• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

You really have to wonder how long will MS take to announce it if there's more and more stuff mentioning the console.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Can't wait to find out what the price and release date of this thing is, gonna be so interesting to see how it plays out long term.

Oct 27, 2017
Phil Spencer and Jim Ryan be like
giphy.gif

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Can someone please just pull the damn trigger already?

Mario 3D Collection, Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X, PS5, Mass Effect Remaster Collection...someone fucking announce something already.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'm guessing either a shadowdrop (announcement like 10 days before its release) or a delay into 2021. Announcing a new console 2 months before your main console (that still doesn't have a price or date) is supposed to release seems like a very bad idea.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
can't they just have a 'Memorandum of understanding' and announce everything on the same day at the same thing and let the consumer decides instead of playing chickens wanting to one up each other.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
can't they just have a 'Memorandum of understanding' and announce everything on the same day at the same thing and let the consumer decides instead of playing chickens wanting to one up each other.
The thing is I doubt they have all the prices 100% set in stone yet. That's the whole thing.

If I were to guess, I'd say that the PS5 and XSX have pretty much locked prices but both companies are willing to take a small loss to undercut the competitor with the Digital Edition/Series X. That's why they're waiting.

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can they just announce it already? This is getting ridiculous. Why not?

Might be a pipe dream, but I'm willing to die on this hill. I think Microsoft are going to wait it out as long as they have to. Based on the fact that Microsoft lost like $125 per console at the launch of the Xbox 360 in order to pick up market share and that Phil Spencer stated their pricing can be agile I think they're willing to wait out Sony and then try to price the Xbox Series X at the same price as the PS5 Digital edition. People like to cite interviews where Phil said that their strategy doesn't revolve around selling a certain number of Xbox Series X consoles. They're misunderstanding what he said I think. It doesn't revolve around it because it is only a part of their strategy now with PC and XCloud. It is still a pillar of their business though. I seriously think Microsoft are going to try to be the most powerful console and show that they have a disk drive while the competition doesn't at the same price. Then they will do whatever their plan is with Series S and price that at $100-150 cheaper than the Series X.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why they say Xbox Series X | S, but not Xbox One S | X.
Good question. Late edition, going back n forth deciding if they wanna actually go thru with it? Maybe because games are supposed to target Series X and scale down to S?

Blame MS for these narratives, lol.

Because the 2nd xbox is more than just a simple harddrive removal
Exactly.

Which is why I said the other day they need to announce it so they can get their marketing, messaging in order. You cant just say here's this thing, it has wildly different specs, and dont explain what its for.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I wonder why they say Xbox Series X | S, but not Xbox One S | X.

My personal theory is that the "Xbox One S v2" we have gotten hints of is a super slim to go alongside Series S/X as the super budget option (like 360 E or PS3 super slim) and may just be branded "Xbox One" since all other models will have been discontinued.

Yes I know there was already an Xbox One. It's Microsoft.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017

Makes sense since there was supposed to be another Xbox event (?) that was supposed to take place around this time

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I'm so desperate, I need more info. The thirst is real, and the big three are playing with our feelings to see who announces the least amount of info 😭 jerks!

Sota4077

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The thing is I doubt they have all the prices 100% set in stone yet. That's the whole thing.

If I were to guess, I'd say that the PS5 and XSX have pretty much locked prices but both companies are willing to take a small loss to undercut the competitor with the Digital Edition/Series X. That's why they're waiting.

Out of desperation I would bet willing to bet Microsoft are much more willing to eat a loss given their position. I think Sony want to price at a minimal loss. Microsoft want to price to be competitive on store shelves.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Which is why I said the other day they need to announce it so they can get their marketing, messaging in order. You cant just say here's this thing, it has wildly different specs, and dont explain what its for.

My speculation is they are waiting for a game to show it off. You can't announce a weaker console and say you'll get the same thing at lower res if you don't have software to demonstrate that.

Sota4077

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The only MOU I could see happening is a mutual agreement to delay the consoles. But both companies have reiterated that they are launching this fall so I think there is no chance of that happening.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm so desperate, I need more info. The thirst is real, and the big three are playing with our feelings to see who announces the least amount of info 😭 jerks!
I mean, the console will most likely launch this year which means there is at max around three months left. They won't launch without any further notice which means it's about two months at max until they reveal it.
I know it's hard but it's not like everything is a year away.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone please just pull the damn trigger already?

Mario 3D Collection, Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X, PS5, Mass Effect Remaster Collection...someone fucking announce something already.

The industry should come together for a week and make their biggest announcements at the same time. It could be a fun party.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they're going to announce this thing until they're ready to announce the price, so that they can say the justification for making a second console with a third of the teraflops other than "it's going to be cheaper."

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I assume Sony understands that Microsoft is in a more desperate position to reveal pricing since Lockhart's only reason for existing is its pricepoint.

I don't get Microsoft's play here. They can't launch a console that hasn't been marketed or announced. They'll drive themselves off a cliff in this game of chicken as Sony safely activates jet boosters and flies off into the stratosphere.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I mean, the console will most likely launch this year which means there is at max around three months left. They won't launch without any further notice which means it's about two months at max until they reveal it.
I know it's hard but it's not like everything is a year away.

I know, I was just joking around. I don't mind waiting, and I understand that it's not because they are being "jerks to us" by not giving us info. I'm just desperate for info. During console launch/E3s/general rumor periods, I tend to get addicted to reading new info and the trifecta is hitting me now with two consoles and a rumored direct. I just want this to be over, so that I don't crave new info every two seconds.

Sota4077

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I assume Sony understands that Microsoft is in a more desperate position to reveal pricing since Lockhart's only reason for existing is its pricepoint.

I don't get Microsoft's play here. They can't launch a console that hasn't been marketed or announced. They'll drive themselves off a cliff in this game of chicken as Sony safely activates jet boosters and flies off into the stratosphere.

Microsoft are already behind. What have they got to lose? They have basically 2 options in my opinion.

#1 - They wait out Sony no matter how long it takes. In an earlier post I detailed what I think might happen even if it is a pipe dream:

Might be a pipe dream, but I'm willing to die on this hill. I think Microsoft are going to wait it out as long as they have to. Based on the fact that Microsoft lost like $125 per console at the launch of the Xbox 360 in order to pick up market share and that Phil Spencer stated their pricing can be agile I think they're willing to wait out Sony and then try to price the Xbox Series X at the same price as the PS5 Digital edition. People like to cite interviews where Phil said that their strategy doesn't revolve around selling a certain number of Xbox Series X consoles. They're misunderstanding what he said I think. It doesn't revolve around it because it is only a part of their strategy now with PC and XCloud. It is still a pillar of their business though. I seriously think Microsoft are going to try to be the most powerful console and show that they have a disk drive while the competition doesn't at the same price. Then they will do whatever their plan is with Series S and price that at $100-150 cheaper than the Series X.

#2 - They announce before Sony but put it at a "holy shit" price point where Sony have to meet them at.

If Microsoft are more expensive they are going to be in a rough spot.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Series S would have been announced at E3...

IF WE HAD ONE

Production happens regardless of PR timing. Xbox are just being super reactionary to Sony so they can get their undercut them in price moment.

Sota4077

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Series S would have been announced at E3...

IF WE HAD ONE

Production happens regardless of PR timing. Xbox are just being super reactionary to Sony so they can get their undercut them price moment.

Yup it is exactly this. It is literally the only card Microsoft have left to play before launch to get attention from people who they lost to Sony last generation. Game Pass is a hell of a deal, but it doesn't mean shit in the console space if they cannot get people to come back to their console platform. They're playing in the PC space and with xCloud on the mobile front. Their only move in consoles is to go after Sony and price is really all they have left to work with.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know, I was just joking around. I don't mind waiting, and I understand that it's not because they are being "jerks to us" by not giving us info. I'm just desperate for info. During console launch/E3s/general rumor periods, I tend to get addicted to reading new info and the trifecta is hitting me now with two consoles and a rumored direct. I just want this to be over, so that I don't crave new info every two seconds.
I feel you, really. But by now I think we mostly know about Lockhart already, the only thing left for me is price.

Sota4077

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Feels like the Series S will come out this month.

That would be a hell of an announcement. They safeharbor all their Series S consoles then announce the price of the Series X and say that Series S is shipping that day. That would be a hell of a way to create buzz. For the record I think there is a zero percent chance that happens. Haha.

Deleted member 35631

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Further proof that Microsoft meant to announce the Series S a long time ago.

My theory is that they didn't expect Sony to announce the PS5 Digital Edition. I also think that it's also the reason why Microsoft didn't announce the price earlier. My guess is that the Xbox Series X would be $499 and the Series S $399, but with the PS5 DE, the advantage in price is no longer a certainty.

A lot of people are thinking that the Xbox Series S will be $299, but if indeed it is, I think Microsoft was forced to price it as low because of the PS5 DE.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I'm assuming the S was going to be announced at whatever event got canceled due to Halo pooping the bed.