• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's kind of my thought. Particularly given that Konami hasn't managed to get a Castlevania game out even though there's a successful show running, and then their recent "attempt" at reviving Contra. The idea that they would be throwing money at Suikoden seems pretty hard to believe. Maybe if it's a collaboration with another publisher, I don't know.

I'm going to guess that it's some kind of successor that he is heading up with Furyu.

I hate being That Guy, but Konami did get a Castlevania game out. It was a mobile game that stopped getting content five months in and will discontinue in full in September.

You'd figure they'd do Suikoden because unlike Castlevania, it's disgustingly perfect for a gacha game. All of the high quality pngs you can buy to get through the game as your favorite Christmas and Summer themed waifus and husbandos. The Castlevania game died because all of the gacha was exclusively for equipment, and you can't get whales even if you inflate the difficulty as the game did.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be honest, if he plans to Kickstart a spiritual successor, I need to see in-game graphics as part of the announcement. None of this "if you give us enough money we'll start making it in a few months and figure out the graphics then" Bloodstained/Mighty No. 9 bullshit.

I've been burned so goddamn many times by "classic RPG revival!" Kickstarter projects that I just have zero faith in them now.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
I hope it's not a gacha game. I would enjoy a new Suikoden-like experience. But I'm also concerned about crowd-funded experiences.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
An hour, man this launches right when i'm driving home. Good luck for me getting some early bird tier then.

Nov 1, 2017
BTW Was Suikoden ever a profitable series? i wonder if Konami would just sell the rights back otherwise.
Does Konami sound like a company that throws away money on 11 video games, 2 collectable card games, a quarterly fanzine, several publications including manga and encyclopedias, figurines and branded merchandise over a period of 17 years?

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I hate being That Guy, but Konami did get a Castlevania game out. It was a mobile game that stopped getting content five months in and will discontinue in full in September.

You'd figure they'd do Suikoden because unlike Castlevania, it's disgustingly perfect for a gacha game. All of the high quality pngs you can buy to get through the game as your favorite Christmas and Summer themed waifus and husbandos. The Castlevania game died because all of the gacha was exclusively for equipment, and you can't get whales even if you inflate the difficulty as the game did.
Sorry yes, I was ignoring mobile since no one wants to think about that lol.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Does Konami sound like a company that throws away money on 11 video games, 2 collectable card games, a quarterly fanzine, several publications including manga and encyclopedias, figurines and branded merchandise over a period of 17 years?

You missed the dozens of amaaaaaazzzziiiing arrange albums, which are all almost equally awesome.

I don't doubt love/relevance died over the years, but I think it was strong for a while. Just Konami itself seemed to shift?

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Doh, I about to go home now from work so I'll probably check later for good news, hopefully...

Please, please, PLEASE. Fumi Ishikawa doing character designs for a new RPG? I'd be so happy.
Doing 108+ character designs was crazy & still manage to pull amazing designs too by the way.

I still have crush with Kasumi in 2 because of this.

latest

Truly deserve in natural beauty team combo.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
If the game goes 2D like 1 and 2. And is released for Playstation i'll Be ready to pledge despite promising not to pledge again after the mess that was Wonderful 101 (still haven't recieved my game)

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
ron gilbert ended up giving me what I wanted from double fine adventure lol

I love tim schafer as a creator, but he's the only person who ever made me think bobby kotick was right about something

Expectations are one thing but Broken Age was a beautiful little adventure game with lots of heart. OST was fire, art was fire, VO, etc...

It absolutely belongs in the "success" stories IMO, even if part II struggled a bit more.

Like when you look at the other kickstarters ...

And the documentary was so good too.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Worked for koji igarashi, worked for ron gilbert.

basically works for creators who also know how to manage projects. sounds like murayama is working with iga, so hopefully he will be helping on precisely that front

Hopefully they figure out a better visual style than the "basically just a Vita game" art we eventually got in Bloodstained.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If he's only following IGA and ArtPlay...yeah, he's totally doing a "I'll make a Suikoden without Konami" pitch of some kind.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Expectations are one thing but Broken Age was a beautiful little adventure game with lots of heart. OST was fire, art was fire, VO, etc...

It absolutely belongs in the "success" stories IMO, even if part II struggled a bit more.

Like when you look at the other kickstarters ...

And the documentary was so good too.

Successes are games that I consider did exactly what they were supposed to like:

Thimbleweed Park
Bloodstained
Shadowgate 2014
Wasteland 2
Shovel Knight
Chaos Reborn
Overload

etc etc. Broken Age for me kind of fits in the middle tier, not a failure but not what I wanted (like how has tim schafer not realised you need on hover item descriptions in 2015???), kind of like Broken Sword 5 (though it was better than BS5 at least).
Plus it went through a lot of rocky road to get there, like having to split up the game in the first place because tim didn't manage the budget well.

Documentary was indeed superb

Hopefully they figure out a better visual style than the "basically just a Vita game" art we eventually got in Bloodstained.

I don't mind Bloodstained, but yeah. Maybe they can get inti involved, they do good pixelart. Although they've never made a game like this before afaik

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind Bloodstained, but yeah. Maybe they can get inti involved, they do good pixelart. Although they've never made a game like this before afaik

Didn't Inti Creates develop Bloodstained too? Like they seem to be very good at NES-style visuals but I don't think PS1 or PS2-style is really their bag.

Nov 1, 2017
I don't doubt love/relevance died over the years, but I think it was strong for a while. Just Konami itself seemed to shift?
The main games always did fine up till IV at least. V didn't too hotly.

Some real duds with the GBA Card Stories though or the PSP rerelease of I&II, the Gaidens didn't too well either but based on how relatively inexpensive those would have been to make probably not a disaster either.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Inti Creates develop Bloodstained too? Like they seem to be very good at NES-style visuals but I don't think PS1 or PS2-style is really their bag.

They couldn't handle the development of the main game, so they only ended up doing the 8-bit spinoff. That ended up doing well so they made a sequel.

If it's a pixel game, they can nail it. If it requires high quality 3D assets, they appear to struggle immensely.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Didn't expect to wake up and lose hundreds of dollars today. Whatever it takes.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The main games always did fine up till IV at least. V didn't too hotly.

Some real duds with the GBA Card Stories though or the PSP rerelease of I&II, the Gaidens didn't too well either but based on how relatively inexpensive those would have been to make probably not a disaster either.

Yeah. Suikoden IV was a torpedo that blew a hole in the series' side, and then Suikoden V had the bad luck to release alongside...was it FFXII? FFXII or KH2, I can't remember which.

So not only did V have the incredibly bad reception to IV dragging it down, but it also released alongside a way higher-profile competitor that ate up its potential salesbase.

They couldn't handle the development of the main game, so they only ended up doing the 8-bit spinoff. That ended up doing well so they made a sequel.

If it's a pixel game, they can nail it. If it requires high quality 3D assets, they appear to struggle immensely.

Right. They've got the NES side-scroller art style on lockdown. I don't really think I see them pulling off the Suikoden look, though. That feels like a completely different paradigm from what they're used to.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm game for anything Murayama does, but I really don't see the appeal in a Bloodstained counterpart to Suikoden. I want Suikoden 6 as much as anyone else, but part of the appeal of Suikoden is the world he created, the aesthetics and the music, not just his writing and the gameplay.

If this is what he wants to do, then I guess I'm board. Still, I'd rather he do something new that won't just remind me about Suikoden and all the stuff that'll be left unresolved and unexplored.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure who took over after Inti Creates dropped out, but they apparently had some help from WayForward towards the end. Did you play or at least see the final version? It had a decent graphical upgrade towards the end of development. Some parts were still pretty bad like the underground areas, but a decent chunk of the castle looked pretty good I thought.

Keep in mind we're talking about games from people who left Konami and are stuck going to Kickstarter to get games made, graphics are going to suffer.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
If Konami isn't on board this won't be Suikoden, so I've already accepted that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure who took over after Inti Creates dropped out, but they apparently had some help from WayForward towards the end. Did you play or at least see the final version? It had a decent graphical upgrade towards the end of development. Some parts were still pretty bad like the underground areas, but a decent chunk of the castle looked pretty good I thought.

Keep in mind we're talking about games from people who left Konami and are stuck going to Kickstarter to get games made, graphics are going to suffer.

Oh, I played it. I got my physical copy and played up until the battle with Zangetsu in the dumb Japanese temple area. I bailed after that because the sheer amount of jankiness was getting to me.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

I think Bloodstained showed that it doesn't have to be called Castlevania to be a Castlevania game. So whatever this project might be called and is in fact a spiritual successor, what more is there to want? ^^

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I'm gonna be honest, if he plans to Kickstart a spiritual successor, I need to see in-game graphics as part of the announcement. None of this "if you give us enough money we'll start making it in a few months and figure out the graphics then" Bloodstained/Mighty No. 9 bullshit.

I've been burned so goddamn many times by "classic RPG revival!" Kickstarter projects that I just have zero faith in them now.

this is a very valid concern. goddamn, I really hope they deliver!

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Murayama-san made his twitter account for this very reason (i think). this has to be worth it.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

at this point, I have too. but this has also increased my curiosity. like what might this game be???
always down for more Suikoden like games so I'm definitely expecting that

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Murayama was the most integral piece of the puzzle for me. I liked Suikoden 4&5 but it was clear to me his writing/directing made the difference between something I enjoyed to my favorite thing ever. Unless the game would turn out wretchedly ugly don't think I'll care thaat much how it ends up looking like.
Worst case it looks like Bloodstained RoTN which yeah it's not pixels but it's fine. Suikoden 5 had good enough graphics at the time, nothing that wow'd me but I enjoyed it.

While we're posting tunes:

Status
Not open for further replies.