• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VII Remake has been available for over a month now, and it feels like its release ended up being a landmark moment for the series. With that in mind, we got the opportunity to talk to producer Yoshinori Kitase and co-director Naoki Hamaguchi about Remake's development, its launch, and the decisions behind some of the game's design.

Final Fantasy VII Remake expands on the Midgar story arc significantly. When developing the game, how did you decide on the parts that you wanted to expand?

Kitase:
I personally envisioned quite a dramatic change overall, but our director; Tetsuya Nomura and co-director; Naoki Hamaguchi, wanted to keep the beloved aspects in the original as much as possible. Eventually the development team decided to focus on respecting the original while adding in new elements, ensuring a delicate balance between the two.

Other tidbits at: http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020...opment_launch_and_being_grateful_for_the_fans

Summon Meteor if old

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Lol so I guess Nomura isn't the madman we make him out to be

The truth revealed
OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nomura saved FFVII twice.
r1XhKD0.png

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
let's also not forget, that it was Hamaguchi that pushed for a stronger Sepiroth Presence in the Remake and
the Boss Fight with him

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As always, the lesson here is to stop making up narratives regarding video game developers. This trend that turns these people into one note cartoon characters is pretty tiring.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
I'm pretty sure Kitase & Nojima also wanted in the OG FFVII to have everyone but Cloud & two chosen party members die when you parachute back into Midgar. As many problems as I have with Nomura irt KH, he's been a very good influence on both OG FVII & Remake.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nomura has always had a great respect for what has come before, hell even in Dissidia during it's development one of the big things he pushed was the use of Amano stylings for the majority of the cast despite Nomura's own versions being the most recognizable/known for many of the cast.

So it's not all that shocking he tried to keep it faithful.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I mean, k. I don't see how this changes how anyone can or should feel about the changes that were made to the game. Just that the game would've been even more different if Kitase was solely in charge. It's a totally different conversation.

Deleted member 42641

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 25, 2018
As always, the lesson here is to stop making up narratives regarding video game developers. This trend that turns these people into one note cartoon characters is pretty tiring.

This wont stop the majority of the forum from making the two jokes they have about nomura and kojima though, some people think after years of it being repeated its still a needed a post lol

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm part of the silent majority that really enjoyed the changes that were made, but I'm indeed glad they didn't go further with it. Thought it struck a solid balance between old and new.

This wont stop the majority of the forum from making the two jokes they have about nomura and kojima though, some people think after years of it being repeated its still a needed a post lol
I wouldn't mind it if the jokes were still funny and fresh but yeah, it's been recycled to death through drive-by pots, etc.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Huh? Who are you talking to?
Basically all of the "Nomura redeemed!" folks. The hot take is that Nomura is responsible for all of the bad stuff--or it was the hot take--and this doesn't really say anything either way. All it says is that Kitase wanted to make more sweeping changes, not what kind.

fwiw I don't think Nomura is a particularly good writer but he's respectful towards source material and that's rad.

Whirlpool

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really know how to take this because I have no clue what those changes were. lol

If Nomura was responsible for that ending, then it seems a little odd for him to say that.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Now THIS is the biggest subversion of my expectations that this game delivered lol

I apologize and will stop taking shots at Nomura's directing

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup this was fun to discover in the spoiler thread a few weeks ago

BuT NoRmUa Is A hAcK!1!1!1

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I expected Nomura to be the one who pushed crazy shit, not Kitase. The fact that Nomura is the one who reigned him in.. lol

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
This does not mean that the ending wasn't something that Nomura came up with, since it follows the themes and narratives that he has introduced in his latest works.

Kitase pushing for more changes on the overall journey through Midgard is another thing.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This does not mean that the ending wasn't something that Nomura came up with, since it follows the themes and narratives that he has introduced in his latest works.

Kitase pushing for more changes on the overall journey through Midgard is another thing.

But it wasn't

If NoRmUa had his way

there would have been no Sephiroth fight at the end

Y'all gotta stop demonizing devs

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I don't believe him. maybe he is telling the truth, maybe he is not.

Kitase was never very honest about Final Fantasy development, do you remember Versus XIII progressing well??

I think Japanese developers in general are not very honest when talking to media. they will just tell you what you want to hear. Nomura is the game's director and will probably direct the sequels too, so it is not good for SE if negativity started to surround him.

Whirlpool

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But it wasn't

If NoRmUa had his way

Based on what? They never said the ending wasn't Nomura's idea. You guys are jumping to conclusions.

Kitase wanting major changes to Midgar does NOT mean that Kitase is responsible for every change the fanbase hates. Of course, it doesn't mean Nomura is necessarily responsible for the bad changes either. Even though it seems likely.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't believe him. maybe he is telling the truth, maybe he is not.

Kitase was never very honest about Final Fantasy development, do you remember Versus XIII progressing well??

I think Japanese developers in general are not very honest when talking to media. they will just tell you what you want to hear. Nomura is the game's director and will probably direct the sequels too, so it is not good for SE if negativity started to surround him.
Negativity?

the game scored very well and even the ending while it does have its detractors was met by a lot of praise and fan love as well.

This comment even if he said Nomura wanted to change more wouldn't be negative. There is literally zero reason to think he is lying or covering for Nomura.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
But it wasn't

If NoRmUa had his way

Uhm, I'm not actually demonizing no-one, my post has a valid point and I wasn't even talking about the final boss encounter (which I personally liked and thought it was well inserted).

I understand it has been a pretty heated debate discussing the Remake choices since it released, but maybe if you guys didn't see every Final Fantasy thread as a battleground to throw stuff at individual professionals we might start getting discussions that don't turn into black or white stances.

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
Kitase demanded corridors in exchange for fewer changes to the original story. Makes sense.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't really have an opinion on this until I learn about what changes he wanted compared to what Nomura wanted and whatever. The problem with the story wasn't the inherent notion of there being changes but rather what those changes were.