• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
I would a safe rule of thumb for release expectations.

Does the week have an event (gaming) planned?
Does the week contain a Holiday?

If the answer to any of the above is true, I would not expect any BC games. At least that is what I remember their previous BC lead saying.

*Now watch them just be late and debunk everything I said.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I'll save you the time and effort and be in no doubt how owns the IP rights to the series. Fromsoftware has always published a lot of its own games in Japan and no doubt MS helped with some dosh and free development kits in an effort to get some Japanese support early into the XBox life.

45839767122_62657389ba_o.jpg

44072803900_e33fb44887_o.jpg

I never played a Soulsbourne game until Dark Souls 3 this gen. Then I went back to play them all. Top 5 favorite game ever. It's made me very curious about Otogi which I skipped on the OG? How did that game play? Any similarities to the Soulsbourne series? Right now it's my #1 most wanted BC game due to becomming such a big From Software fan and out of curiosity.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I never played a Soulsbourne game until Dark Souls 3 this gen. Then I went back to play them all. Top 5 favorite game ever. It's made me very curious about Otogi which I skipped on the OG? How did that game play? Any similarities to the Soulsbourne series? Right now it's my #1 most wanted BC game due to becomming such a big From Software fan and out of curiosity.
Maybe the weird atmosphere but gameplaywise no similarities. otogi is more a hacknslash/action game similar to maybe DMC but not as good. If you are looking for the souls games root, check the King's Field series.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how they haven't done X enhanced Fable II yet. I can play Anniversary and III on my PC. II is the best and only game I can't play in 4K.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Maybe the weird atmosphere but gameplaywise no similarities. otogi is more a hacknslash/action game similar to maybe DMC but not as good. If you are looking for the souls games root, check the King's Field series.
The other (arguably more) direct ancestor is Shadow Tower. Which had souls and bloodstains.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
It really would be amazing, and it would kind of fit with Microsoft being more on board with Japanese games in general, but what I'm really hoping for (not holding my breath though) are some more Original Xbox games. If none are announced, I'm just gonna re-buy an Original Xbox.
Bought one from my work today! It's in amazing condition. I also bought Burnout 3: Takedown, Rallisport Challenge 2, and Forza Motorsport 1. Plus, I have the first Otogi game, Gunvalkyrie, and Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller on the way. This weekend should be really fun! :D

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats, those are all great pickups. I loved all those games on the OG xbox, and I have to say that Burnout 3 and Gunvalkyrie in particular are some of the best games on the OG xbox. I still revisit them occasionally. There's some purity to their fast-knuckle no-frills gameplay that doesn't come often in many AA games these days.

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales

Played a bit like Ninja Gaiden. It's was the setting and the use of Japanese myth that makes this game. The art direction, music and the scale of destruction was brilliant at the time. Really worth picking them up, even now

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I really hope Gunvalkyrie gets added to the BC catalogue at some point. I bought it at the time solely because it was by Smilebit, but I just couldn't get on with the controls. I'd love to give it another go.

(I was actually so disappointed that I took it back to the shop, and I've since spent the last couple of years looking for a decent copy. I picked up a pristine JP copy at a retro event last year, as a curio - wonder if that'd work if it became BC..?)

May 21, 2018
Bought one from my work today! It's in amazing condition. I also bought Burnout 3: Takedown, Rallisport Challenge 2, and Forza Motorsport 1. Plus, I have the first Otogi game, Gunvalkyrie, and Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller on the way. This weekend should be really fun! :D

Nice 'get' there, Shumi. *thumbs up*

I know that graphics definitely aren't everything, but there are ways to make Original Xbox games look and sound really good even today. It was clearly the most well-equipped console on the market during the 6th generation and the difference was clear (being a multi-console owner then).

Congratulations on your pick up/s.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Gunvalkyrie gets added to the BC catalogue at some point. I bought it at the time solely because it was by Smilebit, but I just couldn't get on with the controls. I'd love to give it another go.

(I was actually so disappointed that I took it back to the shop, and I've since spent the last couple of years looking for a decent copy. I picked up a pristine JP copy at a retro event last year, as a curio - wonder if that'd work if it became BC..?)

Pretty sure it would. I own Panzer Dragoon Orta in Japanese and it works on my XB1. The game download is the Japanese version as a result though. Not a problem for a game like Gunvalkryie though. I own the Japanese version as well. It has some nifty cover art.

Out of the Smilebit games I think only JSRF had the better NA covers.

edit:Also if you mod your original Xbox you can easily play it on there too. That's how I currently play my copy.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
We're getting Nier and Ninja Gaiden 2 today, both enhanced. I can feel it.

That would be killer. I'd be really sad if neither ever make it for weird reasons. I also would love Anarchy Reigns and Asura's Wrath.

Microsoft needs to step it the BC games, I know some of them have their fans but we need more of those 360 heavy hitter games enhanced. My X is waiting for NG II.

Can we talk about how great this cover and package as a whole is?

j5idSQU.jpg

DyAUs5M.jpg

Last edited:

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
This going to come out of left field, but two games that I really want to have "X" Enhancements are, one of which is not even BC:

Supreme Commander 2 which is BC but needs a "X" Enhancements
Lord of the Rings RTS - Which needs both BC and "X" Enhancements

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017

Congrats on buying an Xbox! It was and still is a great machine. If you want to ever play imports on the system you actually have some cool choices. I recommend games like Metal Wolf Chaos and Double STEAL: The Second Clash (Japan only sequel to Wreckless here in the west, much better than the original in my eyes). Also that game runs in 720p and looks incredible for the game. A showpiece game for the Xbox really. Also hilarious car physics.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The closest would probably be Ninja Garden, which is like Dark Souls but a million times faster. You should give it a try, different combat pace, but still awesome.

Nah, Ninja Gaiden plays vastly differently than the Souls games.

It's more akin to Bayonetta or Devil May Cry, except less focused on lengthy combos and the enemies are a lot more aggressive than those two series.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Nah, Ninja Gaiden plays vastly differently than the Souls games.

It's more akin to Bayonetta or Devil May Cry, except less focused on lengthy combos and the enemies are a lot more aggressive than those two series.
I meant that it was the same as in learn to recognize your enemy's moves and when to do what. Bayonetta and DMC give more freedom when choosing your attack.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Played a bit like Ninja Gaiden. It's was the setting and the use of Japanese myth that makes this game. The art direction, music and the scale of destruction was brilliant at the time. Really worth picking them up, even now

The closest would probably be Ninja Garden, which is like Dark Souls but a million times faster. You should give it a try, different combat pace, but still awesome.

Ninja Gaiden was one of my top 5 favorite games from the OG Xbox. I've never given Devil May Cry a fair shake yet. Sounds like I may like Otogi.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I meant that it was the same as in learn to recognize your enemy's moves and when to do what. Bayonetta and DMC give more freedom when choosing your attack.

Even better. I think that's why Ninja Gaiden and Dark Souls clicked while Devil May Cry didn't. I like the challenge of learning enemy moves and patterns and overcoming them. Does Otogi have a decent challenge?

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Even better. I think that's why Ninja Gaiden and Dark Souls clicked while Devil May Cry didn't. I like the challenge of learning enemy moves and patterns and overcoming them. Does Otogi have a decent challenge?

nah, Otogi is fairly easy for the most part from what I remember. I haven't replayed 1 in ages. It's almost calming to be honest in the way it plays(I say that as a good thing).

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Congrats on buying an Xbox! It was and still is a great machine. If you want to ever play imports on the system you actually have some cool choices. I recommend games like Metal Wolf Chaos and Double STEAL: The Second Clash (Japan only sequel to Wreckless here in the west, much better than the original in my eyes). Also that game runs in 720p and looks incredible for the game. A showpiece game for the Xbox really. Also hilarious car physics.

Metal Wolf Chaos costs quite a bit, even used, and it's getting a remaster next year, so maybe better to wait on that.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Expected. BFV launching today and its Black Friday week after all. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get any new ones this month.
Maybe even this year.
Expecting nothing myself till around Christmas where we get some new/X enhanced goodies.

I've only been buying BC games with X support to send MS my message. Just picked up Skate 3 and Lightning Returns, what else looks awesome?

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway

Damn that looks amazing, I'd like to see those games get into the BC lineup!

Oct 31, 2017

Not sure if it was in this thread but someone else here saw it last week and I joked about it being BC this week :D

It should work if you change your region to JP first. I bought a copy last week by the way :D

Last edited:

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Im guessing at most there will be 1 or 2 more drops, then the BC team will probably be done until early 2019 just like last year

Status
Not open for further replies.