• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Gears 1-3 are great. The gameplay loop is satisfying. The gritty soldier douchebro aesthetic was a bit too much, but endearing in a way, especially since there are not many games in this style anymore.

NesFe00

Oct 28, 2017
I loved the initial gears trilogy ! My friend used to bring his Xbox 360 and hook it up to my 2nd Tv (an old 32 inch fat tv) and we'd play 4 player horde mode locally for hours with some local 2 v 2 in between. Then, my parents bought a new HD Tv for the bedroom so we go in there take it and put it in the living room so we'd have 2 HD tvs lol.

Damn, I miss local multiplayer (Halo, Gears, Army of Two, Kane and Lynch etc...).

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
yup.

The series lost its allure and identity after 3...infact it shares similarities to God of War with the Ascension stuple...but God of war had a triumphant combat, and gears is still a series i am not interested in playing after judgement

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Gears is still the best 3rd person shooter. Nothing plays as well.

It's also worth noting how fun the campaigns are because of the time Epic and The Coalition put into good, varied enemy designs.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Gears 1 was my fucking crack.
I was hooked in an obsessed unhealthy way for years and to this day 13 years later the series is still my fave shooter only matched by siege.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
I loved the first one, it definitely felt new and fresh at the time. Unfortunately after that I quickly grew bored with the franchise.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Gears 1 blew my mind when it came out, could not believe what I was seeing. Wasn't a fan of the overly-gritty colour pallets, but the details, models and levels looked amazing. Good thing it was wrapped up in a fun game.

Everything thing else is luke-warm.I don't know why, but 2 did not grab me as much, 3 was trying a bit too hard and thematically all over the place. Don't get me wrong, they were fun I just did not care about anything outside of the encounters. 4 I have yet to play, but I plan on it, keep seeing it super cheap so I will bite eventually.

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The original trilogy has everything I like in a game:

Variety in level design, enemy variety, and variety in weapons.

gears-of-war-wallpaper-3.jpg

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I never liked it much due to the machismo stylings but the first was definitely the best of the series imo. It incorporated a bit more horror and a little less dumb. But I quickly grew tired of its gameplay by the third. It was needlessly restricted in its movement and it's snap-to cover system was a frustration I could have done without.

it's camera is honestly the one thing I hope they have changed in the new game. Fixed over the shoulder cameras just feel so dated these days.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Why they did not protect their heads? Like, everyone has heavy armor but nobody uses a helmet..... ? (By the way I never played the series. Already tried Gears 4 (through gamepass) but got bored because of the robot enemies. Now, another cheap gamepass sub, and I am downloading 133 GB to try to finish the game this time and be ready for Gears 5).

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
Why they did not protect their heads? Like, everyone has heavy armor but nobody uses a helmet..... ? (By the way I never played the series. Already tried Gears 4 (through gamepass) but got bored because of the robot enemies. Now, another cheap gamepass sub, and I am downloading 133 GB to try to finish the game this time and be ready for Gears 5).
the Carmine's did and look where it got them

Loved the gears games still need to finish gears 4

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
Gears of War is great. Gears 1-3 are instant classics for so many reasons.

Gears 4 is a shit show. If only the Coalition wasnt absolute trash and could fix the bullshit in multiplayer.
My xbox is essentially a Gears 4 machine and if they dont fix half the shit in Gears of War 5 (Im not calling it Gears 5) I'm just not going to commit like I always do. I have no faith in the single player campaign because we see how astonishing bland and uninspiring the Coalition can be but the multilpayer should be their main focus... I hope.

Feb 10, 2018
Gears of War is great. Gears 1-3 are instant classics for so many reasons.

Gears 4 is a shit show. If only the Coalition wasnt absolute trash and could fix the bullshit in multiplayer.
My xbox is essentially a Gears 4 machine and if they dont fix half the shit in Gears of War 5 (Im not calling it Gears 5) I'm just not going to commit like I always do. I have no faith in the single player campaign because we see how astonishing bland and uninspiring the Coalition can be but the multilpayer should be their main focus... I hope.

Nothing wrong not liking a game, but giving baseless statements like this

"I have no faith in the single player campaign because we see how astonishing bland and uninspiring the Coalition can be"

Just seems like trolling.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was one of the best games of last generation all time.
And it was the first game that I tested on my first HDTV.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I've said this before but playing gears for the first time felt similar to playing RE4 for the first time for me. The game just oozed atmosphere and everything about the controls and gameplay just felt right. It also was a bit like halo for me in that I just enjoyed fighting the AI and even though every encounter was similar it was still a blast. I don't think a game has ever been quite as satisfying when killing an enemy.

The reload thing was a stroke of genius IMO and again was addictive and oh so satisfying. I don't agree with the detractors about the graphics either. Gears was probably the first game since the 64 that truly 'wowed' me and made me feel like this was next gen. Especially that rain level, so awesome.

Loved the co-op. Loved the multi. Just a fantastic all around game. 2 and 3 were ok and I hadn't enjoyed it since but gears 1 was phenomenal.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
First Gears of War is still the only shooter I have had legitimately FUN playing through and through.

Only Splatoon can match it somehow :D

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Great 4 games IMO, even if 4 is not as inspired as the masterful original trilogy, the more colorful aesthetic, new enemies and the environmental hazards are what the saga needed to deliver something fresh (even if it plays almost exactly like the older games) and I think that the game looks and plays really good.

Gears 5 has the big responsability of being something else, re-introduce again the epic tone and evolve the boring (compared to the original 4) characters from 4, but I can't see the game delivering what I expect from the 2nd chapter of the new trilogy.

Electricb7

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing wrong not liking a game, but giving baseless statements like this

"I have no faith in the single player campaign because we see how astonishing bland and uninspiring the Coalition can be"

Just seems like trolling.
What I'm saying is the entire single player campaign is as joke from a storytelling, world building, and narrative standpoint. The characters are poorly writtin and have no chemistry.
The only party of the campaign that was impressive was the very
beginning during the playable flashbacks to before and during the Locust war.
Everything afterwards is a shitshow.

Feb 10, 2018
What I'm saying is the entire single player campaign is as joke from a storytelling, world building, and narrative standpoint. The characters are poorly writtin and have no chemistry.
The only party of the campaign that was impressive was the very
beginning during the playable flashbacks to before and during the Locust war.
Everything afterwards is a shitshow.

The locations were beautiful and detailed, the best looking and nicest colour pallet in the series, I liked the banter between the characters, it was not so "dudebro" felt more like Uncharted character banter.
But each to there own I guess.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Judgment had the best campaign. Declassified missions, well designed combat arenas, no stupid vehicle sections and only one boss fight. Perfection.

There are dozens of us! Dozens!

Judgment is the most replayable of the Gears campaigns. Procedurally generated enemy spawns keep it fresh. I'd personally put it on par with Gears 3, but only because Gears 3 has better enemy variety.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Gears of Wars is fucking fantastic. I played them all on release and I also played them all in a row in the Xbox One X (after receiving the 4K patches).

I even beat the original THEN the Remaster 2 times each last year, before going to 2-3-Judgment-4

The gameplay and action loop is fantastic. I even liked 4 and J.D. a lot.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

COG helmets don't seem to protect against sniper rounds, and they impair vision and hearing. This is discussed in Gears 2, as you see it happening in Gears 1.

(Believe it or not, the Gears games have very good storytelling in their dialogue and stages, and they respect their previous games rules and events. Its great to play them in a row and see all the details and throwbacks.)

Helmets do seem to help with dust, chemicals and other breathing scenarios, but the heroes don't mind.

Gears 4 is great. Just get past the robot enemies.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
For all the bitching about the DeeBees in 4, I like those chapters because they drop great weapons. That and the comedy as Marcus' mansion is destroyed by Jinn and the weather.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
They will, but they'll be corrupted by the Swarm.
Ohh yeah, I even saw them in the reveal trailer.
Still def look better to shoot at than the damn DBs.....I wonder if they are gonna make the organic parts the Swarm-DBs weak spots?
E3 cant come quickly enough
why is their skin grey?
It was a dark time when that game came out.
Looking back at the grey/brown era of gaming and alot of games just look weird by todays standards.

In a few years when Skin shaders take the next jump we will be looking at all the SSS on faces and thinking "why does skin look so see through?"
I love SSS I think its an amazing technique, but some games make things go beyond what skin actually does when light hits it. I dont think shaders in Game Engines are quite yet there with capturing SSS on skin.

Apr 23, 2018
The Gears Franchise is one of my all time favorite. One thing I loved were the trailers for them. Gears 1 with Marcus mowing down locust while corned. And 3 with the "ashes to ashes" trailer that ends with the "Brothers to the end" tag line.