• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Any less than 12GB RAM is way too low. There's only a 4GB difference between One S and One X, and that's for 4K. MS shouldn't have to cut any more than that.
Well, according to Sony and the fans, the magical sub 2 Second RAM flush/refill from SSD should be able to make RAM count almost irrelevant! So if you shank another 2GB from XSS Then you can simply constantly lflush and reload the entire game RAM from the 4.8GB/s SSD no problem! :D

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
IF Lockhart still exist as rumored (dedicated console) I think we would've seen something about it on the github leaks and that was about 95% accurate. Due to this I think is more likely that an ARM based streaming box is going to be "Series S" to "compete" with Stadia and Amazon.

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
IF Lockhart still exist as rumored (dedicated console) I think we would've seen something about it on the github leaks and that was about 95% accurate. Due to this I think is more likely that an ARM based streaming box is more likely to be "Series S" to "compete" with Stadia and Amazon.
Streaming is only reliable for the for the foreseeable future @ 720p. Ppl wont buy a dedicated box for 720p streaming with latency, even @ $99. See Stadia.

Labinlima

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I think as long as you're subscribed or buying their games Microsoft doesn't care. PC, Series X, Lockhart, even xCloud. Microsoft wants to give choices to attract everyone.

What if PS5 is $499 and Lockhart is $249? Seems like a solid value to me.
That's pretty much true about MS. As for potential console prices I think PS5 will be cheaper than XSX. They did that mistake at PS3. And it costed them so much. Playstation sells their consoles at a loss. Because they think about 1 Plus and maybe 1 game would equal the cost of console. What Sony really gains from are games, store and PS +. That's why I don't think they would sell it higher than XSX. SIE isn't as rich as Microsoft.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
I'd add this to the OP but that would mean I had edited and null and void my entry. :D

90917288_3217603458260153_4050910173156343808_o.jpg

Thought we had some insider chatter about the this thing being flat.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a brilliant move by MS if true and will sell like hot cakes for a large portion of households that aren't setup for 4k gaming.

I just think it'll be a $399 machine.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You think the Xbox division has unfettered access to all of MS's revenue? No division within any company operates like that, especially not an underperforming division. And if MS was making money on GP, they would tell their investors.
They have access to resources far beyond other competitors though, that's the point, ie Gamepass. Also Phil is enjoying privilege no other Xbox Boss has experienced, he's a Director, answers to no-one apart from Satya. That means its he, that signs the cheques, of course it's not done blindly, but if there's a case for significant investment, he can ok it.

Jan 4, 2018
But in terms of his articles "being wrong" - they are often exposes of behind the scenes stuff that never gets confirmed or denied.
Of course. I'm not talking about those, because we have no way of verifying whether he was right or wrong. I'm talking about his leaks that directly say X thing will happen, and then X thing does or doesn't happen afterwards. As far as I know, his track record is flawless for those.

So yeah, obviously we can never be 100% sure of something happening until it does happen (plans changing, etc.). But when there's multiple people with proven track records all independently saying the same thing, we can be 99% sure. Lockhart is that 99%.

Though as I said - I'm not even asserting they HAVE changed. Just that if they haven't, the strategy here doesn't make much sense to me right now.
We'll see how it plays out. I personally think the strategy makes sense so far. If they reveal a substantially cheaper console with all the same capabilities and next gen games, just at 1080p, I think that's a big winner. In fact, I'm surprised that Sony isn't doing the same thing (as far as we know, anyway).

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
12GB is a pipe-dream, too much for a 1080p machine. Devs won't be complaining about a mere 42% ram gap, 9.5GB to 13.5GB for games if that was the case.

8GB-10GB or Bánh mì.

Jan 4, 2018
12GB is a pipe-dream, too much for a 1080p machine.
Does anyone know how much VRAM usage typically increases when you switch a game from 1080p to 4K on PC? I can't imagine it would be *that* much. As far as I know, most of VRAM is taken up by textures, which don't change when you increase your rendering resolution.

So I think a 4 GB gap should be enough, probably a bit more than enough I'd guess. It was enough for Xbox One S/Xbox One X at least. How would that change here?

8 GB would be the same as Xbox One S... Really?

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Lockhart is not an "xCloud machine", I was under that impression too and thought it would only be there temporarily until they got more Series X chips...what is actually the case is that xCloud is powered by Series X chips, so I wouldn't expect Lockhart chips to be used in xCloud (unless they say otherwise).

And yea, as Theorry said...yall expecting a lot of RAM. lololol.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
That would be a really solid machine.
SOC - ~240mm^2 (7nm+ TSMC) ~9.5 BN transistors
CPU - 3.6GHz w SMT/3.8GHz wo SMT
GPU - 18 CU (20 - 2) @ 1.8GHz (4.1TF)
RAM - 12GB GDDR6 (6x 14Gbps 16Gb chips) @196 bits/s = 336GB/s
SSD - 512GB with add on slot (2.4GB/s raw 4.8GB compressed)
BR - UHD BR
is there a particular reason the gpu couldn't be clocked at 2.2GHz?
What would be the tf count in such scenario?

While, I'm still sticking to the xsx. That machine, if priced properly it would make next generation very accessible to a lot of people.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know how much VRAM usage typically increases when you switch a game from 1080p to 4K on PC? I can't imagine it would be *that* much. As far as I know, most of VRAM is taken up by textures, which don't change when you increase your rendering resolution.

So I think a 4 GB gap should be enough, probably a bit more than enough I'd guess. It was enough for Xbox One S/Xbox One X at least. How would that change here?

8 GB would be the same as Xbox One S... Really?
Games will likely be using lower res textures on Lockhart.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, according to Sony and the fans, the magical sub 2 Second RAM flush/refill from SSD should be able to make RAM count almost irrelevant! So if you shank another 2GB from XSS Then you can simply constantly lflush and reload the entire game RAM from the 4.8GB/s SSD no problem! :D
You sure do love derailing your own thread.

OP
OP
Shogmaster

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
That would be a really solid machine.

is there a particular reason the gpu couldn't be clocked at 2.2GHz?
What would be the tf count in such scenario?

While, I'm still sticking to the xsx. That machine, if priced properly it would make next generation very accessible to a lot of people.
If you clock something that high, you have to spend more on cooling and PSU to compensate. I didn't see the need if your aim is just 4TF. 240mm^2 is already small enough for the SoC. Would smaller SoC be better? Not sure at the cost of more expensive cooling/PSU and potentially a noisier system.

BTW, 1.8GHz ain't exactly slow either. Most others are guessing more like 1.5Ghz with more CUs. I think 18 or so active right balance of size and required clock speed.

Jan 4, 2018
Most devs didn't use different sets of textures on the 1080p consoles compared to the 4K consoles in the current generation, so I don't know why that would change next generation. And lower res textures wouldn't be necessary on Series S unless the RAM amount is too low. Would be simpler for devs to use the same set of textures across both, I think.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
And if Sony gets PS5 to $399, it would put Lockhart right out of the market even at this mythical $299 price point. If you're only getting a 18% jump in power from $399 to $499, but a 250% jump in power from $299 to $399... consumers see that.
You are spectacularly underestimating how value-conscious and price sensitive the average person is. Consumers will see a $299 entry-point to next-gen COD, Battlefield, Fifa, GTA, etc. and to many that will frankly be an unbeatable proposition regardless of power differences and potential bang-for-your-buck. And then in a further 2-3 years time when it's $199, that'll be in impulse-buy range.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
CPU: Zen 2 8/16 @ 3.5GHz
GPU: RDNA2 28/24CU @ 1.4GHz = 4.3TF or 20/18CU @ 1.825MHz = 4.2TF
RAM: 8GB GDDR6 @ 336GB/s
SSD: 1TB NVMe @ 2.4GB/s
PRICE: $249~$299

Half the size of XSX.
Xbox Game Cube ( Xbox Series S ) :P

Last edited:

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting guesses about RAM here :)
I just can't see the RAM being less than what is in the Xbox One X. There needs to be an actual increase in RAM next gen, because with 8 or 10 in Lockhart, I don't see how that wouldn't hold back next gen. Only 2GB more, or at worst no increase, is not something an SSD will make up for.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Hey! Would be someone kind enough to tell me what would be the main point of Lockhart? I know it will be way cheaper (probably) and less powerful than XSX, but is it aiming to run the games at full HD instead of 4K? Is it a streaming console? I am lost here.

Thanks in advance.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Hey! Would be someone kind enough to tell me what would be the main point of Lockhart? I know it will be way cheaper (probably) and less powerful than XSX, but is it aiming to run the games at full HD instead of 4K? Is it a streaming console? I am lost here.

Thanks in advance.

Its a succesor to the one/s while the xsx is the succesor to the one x is one way to look at it.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
SOC - ~200mm^2 n7p ~8 BN transistors
CPU - ~3.5GHz w SMT/3.6GHz wo SMT
GPU - 26 CU (28 total) @ ~1.3GHz (~4.3TF)
RAM - 10GB GDDR6, 10gbps, 6GB at 240GB/s, 4GB at 160GB/s
SSD - same as Xsx
BR - UHD BR

MSRP - $249, Fall/Winter 2020

Oops.

What was I thinking...

Changing ram to: 10GB GDDR6, 14gbps, 6GB at 336GB/s, 4GB at 224GB/s

Reasoning:

The slow portion of the ram on Xsx reserved for OS, audio, etc is 6GB at 336GB/s.

Lockhart at 192bits guarantees 6GB at 336GB/s. I expect these 6GB on Lockhart will be used 1:1 with the Xsx 6GB, so they will hold the OS, audio etc. This 6GB portion on both consoles will be used the same way since they're non-graphics devoted, and this makes porting between the two machines simpler.

I predict the graphics reserved memory on Lockhart will be 4GB at 224GB/s (which is more than enough for a 4-5tf, 1080p-1440p part).

So in summary 10GB total, 6GB at 336GB/s reserved for OS, audio, etc. 4GB at 224GB/s reserved for GPU.

Last edited: