• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
I think entry level or companion device is exactly the segment Microsoft is aiming for with it. It'll be the most accessible way to get into gamepass in the future when Xbox one is phased out.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Maybe some people don't realize they can get "game pass for pc" and save money for upgrading their pc instead?
There's also a cheap 1 month trial.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Amazing console. I only have a 1080p TV so the Series X just wasn't worth it right now but I'm incredibly satisfied with it.

Incredibly small and good looking.
Next gen gaming for $299.
Game Pass.
Retroarch.
BC with Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One games with improvements.
Games look amazing.
Quick resume.
Crazy fast load times.
Absolutely quiet.

The fact that I can play my PS1 and PS2 disc rips and my digital BC Xbox games is just amazing. I need to get one of those things that allow you to rip carts so I can have my entire gaming collection from NES to today on one box.

My ONE complaint is the lack of ray tracing in games. I know a lot of it is developer tools are still a tad rough but still. Control, a last gen game only being 900p with no RT is disappointing. I'm hoping that MS's first party studios really let they system shine.

How hard is it to get Retroarch and PS1/2 emulation on the system?

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love ours. Got one for my daughter for her good grades.

It's also a great value for the amount of time they use it. Storage is an issue though, and my parents bought her the extra seagate storage for Xmas which means I prob should have just gotten the X, but whatever. We love it, and I love how compact it is to fit in my setup.

Plus my current TV only does 120FPS @1440P anyways.

We basically just use it as a Gamepass machine. Basically been playing Jedi, Rogue Squadron, Spirit Faire, Tetris Effect, and Destiny 2. Hell my daughter beat Tetris in a week, and it was worth it just for that.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
While I have an X I did snag a S for my 14 year old son. He LOVES it.. I did buy an external HDD for all his Xbox One Games to play off so the internal is not filled with games that can run off an external. I am blown away when I watch him play just how good it looks and how fast it runs, seems just as fast as my Series X. If he ever wants to play some of his disc games he can play on my system.

I can not express how crazy it was to open the box and see just how small this thing is..... If they could have put a 1tb drive in it .. they would prob own the next gen market (if they could make enough of them). Pair this with gamepass and it is one heck of a deal..

How cool running is this thing? Would it suffer being put inside a closed media unit?

That big black vent on the top is VERY important.. it needs to be wide open and it will get warm.

Jun 8, 2018
I like it a lot. More than I thought I would initially. The BC of 360 games issue is a bummer tho. And, from aesthetics standpoint, it's very cute to look at

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Would it be ok seated flat on a carpet do you think? Big fan pointing upwards. Basically, my media unit isn't exactly the best at storing consoles, but I'd put it on the floor behind it. The white would blend in nicely.

Is there space where it could stand up behind or next to the TV?

The console is honestly so small, it would probably be fine that way, and it would get enough airflow that way as it would be vertical and outside the TV unit

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still stunned by how small it is, and yet how effective it is. I have a Series S on a 1080p TV in our bedroom, and honestly like I don't really notice much or any of a difference on most of the games that I play, compared to the 4K TV and the Series X on our living room TV.

The hard drive size is small and limiting, but I've got about 5 games installed to it and it's kinda the "Secondary console" and so I'm okay with that having a smaller catalogue than the main Xbox (which is 1TB and I have a 3TB external drive, non-SSD for that one). In the future I'll probably get one of those NVME external memory cards and swap between the two systems, so like have games installed to the "main" Series X, games installed to the Series S, and then have a handful of games installed exclusively on that external drive and swap it depending on what I'll be playing on (I frequently get booted out of the living room for ... The Real Housewives of Orange County / Utah / etc, or pre-pandemic, when my wife would have friends over)

I still can't get over how small it is.

bonch00ski

Oct 25, 2017
I initially had one, returned for a Series X. Now I'm probably gonna sell my PS5 and buy a Series S for my work room instead.

loved the look, and it performed admirably

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
I think the true market potential of the Series S will show itself once the consoles start to get price reductions.

If they want to keep the ~$200 gap with the Series X, then we might see a $150 Series S at some point.

Tim-E

Oct 31, 2017
I love it. I got the storage card as a Christmas gift and haven't had any problems with my experience so far.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
It's great.

A small form console that I barely notice for my room, I really dig it.

Big plus is that I can barely hear it. I'm replaying the original port of Demon's Souls on PS3 and I forgot how much that thing sounds like a jet engine lol.

Sosukae

Oct 25, 2017
Series S has been great as the second console to the Series X. Need to invest in an official storage drive if they eventually add other choices. But all in all everything plays great on my 1080p monitor.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe some people don't realize they can get "game pass for pc" and save money for upgrading their pc instead?

Saving $300 especially with the GPU shortages and the price increase between Ryzen 2 and Ryzen 3 doesn't get you as much as it would've. Plus for some, having just the box and controller to worry about is easier and/or more convenient than having the whole PC to worry about, in terms of replacements, etc.

PC can be a good option, and a good option in the long term too, but right now it's not especially in terms of value for money or simplicity (ie, trying to find the parts to build a system).

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I own an X but have recently been playing a lot on my 1080p screen instead and part of me wonders if I made the wrong choice because games still look pretty darn good and sharp

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I was worried about this too, but you could argue the main consoles are doing badly as well, since they're doing dynamic 4K and not native 4k a lot of the time, so that either means later gen games will be 1080 on PS5/X or they've not got to grips with making games for the new systems yet, or that maybe just cross gen games are not a great indication of what is to come
2 and 3, always. Developers' games become better-performing the longer they're able to get a handle on the system's specs and better understand them, not worse.

Dec 5, 2017
I bought a Series X, sold my one x for 300, and bought a series s as well.

I do a lot of travel so I'm looking forward to it being my travel box.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
Regardless of resolution or performance, the Series S is the console for those who just want to play games. There is nothing wrong with that. I want one to have in a spare bedroom or travel. I have played on it and it is really cool how small it is.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I love it. I've recently decided not to get a PS5 but rather save up for a PC but I'm still really pleased with it. The controller is probably the best I've ever used, GamePass/Games with Gold is excellent, I'm back to achievement hunting, and it's been fun revisiting so many 7th gen titles.

Nov 2, 2019
How hard is it to get Retroarch and PS1/2 emulation on the system?

I don't know how they do it now, there should be a thread here somewhere about it. I've tried installing Retroarch on my PC and a Raspberry Pi and I've always quit because it was too hard. Some people have said it's taken them 20 minutes to set it up on a Series S. I think now you need to buy Retroarch now along with another app on the store to access system files.

Here's the discussion page.

The $299 XBOX Series S is an Emulation Beast | MVG | ResetEra

However, I've still been tinkering over a month trying to get everything perfect but so far it's played every Sega CD and PS1 game perfectly. Some PS2, GameCube, and Wii games are normal and some are rough but it hasn't really been optimized yet.

I think one of the people working on one of the cores doesn't even own an Xbox Series S|X so I can imagine it will take time before most games are running in a playable state.

Hope this helps. It's honestly worth the hassle and this is coming from someone who used to feel like a complete idiot when dealing with anything Retroarch.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't know how they do it now, there should be a thread here somewhere about it. I've tried installing Retroarch on my PC and a Raspberry Pi and I've always quit because it was too hard. Some people have said it's taken them 20 minutes to set it up on a Series S. I think now you need to buy Retroarch now along with another app on the store to access system files.

Here's the discussion page.

The $299 XBOX Series S is an Emulation Beast | MVG | ResetEra

However, I've still been tinkering over a month trying to get everything perfect but so far it's played every Sega CD and PS1 game perfectly. Some PS2, GameCube, and Wii games are normal and some are rough but it hasn't really been optimized yet.

I think one of the people working on one of the cores doesn't even own an Xbox Series S|X so I can imagine it will take time before most games are running in a playable state.

Hope this helps. It's honestly worth the hassle and this is coming from someone who used to feel like a complete idiot when dealing with anything Retroarch.

Ah thanks

I have a Pi 3 with Retroarch which works well for NES to PS1, but it would be cool to have this on the S as well

That said, I built (lol) my Pi in 2017 and had a lot of help from this community, but I've not done anything like that since so I'd likely need help again

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I have a Series X in the living room and a Series S in the bedroom. I love my S for when I want to play stuff while in lying in bed. My bedroom TV is a 1080p set so the image quality is great.

Nov 2, 2019
Ah thanks

I have a Pi 3 with Retroarch which works well for NES to PS1, but it would be cool to have this on the S as well

That said, I built (lol) my Pi in 2017 and had a lot of help from this community, but I've not done anything like that since so I'd likely need help again

I struggled like crazy but somewhere in that thread there's a Discord that was extremely helpful with any and all questions and that helped me majorly. I have all the cores/overlays/BIOS/roms/inputs/etc all set up but right now I'm working with thumbnails and it's a pain but it's coming along. The Series X|S is probably the best console out there for retro gaming.

EDIT: The ONLY issue with the Series S is the SDD size but I got a cheap 128GB USB 3.0 drive and just toss everything on there.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely love it. Looks great on my 1080p TV (haven't tried my 1440p monitor yet), the SSD is amazing and Gamepass is a godsend.
So much in fact that I am holding off on my PS5 purchase (there is an unopened one sitting next to me which I am selling) until there is 1440p support and more games that actually interest me.

Edit: Oh yeah and coming from a PS4 Pro it is just stunning how quiet this little box is. It is completely inaudible. And it looks amazing.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I wanted to buy one, but it seems that it'll be a bit less than just "the same games in 1080p". There are multiple cutbacks on top of the resolution which have me worried for the future, so I guess I'll just pass.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Beautiful console, only reason why u returned it and went with the series x is because of the storage and the backwards compatibility doesn't seem as well implemented as I'd prefer. Otherwise, i'd totally go with that console for my bedroom

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I have a X in the main gaming room, will probably move the ps5 from the bedroom and give to the kid and replace the bedroom with a S.

I was playing it at my cousin's and I love it.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I have noticed that the people who own both the XSX and the XSS really like the XSS. People who only own the XSS really like it. Just do it.

I can play many games at 120fps 1080p on this tiny beast and that is an awesome experience. Fuck 30fps ever again. And once more developers start hitting the 1440p that this machine is capable of doing ... chef's kiss! As many PC gamers know, 1440p at 120fps (or higher) is a very good place to be when gaming.

Last edited:
OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I have noticed that the people who own both the XSX and the XSS really like the XSS. People who only own the XSS really like it. Just do it.

I can play many games at 120fps 1080p on this tiny beast and that is an awesome experience. Fuck 30fps ever again. And once more developers start hitting the 1440p that this machine is capable of doing ... chef's kiss! As many PC games know, 1440p at 120fps (or higher) is a very good place to be when gaming.

It is kind of funny that the people who seem to like it have the S or they have an S and an X and they think the S is great

The people who doubt or dislike the S don't own it or they only own the X and have no experience with the S

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
I like it, pretty compact and stylish GamePass little machine and a good companion to my main gaming machine (a PS5), very smart and cost-effective. Although I have to say I am a bit disappointed with the fact that the cuts already being made on its games make Microsoft's "like XSX but at 1080p/1440p" claims feel like blatant lies (and they should be called out about them if this keeps up). I was expecting resolutions to be sub-1440p, the games not getting the 60fps/performance mode of its big brother, but I am getting no raycasting in many games (despite the GPU having the capabilities and being one of the differentiator facts from previous gen) and sub-1080p resolutions instead.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Assuming you have the equivilant processor and RAM that can handle for Series S quality, and the controller, how much does an equivalent graphics card cost? Also will the EA gamepass be included in PC Game Pass eventually? Game selection between the two is different, and you don't have the backwards compatibility of many past console exclusives. The two are not the exact same experience even if you have the equivilant PC.

Edit: It's also not practical for a ton of people to have their PC hooked up to their larger television for the same experience a console will give you.

Last edited:

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
All this talk about about upgrading a gaming pc, as I type this on my iMac. PC gaming is not option in my Mac household.

I did have big plans to build a gaming PC last fall but I am glad I held off as I still cannot source a 3080 card. Much rarer that the fabled PS5 Digital Edition.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I would say for the casual gamer not so worried about 4K quality, it is a hell of a deal along with gamepass.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Assuming you have the equivilant processor and RAM that can handle for Series S quality, and the controller, how much does an equivalent graphics card cost? Also will the EA gamepass be included in PC Game Pass eventually? Game selection between the two is different, and you don't have the backwards compatibility of many past console exclusives. The two are not the exact same experience even if you have the equivilant PC.

Edit: It's also not practical for a ton of people to have their PC hooked up to their larger television for the same experience a console will give you.

I'm assumimg you have or think about getting a gaming desktop PC and already have a controller.

Getting a used GPU from someone who upgraded GPU can be enough for Series S quality and more. Aim for above 1060 3GB VRAM and you should be good to go (like a 1060 6GB) playing all games in 1080p 60fps hooked to a TV. (A 1660 Ti is best though.) Used GPUs can be sold later without much loss when the most bang for the bucks GPU RTX 3060 Ti 8GB is available.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I like it, pretty compact and stylish GamePass little machine and a good companion to my main gaming machine (a PS5), very smart and cost-effective. Although I have to say I am a bit disappointed with the fact that the cuts already being made on its games make Microsoft's "like XSX but at 1080p/1440p" claims feel like blatant lies (and they should be called out about them if this keeps up). I was expecting resolutions to be sub-1440p, the games not getting the 60fps/performance mode of its big brother, but I am getting no raycasting in many games (despite the GPU having the capabilities and being one of the differentiator facts from previous gen) and sub-1080p resolutions instead.

Oh really? What games don't have RT on the S that do on the X?

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I noticed is that its the third time that the console crashes in a weird way.
I always put in the "Standby mode", every time it starts with the pad connecting correctly then stop working after a few seconds. Then the console is not operable via the pad nor in wifi nor with cable. I try to power it off and on, and then the screen is all "flickering". I power off again, unplug it. Wait a few seconds, a power it on again. Everything is fine.
Also some game have crashed after trying to start them again after stand by.
Not worried at all by the hardware, looks like more something software related that sometimes doesnt load up correctly.
I hope the updates are frequent, i didn seen any (i think) until now... or are these installed without notice? Firmware update I mean.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Got a pc with a 3090 sitting at my place and bought a series s for my gfs place. I like it so far but we don't game often at her place. She is not really invested in gaming but i got her to try out lego indiana jones and she likes it. We now watch the movies for a bit, then play that part then countinue playing. I hope to get her to play the star wars games too but we shall see. We also played some co-op racing games and even tried "A way out" but the game was a bit to hard to get for here with the split screen and, 3d movement and 3d camera.

Are the any good couch co-op platformers on xbox?
Maybe some 2d ones?

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Very happy about it
Small, sooooo silent, a pleasure to play it on my 1080p TV screen, very fast and the Quick resume is lovely

A GREAT Gamepass console for me

Seventy5

Mar 14, 2020
I sold mine. I honestly wasn't playing it, the PS5 was getting all of my TV game time. I have a gaming PC and a gaming laptop and I can play State of Decay 2 and eventually 3 there. Also letting gamepass lapse in June. I just wasn't playing many games on it.