• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one?

• SM RPG 2

Votes: 356 47.5%
  • A true Paper Mario 3

Votes: 393 52.5%

• Total voters

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
You get it guranteed to come out, but the other one never can ever. A direct sequel to sm rpg 2, collabed with SE. Or the real paper mario 3 that is even better than 64 and ttyd, new partners, enemies, etc.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
A true Super Mario RPG 2 would have to involve modern Square, and we should not want them to be anything but far the fuck away from Mario.

Thousand Year Door followup by default.

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
As great as a super Mario rpg sequel sounds squareenix just isn't what it used to be so this one is easy and I'll take paper Mario 3

Nov 2, 2017
Legitimately I don't understand the love for Super Mario RPG. After hearing the hype for so long, I finally played it and was completely underwhelmed.

None of its writing, world building, or partners was better than TTYD.

So PM/TTYD easy

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
im out, true Paper Mario 3
A true Super Mario RPG 2 would have to involve modern Square, and we should not want them to be anything but far the fuck away from Mario.

As great as a super Mario rpg sequel sounds squareenix just isn't what it used to be so this one is easy and I'll take paper Mario 3
I'd trust the Dragon Quest team with it.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A true Paper Mario 3 by far. Can't go back to the old and busted SMRPG after the greatness that is Paper Mario and TTYD.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd pick a real Paper Mario game over a loooooot of things

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Dude. If Square Enix and Nintendo joined forces again for that my mind would be blown. Smrpg was one of the first rpgs I ever played and it's one of my favorites.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Paper Mario always.

It'd be nice if Nintendo owned all the original stuff in Super Mario RPG so they could do whatever the hell they wanted with those weirdo characters.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Full reboot.
SquareEnix back as developer.
Actual RPG, with funny writing and a grand adventure.
Ditch the b-tier production values, gimmicky paper craft mechanics and have actual Mario and friends go on a grand adventure and make it feel grand, like how we felt when SMRPG landed on the SNES.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I don't really care about the cast of SMRPG despite growing up with the game, but a new *traditional* Paper Mario would have me calling out of work.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I'd trust the Dragon Quest team with it.

This.

The thing is, it's either modern Square or the Modern Paper Mario team. Modern Square has the Dragon Quest team or the Octopath teams at least, Intelligent Systems doesn't have as great a record lately (the fact that most of Three Houses seems to be collaborative with Koei Tecmo makes figuring out if I can trust them difficult). I genuinely can't tell if I'd be excited for a new PM from them, whereas depending on the team, I could maybe be excited by a Square team depending on who's behind it.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019

This. I would not want modern Square to be involved with Mario, not unless it's by the team of Dragon Quest.

The team who had been involved within Super Mario RPG aren't involved today.

Last edited:

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
o3sd49r.jpg

Well, damn.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Since this is all operating in dream land anyway, I'll take SMRPG2. It would be a bit of a tonal shift for whoever wound up developing it, and Thousand Year Door was very good and all, but I think there's a lot of room in the original SMRPG framework that could be further explored and built on and I like the party dynamic in it more than Paper Mario's simplified RPG elements. Really either project could potentially still learn a lot from the other.

Alternatively find a new developer for the Mario & Luigi series and give me something that properly follows up on the mechanics of Superstar Saga.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Paper Mario always.

It'd be nice if Nintendo owned all the original stuff in Super Mario RPG so they could do whatever the hell they wanted with those weirdo characters.
they'd probably do about as much with them as they do with all the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi characters they have full access to

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Paper Mario, and it ain't even close (I liked Color Splash a lot too, though)

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Paper Mario is kind of predictable, the visuals will be like color splash and the tone will be light-hearted and fun, and well. It could be great, but it won't be surprising.

Super Mario RPG 2 though, meaning "realistic" darker visuals and a big AAA budget? It could end up lame, but it would also be more exciting and "new".

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
lol not even a close one for me.
Paper Mario 3. Only good thing about SMRPG was Yoko Shimomura's tunes, IMO.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love Mario RPG, but I'd rather a new Paper Mario in the vein of PM64/TTYD.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I really enjoyed Mario RPG, but it doesn't come close to Paper Mario, specially TTYD. I gotta go with PM here

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
SM RPG2. Both are really good BUT... we already have 2 Paper Marios, and only 1 SM RPG... so it's SM RPG turn!

Mar 9, 2018
I impulse voted for TTYD. But then I remembered, SMRPG2 might give us all the goodness of a TTYD style game but without the forced paper stuff.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
A new Paper Mario. A new SMRPG would be dope too, but I basically look at PM64 as a spiritual SMRPG2 anyways.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
We've already gotten a bunch of sequels to Mario RPG

Bring back the real Paper Mario though. Especially since the Mario RPG series seems to have died with AlphaDream and there's no reason to try and make a distinction between the franchises anymore.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
its a close one on the poll!

to the people saying that mario/luigi are mrpg sequels i mean I get your logic, a lot of the same principal staff worked on both. BUT those games are missing key traditional RPG features present in the original such as a party of diverse characters, including oddball unique one-offs as well as mario mainstays. Even superstar saga, which is the closest, it's world still feels lacking in world department as well, with so many unique locals and original characters.

my vote of course is for SMRPG 2, but only in the alternate reality where squaresoft still exists.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Honestly, I'm going with RPG since it wouldn't feel as much fatigue-y as Paper Mario is. Having a game that is basically more of the same from the first, only to make four (!!) different games trying new things to see what stick to prevent fatigue, only created fatigue. Even Color Splash which was a gorgeous breath of fresh air still paled due to it being held down by the weight of Sticker Star which was rather boring, and the less said about Paper Jam and Super, the better. (ML is even worse in regards to being "more of the same" and there's a reason that people got sick of newer games even if the core gameplay was still solid)

I think the fact there hasn't been a game that was exactly like SMRPG in 20+ years would make that sequel feel a bit more special and fresher than if PM just had "TTYD's gameplay, but newer and prettier with new worlds and such". Course, I also kinda want Mario RPGs to go sit down and take a big break for a while, unless they're as fresh as Kingdom Battle.