• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes. I still buy physical copies for certain games (recent examples being RE8 and Mass Effect Legendary Edition).

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
Nope, haven't tried it. In the DF breakdown of the Series X, they mention how one of the dimensions is decided by the size of the disc drive.. I would have taken a smaller console without the disc drive and a 25$ price cut.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, but only for backward compatibility. I still have 0 physical X game (and only 3 on PS5).

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I have a series s and pretty much daily miss the disc drive, it's one of the main reasons I will upgrade for a series x down the line. There are some backwards compatibility games that are disc only but more importantly is the fact that a lot of xbox, xbox 360 and xbox one games in my country can be gotten far cheaper preowned than ps4 versions can be and way cheaper than digital versions on xbox often are. When I got my one x last year I grabbed some used disc games on ebay and the like, got modern warfare 2019 for £8, got red dead 2 and gta 5 for £16 combined. The true limiting factor for me going all digital as I actually prefer digital is the fact that publishers just don't lower their prices often to the levels you can buy discs at. Hell I wanted to grab a digital copy of black ops 4 for my series s as my copy was on disc and I refuse to pay even £15 for a cod that old now just because Activision refuses to actually lower prices, ended up just getting the ps plus version on ps4 instead and playing there.

Ceileachair

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used once to watch Red Heat a few months ago but that was a DVD. I have yet to put an actual game disc in though.

Kydd BlaZe

Apr 17, 2018
Yep. Pretty much only when I rent games from GameFly though.

Edit: Wow, after reading through more of this thread, I'm surprised more people don't use the disk drive for game rentals. Not every game is on Game Pass, and not every game is worth $60-$70. Same with the PS5. I would've been upset paying $70 for Returnal, but for me the game was the perfect rental.

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Pretty much only when I rent games from GameFly though.

Edit: Wow, after reading through more of this thread, I'm surprised more people don't use the disk drive for game rentals. Not every game is on Game Pass, and not every game is worth $60-$70. Same with the PS5. I would've been upset paying $70 for Returnal, but for me the game was the perfect rental.
Those services aren't really a thing in many places outside the US. Sure aren't in Canada at least

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I have a huge box of 360 games so I use it for those.

Dyna

Nov 1, 2017
Finland
Yes, I still prefer physical games even with the Game Pass library etc. and I watch blu-rays on it. Too bad that the disc drive makes a lot of noise if there's an Ultra HD blu-ray inside, way more than the Xbox One S ever did. Sucks.

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not yet, but I have a ton of BC Xbox/x360 games I could use it with if I get that itch. I'd rather have it than not.

Falcon16

Oct 25, 2017
I have used it to play a UHD and Blu-ray disc. It has some problems with that. The UHD goes black after a while or loses sound. Hoping that's fixed.

Chippewa Barr