• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
New general trailer showing off a bit of everything, including one particularly mad summon (and no, I'm not talking about the diaper guys or the tiger) - its kinda spoilery since it shows off a couple of later game party members (including a big spoiler for 6) and also shows off some returning characters...

It looks amazing. They always try and push the boat out when it comes to mainline games content (even 6 had a ton of brand new content to the game despite dialing back returning content) and 7 looks to be no different. Also shows off the first glimpse of Sotenbori in 7 (but really, its just like it was in Kiwami 2, though hopefully we get 5's map for it this time...)

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ok but can you evolve them, thats gonna make or break this for me!

I love that they can just do crazy stuff like that, reminds me of DQ8 having its own pokemon-esque minigame.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New general trailer showing off a bit of everything, including one particularly mad summon (and no, I'm not talking about the diaper guys or the tiger) - its kinda spoilery since it shows off a couple of later game party members (including a big spoiler for 6) and also shows off some returning characters...

It looks amazing. They always try and push the boat out when it comes to mainline games content (even 6 had a ton of brand new content to the game despite dialing back returning content) and 7 looks to be no different. Also shows off the first glimpse of Sotenbori in 7 (but really, its just like it was in Kiwami 2, though hopefully we get 5's map for it this time...)

Holy shit
flQiF9X.png

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine it's an intentional reference lol
Well they have a complete Pokemon parody in the same game that drops Dragon Quest references all about the place, so yeah, probably very intentional! I can't wait to see what they do with him in the game, he looks hilarious. Thankfully I don't have long to wait...

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
The only problem with recommending zero is that it absolutely ruins Kiwami 1. Kiwami 1 is so cut and watered down from zero gameplay and side content wise...
Yeah, true, but if people play Kiwami 1 first, it may not give them the best impression of the series, and they may not continue. Suggesting 0 at least ensures they play one really damn good Yakuza game.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Also shows off the first glimpse of Sotenbori in 7 (but really, its just like it was in Kiwami 2, though hopefully we get 5's map for it this time...)
I'll admit, that's a bit of an issue I'm having here: Sotenbori looks like its K2 version, which normally wouldn't be a problem, except K2 is set in 2006, and Y7 is set many years later (2019? 2020?). It should look pretty different, considering how much time has passed.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

Game looks fantastic and I love the new battle system with all the crazy skills :D
Would like to see a boss fight, I believe they will be amazing.

Not really important but imo this will probably be the first 90+ Yakuza game at meta/opencritic.
Looks too good and ambitious to get less xD

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Oh Sotenbori is in this game? Kamurucho, Sotenbori and Yokohama? Great :D
Yup. Rumors had been floating around since September but they finally confirmed it this alst week, sounds like its where the Arena lives (and since its the Omi HQ, I'd wager some late game fights will be here as well)

This game is probably gonna take 300 hours to platinum with all the extra shit they keep pumping into it. Makes my head spin.
I'll let you know once I finish it. I'd probably wager its closer to 150-200 hours to plat, depending on the completion list. Initially I'd have guessed closer to 120 hours because most of the mini games return from Judgment/Yakuza 6 but then they kept piling on more and more new stuff (and two more towns) so... yeah its going to take a long time no doubt.

I'll admit, that's a bit of an issue I'm having here: Sotenbori looks like its K2 version, which normally wouldn't be a problem, except K2 is set in 2006, and Y7 is set many years later (2019? 2020?). It should look pretty different, considering how much time has passed.
We'll have to wait and see. I'm more interested to see if we get the park and lowest area of the map that was added to 5 (and then retroactively added to 0). Soten in this game is sorta a mess continuity wise because 2 it was smaller, then 5 it was larger, then 0 stuck with the larger map, then Kiwami 2 reverts to the smaller one... bah!

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
I imagine it's an intentional reference lol
Well they have a complete Pokemon parody in the same game that drops Dragon Quest references all about the place, so yeah, probably very intentional! I can't wait to see what they do with him in the game, he looks hilarious. Thankfully I don't have long to wait...

The Kiwami Heat action for the Rush style in Kiwami 1 was a clear JoJo reference already.

...and likely this, unless it was added by the localization team:

CvvBLTB.png

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really want to play this. Not going to go through 7 previous games though. Would I be lost?

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
The only problem with recommending zero is that it absolutely ruins Kiwami 1. Kiwami 1 is so cut and watered down from zero gameplay and side content wise...

Yeah, true, but if people play Kiwami 1 first, it may not give them the best impression of the series, and they may not continue. Suggesting 0 at least ensures they play one really damn good Yakuza game.
Anecdotally, I know of people who started with Kiwami and had it negatively affect their enjoyment of 0's story due to certain characters' story arcs in Kiwami. They just flat out didn't care about these characters any more, and couldn't get invested in 0 as a result.

And as someone who personally started with 0, I feel that doing so enhanced my enjoyment of Kiwami's story. The storytelling in 0 is just way better at getting you to care about the characters, and that's the hook that's gonna compel you to play and love the entire series.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The Kiwami Heat action for the Rush style in Kiwami 1 was a clear JoJo reference already.

...and likely this, unless it was added by the localization team:

CvvBLTB.png
You say Jojo, but I'd wager its a FOTNS reference, seeing as the same animation is reused for Kenshiro in FOTNS. But it could easily be either, I forget which of the "hit people tons of times until they die fantastically" came first. Either way, I love references like that. The localisation team will probably have a fun time with the translation as well, what with the whole "Ass Katcham" thing in Judgment (which is still funny no matter how many times I read it)

Anecdotally, I know of people who started with Kiwami and had it negatively affect their enjoyment of 0's story due to certain characters' story arcs in Kiwami. They just flat out didn't care about these characters any more, and couldn't get invested in 0 as a result.

And as someone who personally started with 0, I feel that doing so enhanced my enjoyment of Kiwami's story. The storytelling in 0 is just way better at getting you to care about the characters, and that's the hook that's gonna compel you to play and love the entire series.
And as a counterpoint to this opinion, having played the games as they were released over the years starting with 1 on the PS2, seeing Kashiwagi get a boss fight, Sera get fleshed out, Dojima get to be the complete asshole we all knew he was, seeing Shimano's eyebrows again... it all made 0 better because I loved these characters back in the day and say their roles expanded upon. But then again, I also suggest starting with 0 over Kiwami since one leads neatly into the other, only time I'd recommend experiencing 1 before 0 is doing a PS2/)PS3 remaster run of the originals and then playing 0 later to see how far the series progressed.

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
You say Jojo, but I'd wager its a FOTNS reference, seeing as the same animation is reused for Kenshiro in FOTNS. But it could easily be either, I forget which of the "hit people tons of times until they die fantastically" came first. Either way, I love references like that. The localisation team will probably have a fun time with the translation as well, what with the whole "Ass Katcham" thing in Judgment (which is still funny no matter how many times I read it)
Pretty sure that sort of attack was used in FOTNS first, but it's framed near identically to one specific sequence from the JoJo anime (I should dig up one comparison I had found...), and on top of that one of the voice clips is OraOraOra, which is specifically JoJo.
Of course it also fits FOTNS, and with RGGS being masters of smart reuse, no doubt they recycled it.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Not really important but imo this will probably be the first 90+ Yakuza game at meta/opencritic.
Idk about that.

I feel like media and mainstream people in general have this perception that Yakuza games are good, low to mid 80 games. Like if Yakuza 0 didn't manage to get close to 90, then I don't think any other Yakuza game can.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
And as a counterpoint to this opinion, having played the games as they were released over the years starting with 1 on the PS2, seeing Kashiwagi get a boss fight, Sera get fleshed out, Dojima get to be the complete asshole we all knew he was, seeing Shimano's eyebrows again... it all made 0 better because I loved these characters back in the day and say their roles expanded upon. But then again, I also suggest starting with 0 over Kiwami since one leads neatly into the other, only time I'd recommend experiencing 1 before 0 is doing a PS2/)PS3 remaster run of the originals and then playing 0 later to see how far the series progressed.

Fair counterpoint, though I'd argue that starting with the original PS2 entries in their heyday is a very different experience than starting with them or their remakes in the modern era. I enjoyed Yakuza Kiwami's story thanks to 0 making me love the characters, and I might've enjoyed Yakuza 1's story had I played it back in the PS2 days... but it'd probably seem lacking for someone starting there today.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
I can't wait for this. Really optimistic about the combat system change, it allows so much more fun stuff to be included.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Idk about that.

I feel like media and mainstream people in general have this perception that Yakuza games are good, low to mid 80 games. Like if Yakuza 0 didn't manage to get close to 90, then I don't think any other Yakuza game can.

Technical, Yakuza 0 is imo a bit outdated with some framedrops or tearing issues, I believe with the new Dragon engine like Kiwami 2 or Yakuza 6, Zero would have reached the 90 or close.

But 7 will reach that heights imo with the new engine, bigger city, refreshing battle system (I am sure many critics will honor the new direction) and even more side content.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
Can they really not get day and date at this point?
Why is Sega so slow with their localisation?
Despite the resurgence the series had in the west, It's still pretty niche. None of the games here came close to doing even a million copy for instance. Add the fact that they are really text heavy, and it's easy to see why we don't get these games day and date.

Even a series like Persona that did over 3mil in its latest entry still gets delayed release in the west. So I don't think you should expect a more niche game to do a worldwide launch.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying Kiwami right now despite playing Zero first 2 years ago, so i assume i'll love Kiwami 2 even more?
Haven't played kiwami 2 yet.

I played Kiwami 1 first and I thought it was really good, then I played zero and realized how cut down it was. I still love it as my introduction into the series, but I'd have been really disappointed if I played Kiwami 1 after zero.

The sega arcade doesn't even have sega games in it :(

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This game is going to be GOTY

Between this Yakuza and Shin Sakura Wars Sega is going to spoil me a lot next year.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this gonna be on PC? My PS4 died and this is rapidly becoming a must play title for me.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Fair counterpoint, though I'd argue that starting with the original PS2 entries in their heyday is a very different experience than starting with them or their remakes in the modern era. I enjoyed Yakuza Kiwami's story thanks to 0 making me love the characters, and I might've enjoyed Yakuza 1's story had I played it back in the PS2 days... but it'd probably seem lacking for someone starting there today.
Yeah, agree with this. I remember playing the original on the PS2 over Xmas and was floored by the characters. I loved Kiryu and his crew, instantly knew Majima was someone special even though his role in the original PS2 game was just essentially a crazy goon of Shimano (and was not surprised when they brought him back for 2!). Its funny because looking at how much Nishiki footage you originally get in the PS2 game he's kinda there, then gone for big parts of the game. 0 and Kiwami add in tons of story/character building for him, which helps no ends really hit home how great of a character he is, and that boss fight feels all the cooler for it, in my opinion.
My main issue with the original mainly was down to some quirks with the system - combat lock on wasn't very good (especially certain fights) and the moves list is limited, and while copy/pasting 0s combat almost completely had its own issues in places, it instantly made many of the fights (especially late game fights where your high leveled) that much more fun because of your far larger moves list. That and silly stuff like failing/losing side stories locking you out of others was done away with, never liked that in the old games.

I'm really enjoying Kiwami right now despite playing Zero first 2 years ago, so i assume i'll love Kiwami 2 even more?
Probably. Kiwami 2 does several things better than Kiwami 1, though it has a few issues of its own in places (Kiwami was a tough game on hard mode, I loves it, Kiwami 2 is almost the polar opposite on hard, especially if you use heat moves which are insanely overpowered). Kiwami 2 has a different moves list for Kiryu, which depending on your opinion of dragon combat really can swing it either way (you might like it more, you might not). But Kiwami 2 is more "modern" in many regards thanks to the new engine, looks fantastic as well. Yakuza is always much of a muchness, if you like one, you'll probably find enjoyment in other sequels. So yeah, I'd imagine you'd enjoy it.

Haven't played kiwami 2 yet.

I played Kiwami 1 first and I thought it was really good, then I played zero and realized how cut down it was. I still love it as my introduction into the series, but I'd have been really disappointed if I played Kiwami 1 after zero.

The sega arcade doesn't even have sega games in it :(

Not so much cut down but its definitely the game with the least new mini games. Also, Mesuking counts as a Sega arcade game, its a parody of Sega's own arcade game called Mushiking, which is a rock/paper/scissors bug game. Only difference here is they replaced the literal bugs with scantily clad ladies with bug hats. Not sure if you've played other Yakuza games other than 0, but real Sega arcade game inclusion didn't technically start until Yakuza 5 - Yakuza 1 never had any playable arcade games, just the crane game, 2 had a pretty bad original arcade game called YF6 I think? (its replaced in Kiwami 2 with Virtua Fighter 2 and Virtual On), 3 got the awesome new game Boxcelious while that returns in 4 and Dead Souls alongside its sequel. 5 then added Virtua Fighter 2 and a licensing agreement with Namco got a demo of Taiko Drum Master included (3 songs, two difficulties). And from there arcades just expanded with more and more classic games. Yakuza 6 and Judge Eyes are the gold standards in this regard, with them including tons of awesome games, including a couple never ported to home consoles prior.

Is this gonna be on PC? My PS4 died and this is rapidly becoming a must play title for me.
PS4 first, but it stands to reason it'll come eventually. Just not sure when.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
Technical, Yakuza 0 is imo a bit outdated with some framedrops or tearing issues, I believe with the new Dragon engine like Kiwami 2 or Yakuza 6, Zero would have reached the 90 or close.

But 7 will reach that heights imo with the new engine, bigger city, refreshing battle system (I am sure many critics will honor the new direction) and even more side content.
I hope you are right, but personally I don't see it. Hopefully I'm wrong on this.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
All depends on how people gel with the combat I think. I honestly though Judgment deserved a higher MC myself, because I loved the game so much, and didn't really have issues with tailing stuff. But some people really, really didn't like that stuff. So honestly I have no idea how 7 will end up scoring, not that I particularly care.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

Probably but could take a while...

I believe Y6 is still not out for PC and also not Judgment.

I hope you are right, but personally I don't see it. Hopefully I'm wrong on this.

Maybe I am too optimistic but I believe ;)

Everything looks so well done and imo like a next step, especially with a complete new and bigger city (plus the older locations), the new battle system which looks imo amazing with all the different chars and skills or all the new side content like kart races, sujimon etc...

And I believe the boss fights will be a big strength of Y7.
Only problem could be a disappointing story but that will not happen most likely.

Last edited:

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I have to say after playing the Japanese demo, I have warmed up to it not being a beat em' up (even though I still would prefer it over turn based). It has all of the makings of yet another Yakuza that's going to consume my life. I can see all of the pokemon satire now with this addition to the game.

Please let Kiryu join my party

And the reign of me never getting a Yakuza platinum in my life. Those games are packed.
Yakuza 6 is by far the easiest if that's your goal btw. I was able to get the platinum in about 60hrs I think(wayyy shorter than other yakuzas to get a platinum). There's not a lot left to chance(mainly the gambling stuff) which makes things waaaaay easier in that game compared to the other Yakuza's

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'll agree that recommending the PS2 games today is going to be extremely hit and miss.
Though, I started with Yakuza 1 for PS2 in 2015. I loved it so much I bought up pretty much all the subsequent entries before I was even starting Yakuza 2.
I thought Yakuza 0 worked wonderfully for someone familiar with the characters and events of Yakuza 1, though the reverse works just as fine too. As well, the fleshing out of Nishiki and the further connections added in Kiwami make it all the more powerful.

... only time I'd recommend experiencing 1 before 0 is doing a PS2/)PS3 remaster run of the originals and then playing 0 later to see how far the series progressed.

I so wish those HD ports were localized and came out over here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I so wish those HD ports were localized and came out over here.
Its a pity that they released in a time when the series was at an all time low over here (and didn't help those remasters didn't set Japanese charts on fire either, especially the hilariously bad Wii U sales). The collection adds a few little QoL things that easily make them the definitive versions of the games, even over PC emulation, so them stuck on PS3 is disappointing (and one of the reasons I keep my PS3 set up at all times).

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I think it's fair to assume no arcades this time around. I don't understand why Sega doesn't go all in on that front. Would it kill them to have Streets of Rage, Sonic or other classic cabinets? Yes I know Club Sega exists within the Yakuza series, but it always feels shallow. Fantasy Zone is not my favorite and you're lucky to get more than one game.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's fair to assume no arcades this time around. I don't understand why Sega doesn't go all in on that front. Would it kill them to have Streets of Rage, Sonic or other classic cabinets? Yes I know Club Sega exists within the Yakuza series, but it always feels shallow. Fantasy Zone is not my favorite and you're lucky to get more than one game.
But we are getting arcade Games like Virtua Fighter 5 and 2 and more. Unless you mean games like Outrun 2 (which I would love. It is hard to do though cause they have licensed stuff in it). I would love Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder.