• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I believe it, its not as hard as people think to turn real time combat into turn based and vice versa. Diablo 1 started out as turned based for instance.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
If find that surprising, the combat mechanisms resonate so well with the story and with Ichiban. It's very meta, and a perfect fit. I can't believe it's an afterthought.

I also doubt that it was an afterthought. I imagine there were key players on the team unsure with the idea of a turn-based combat engine. The April Fools video was probably a push by certain other members to prove that there was some level of interest in such a thing (while also acting as a proof of concept).

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Yeah but at no point throughout the series have I thought, "This combat would be better if it was turn based." I don't think the series had aspirations to get to this point from the beginning.
That's the first thing I thought when I started playing Yakuza 0 and it clicked on me that the game really was an action focused JRPG. It ticks every box: long dialogues, lots of exposition, sidequests, random enemy encounters... Never did really enjoy the action gameplay part thought, it's really subpar in my opinion. As soon as it was announced that Y7 would be turn based, my wishes came to life. The gameplay feels so damn good now.

Dosmo

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Given the story, it seems that even if it was real time it would still have to be party based.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Haven't gotten around to watching this (or their last about the other SEGA guy) but that's hilarious.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
People saying they doubt it because of all the DQ/RPG references, honestly I think nearly all of them would have worked with a classic ARPG system (which is what Yakuza basically was).
It's also such a breath of fresh air compared to other JRPGs. I love seeing a JRPG with such an old cast of characters, with character writing that's refreshingly devoid of JRPG and anime tropes.
It's funny how this is true even though Ichiban is constantly referencing or being inspired by JRPG tropes

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
It's good turn based combat but i really hope they go back to brawler. The boss fights get so monotonous, waiting for turns is boring, watching the same attacks play out is boring. I just really don't like how, despite being very fast for a turn based game, it's still slow enough to feel like it interrupts the flow. The dragon engine brawler combat was so so good in Kiwami 2. I much prefer that fast seamless and visceral feel from the brawler combat. I'm finding that the turn based combat just gets grating and repetitious a lot faster than the brawling did.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
. The dragon engine brawler combat was so so good in Kiwami 2.
Was it? It wasn't awful but "so good" is certainly not how I'd describe it, rather I'd say "a step back from the original PS2 game in every way aside from graphics". That sums it up to me way better. So much was cut back, cut out, or downgraded in the remake - some moves are completely cut (still...) and some are nerfed to the point that they are completely useless (Tiger Drop). Heat moves are completely overpowered to the point where using them ruins fights because they end far too quick, which leads into the issue of how the game difficulty (on hard mode especially) is just so low that it negatively impacts the fun I have with the game - dudes like Hayashi, Shindo and the penultimate boss are all over in the blink of an eye. Certain weapon pickups (pliers, needle etc.) go from things you find scattered around the streets leading to some fun and dynamic battles to stuff that you have to purchase elsewhere, equip, then repair once they break which just kills the flow of the game.

Judge Eyes does a vastly better job in every respect when it comes to the combat - half because it adds in a bunch of new moves (while adding back some old ones to boot) while also fixing stuff like the Tiger Drop, and half because its a brand new game not tied down by an objectively superior, older version of the game. The RPG combat certainly has some issues (especially with the bosses, so much with the bosses...) but Kiwami 2 is probably the worst comparison I could pick, as that itself has so many combat issues on its own!

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
The hell? You brought it up the burden of proof is on you.

I'm under no obligation to prove something that can be easily searched or easily asked.

It's one thing to not like the direction of the latest combat in Yakuza, it's another thing altogether to claim that there's no modern 3D brawler available.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
and thank you god for that change.

The turn based combat is fucking amazing. Even my brother who has never liked or really played turn based is loving it. It was a new main character, so new systems was fine by me and god damn is it good.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I applaud them taking a risk but I won't ever touch this game because they changed it to a RPG, let's see what they do with 8

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Amazing, it worked out brilliantly too, the game is fun as hell.

I liked the brawling for what it was in the old game but i definitely prefer this, i can see how this does not sit well with hardcore fans though.

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I'm under no obligation to prove something that can be easily searched or easily asked.

It's one thing to not like the direction of the latest combat in Yakuza, it's another thing altogether to claim that there's no modern 3D brawler available.
Yep. Like the game or not, Marvel's Avengers is a brawler that just got released.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Like the game or not, Marvel's Avengers is a brawler that just got released.

The one that nobody liked is your best example?

Never you both mind that that game is far closer to DESTINY than Yakuza.

Just admit you don't have any alternatives to what Yakuza 0-6 was. You'd probably have an easier time finding a Super Monkey Ball equivalent.

Yakuza is peak Sega weird shit/creativity and nothing can really fill that void if you don't like the RPG battle system or prefer to get a more fulfilling RPG elsewhere.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I thought about getting Yakuza 7 but I hadn't played one since the original on Ps2 so decided to pick up Zero instead. I love the game but the constant random battles on the street is getting annoying. At least the battles can be dealt with very quickly but if it was turn based and still happening at this rate I would image it would be infuriating.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the first thing I thought when I started playing Yakuza 0 and it clicked on me that the game really was an action focused JRPG. It ticks every box: long dialogues, lots of exposition, sidequests, random enemy encounters... Never did really enjoy the action gameplay part thought, it's really subpar in my opinion. As soon as it was announced that Y7 would be turn based, my wishes came to life. The gameplay feels so damn good now.
This is also me. For me the worst part of yakuza 0 was the combat, i didnt really like it much, everything else was carrying the game for me.

Oct 27, 2017

I googled and I can't find anything other than old games. Mind telling me what I have missed?
If this game is a brawler then I don't know what Streets of Rage, Final Fight, Urban Reigns or Yakuza is.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
User Warned: Trolling over a Series of Posts
I googled and I can't find anything other than old games. Mind telling me what I have missed?

If you're genuinely serious about finding other brawlers to get into, you could make a ResetEra topic about it. Somebody's bound to suggest something you haven't tried before.

Oct 27, 2017
If you're genuinely serious about finding other brawlers to get into, you could make a ResetEra topic about it. Somebody's bound to suggest something you haven't tried before.
You made the claim then show me where all these games are.

Just in this thread you had people saying Dynasty Warriors and Avengers are brawler games (when they are not) and this tells me how much the brawler genre has fallen these days. I also googled just to be sure but I can't find anything that is 3d brawling like you claimed is still being put out.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
It's unfortunate that every discussion about the brawling combat in Yakuza inevitably devolves into people telling those who liked the old combat system that it, in fact, was actually shit, and that we should totally enjoy the new combat, because the series wasn't just about the brawling.

It's not a dealbreaker for me like it is for some people, but the old games just scratched an itch that Yakuza 7 fails to satisfy. And "but just play the old games over again" isn't really a great answer either, although inevitably someone will say that.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
You made the claim then show me where all these games are.

Just in this thread you had people saying Dynasty Warriors and Avengers are brawler games (when they are not) and this tells me how much the brawler genre has fallen these days. I also googled just to be sure but I can't find anything that is 3d brawling like you claimed is still being put out.

I made a claim, not a contractual agreement. We get it, you don't like the new Yakuza combat. However, just because Yakuza Like A Dragon changed its combat system doesn't automatically mean it's the death of brawlers as a genre.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I made a claim, not a contractual agreement. We get it, you don't like the new Yakuza combat. However, just because Yakuza Like A Dragon changed its combat system doesn't automatically mean it's the death of brawlers as a genre.

You could just do another human being a favor and point out these games which you claim are so readily apparent. Him liking the old combat system doesn't make him your blood enemy or something.

Oct 27, 2017
So let me get this straight, a genre that doesn't have any more games coming out any more, isn't a dead genre?

Sigh. I am done. Believe what you want and I will believe what I want.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere

If i post a bunch of bullshit statistics and someone asks me for the data and i direct them to google I'm wrong in that situation.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I thought about getting Yakuza 7 but I hadn't played one since the original on Ps2 so decided to pick up Zero instead. I love the game but the constant random battles on the street is getting annoying. At least the battles can be dealt with very quickly but if it was turn based and still happening at this rate I would image it would be infuriating.

Ehh, not really, combat, even while turn based is pretty dang quick imo.

senbon

Oct 27, 2017
That's a bold move.

I'm loving the change(s) so far, it's such a breath of fresh air to the series. My biggest fear going into the game was whether or not it would feel sluggish, or otherwise slow. Thankfully, it feels really snappy and nice.
To be honest, one of my favourite aspect of the change is the focus on a party (+ party interactions) vs. just Kiryu, Akiyama etc. (the bar also help facilitate this).
I hope they continue with these ideas going forward.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
It's unfortunate that every discussion about the brawling combat in Yakuza inevitably devolves into people telling those who liked the old combat system that it, in fact, was actually shit, and that we should totally enjoy the new combat, because the series wasn't just about the brawling.
Exactly, this is what frustrates me the most in these Yakuza combat threads. Everyone has their own likes and tastes, not everyone enjoyed the brawler combat of the old games which is fine, but people coming at those brawler fans to tell them their enjoyment/fun was somehow invalid is some bullshit.

And while I'm not a turn based fan by any means, I also don't agree with those statements thrown around that turn based games belong in the 90s. These threads end up devolving in people trashing each others tastes and it's tiresome.

SauceTakoyaki

Jun 24, 2019
I'm happy they went with the genre switch. I've played through a few of the Yakuzas and was starting to burn out on the the brawler combat. It pushes the supporting cast to be more involved in the game. It would of been fun to see Kiryu, Majima, Akiyama tag moves in game and interactions in Kamurocho

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
You could just do another human being a favor and point out these games which you claim are so readily apparent. Him liking the old combat system doesn't make him your blood enemy or something.

So let me get this straight, a genre that doesn't have any more games coming out any more, isn't a dead genre?

Sigh. I am done. Believe what you want and I will believe what I want.

If i post a bunch of bullshit statistics and someone asks me for the data and i direct them to google I'm wrong in that situation.

Like I said earlier, I'm under no obligation to find these 3D brawlers, but now I apparently have a target on my head because I ruffled some feathers with my "baseless claim", here's a ResetEra thread I found... by using the power of Google and typing "Modern 3D brawlers".

www.resetera.com

Best Modern Beat 'Em Up?

The Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle has got me wondering what the modern scene looks like. I confess I haven't paid any attention to this genre in a long while. Are there modern exemplars of the genre I should check out?

If that still doesn't have what you're looking for, you're on your own from here on out.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
They said action combat would come back if Yakuza 7 was badly received, which wasn't the case at all.

I think we'll have a healthy mix of action and turn based. My dream is a Yakuza 0 style dual character game where onecharacter is action and the other turn based
That reminds me of Shadow of Rome. Sad I never got far because I hated Octavius' stealth portions.

Oct 27, 2017
Like I said earlier, I'm under no obligation to find these 3D brawlers, but now I apparently have a target on my head because I ruffled some feathers with my "baseless claim", here's a ResetEra thread I found... by using the power of Google and typing "Modern 3D brawlers".

www.resetera.com

Best Modern Beat 'Em Up?

The Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle has got me wondering what the modern scene looks like. I confess I haven't paid any attention to this genre in a long while. Are there modern exemplars of the genre I should check out?

If that still doesn't have what you're looking for, you're on your own from here on out.
Just looked at the thread cause I am curious and I notice a lack of 3d brawlers other than Yakuza.

Take from that what you will.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest thing that I hate about this change in the combat style is how we now have this revisionist history that the combat in Yakuza games was always bad and no one liked it.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Honestly wild, the combat seems really thoughtful. At first I preferred the style of the April Fools video where the people don't move around, but I'm enjoying the strategy around positioning.

Seems that this was pretty well received, so I expect they'll keep it up for the next mainline entry into the series. With the recent popularity of the series though I expect we'll see some more spinoffs with traditional brawler combat.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sad for fans of the action combat. Personally, I think it was serviceable but overused with tons of boring filler fights (not sure if Yakuza 7 suffers from this).

That said, it's clear the Yakuza team hit a wall in terms of evolving the brawler combat. I'd rather they try a new direction rather than reiterating on the same fundamental system another umpteen times.

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest thing that I hate about this change in the combat style is how we now have this revisionist history that the combat in Yakuza games was always bad and no one liked it.
Agreed.

Combat was the reason I fell in love with the series. One of the best parts of the series for me is the long battles. They are pure brawler action that feel amazing and hype.
B b but the quiet man
Oh yeah. That game haha

I guess we are technically wrong.

How did we go from Dynamite Deka, Urban Reigns, Fighting Force and more to nothing?

Last edited:

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
Not a big fan of RPG games and love the Yakuza games and this amazes me because there's a lot more variety, complexity and interesting ways to approach combat compared to the other Yakuza titles.

I mean it's not like the Yakuza combat was deep.

Glad they did because it really feels like you're play 4 protagonists at once, works with Ichibans character, and I don't know how they would've done stuff like job classes, etc.

If this was last minute then they should be making RPGs because this doesn't feel like a rushed effort.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
I will add that moments where it would feel great though to manually punch a boss into oblivion

J75

Sep 29, 2018
How did we go from Dynamite Deka, Urban Reigns, Fighting Force and probably more to nothing?
Yeah. 6th gen alone had games like The Bouncer, Final Fight: Streetwise, Urban Reign, SpikeOut, Beat Down: Fists of Vengeance, and more.

Those were the days. Not every game was a masterpiece, but we had options unlike today.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. 6th gen alone had games like The Bouncer, Final Fight: Streetwise, Urban Reign, SpikeOut, Beat Down: Fists of Vengeance, and more.

Those were the days. Not every game was a masterpiece, but we had options unlike today.
Yeah

Heck even other genres like arcade racers or extreme sport or even GTA clones barely exist these days.

I hate this timeline.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Was it? It wasn't awful but "so good" is certainly not how I'd describe it, rather I'd say "a step back from the original PS2 game in every way aside from graphics". That sums it up to me way better. So much was cut back, cut out, or downgraded in the remake - some moves are completely cut (still...) and some are nerfed to the point that they are completely useless (Tiger Drop). Heat moves are completely overpowered to the point where using them ruins fights because they end far too quick, which leads into the issue of how the game difficulty (on hard mode especially) is just so low that it negatively impacts the fun I have with the game - dudes like Hayashi, Shindo and the penultimate boss are all over in the blink of an eye. Certain weapon pickups (pliers, needle etc.) go from things you find scattered around the streets leading to some fun and dynamic battles to stuff that you have to purchase elsewhere, equip, then repair once they break which just kills the flow of the game.

Judge Eyes does a vastly better job in every respect when it comes to the combat - half because it adds in a bunch of new moves (while adding back some old ones to boot) while also fixing stuff like the Tiger Drop, and half because its a brand new game not tied down by an objectively superior, older version of the game. The RPG combat certainly has some issues (especially with the bosses, so much with the bosses...) but Kiwami 2 is probably the worst comparison I could pick, as that itself has so many combat issues on its own!

yeah the dragon engine was a mess. I have no idea why they made that thing and then decided the first game for it would be the finale of Kiryu's story. You could tell just how much they struggled with the engine and how it just seemed to be a physics tech demo. It just made the entire final chapter of Kiryu's chapter flaccid because they just couldn't add everyone they wanted. the old engine should have been used for that game one last time

for yakuza kiwami 2, I felt like the engine was not the worst problem tbh. it was improved from 6 but it was more of the weird changes they added like switching voice actors for major characters, replacing at ton of the soundtrack, removing an entire area for another Majima story to cash in on his recent popularity.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
They said action combat would come back if Yakuza 7 was badly received, which wasn't the case at all.

I think we'll have a healthy mix of action and turn based. My dream is a Yakuza 0 style dual character game where onecharacter is action and the other turn based
Please. I can't get into the prior Yakuza games with the combat they have. Like A Dragon is my game of the damn generation, it's fantastic.
I wouldn't really call it revisionist. I played through Yakuza 0 when it came out on PC and had to drag myself through it. I just never had a reason to really mention that until now. I'd imagine I'm not the only one who didn't like the brawler combat but just decided the series wasn't for me rather than vocalizing it.
I won't say the combat's bad, I can definitely see that there's something there that appeals to other people, but I do fail to see what that exactly is.

Last edited:

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't really call it revisionist. I played through Yakuza 0 when it came out on PC and had to drag myself through it. I just never had a reason to really mention that until now. I'd imagine I'm not the only one who didn't like the brawler combat but just decided the series wasn't for me rather than vocalizing it.
I won't say the combat's bad, I can definitely see that there's something there that appeals to other people, but I do fail to see what that exactly is.
People have their preferences and that's fine. But to say that nothing of value was lost and act like the combat in Yakuza games was universally considered bad (like some people are doing in this thread, and others have been doing since the reveal of turn based style combat for Y7) is absolutely revisionist history.

Some people didn't like the action combat, that's for sure. But there are a lot of people who liked that brawler style and there is no reason for people who like the change to turn based combat to pretend that wasn't the case.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Heck even other genres like arcade racers or extreme sport or even GTA clones barely exist these days.

I hate this timeline.

Yup, and the thing that really sucks is that there really isn't anything confirmed on the radar with regard to upcoming 3D brawler games. I'll believe in a Judgment sequel when I see it, and I have zero faith at this point that it wont also be a turn-based combat game now, if it even exists.

Oct 27, 2017
Although I'm enjoying the change, the discourse around Yakuza 7 definitely reminds of the DmC vs. DMC arguments from nearly a decade ago. DmC stans acting like the old series was outdated/never cool in the first place/etc. It's okay to be excited for or enjoy the new stuff but there's no reason to disparage the old stuff to that degree.