• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
Crap. I've mostly been using it to watch AEW, but have on occasion flipped around to other stations when I'm in the mood to just have something play in the background. This deal just keeps getting worse all the time...

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
They're gonna force us all back to Sling or Hulu TV. YouTube TV was the best game in town. Of course they're ruining a good thing.

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
The family sharing lets me share the account with my parents and we can have 3 streams going at once, so I'll probably stick around a while longer. Still OK value for all of us. Hope they introduce tiers or something so I can make it a little cheaper.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
crap i only went with youtube tv to watch live sports.

not worth it at this price. what other alternatives do I have to watch NBA and NFL

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Hulu's DVR even after paying for the premium version isn't as good as YouTube TV's either. It's one of the reason I went with YouTube TV.

It's sad but every time I lay out my requirements, none of them check all the boxes. I wind up with Youtube TV as the closest but I'm still missing my NHL Network.

I will watch exactly zero Viacom channels but these increases were always going to happen. I have (smaller) cable TV customers literally ceasing their video products because they have contracts in place with content providers and they can't compete with the streaming services. But the long game was always to get that going and bring it up to pricing par.

I wouldn't mind TiVo + Cablecard but I'm spoiled by using any device at any time with Youtube TV, and TiVo is getting less consumer friendly every day.

NPVinny

Dec 13, 2017
the biggest gap here is that regional sports broadcasting is a fragmented minefield of who owns the right to broadcast what. it's more straightforward to bundle as much as you can together, but I would wager at least half of the cost in these cable packages (not only YTTV) is live sports. Not only that, but rights can change (an example is the back and forth NBC, Fox, and CBS do for the Super Bowl) that it's not so much straight forward as just picking channels.

Who gets to broadcast individual sports leagues are determined wholly by the individual sports league, and that changes from region to region and even nationally. It complicates online "TV" streaming because of the fragmentation of rights holders. If you just wanted local news and just the regular cable channels like MTV or USA, it'd probably be easier to do ala carte models because the ownership structure is more straightforward. But most people keep a cable package for the sports, otherwise they'd just rely on non broadcast digital platforms like Netflix. So you get pricey TV packages like YTTV because you're mostly paying for the sports

This is all true, but as you point out for the national stuff it's generally only changing hands between channels you're going to have either way, like TNT or ESPN. For regional stuff I'd argue it's not that much more complicated, at least not for the vast majority of the nation. My area, for example, really only has two regional sports channels: Fox Sports Sun and Fox Sports Florida. I get both of them, so with the $35/$45 tier I was set with pretty much every sport event I could possibly want. I guess my main complaint would be to just let me keep the channels I had for the price I had, instead of forcing me out completely by adding channels I'm never going to care about.

Corran Horn

Oct 25, 2017
I am sure you already know but you can always get OTA channels in Hi-def for free with an antenna.
Depending on your location. I can't get most of my locals at my place.

One cool thing about YTTV though was you could watch the local channels on any device, I tried the trial and I liked that I could watch the locals on my phone. I don't know what other services allow that, if any.
Amazon fire TV recast allows you to hookup an antenna to their box and you can then stream via app on phone (DVR functions too). It costs like $200 though. Might be some other people with similar functions.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
You could get Netflix, ad-free Hulu, HBO Max, Disney+... and probably another streaming service for less than that

Seems pretty stupid to attempt to stave off the death of cable TV by... bringing it to the internet without changing anything?
I know, I actually have an antenna connected to my Xbox, but one benefit I'll miss about YouTube TV is watching local channels on any device
I see now.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Does that put Sling $20 below them now? I pay $45 for their blue/orange package + 5 for DVR. Last month I was at $55 after all taxes. $65 is insane. It's incredible how OTT TV started out as a la carte and slowly morphed into cable thanks to network consolidation.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
oh nah, my limit is like $45 after that its a big no no

sad too cuz i really liked youtube tv when i had it :l

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Do people really need live TV that much? I don't get it. Just buy season passes to the handful of shows you watch. So much cheaper.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Wow I just went on my ISP's site to see what they were offering as far as pricing for cable, and they don't even offer cable anymore. Just links to YouTubeTV, Philo, Sling and Fubo lol.

I canceled when sports went away, will have to see where I land once things are eventually back.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
crap i only went with youtube tv to watch live sports.

not worth it at this price. what other alternatives do I have to watch NBA and NFL

NFL you can get the vast majority of games on local broadcast if you have a tv antenna.

NBA is harder due to local blackout restrictions.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I don't know if i believe this, maybe on circles like ERA but there's still a massive demand for live TV for people who enjoy sports, which is like most of America

This news does suck though I am lucky enough to be able to split it with a buddy so it's prob still less expensive

Bold move to do this when there are no sports on anyway. Though maybe that's the reasoning with the NBA coming back soon and NFL around the corner?

I don't think youtubetv has either the Lakers or Dodgers channels as options. In fact a lot of the bigger sports markets have teams with exclusive contracts with channels in market, so it's probably easier to watch a Laker game outside of the greater LA area than within it.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Do people really need live TV that much? I don't get it. Just buy season passes to the handful of shows you watch. So much cheaper.
Sports, my friend. No viable standalone streaming service exists for NBA, college basketball, college football. If you want to watch your local team, it's blacked out. Total bullshit.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
They really just need to start killing off excess cable channels, there are far too many. We don't need all these channels showing reruns of the same shows over and over, especially when entire shows are being added to streaming services. The days of watching Friends on like five different channels is over.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
Ugh this blows. Literally just bought a new car and have been looking to cut expenses. Thanks, Google. I watch like 3 channels anyway. Will be super tempted to cancel if sports get cancelled this year anyway.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Now that sports are dead I hope someone finally comes up with a bundle that removes them. It would most likely drop the price in half and be exactly what I want.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
One thing that gives me pause about actually cancelling is that Youtube TV has pretty much all my main local channels without an antenna. And it supports 6 accounts per sub.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
I am sure you already know but you can always get OTA channels in Hi-def for free with an antenna.
This is a bit loaded, to be fair. In some areas you might need a particularly good antenna or some way to mount it outside (or both!) to be able to receive broadcast channels. I can barely receive the ones from downtown because even though I'm within range, I cannot mount an antenna to my house for various reasons and I have a number of hills in the way reducing the signal reaching me.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I've just gone to Sling, Netflix, and an antenna for local channels. There is no way I'll ever go back to cable with the damned equipment fees, the bullshit ticky-tack add-on fees, two year contracts, and having to call someone and go through a ton of bullshit just to cancel the service.

If there's a TV show that we just have to watch that isn't on what we already have, we'll buy a season pass on iTunes or whatever.

Deleted member 19293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have any TV provider I use right now. Let's say I wanted an internet-based TV provider. Who would the least expensive option be in the US?

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
This is a bit loaded, to be fair. In some areas you might need a particularly good antenna or some way to mount it outside (or both!) to be able to receive broadcast channels. I can barely receive the ones from downtown because even though I'm within range, I cannot mount an antenna to my house for various reasons and I have a number of hills in the way reducing the signal reaching me.
my CW network needs something thats beyond the usual 50 mile antennas. but its hard to get it in HD even when you got something stronger.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I've just looked around at Sling, Hulu, etc, and nothing comes close to the amount of channels + local channels + being able to watch on any device and not have to pay to rent extra equipment. In the end, it's still cheaper for me to have YouTube TV than to move to a Comcast bundle after you figure in their taxes and equipment fees.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
You are correct, I forget some people live out further than me. I am a city dweller.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up switching to Philo after sling's price increase (and adding Fox News). For $20/month it has enough that I'm happy with it. Wife gets her food/hgtv/ID channels, kids get Nick/Nick Jr. I'm happy with the remaining channels. We let my mom use it for the Hallmark channels. I just don't care about local channels

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Hulu Live + Hulu with no commercials has gotten very expensive.. we'll probably all have to transition back to cable packages soon. There isn't really a savings at this point anyway sadly.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Might have to switch over to Hulu with live TV for $55. I heard someone mention there DVR isn't good, what's wrong with it?

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well shit. I got it cause I lost TCM on Comcast, but since the pandemic I've hardly used it all. Any cheap streaming services that carry TCM?

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
Is there a viable alternative that provides the same level of live sports coverage?

I basically need ESPN/2, fox sports southwest, and local channels (NFLN would be nice, don't get that on YTTV currently)

At $35 YTTV was an absolute steal. At $65 not so much, but even at $50 it seemed like the best solution for live sports

Oct 29, 2017
What's the cheapest way to get a package of news channels like CNN, MSNBC, etc. That's all I watch is news. I need my news. And now it will be $65/month for that luxury holy shit.

psyer

Oct 27, 2017
Might have to switch over to Hulu with live TV for $55. I heard someone mention there DVR isn't good, what's wrong with it?
It is limited to 30 hours for DVR.
Is there a viable alternative that provides the same level of live sports coverage?

I basically need ESPN/2, fox sports southwest, and local channels (NFLN would be nice, don't get that on YTTV currently)

At $35 YTTV was an absolute steal. At $65 not so much, but even at $50 it seemed like the best solution for live sports

FuboTV does have NFL Network and is supposedly getting ESPN/Disney networks this summer. No word whether there would be a price increase for that.