• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Spec Ops: The Line doesn't have a great story or message and no amount of video essays about the game's story and its themes will convince me otherwise

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
1) Final Fantasy 7 Remake is overpraised due to nostalgia (and gamers in general thrive off nostalgia trips). It's full of so much bs fluff.

2) The DualSense has all this hype but it's gonna be the same as the DS4; it's got these cool new bits of tech that will forever be underutilized.

Vert1

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Buck Bumble [N64] is still the best game Ubisoft's ever published.

Last edited:

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
As I said about FFVII:R, and as I've said about TLOU1, The Last Of Us Part II is overrated, possibly even more so than the first game.

syth

Oct 25, 2017
I cant stand "Modern AAA" games, and the main reason i've finally worked out. Its the controls.

Ive tried really hard to like the witcher 3, and gta 5. Both of them, i enjoy the world, i enjoy the story, but the major turn off on both is the "realistic" controls.

If i turn left on my joystick I want my character to turn left. But they dont. They half circle left, like a realistic person. I press left in a platformer or mario or zelda and bam, they go left.

If i could change the witcher to have snappy controls id be all about it. But alas, realistic turning circles on a videogame character are shit.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so tired of the million next gen threads. How many Lockhart threads and "Developers love the PS5" threads do we need?

Jorgie

Mar 28, 2018
Philadelphia
Breath of the Wild is one of the most overrated games I've seen and is by far one of the worse games I've ever played. Take Zelda back to the way it was PLEASE.

Jan 10, 2018
Breath of the Wild has some really poor graphics overall. The poor draw distance, blurry textures and low-poly landscapes hurts the exploration and immersion.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like CDPR's crunch will never be viewed under the same magnifying glass that ND's was.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch is one of the worst Nintendo consoles. It's got terrible build quality (I can't believe they're selling Switch Lites with the same faulty analog sticks in the joycons) and with the exception of Three Houses and Luigi's Mansion 3 all the best first party games on it are available on Wii U and/or 3DS. I;d rather play my Wii U.

Ser_Kafka

Mar 23, 2020
Breath of the Wild is one of the most overrated games I've seen and is by far one of the worse games I've ever played. Take Zelda back to the way it was PLEASE.

I don't mind Zelda games changing to a more open world setting. One of my biggest problems with BotW was the death of stuff to do in such a massive open world. I mean, it was basically a climbing simulator.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Mario & Luigi was always middling at best. Good but not great. SMRPG and the first two Paper Marios are vastly superior.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
- Dragon Age: Origins is the worst game in the series.

- Maybe because everyone shits all over it and I had low expectations going in (and high for Origins), but I think Dragon Age 2 is pretty fun and honestly I can't decide whether I preferred it or Inquisition as the better game overall (imo they are different enough that i find it hard to compare). It was helped by the fact that I found Solas, Varric, and Cassandra were the best companions.

- NWN campaign is fine and I enjoy playing it.

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020
- devil may cry is the worst series ever made
- elder scrolls also sucks hard ass
- isometric perspective is the best way to immerse in a game

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
I feel like CDPR's crunch will never be viewed under the same magnifying glass that ND's was.
It will be when CDPR puts LGBT characters in their games - and then gamers are going to complain as a veiled attempt to whine about their games having a protagonist that isn't a straight white male.

I can guarantee that if TLOU Part 2 had Joel as the main protagonist, gamers would not be criticising Naughty Dog for their crunch like they are now.

ZoomyRamen

May 15, 2020
I think current linear rockstar is significantly better than current open world rockstar.

Having just got done with the prologue of RDR2, which is great, I think R* are so much better when they gave much more control over tone, pacing and atmosphere. This fall's apart when applied to an open world.

Also, Max Payne 3 was the last straight up banger they made.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Abby
is awesome.
Seconding this one! I really think that this character is awesome and playing thru their stuff was better than the first half.

Mario & Luigi was always middling at best. Good but not great. SMRPG and the first two Paper Marios are vastly superior.
Agreed with you right there. I always liked SMRPG and the first two PM games better.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
Motion controls have always been bad
Have you played proper VR? Preferably some PCVR solution or Oculus Quest? I agree that motion controls in the sense of Wii is pretty stupid in most cases. It's just not fun using the Wii Motes to control something you see on a flat TV for me. There are exceptions, for example I like that you can use the PS Move Controllers for sculpting in Dreams.

But motion controls in VR is an entirely different thing. It feels so natural and is IMO 100% the best way to play shooters. And it will only get better with higher res headsets so that aiming becomes easier. Also it just enables you to interact with the game on a completely new level, Half Life Alyx is a great example for that. It really wouldn't feel remotely the same on a flat screen without the interactive controls.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Devil May Cry V is REALLY overrated. It's void of pretty much anything level design of merit, and the V segments made me drop the game many times. DmC Definitive Edition was a much better game, even OG was more enjoyable to play.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I WANT MORE 3D METROIDVANIAS

Why does it feel like the Prime series is the only one?? Unless I've been blind these past years?

The closest thing I could think of is Dark Souls 1 kind of....
Supraland is a good 3D Metroidvania. I'm fairly sure there's another recent indie that has that kind of structure too but it's name escapes me.

We could stand to have a lot more though, it's a pretty untapped genre as I don't think Dark Souls really counts. First thing I always think of when this comes up is Exhumed/Powerslave but that predates even Prime.

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Spiderman PS4 didn't impress me much.
Played about 6-8 hours and found the mission design pretty generic and not super engaging.
It looks good tho and the combat was better than I expected but the game is lacking something IMHO.
Hoping for a richer experience for the next installments.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
The Switch is one of the worst Nintendo consoles. It's got terrible build quality (I can't believe they're selling Switch Lites with the same faulty analog sticks in the joycons) and with the exception of Three Houses and Luigi's Mansion 3 all the best first party games on it are available on Wii U and/or 3DS. I;d rather play my Wii U.

That's a great summary of why it's one of my favorite console. Like most people, I skipped the Wii U. And because of that, it's like I'm getting twice as many Nintendo first party games as usual! It's great!

Plus, I play a lot of indies, and the Switch is great for that.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only reason i can think of that nintendo havent announced their fall line up yet is because they don't quite know what it is themselves yet.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Have you played proper VR? Preferably some PCVR solution or Oculus Quest? I agree that motion controls in the sense of Wii is pretty stupid in most cases. It's just not fun using the Wii Motes to control something you see on a flat TV for me. There are exceptions, for example I like that you can use the PS Move Controllers for sculpting in Dreams.

But motion controls in VR is an entirely different thing. It feels so natural and is IMO 100% the best way to play shooters. And it will only get better with higher res headsets so that aiming becomes easier. Also it just enables you to interact with the game on a completely new level, Half Life Alyx is a great example for that. It really wouldn't feel remotely the same on a flat screen without the interactive controls.
Man, I really wish I could stomach VR because that's the only case where I think it's awesome. Especially all the stuff I've seen with Alyx.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
As I said about FFVII:R, and as I've said about TLOU1, The Last Of Us Part II is overrated, possibly even more so than the first game.
+1
Can't say anything about TLoU 2 as I haven't played it, but tbh I think the first one was a bad and insanely overrated game.
+1

I unfortunately do not have anything really positive to say about both TLOU and its sequel; I don't like them. Read The Road instead.

FRVIIR was good until I found I was the bad guy.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
Man, I really wish I could stomach VR because that's the only case where I think it's awesome. Especially all the stuff I've seen with Alyx.
Yeah it really feels natural, it's really no comparison to the Wii gimmick for example. Hopefully one day you'll be able to stomach playing also when it's cheap enough etc.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hardly controversial. Halo 3 was always immensly popular.

At the time.

I don't know if you're familiar with the MCC but so many people have the opinion now that H3 MP aged poorly. The BR isn't hit scan, weapons sound weak, tight FOV. But I still think its the best MP in the collection right now. As in in 2020 H3 is the best Halo game on MCC.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Sony shouldn't offer an all digital Ps5 and the disc version should be $400

Buzzkiller_20

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Conkers Bad Fur Day, Sly Cooper 2, and all 2d Mario games suck.

Aside from Vivi, FFIX has the worst group of characters in any Final Fantasy game.

Kingdom Hearts is the best RPG ever made.

God of War 2018 is the best game ever made.

Any "Fighting games" that have ring outs as there main way to win aren't real fighting games.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
At the time.

I don't know if you're familiar with the MCC but so many people have the opinion now that H3 MP aged poorly. The BR isn't hit scan, weapons sound weak, tight FOV. But I still think its the best MP in the collection right now. As in in 2020 H3 is the best Halo game on MCC.

I never realized H3's BR wasn't hit scan. Coming from a couple of dozen hours of Halo Reach and 2A on PC now, that's honestly great news lol. BTB is like a frigging laser beam fight with those hit scan weapons.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never realized H3's BR wasn't hit scan. Coming from a couple of dozen hours of Halo Reach and 2A on PC now, that's honestly great news lol. BTB is like a frigging laser beam fight with those hit scan weapons.
Yep.

People rightfully ragged on the H3 BR (at the time) because with 2007 netcode a hitscan BR was not exactly the most consistent thing. But at 60 FPS (more on PC) and modern networking it feels nice and feels like theres more skill to it. Any idiot can land shots with the Halo 2 or 2A or 4 BR. It's harder in H3 since you have to slightly lead.

However the projectile bullets + slight spread on it make Halo 3 BTB probably the best in the series because you can actually move around the map and the BR does the right damage to vehicles. In Reach you can just DMR any vehicle to death. Harder to do in H3.

Unfortunately people still hate the H3 BR. I just hope with a new engine, modern networking, 343 explores projectile weapons in Infinite. I haven't had fun in BTB in a Halo game since 3

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yep.

People rightfully ragged on the H3 BR (at the time) because with 2007 netcode a hitscan BR was not exactly the most consistent thing. But at 60 FPS (more on PC) and modern networking it feels nice and feels like theres more skill to it. Any idiot can land shots with the Halo 2 or 2A or 4 BR. It's harder in H3 since you have to slightly lead.

However the projectile bullets + slight spread on it make Halo 3 BTB probably the best in the series because you can actually move around the map and the BR does the right damage to vehicles. In Reach you can just DMR any vehicle to death. Harder to do in H3.

Unfortunately people still hate the H3 BR. I just hope with a new engine, modern networking, 343 explores projectile weapons in Infinite. I haven't had fun in BTB in a Halo game since 3
I think with Infinite coming to PC day 1 they really should be projectile bullets

Because hitscan on a mouse is way too easy.