• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any review saying it's better than those?
I just saw techradar review and they say they are equal.

I was looking for something more middle of the road. I already have hyper X cloud which may be even better than these regarding to sound quality

i have read multiple today that have said it sounds noticeably better than Pulse.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Thank you for sharing. Good to hear you rank them along the arctis 7 which seem to be the current budget / reasonable standard. I thought warzone also supports Atmos?

I play a ton of gears and cod. I find with my current wired headphones on Xbox that I get good left right placement on enemies with the Atmos app on. There isn't too much verticality in gears multiplayer so that's less important.

Regarding warzone did you test with Atmos on? I can tell when lootboxes are above me or to the side with my current setup so I don't want a downgrade in that regard. Could you not tell the verticality using the XWH?

Tested on Windows 10 without Atmos enabled, which explains why I missed it. Welp. I was still trying to show how a non-optimized audio experience would work with different headphones.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

I was looking for something more middle of the road. I already have hyper X cloud which may be even better than these regarding to sound quality

Couldn't tell you which reviews they were specifically, but I know at least two of them took some swipes at the Pulse headset and said these were markedly better.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017

I haven't tested the MS headset yet (picking it up tomorrow), but the SteelSeries 7x should similar in audio quality to the Hyper X Cloud while being wireless (and compatible with all platforms). The Audeze Penrose X is another option, but is more expensive and has issues with comfort for some.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
Tested on Windows 10 without Atmos enabled, which explains why I missed it. Welp. I was still trying to show how a non-optimized audio experience would work with different headphones.
Thanks and yeah I understood what you was comparing between those two games. It doesn't sound like the separation is great which is a shame with the big push both console manufacturers have made for virtual surround on headphones. Having said that XWH might be a decent compromise for me to simply to cut the cord.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I just got my SX a couple weeks ago. Sat night was the first time I tried plugging my headphones into the controller to get the game audio that way and it sounded awful. I will try to buy these as soon as I can find them to see if they're better.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
So this is only available on the US and EU? Couldn't find anything about LATAM...I would like to get one...

Deleted member 85465

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2020
The arc technica review mentions that the razer kaira pro are better, anyone has impressions about that headset?

Oct 29, 2017
Is there a comprehensive list of games which support Spatial Sound API on Windows?

And possibly games that are supported but not on the OS level (CS:GO, Squad).

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I might consider getting these for my XSS and PC

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Any impressions on the monitoring? Can you adjust the volume of your own voice well? It's always very irritatating to me when I can only hear myself muffled.

Edit: also, how does the mic choose which channel to use if I'm connected via Xbox and my phone?

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Any impressions on the monitoring? Can you adjust the volume of your own voice well? It's always very irritatating to me when I can only hear myself muffled.

Edit: also, how does the mic choose which channel to use if I'm connected via Xbox and my phone?

You can adjust the mic monitoring level in the app.

It outputs to both.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I know it's a harsh criticism for an official Xbox headset but I really wish it worked with PS5. I can't justify having a set per console, even if these are tempting to me.

I'm so angry with how Astro mixamps and headsets perform with next-gen machines.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only SBC as the bluetooth codec. No APTX LL. That's dumb.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's a harsh criticism for an official Xbox headset but I really wish it worked with PS5. I can't justify having a set per console, even if these are tempting to me.

I'm so angry with how Astro mixamps and headsets perform with next-gen machines.
yep theres no good 3rd party headsets right now if you want full functionality. I'm surprised we still haven't seen current gen refreshes yet but i guess with partial forward compatibility, they're dragging their feet

I have the arctis pros and they dont fully work on the ps5 either

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Not compatible with other consoles / no 3.5mm jack is a deal breaker for me. I can't have one headset per device, that's insane.

I literally pre-ordered this when it was announced, and though I knew it wasn't likely to be compatible with other systems, it took me til earlier today to go, "What are you doing?" and cancel my pre-order.

It seems great for its price, but I do plan to get a PS5 eventually, and I can't justify having a headset I'll inevitably have to replace anyway. Still, I'll miss some of the features here.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Question: apart for the wireless thing, is it different from the current wired headphones?

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
If it holds up and you don't consider yourself an audiophile, then its a steal.

Personally, I've always struggled with having wireless headsets crap out on me within a year.

I do own two over-ear headphones, wouldn't consider myself an audiophile but I'm curious about the benefits in terms of spatial audio that come from a gaming headset. Seems like this might offer a good experience.

If anyone knows of any reviewers that really centre on the spatial in game audio performance I'd be interested to see/read their thoughts.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I do own two over-ear headphones, wouldn't consider myself an audiophile but I'm curious about the benefits in terms of spatial audio that come from a gaming headset. Seems like this might offer a good experience.

If anyone knows of any reviewers that really centre on the spatial in game audio performance I'd be interested to see/read their thoughts.
Spatial audio only requires stereo headphones, nothing else. Its been around on the Xbox platform for many years now in the form of Dolby Atmos and a little more recently; DTS:X. If you google for some reviews there's some from 2017 in regards to Atmos on Xbox and the Atmos/DTS:X app for Xbox have free trails so you can try them with whatever headphones you like.
Because it's not a new feature for Xbox (unlike the PS5 where it is a new thing) there won't be much focus on it.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019

This one doesn't do location-based audio (i.e., the directionality of the audio won't change when you turn your head). And all the other stuff is done on the console via software, so you'll get that experience by plugging in your own headphones.

(Unless I'm not understanding what you're talking about.)

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Spatial audio only requires stereo headphones, nothing else. Its been around on the Xbox platform for many years now in the form of Dolby Atmos and a little more recently; DTS:X. If you google for some reviews there's some from 2017 in regards to Atmos on Xbox and the Atmos/DTS:X app for Xbox have free trails so you can try them with whatever headphones you like.
Because it's not a new feature for Xbox (unlike the PS5 where it is a new thing) there won't be much focus on it.
This one doesn't do location-based audio (i.e., the directionality of the audio won't change when you turn your head). And all the other stuff is done on the console via software, so you'll get that experience by plugging in your own headphones.

(Unless I'm not understanding what you're talking about.)

I see, so just to clarify, these aren't really going to perform better in any way for gaming than the pair of Bose headphones I've already got?

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I see, so just to clarify, these aren't really going to perform better in any way for gaming than the pair of Bose headphones I've already got?
Not really. I don't know what headphone model you have but I'm going to assume they are wired and don't have a built-in mic?

There will be some advantages using a headset like this in regards to: Mic monitoring built-in, able to adjust volume and chat/game sound balance & mute on the headset itself, being fully wireless and auto-mute of the mic when you're not talking.

I would expect your Bose headphones to have better audio quality so unless you want some of the convenience features I'd stick with what you have.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
These will be much worse!
Not really. I don't know what headphone model you have but I'm going to assume they are wired and don't have a built-in mic?

There will be some advantages using a headset like this in regards to: Mic monitoring built-in, able to adjust volume and chat/game sound balance & mute on the headset itself, being fully wireless and auto-mute of the mic when you're not talking.

I would expect your Bose headphones to have better audio quality so unless you want some of the convenience features I'd stick with what you have.

Thanks for the heads up

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
yep theres no good 3rd party headsets right now if you want full functionality. I'm surprised we still haven't seen current gen refreshes yet but i guess with partial forward compatibility, they're dragging their feet

I have the arctis pros and they dont fully work on the ps5 either
The Arctis 7x works pretty well on both Xbox and PS (and Switch, PC). Audeze Penrose X is another option but a little more expensive.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
The Arctis 7x works pretty well on both Xbox and PS (and Switch, PC). Audeze Penrose X is another option but a little more expensive.
is there chat mix on the ps5 with the arctis 7p on the headset itself? My Arctis pro's dial doesnt work with ps5, it did with ps4.

Last edited:

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
is there chat mix on the ps5 with the arctis 7x on the headset itself? My Arctis pro's dial doesnt work with ps5, it did with ps4.
No, that doesn't work. Sony does not allow any third-party headsets to control the chat mix natively, which is a disappointing, but I don't see it changing.

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
I was considering these til I found out they don't work with other consoles, Quick question regarding the Xbox series x, does the controller still have the 3.5 Jack? I have a pair of hd598s and I think I'd rather just plug them to the controller

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I was considering these til I found out they don't work with other consoles, Quick question regarding the Xbox series x, does the controller still have the 3.5 Jack? I have a pair of hd598s and I think I'd rather just plug them to the controller
yes. feature wise it's exactly the same as the one x controller.

I currently use a pair or Arctis 3 Bluetooth via the 3.5mm jack

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love my Arctis 7x and haven't had any issues with it, plus it works with everything. This looks nice for the price but not interested in one headphone for each system

Gdourado

Oct 1, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I currently have a pair of Fidelio X1 I use with my series X.
They are great headphones and when I used them amped to listen to music they are superb.
On the Xbox, they sound good, but I find the amplification provided by the controller jack a bit lacking.
Since the series X doesn't have an optical out port, using something like a Soundblaster G6 to power the headphones is a no go.
But anyway, How would these compare?

what would deliver better sound? The X1 powered by the controller, or the Xbox Wireless Headset powered by their own built in amplification?

Velikost

Oct 28, 2017
I currently have a pair of Fidelio X1 I use with my series X.
They are great headphones and when I used them amped to listen to music they are superb.
On the Xbox, they sound good, but I find the amplification provided by the controller jack a bit lacking.
Since the series X doesn't have an optical out port, using something like a Soundblaster G6 to power the headphones is a no go.
But anyway, How would these compare?

what would deliver better sound? The X1 powered by the controller, or the Xbox Wireless Headset powered by their own built in amplification?

Even accounting for the lackluster 3.5mm controller port, your X1's