• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
They're not doing this to make up for SFV's lackluster sales. This is about building an esports platform for future seasons and titles. This is NASCAR decals, NBA sideline banners, and Super Bowl spots. This is Capcom diversifying their bonds.
I was responding to the comment about SFV FM implementation and how things like costumes and characters arent given away for free. I know this is for their CPT event.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
There's something to be said for having a modicum of creative respect for your property. It's one thing to have special CPT ring and stadium-style stages with sponsor tickers or screens in the back to give the big event feeling. However, the ads all over the actual character costumes take it to a whole other level of creative bankruptcy, regardless of whether they can be turned off or not. They should not have gone there.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
Do the ads delay the match starting? Because from that video, it looked like the ad that shows up right before the stage appears is delaying the match.

If that is the case, I will be turning them off. (And fuck you Capcom, for disrespecting people's time.)

timestamped video:

https://youtu.be/zpv_zo2r2do?t=8

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
There's something to be said for having a modicum of creative respect for your property. It's one thing to have special CPT ring and stadium-style stages with sponsor tickers or screens in the back to give the big event feeling. However, the ads all over the actual character costumes take it to a whole other level of creative bankruptcy, regardless of whether they can be turned off or not. They should not have gone there.

Yep, I don't see how anyone who has any history with this series and characters can look at those ads and think this series deserves this. This is something I'd expect some bottom tier developer to do with some no-name characters. To have ads plastered on some of the most well known and longest running characters in gaming history is an insult, and shows a big lack of respect toward the property.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
tenor.gif

I honestly hope it's a practice that receives the backlash it needs and that future games do not use it.

The Orz

Dec 5, 2017
Hamfisted and poorly thought out, but it does open up a costume slot for mods so there's that.

This could have been done with some tact but it feels like such a rush job. The costumes are a mess and the rewards are negligible. At least we can opt out, though.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe I used to pay $80 per month to watch scheduled programs that were riddled with advertising.
Are we going backwards?

Wild Card

Oct 26, 2017
It's tacky, but since the only thing it's advertising is their own pro tour, I don't mind so much. If they start putting actual brands in I'll be pretty pissed off, the red bull costumes are already a step too far, don't put branded logos on characters. You have the entire rest of the game's UI for that, and stages.

Still looking forward to Capcom Cup though! Buff Karin, and a slew of other characters. Break cammy's legs.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I don't see how anyone who has any history with this series and characters can look at those ads and think this series deserves this. This is something I'd expect some bottom tier developer to do with some no-name characters. To have ads plastered on some of the most well known and longest running characters in gaming history is an insult, and shows a big lack of respect toward the property.
amen

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
It's tacky, but since the only thing it's advertising is their own pro tour, I don't mind so much. If they start putting actual brands in I'll be pretty pissed off, the red bull costumes are already a step too far, don't put branded logos on characters. You have the entire rest of the game's UI for that, and stages.

That's the whole point of them, to get companies to buy the ad space for the brands. The CPT logos are placeholders.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind this so much if it wasn't yet another example of the unrestrained greed Capcom has displayed for the entirety of Street Fighter V's career.

Every single fucking thing is tailored toward their goddamn FM implementation. Characters, stages, titles, challenges, events....virtually nothing is free in this game. You either have to pay up FM just to earn PART of a costume, or to earn an item to use in Survival mode, or spend FM just for the CHANCE to earn a legacy costume...

"But it's an alternative to just paying for DLC!" is what defenders will keep touting, while ignoring the many many many pieces of DLC that you can't even get with FM.

Meanwhile in Dragon Ball FighterZ I literally have too much Zeni to spend, since they give you an abundance for almost no effort. And even though you can't earn characters without buying them, they still host free events, add free stages, and other minimal-but-appreciated bonuses.

Smash Bros Ultimate would cost a thousand dollars if they nickel and dimed all their music, spirits, character colors, and everything else you can just earn by playing, and in no way does it ever feel like grinding.

And as an actual Capcom example, why does Monster Hunter World get to add new monsters, costumes, weapons and events 100% free? Why is it specifically just Street Fighter?

Capcom has fucking ruined their fighting games.

Yes, DBFZ give you a bunch of USELESS GARBAGE. Meanwhile in SFV you can get characters, what actually matters, without spending a dime. Literally the only fighter where this is possible.

You must also be really happy about the shower heads, rubber duckies and other assorted weird shit you can unlock in Tekken, while being just fine about how they charged $25 for a season pass that only had two characters. And apparently nobody cares that Shao Kahn is pre-order DLC in MKXI. I wonder what the reaction would be if Bison was pre-order DLC in SF6 lol.

This ad shit is horrendous, but I'm super fed up by people decrying the implementation of FM in SFV, who are frankly just not thinking straight (and probably don't even play the game). SFV is actually the only fighter on the market with a DLC system that is moderately consumer friendly. Thanks to people like you mindlessly moaning about this shit characters in SF6 are probably only going to be purchasable with real money like every other fighter. Thanks.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
If I didn't know any better I'd think someone was goofing with photoshop. Holy hell those look bad.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, DBFZ give you a bunch of USELESS GARBAGE. Meanwhile in SFV you can get characters, what actually matters, without spending a dime. Literally the only fighter where this is possible.

You must also be really happy about the shower heads, rubber duckies and other assorted weird shit you can unlock in Tekken, while being just fine about how they charged $25 for a season pass that only had two characters. And apparently nobody cares that Shao Kahn is pre-order DLC in MKXI. I wonder what the reaction would be if Bison was pre-order DLC in SF6 lol.

This ad shit is horrendous, but I'm super fed up by people decrying the implementation of FM in SFV, who are frankly just not thinking straight (and probably don't even play the game). SFV is actually the only fighter on the market with a DLC system that is moderately consumer friendly. Thanks to people like you mindlessly moaning about this shit characters in SF6 are probably only going to be purchasable with real money like every other fighter. Thanks.

If the characters were literally the only thing that cost Fight Money, there wouldn't nearly be this much bellyaching.

It may be what actually matters, but when they decide to apply the same FM requirement to costumes, stages, titles, modes, seasonal events...that may all be USELESS GARBAGE to you, which fair enough. But considering it's literally all of the content in the game, whereas every other fighting game offers the USELESS GARBAGE at no extra cost, then SFV is clearly a greedy gollum by comparison.

And don't kid yourself: if they added accessories to the characters like Tekken and Soul Calibur does, you can bet that would all be behind a FM paywall as well.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what!? You got a source for that?

Source: Getting other companies to give you money to show their logos is how ads work. Of course it's not for Capcom only advertising, Capcom isn't that stupid that they don't understand how ads work. The CPT logos is pretty much "Your ad here" advertisements to other companies.

Oct 31, 2017
Seeing those logos on Bison or Dhalsim is a sad state of affairs.

Darkest Timeline in SF for sure.

Yes you can turn them off, Does not change the fact that it is hideous.

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
Source: Getting other companies to give you money to show their logos is how ads work. Of course it's not only for Capcom only advertising, Capcom isn't that stupid that they don't understand how ads work.
I guess we will have to wait and see. I thought he meant that the ads only being place holders was something stated in a interview. Depending on how much backlash they get for this, that might not happen.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

the bias is ridiculously blatant.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Source: Getting other companies to give you money to show their logos is how ads work. Of course it's not for Capcom only advertising, Capcom isn't that stupid that they don't understand how ads work. The CPT logos is pretty much "Your ad here" advertisements to other companies.

Yup. We did this for 1vs100. We knew we had to have ads so instead wanted to make it part of the experience which worked well for a gameshow. We had to stub in things to pitch various brands so they could understand what they were paying for as it was not traditional ad space.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

And people are still going to bitch about it. Probably a lot of the same faces, too.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If the characters were literally the only thing that cost Fight Money, there wouldn't nearly be this much bellyaching.

It may be what actually matters, but when they decide to apply the same FM requirement to costumes, stages, titles, modes, seasonal events...that may all be USELESS GARBAGE to you, which fair enough. But considering it's literally all of the content in the game, whereas every other fighting game offers the USELESS GARBAGE at no extra cost, then SFV is clearly a greedy gollum by comparison.

And don't kid yourself: if they added accessories to the characters like Tekken and Soul Calibur does, you can bet that would all be behind a FM paywall as well.

I don't know what kind of fighting game player are you, but characters are immensely more important than everything you mentioned. I'll take having to "spend" a miniscule amount of FM to get a a couple of titles I like if that got me to play the first two seasons of SFV without spending any actual money. The reason Capcom nickel and dimes you for other stuff like costumes is fairly simple: to make up for the fact that the bulk of their season passes can be unlocked for free. That's a trade I'll take any day. And thankfully I don't suffer from some life-crippling form of OCD that forces me to get every single thing that's in the game.

In any case SFV has been continually been updated with new and improved modes over the last three years, at no extra charge. Arcade Edition was a free update for everyone. This year a large assortment of new premium costumes were made (easily) unlockable (yes, you have to use up five minutes -oh the humanity- of your precious time four times a month to get them). You should count yourself lucky ArcSys isn't charging a fee for a yearly balance patch with DBFZ as they usually do. Or maybe they will next year, who knows!

And speaking of "events", the Capcom ProTour is well supported and a big success. Meanwhile on the Tekken side the winner of the World Tour Finals went home with $10K I think, was it? This weekend the winner of the Capcom Cup will be getting $250K. Maybe Namco should consider giving a shit about its community. Not even gonna mention how NRS fighters evaporate after a year of existence.

the bias is ridiculously blatant.
I definitely agree. :smug

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
As Capcom pursues the esports realm then ads during gameplay is part of that. To grow their brand as an esports thing they will have to be able to implement ads on a near constant basis and the ugly ass bandaid ads are a quick way to do that. At best SF6, or late SFV, will have better placement or entire alts like the Red Bull ones earlier this year or something akin to Soccer/football jerseys and in-stadium ads.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
And yet you'll defend Shao Khan preorder DLC.
The rootkit thing is miles more embarrassing, and anti-consumer than any DLC. Which, btw, I'm not going to defend, but Shao Kahn may had been developed with DLC budget, you know, the excuse SF fans love to use to defend a dozen of characters being locked out of SFxT?

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The rootkit thing is miles more embarrassing, and anti-consumer than any DLC. Which, btw, I'm not going to defend, but Shao Kahn may had been developed with DLC budget, you know, the excuse SF fans love to use to defend a dozen of characters being locked out of SFxT?

Man, ya'll got long memories for Capcom when NRS doing scummy shit today.

So why I still got to buy Darkseid separately from the ultimate edition of IJ2?

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
It makes loading into training mode take significantly longer for me. I haven't tested other scenarios yet.

I'm on PC with an SSD and maybe it's not an issue on PS4 which already has plenty of time to show an ad. Somebody needs to do formal tests.

That makes sense. On PC load times are super quick but am guessing the Ad is set to display for the same set time on PS4 and PC.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know what kind of fighting game player are you, but characters are immensely more important than everything you mentioned. I'll take having to "spend" a miniscule amount of FM to get a a couple of titles I like if that got me to play the first two seasons of SFV without spending any actual money. The reason Capcom nickel and dimes you for other stuff like costumes is fairly simple: to make up for the fact that the bulk of their season passes can be unlocked for free. That's a trade I'll take any day. And thankfully I don't suffer from some life-crippling form of OCD that forces me to get every single thing that's in the game.

In any case SFV has been continually been updated with new and improved modes over the last three years, at no extra charge. Arcade Edition was a free update for everyone. This year a large assortment of new premium costumes were made (easily) unlockable (yes, you have to use up five minutes -oh the humanity- of your precious time four times a month to get them). You should count yourself lucky ArcSys isn't charging a fee for a yearly balance patch with DBFZ as they usually do. Or maybe they will next year, who knows!

And speaking of "events", the Capcom ProTour is well supported and a big success. Meanwhile on the Tekken side the winner of the World Tour Finals went home with $10K I think, was it? This weekend the winner of the Capcom Cup will be getting $250K. Maybe Namco should consider giving a shit about its community. Not even gonna mention how NRS fighters evaporate after a year of existence.

I definitely agree. :smug

Stages
  • New Stage = 70k FM (7 total = 490k FM)
  • Alternative Stage = 40k FM (3 total = 120k FM)
Colors
  • Color 11 = 10k FM (25 total = 250k FM x 2 (Default + Story) = 500k FM)
  • Color 12 = 2k FM (25 total = 50k FM x 2 = 100k FM)
  • Color 13 = 5k FM (25 total = 125k FM x 2 = 250k FM)
  • Color 14 = 10k FM (25 total = 250k FM x 2 = 500k FM)
  • Color 15 = 20k FM (25 total = 500k FM x 2 = 1mil FM)
  • Default Color Pack = 85k FM
  • Story Color Pack = 85k FM
  • Season 1 Defaut Color Pack = 40k FM
  • Season 1 Story Color Pack = 40k FM
  • Season 2 Default Color Pack = 40k FM
  • Season 2 Story Color Pack = 40k FM
Other Content
  • Profile Title = 5k FM (150 total = 750k FM)
  • Profile Design = 5k FM (31 total = 155k FM)
Minuscule amount, huh.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Stages
  • New Stage = 70k FM (7 total = 490k FM)
  • Alternative Stage = 40k FM (3 total = 120k FM)
Colors
  • Color 11 = 10k FM (25 total = 250k FM x 2 (Default + Story) = 500k FM)
  • Color 12 = 2k FM (25 total = 50k FM x 2 = 100k FM)
  • Color 13 = 5k FM (25 total = 125k FM x 2 = 250k FM)
  • Color 14 = 10k FM (25 total = 250k FM x 2 = 500k FM)
  • Color 15 = 20k FM (25 total = 500k FM x 2 = 1mil FM)
  • Default Color Pack = 85k FM
  • Story Color Pack = 85k FM
  • Season 1 Defaut Color Pack = 40k FM
  • Season 1 Story Color Pack = 40k FM
  • Season 2 Default Color Pack = 40k FM
  • Season 2 Story Color Pack = 40k FM
Other Content
  • Profile Title = 5k FM (150 total = 750k FM)
  • Profile Design = 5k FM (31 total = 155k FM)
Minuscule amount, huh.
For a couple of titles I like.

And like I said, I'm personally not some madman that needs to get everything, especially for characters I don't even use. You do you though. Rev up those outrage motors.

The utter ridiculously of making it seem like you just have to get every single title in the game. I can't even.