. Maybe in time the hippie phe on will grow but for now white people are monopolizing. You see them in Vancouver too. There was this French guy near Granville station the other night asking for money to go towards a room and return ticket. He's all in shorts, crocs, giant ass sweater, bushy beard, a weird hat, and one of those giant backpacks. My friend was talking to him and I started Googling the location and number of the French embassy. Gave him the address and number. Yeah, that dude did not want that answer. I should have just flagged down a cop and told him he had no money to go back to France.
Threw up in my mouth a bit while reading your description of him.
That's pretty baller honestly.
He must have huge balls, in addition to his huge leg

Oct 28, 2017
Are you dense or what?There is nothing for me to explain.I just find the way she talks and moves annoying.It's simple as that.Is it that really hard to understand?
I don't get it. You make it sound like it's a stupid question as if there is no further depth of explanation as to why you find the way she talks and moves annoying. You're making it sound like I'm asking you "Where did love come from" or something non-sensical like that.

YuYu

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
I don't get it. You make it sound like it's a stupid question as if there is no further depth of explanation as to why you find the way she talks and moves annoying. You're making it sound like I'm asking you "Where did love come from" or something non-sensical like that.
You are asking a dumb question over and over again.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i remember years and years ago a few seasons of The Amazing Race would force contestants to basically beg locals for money and it always made me cringe hard, like this is some seriously fucked up shit. I think they eventually stopped those kind of speed bumps and stuff, because its a really bad look. Sad to hear the practice was picked up by wanna be tourists.

YuYu

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
they're trying to trap you into sounding racist or something stupid like that
Dude needs to take his meds.He keeps asking the same question over and over again even though I gave him the answer.Seems like you can't criticize anything nowadays because someone will call you a racist/sexist etc.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Yeah, this whole thing is part of the "authenticity"/real boom. Things aren't good unless they are "real", like bumming across Europe on a shoestring or not eating authentic food that isn't authentic.

Edit I used to drink with someone that would tell a story about staying with some poor polish family when he was travelling across Europe. All I could think of is you took food off their table just so you had an "authentic" memory

Oct 28, 2017
Dude needs to take his meds.He keeps asking the same question over and over again even though I gave him the answer.Seems like you can't criticize anything nowadays because someone will call you a racist/sexist etc.
I literally only asked you what is annoying about it and that means I'm a crazy person off my meds fishing to call somebody racist. Okay....

Oct 25, 2017
All the "Why single out white people?" people need to watch the video. She literally addresses this. It's not poor Japanese people begging in Malaysia or Indians begging in Switzerland. It's a white culture thing.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
she's right about everything and these people can fuck off but goddamn was this an annoying video to watch.

Rudii

Nov 2, 2017
Australia
Sounds like These beg-packers need to step their game up. Become a travel vlogger and have views/subscribes/likes fund their carefree lifestyle.

I dislike both.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man some of you white folks really need to check your privileges as you're really missing the point with the the "dear White Begpacker."

But god, was she annoying with the sass.

With good reason, white folks are ignorant of their privileges plus there's the whole history of colonialism, slavery, genocide and creating a system where PoC are on the bottom.

Plus in her case, it's her home.

Her delivery is too exagerrated. I know it's YT, a performance medium, but sometimes it's not necessary and can be distracting.

It's part of her culture.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
It's not exactly like the authorities in those countries can do much about it either. It could easily turn into a diplomatic / international crisis, so they just turn a blind eye.
There is. I have to prove I have financial support to complete the trip and the financial ties to come back when I applied for Visa to US. There are discussion about it in mine and other countries. No more lax visitor Visa on arrival. Probably won't happen because tourist money still far outweigh Begpacker

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I honestly didn't know this was a thing and it seriously sounds like a horrible idea.

Who wants to spend their time on a vacation begging for money?

Jan 7, 2018
TBF, everyone I see doing this sort of stuff here in Brazil are Hispanics (i.e. mostly mestizos) rather than Europeans or Americans.
But this is irrelevant anyway, begpacking is a bad thing, i just wish she had made the video in a less "angry" and "snappy" way. I legit think most people who do it don't do it out of malice, and a more "nicer" video would make it easier for them to understand her point. People are more likely to hear you if you don't antagonize them, if they're doing something out of ignorance and naivety rather than malice.

Last edited:

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
"Sass", "angry", "snappy".

God, you folks couldn't be any more transparent. Take some time to learn about other people's culture before talking out of your ass.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why white people don't want to give these ones up. It's a lay up. You basically have some well fare babies who want to travel, but don't want to pay, so they beg in second to third world countries. Where the population makes 10 dollars a day, fraction of what they make back home. The only reason they aren't run out of town or kicked out is because they are white tourists. If they were African or Middle Eastern, hell even other SE Asian countries, they be treated a shit load different(Poorly), but get a pass since they are white. Many of these countries don't want bad publicity to reach the world, since they rely heavily on tourism from Western nations.

It's a quintessential case of white privilege from people who are parasites. They ain't worth defending and only give other white people a bad rap.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018
"Sass", "angry", "snappy".

God, you folks couldn't be any more transparent. Take some time to learn about other people's culture before talking out of your ass.
?
I'm legitimately willing to listen to what you mean and ready to apologize, but I didn't know it had anything to do with culture.
And I 100% agree with her point in case you didn't notice. Begpacking is disgusting.

Last edited:

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is. I have to prove I have financial support to complete the trip and the financial ties to come back when I applied for Visa to US. There are discussion about it in mine and other countries. No more lax visitor Visa on arrival. Probably won't happen because tourist money still far outweigh Begpacker
Yep, it's a huge double standard. I can just waltz into Thailand with no issues and no visa, they don't even ask about return flight. Only the airline seems to care. Wife can't even get a visa to visit the US for a week.
Then again, Singapore wouldn't let me in once (detained me and sent me back to Thailand) for not having a proper Thai visa. They don't play there.