• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
JPGAMES: Fans still hope that "Ishin" and "Kenzan" will be localised. Under what circumstances would you consider localisation?
Sato: Personally, I would like to see these titles localized so that Western fans can enjoy them. In the past, we prioritised trying to regain a foothold in the west with Yakuza 0. Time quickly flew by without a good time to publish these titles. In my opinion, the action in "Ishin" and "Kenzan" is some of the best in the series. So I would like to localize the titles if there is a chance. However, they are already seven years old. So it would take additional work to produce remakes instead of simple ports. That makes the decision a little more complicated.

Yakuza producer Daisuke Sato wants to bring Yakuza Kenzan and Ishin to the west, would be remakes instead of ports

In a recent interview with JPGames, Yakuza producer Daisuke Sato shared his thoughts on Yakuza Kenzan and Ishin possibly coming to the west. Although Sato wants to see the games localized in the west, the development of these games would be a bit more complicated. Since the games released more...

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This feels like a waste of money for games that the people who want them would buy regardless.

They're PS3 games. You don't need to remake them.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Kenzan, I can maybe understand since it has a shit framerate, but Ishin is perfect as is. I think a remaster would be more than enough.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
YES BRING THEM.

Fine with simple ports. Don't overcomplicate it. Just give me what I want.

200w.gif

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I could live without a Kenzan port or remake. It's just not very good, and the content about Haruka is really fucking bad.

Ishin is awesome and y'all should play it if gets brought over.

full remakes? i feel like remasters would be fine for these

Kenzan's combat predates Yakuza 3, and it shows. It's a clunker by modern standards.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Kenzan is the only one that really needs the remake, Ishin is fine as-is. I do want them both though.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Not something I'd be happy about one bit. Remaking Ishin is so hilariously pointless that I can't see why on earth they'd consider it. The game is fantastic as is, runs perfectly and looks great. I can't see what remaking its combat in the newer engine will bring, especially if they mess it up like they did when they tried to remake Kiwami 2 with 6's combat. That'd be one easy way to fuck it up...

Likewise, Kenzan being remade would probably suffer the same issues in terms of combat though granted I can see people whining about it if they straight up remastered the game... despite that being the vastly preferred choice for me - Kenzan just needs a few QoL changes here and there to update it - fix the side story situation (missing them is way too easy, locking you out of stuff), and fix premium adventure mode while they are at it so that it no longer resets 90% of your progress after you finish the game (moves, mini game progress etc. is all reset - all you keep is the list of heat moves you've performed, the level Kiryu is at, money, items and weapons you unlocked...)

But hopefully neither will be remade and they just focus on making new stuff instead which I'd be more than happy to buy several times over.

Well, I guess remakes are better then nothing if nothing serious gets butchered, like Kiwami 2...
Knowing what they did with Kiwami 2... I foresee characters getting replaced with famous faces just because they can, combat getting messed up, mini games getting cut, FMV cutscenes in Kenzan getting cut maybe, licensed music changed/removed (which would murder the best side story in the entire series). And maybe mess up the look and colour of Kenzan (its got a really striking colour palette that remakes could mess up, especially looking at Kiwami 2's piss filter).

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Ports, remasters... I don't care. Give 'em to me anyway possible and I'll buy them.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not Ishin, that's perfectly fine already, Kenzan is still kind of unnecessary but it needs it a little bit.

Deleted member 44122

dont overthink it, im fine with simple remasters too

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Do it, Ishin would be like best shinesgumi game to hit west. I want it, I played some of it but Yakuza series are hard to enjoy with language barrier.

OP
OP
jbug617

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
would the story of Kenzan cause a problem? I read that it deals with child prostitution

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
;/ I want Ports tho. Kenzan i can at least kinda understand, but Ishin is just 7 years old lmao

J75

Sep 29, 2018
So they were fine with simply remastering a 9 year old game at the time, Yakuza 3 to PS4 back in 2018 and releasing said remaster on Xbox/PC this year, but Ishin, which is only 7 years old now needs a full remake? Strange logic if you ask me.

Just bring the ports over here, recreating the maps of both games in the Dragon Engine from scratch alone would take a while.

Jun 13, 2020
I assume he means remasters? Ishin doesn't look much clunkier than 0 and 3 just got a remaster. It feels like a mistranslation honestly.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I could live without a Kenzan port or remake. It's just not very good, and the content about Haruka is really fucking bad.

Ishin is awesome and y'all should play it if gets brought over.

Kenzan's combat predates Yakuza 3, and it shows. It's a clunker by modern standards.
Gee, what a surprise... Haruka's plot while grim isn't exactly inaccurate to the time period. I'm glad that the series doesn't shy away from that side of things. Kenzan can't be remade without that content either way and it shouldn't be ignored just because history isn't always pretty...

Also, Kenzan's combat isn't clunky by modern standards... if you actually bother to learn all the moves and how combat actually works its one of the best, if not the best game in the series. I replayed it last year and the only two points where the combat stumbled is the third fight against Majima (he has few openings to damage him, but its still perfectly possible) and one arena/bounty fight against a large Sumo type character who can somehow block blade attacks (unlike any other hand to hand fighter) but even then its just a matter of using certain throws skillfully to knock him on his ass and follow up with some heat moves.

Otherwise the gameplay is excellent, combat works exceptionally well with how counters work across each style and how heat moves are set up that you can pretty much counter any attack... if you know what your doing. So yeah, if you find Kenzan clunky, I'd say your playing it wrong as the game bends over backwards to give you every tool you need in a fight.
But of course, if its remade any semblance of difficulty will be erased, same with any new Yakuza game, especially with how Kiwami 2 forgot to add difficulty into the game and made Kiryu vastly over powered even if you never upgraded his strength.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gee, what a surprise... Haruka's plot while grim isn't exactly inaccurate to the time period. I'm glad that the series doesn't shy away from that side of things. Kenzan can't be remade without that content either way and it shouldn't be ignored just because history isn't always pretty...

would the story of Kenzan cause a problem? I read that it deals with child prostitution

I'd like some elaboration on what's going on with Haruka in Kenzan, if you don't mind. I vaguely remember hearing this but I've never been told how it was depicted or treated.

It's possible to demonstrate historical travesties with dignity, but this seems like the kind of thing where a particularly deft hand would be needed.

May 15, 2019
They should just port them. I hate the Kiwamis but at least I can go back to the PS2 and deal with the worse localization, for these games there's no option for purists who'd want to see them as they originally released but in English.