• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic Mania. Don't get me wrong, the game is beyond amazing and stands tall next to the best of Sonic like Sonic 2 and Sonic 3K. That said I hyped myself up in to a frenzy expecting the second coming of Jesus and was thus disappointed. Amazing game but I wanted more from it, if that makes sense. I was particularly disappointed with the number of original stages for example.

Guess with a bigger budget and more resources a potential Sonic Mania 2 could be even better, so I remain optimistic.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Sonic Mania. Don't get me wrong, the game is beyond amazing and stands tall next to the best of Sonic like Sonic 2 and Sonic 3K. That said I hyped myself up in to a frenzy expecting the second coming of Jesus and was thus disappointed. Amazing game but I wanted more from it, if that makes sense. I was particularly disappointed with the number of original stages for example.

Guess with a bigger budget and more resources a potential Sonic Mania 2 could be even better, so I remain optimistic.

I hate that you have to restart every stage from the beginning if you lose all lives, including the progress you did in bonus stages. Reached Flying Battery Zone and got stuck there. Second part is very difficult and one wrong step costs you a life. As with most fan-made games, this is for experienced players instead of casual players, even by skipping emeralds.

Freedom Planet is still a better game

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
I hate that you have to restart every stage from the beginning if you lose all lives, including the progress you did in bonus stages. Reached Flying Battery Zone and got stuck there. Second part is very difficult and one wrong step costs you a life. As with most fan-made games, this is for experienced players instead of casual players, even by skipping emeralds.

Freedom Planet is still a better game

Mostly in agreement with you. Some of those bosses were rock-hard and I have no idea who thought it was a good idea to force you to restart an entire zone once losing all lives. It made the game unnecessarily difficult. I admire the game a lot because it absolutely shoots for the stars and nearly gets there, but it needed more refinement. And Christ, more original stages.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm disappointed that two of the best singleplayer campaigns (with amazing stories and zero microtransactions) were commercial failures. I'm ofcourse referring to Wolfenstein and The Evil Within.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect Andromeda is probably the biggest one, though by release it wasn't a big surprise.

8 of my favorite franchises got new games in 2017, only 1 of them being disappointing isn't bad.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The one that comes immediately to mind is Breath of the Wild, and Prey didn't really click for me. I beat it and enjoyed it, it just didn't hit me in enough of the right places

Octavius

Oct 28, 2017
Shadow of War for me. I enjoyed it, but it could and should have been so much better. As a Tolkien fan, some of the storyline choices made me rage as well.

Robert

Nov 15, 2017
Alright... :(
- Halo Wars 2 launch on PC
- Deformers on PC
- PREY's ending (I adored the rest of the game)
- Wolfenstein II as a whole (I adore the Wolfenstein franchise but II... oof)

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Crash Bandicoot.

Was hyped! Played through the first game, traded it in at almost the same price I bought it.

Gameplay has not translated well at all, felt very dated. I kind of wish I hadnt touched it and let my memories from 20 years earlier stay glorious.

In my bottom 5 of beaten games so far this year. Together with NBA playgrounds, MUSCLE, Super Mario Run and NAM-1975

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'm disappointed that two of the best singleplayer campaigns (with amazing stories and zero microtransactions) were commercial failures. I'm ofcourse referring to Wolfenstein and The Evil Within.
Blame it on Bethesda releasing them in October. Granted I thought releasing TEW on a Friday the 13th in October was smart...

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Andromeda. It was almost as big of a disappointment as Brink and that's saying something.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Crash Bandicoot.

Was hyped! Played through the first game, traded it in at almost the same price I bought it.

Gameplay has not translated well at all, felt very dated. I kind of wish I hadnt touched it and let my memories from 20 years earlier stay glorious.

In my bottom 5 of beaten games so far this year. Together with NBA playgrounds, MUSCLE, Super Mario Run and NAM-1975
I heard they used the physics engine of 2 and 3 for 1 and it didn't really work... heard 2 and 3 were better because of that.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect: Andromeda - I tried to play and like the game but it just seems it's going to be a chore to get though and when I have games like The Witcher 3 that I have still not finished I feel I can't waste my time with something like this even though I loved the original 3 games.

Destiny 2 - played the hell out of it for a good 3/4 weeks after launch, but I've not touched it since and I really don't have the drive to go back to it. It's just a prettier and refined Destiny and for fans of the first game thats fine, but I don't think there was enough new content or ideas in there for myself.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'll have to go with Yookee-laylee.

I was so unbelievably excited for this game as Banjo is in my top 5 all time favourite games, and to read a new game was coming from the makers of that Banjo was Christmas come early.

It wasn't a bad game per day, I'd say I enjoyed must, but it nowhere lived up to the hype and excitement I built for myself. :(

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Blame it on Bethesda releasing them in October. Granted I thought releasing TEW on a Friday the 13th in October was smart...
It's kind of unfortunate that the best date for a horror game also happens to be neck deep in a bunch of other big blockbuster releases. That aren't even at least horror themed!

zephyrcian

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Expected a lot from the hype. Came out more disappointed than anything. Easily the most overrated game this year. Being a longtime Zelda fan it was shocking to me just how much I didn't "love" the game, just liked it. Just has too many shortcomings and issues holding it back. It takes two steps forward and two steps back. Some things work, some things don't. Overall, I found Mario to be the better game. Horizon came out of nowhere and surprised and I think it's the better game in every way. So it became my surprise GOTY where it would have usually been Zelda. Kudos, Guerilla.

Last edited:

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild also. I lasted about an hour before I didn't want to play anymore. Way way wayyyy too open ended for me.

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
Knack II.

Because, well... you know. It's Knack. Just the tought of SCEJ Studio wasting all that time and effort in polishing a turd makes me angry. A full Demon's Souls by them could had been done.

Deleted member 11522

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BOTW,after 80 hours it hit me like a brick in the face,by the numbers,check list open world like all the AAA games.Also some mind boggling design decision.After realizing that, i walked to the final boss fight and "finished" the game.Still salty to this day.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
I haven't played many games that were released this year, but I would have to say Zelda disappointed me the most. The combat was clunky, the divine beasts were boring and repetitive and what little voice acting there was was bad. I also couldn't stand the weapons breaking and the areas with elemental effects. It's still a good game, but it's nowhere near as good as classic Zelda games, and I'm a big fan of the series.

An older game that I played this year was gears of war 4, and I pretty much hated it. The story was quite poor, the new characters were bland, and most of the enemies were bullet sponges. The combat encounters were monotonous and there was very little to do other than shoot things. I remember the other gears games fondly, but maybe the formula is worn out.

Oct 27, 2017
While I liked Wolfenstein II, I thought The New Order had better game design, tone and story.

Mass Effect: Andromeda was a complete disaster that probably killed the franchise, but I wasn't exactly surprised.

everdom

Oct 29, 2017
I've instigated a no pre order policy this year, so my disappointments were more along the lines of games I was looking forward too but ended up avoiding due to horrible reviews or monetisation. Predominately Shadow of War, Battlefront 2 and Destiny 2. All three are seriously screwing up the actual game to lure people into a skinners box so they spend and spend and spend.

Luckily I think the shoe has finally dropped and regulation is over the horizon.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played many games that were released this year, but I would have to say Zelda disappointed me the most. The combat was clunky, the divine beasts were boring and repetitive and what little voice acting there was was bad. I also couldn't stand the weapons breaking and the areas with elemental effects. It's still a good game, but it's nowhere near as good as classic Zelda games, and I'm a big fan of the series.

I would not call my breath of the wild experience a disappointment but I have a similar opinion as you. The breaking weapons drove me nuts!

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Mass Effect: Andromeda - it's not a bad game. It was actually better than I thought it would be, based on the original reception. Nevertheless, it was a game that I would love to see in a completely different direction. I was hoping that Andromeda will give me a similiar feeling of entering a whole new universe, the way that Mass Effect did 10 years ago. You know, meeting dozens of original races, uncovering new civilisations, being thrown into galaxy politics, feeling of being someone new in a center of unknown rules, etc. It's interesting, a lot of the NPCs in MEA were constantly complaining that Andromeda is not what they expected. The same feeling haunted me through a whole game.

Torment: Tides of Numenera - Planescape: Torment is one of my favourite games of all time. I was very hyped when inXile announced their spiritual successor. They didn't delivered. Tides of Numenera ended for me as a game that was short, boring, unispired and overshadowed by a legend. Most of interesting story bits were actually told not in game but via flashbacks of different NPCs. Companions weren't that interesting, they didn't had any memorable backstories and story arcs (beside Rhin and Erritis). Ending was outright insulting - none of the choices ultimately mattered. The game had a lot of cut content and a lot of failed promises.

Star Wars: Battlefront II campaign - when EA announced singleplayer campaign for Battlefront II, I was genuinely interested. The new Star Wars game with the story integrated into a new canon and a dedicated studio taking the wheels? I was on board since day one... It was clearly not a campaign I was looking for. I remebered the marketing tidbits about a story of an imperial soldier trying to cope with a loss of the Empire and taking venegeance on the Rebels through multiple years. It was not a case. The story of Motive's Battlefront II was very predictable and boring, filled with meaningless fillers and uinteresting characters with very limited backstories and motivations. I also had a lot of issues with the pace and a mission design. The only reedeming factor of this campaign were starfighter missions and characters of Del Meeko and Shriv. The rest? Not so much.

Oct 27, 2017
The missions in Gravity Rush 2 are overall not very interesting but holy shit are the stealth missions bad. The game could've been so much better.

Oct 27, 2017
Andromeda for sure. I jumped into the ME Trilogy late when it came bundled to the PS3 and i really loved it and wanted to get in on the ground level when Andromeda came out and it just turned out to be crap. Even if you ignore the more egregious offenses like the animations, there's just things that suggest the end product was half assed. Like why move the entire series to a new galaxy and then only introduce 2 new alien races, both of which are bi-pedal?

Honorable mention would probably be Agents of Mayhem I didn't have particularly high expectations for it but i leaned into it harder than i otherwise would have simply because i was getting frustrated with all the "It's not saints row" noise. But putting that to the side, there's just not enough to keep the game interesting all the way through which is unfortunate because you can tell they put a lot of care into trying to make the game something you can play for a long time (i.e. all the different characters, the extensive difficulty sliders and the upgrades/mods that change your characters and gameplay)

Dernus

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny 2, stopped after a week when I realized I could only get upgrades from weekly stuff. Uninstalled and haven't thought about reinstalling.

KingLear

Oct 25, 2017
It's persona 5 for me. The game is such a slog that I'm having a really hard time at the last palace. New game plus sounds promising but I can't get excited for the carrot after so much stick.

Cranston

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Persona 5 - still a great game but too long and not on a handheld.
Horizon - beautiful but dull.
Wolfenstein 2 - legitimately a bad game. Hugely overrated.

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
BOTW. I still vividly remember the graphics shown in an earlier stage but it looked nothing like the final product.

Rhiwion

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Easily Persona 5. And this is weird to say because I still liked the game for the most part. Time is a big factor. The game 100% doesn't have anything going for it that justifies the 8 years people have been waiting for it. It's hard not to expect some revolutionary departure from the series when entire console generations have come and gone in the meantime, but alas it does the bare minimum to not feel like you're just replaying P3 or P4. It also feels like Atlus has learned nothing from P3/4 and its extended versions. No female protagonist, the schedule is way too tight to manage without a guide, SLs are gated behind extremely high stat requirements. SLs also still have 0 impact on the story and happen in their own secluded bubble that will never be brought up in the main story, also rendering any character development during their respective arcs entirely mute.

I just don't get how this game tries to convey some message of "being tied down by societal norms and wanting to break free from them" but does everything to reinforce tired and lazy stereotypes both in its characters and story. I see Ryuji and I'm immediately reminded how much he slots into the same role that Yusuke and Junpei fulfilled in their games. And the same goes for the rest of the cast.
Honestly believe that Hashino was a detriment for the series and I'm glad that he has passed the franchise over to younger folks, who maybe don't view women as some magical fairy tale being.

This comes from someone who's with the series for a long ass time, I absolutely understand how people who never played any other Persona or SMT game think it's the hottest shit around. And not because they don't know any better or sth like that. P5 isn't bad, it's just incredibly safe and unambitious which to me personally is kind of a big shame.

Hashino retire, bxtch

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
TLOZ: BOTW:

- Exploration doesn't give you anything as a player. The world is empty and it can be perfectly smaller.
- There's like 5 types of enemies.
- Every main quest is literally a copy paste. You always arrive and talk with the local chief/elder. Then there's a cinematic that connect you with the past champion. You meet the present chosen one. He helps you to fight the guardian on a "thrilling combat". You enter to the machine, solve the puzzles. You fight the 4 worst bosses on the entire saga.

This is your GOTY? Come on!

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice:

- A constant and repetitive corridor with nothing to offer but graphic power. As a game it is a waste and and doesn't contribute anything to the player. Just like Ryse and The Order 1886.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Not a game that came out this year but I played it this year.

Quantum break
A waste of time. Boring gameplay and the game runs poorly on xbox. The story is a convoluted mess about time traveling. Just not a good game and I only paid 15$ for it.

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
Need for speed payback

As NFS 2015 was/is my favorit game this gen payback felt like a big step back. All I needed was a 2015 with better cops and more cars

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon. Guess the immense hype left me expecting more. Didn't get into the story or mystery surrounding Aloy and Zero Dawn as much as the game dramatized it. The combat wore thin as I grew in power and needed to rely less on outthinking with trap variety, visually nice but inconsistent as well. Oh and fatigue for these open world checklist games hit me hard during this one.

Battlefront 2 and NFS. Coming out of E3, I nearly pre-ordered both. Glad I didn't.

Mario Odyssey. It's good, but 200 moons in and it's vying for the lower rung spot of the 3D Mario games is my ranking. Just not loving the worlds very much or the challenges. With hundreds of moons left it may change? I just feel a majority of the 200 collected so far have been middling.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
Wolfenstein II, after Wolf I's perfectly fine level design, relatively meaty length and generally cohesive objectives, the sequel suffers from a meandering narrative, tremendous repetition without appropriate reward and a smaller amount of content that is lower in quality and no new game + which lowers what little replay value is left. Damn shame from Machinegames, damn shame.

RabbidPeach

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
England
GT Sport for me.

I knew it was online focused. But wasn't expecting it to be an actual requirement for saving your single player progress.