• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2019
Yeah but its also an Nvidia GPU. Nvidia FLOPS != AMD FLOPS.
Nvidia has much better silicon and better made chips or something..

The XT 5700 has 9.75TF and the 2070 Super has ~9.1. The performance delta is about 5-10% in favor of the 2070 Super (while the 5700XT is 25% cheaper). So yeah Nvidia is slightly better with their TF number but they are much much closer than they were with GCN or Vega. RDNA2 should be even closer to that. So I think it's fair to say that it is not much better but slightly.

However, I still believe that Nvidias 30XX cards will be amazing and I doubt AMD will match them very well with RNDA2 (I hope though).

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta love the shots fired at Sony's silence and lack of communication with the fan base.

"At Xbox we value being open and transparent with you"

The announcement in it's entirety hasn't had an impact on social media whatsoever. I keep thinking this official spec announcement is going to trend or something but so far, zip.

And that's quite telling about the wider and much broader circumstances.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
AMD Terraflops are not comparable to Nvidia Terraflops and they never have been. I thought this was common knowledge by now.
The diff nowadays is 10-15%

2080 has 10.07 tflops.

To have equivalent on amd you will need 11-11.5 tflops on rdna1

We are talking about rdna2 and 12 tflops so is superior to a 2080 and inferior to a 2080s

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if these are actual 12 TF. If they are, they shouldn't advertise this as twice as powerful than X1X. Teraflops don't scale 1:1, its not like horsepower. An RDNA flop is more efficient than a Polaris flop. Digital Foundry made a video about this.
Maybe the GPU is only as powerful as a Polaris with 12 TF would be.

Oh good, this argument again.

Jun 23, 2019
Agreed. This "MS can out-loss Sony" narrative is just consolewar BS at this point

Yeah, it's really ridiculous. Everyone are losing their minds today saying PS5 won't be as strong because they don't have the money, or making silly assumptions like MS knows they have the stronger console because they came out and said it out of nowhere, etc. It's pretty laughable.

Gotta love the shots fired at Sony's silence and lack of communication with the fan base.

"At Xbox we value being open and transparent with you"

Lol Sony dropped a logo and crashed the internet and social media. They'll be fine.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
The XT 5700 has 9.75TF and the 2070 Super has ~9.1. The performance delta is about 5-10% in favor of the 2070 Super (while the 5700XT is 25% cheaper). So yeah Nvidia is slightly better with their TF number but they are much much closer than they were with GCN or Vega. RDNA2 should be even closer to that. So I think it's fair to say that it is not much better but slightly.

However, I still believe that Nvidias 30XX cards will be amazing and I doubt AMD will match them very well with RNDA2 (I hope though).
I see because you see the thing is.. in the past when GPU reviews came, the numbers between AMD and NVidia GPUs would be close but when it came to game performance Nvidia GPUs for some reason would have much bigger of a performance boost than what we would think it should have had considering the close specs. So i was saying what i was saying due to this.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Time for MS to reach into it's deep pockets and launch this at 400$ to put the pressure on Sony.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You do realize that Sony just made the most amount of money ever in the history of their company not too long ago right? This MS warchest that you all keep bringing up is not real and Sony is in just as capable of a spot to loss lead as MS is.
So you're saying no warchest exists but it does for Sony?

that matters not. Nintendo made a monster load of cash with Wii, look what happened with Wii U

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
599 US dollars
Confirmed beast. RE: price, Phil was saying he didn't want to be outmatched on price or power this time, so if Sony announces $499, I'm feeling like the XSX will be $499 as well.
I think he said out of place in power and price meaning you won't pay more for a weaker machine like you did with the Xbox One at launch but you might pay more for a more powerful machine or less for a less powerful one

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
The comments on BC games being improved on Series X has me interested and I agree the wording seems more like "enhanced" versus just hitting the high points of dynamic res etc.

NeoKnight

Oct 28, 2017
Man, if this is $499 (the dream lowest cost for this), if would be amazing based on the specs and power of this device. Even if PS5 is $399 and both Sony and MS decide to take loses on console sales, I think a Series X $499 and PS5 $399 are great competition. Also, MS could just release a lower version lockheart Series next year, sell it for $299, and undercut Sony by 2021 holiday. Competition is great. I am def leaning on getting a Series X day one. Give me the most power to play my third party games, that plus Game Pass is a no brainer.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
It's nice to have some of the specs, it's coming in less than 10 months now, that's a good time to plan funding with a guesstimate at between $599 and $699.

Would be nice to also get to know if we can have a fully offline XSX, but that info will come at E3 i guess.

Kliemie

Oct 26, 2017
ERjS5GcX0AIxANF

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
599 US dollars

I think he said out of place in power and price meaning you won't pay more for a weaker machine like you did with the Xbox One at launch but you might pay more for a more powerful machine or less for a less powerful one
He might also mean Anaconda will ensure they have the most powerful console, and Lockhart will ensure they also have the cheapest console =/

Jan 21, 2019
I see because you see the thing is.. in the past when GPU reviews came, the numbers between AMD and NVidia GPUs would be close but when it came to game performance Nvidia GPUs for some reason would have much bigger of a performance boost than what we would think it should have had considering the close specs. So i was saying what i was saying due to this.

Yeah that's true but with RDNA things have changed.

This is the elephant in the room for AMD. They got close to competing with Nvidia... which is still at 16nm.

The 2070Super is 12NM.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I'm wondering if these are actual 12 TF. If they are, they shouldn't advertise this as twice as powerful than X1X. Teraflops don't scale 1:1, its not like horsepower. An RDNA flop is more efficient than a Polaris flop. Digital Foundry made a video about this.
Hmm, yeah, I'm not sure if 12 TF is actually 12 TF.

I mean they should have said upfront that it's 12 TF, right?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
The announcement in it's entirety hasn't had an impact on social media whatsoever. I keep thinking this official spec announcement is going to trend or something but so far, zip.

And that's quite telling about the wider and much broader circumstances.
I just popped over to twitter and it's definitely trending.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is going all out. Backward compatible for all Xbox systems with good improvement. I can't wait for Xbox one enhanced game for série x (c)
Can't wait for sont but this system (série x ) will be amazing

My old 65c6 is 3 years old but lll buy a new oled for this new gen. With hdmi 2.1 120fps something something

The current one X is a 2017 (?) system and still feels extremely powerful

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
This will be 499.

Microsoft is going for the jugular with this.

Any "loss" on hardware is minimal long term in comparison to the loss they experienced with the tarnished xbox brand with the "one".

Why talk about the series X so early ? Hype....then it starts to settle again and they drop the specs....Hype. E3 will be next with some amazing games and the final bombshell is the price at 499.

They wouldn't generate all this momentum to just shut it down with 599 pricepoint ( it's still worth it at this price, but a MUCH harder sell )

If anything this system should be looked at as a love letter/sacrificial lamb in order to make good on the past mistakes and get marketshare via brute force right off the bat.

The payout will be long term for them, but this is the only way. They are already in a corner from the success of PS4 and they needed to shake things up.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

numberwang-gif.gif

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I'm team $599

they don't need people to buy this right away with their ecosystem and cross gen support strategy. Then come a year later they can drop the price $100 while also delivering that lower spec machine for like $399 or even $299 allowing folks to flood into next gen at a respectable pace and strategy.

Microsoft isn't in the selling hardware business numbers at this point. They want to locked into the ecosystem and they can easily do that with removing the original xbox one and making the X the current baseline for a year at amazing discounts

Deleted member 25042

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

The difference in TF is even smaller if you look at real world clocks.
A 2070S with an average core clock of 1.9GHz (pretty common) is 9.7TF
A 5700 XT with an average clock of 1.85GHz is 9.5TF (the better cards would be closer to 10TF while the reference model would be in the low 9.x TF)

Status
Not open for further replies.