• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2018
Not really. Halo CE has some big open levels within a mission.

Maybe Halo Infinite can have this as a hub section and move from there.

tumblr_penp592fzR1t0eee6o1_1280.png

I really hope "Open Levels" means they fully commit to populating them with things to do. If Open Level+RPG levels means Gears 5 type of presentation, I would be disappointed because there was so much potential that they didn't tap into.

Gears 5 had 3 years dev, so understandable but Halo Infinite with 5 years gotta commit completely to making those Open levels meaningful and RPG Elements worth it.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Gears 5 having more open levels definitely gave the player some time to breathe. That's pretty refreshing for a franchise that's known for level design where you're constantly being chased or being flanked by hostile enemies.

Also, weird how little amount of people talked about the different encounter design in Gears 5. It felt more like a Halo game in where you already have enemies at the location and you can choose how you handle the situation. Typically in Gears, you'd be going from place to place and suddenly you'd be flanked by some sort of enemy in a pretty obviously built arena. It's one of the changes where i just don't get people who think it's "just another gears game".

Aug 26, 2019
Gears 5 having more open levels definitely gave the player some time to breathe. That's pretty refreshing for a franchise that's known for level design where you're constantly being chased or being flanked by hostile enemies.

Also, weird how little amount of people talked about the different encounter design in Gears 5. It felt more like a Halo game in where you already have enemies at the location and you can choose how you handle the situation. Typically in Gears, you'd be going from place to place and suddenly you'd be flanked by some sort of enemy in a pretty obviously built arena. It's one of the changes where i just don't get people who think it's "just another gears game".
You can thank GoW and Assassin's Creed for redefining what constitutes "major changes" to a franchise. In 2011, the modifications that Coalition made to Gears would be seen by the general audience as huge. Now, they're just sort of...there. I love Gears 5 btw, not hating on it in any way. Just making a point.

Basically, to make a Gears game that isn't seen as just "another Gears game," Coalition would have to make a game that isn't Gears. Whether that's something the core fanbase actually wants...

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
You can thank GoW and Assassin's Creed for redefining what constitutes "major changes" to a franchise. In 2011, the modifications that Coalition made to Gears would be seen by the general audience as huge. Now, they just sort of...there. I love Gears 5 btw, not hating on it in any way. Just making a point.

Basically, to make a Gears game that isn't seen as just "another Gears game," Coalition would have to make a game that isn't Gears. Whether that's something the core fanbase actually wants...

I pretty much see Gears as the Mario for XGS while Halo is more like the Legend of Zelda for XGS;
One of the two is more focused on iteration or "similar gameplay" but changes stuff up with the level design while the other one does change the foundation with each instalment while still focusing on the same worldbuilding that the fans know and love. Gears doesn't need to change its style of gameplay in order to gain success IMO. There's nothing like it on the market and that's something that the people at TC/XGS know. Halo can have its BOTW moment with Halo Infinite by having an atmosphere that's pretty similar to Halo's roots where the level design is similar, but where the gameplay still is different from what we know from a Halo game.

I'm gonna say it again, but expecting something radically different out of Gears for the next ten years is gonna leave people in here disappointed. We're going to see cool stuff from TC both from the mainline Gears titles and their post-launch support + the spinoffs that they will be coming up with like Tactics. For all I care about, I just want to see more out of the crazy world from the Gears series. Like I just don't get the whole mentality that something like Gears should be dropped for the sake of people just wanting TC to work on a whole different IP.

From watching their streams, sounds like they will be supporting the game for a long time. On their most recent stream they talked about the new outfit customization coming next week. They will be bringing new outfits and weapons regularly to the game. (all free). They mentioned expanding the game into a live service game, continuing to update it with features that can grow over time. (probably doing this to keep a lot of their staff busy while they design the next game). They said they are using the wishlist page on support.Stateofdecay.com on what they will work on. Clothing customization was at the top of the list.

Its Probably my favorite Xbox Studios Game next to Sea of Thieves so excited to see what is next. (also probably my most played game on Xbox too)

Cool to see customization getting added to Sod2. The post launch support has been pretty good with the past content updates.

Last edited:

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Playing PDZ on X. I can't believe how amazing it looks! I just loads up MP maps to try out different weapons.This game has one of the best weapon design ever. Such a variety and they look sick. All the weapons secondary abilities, reload and AFK animations are also incredible.

The art style is just amazing. One of a kind. I simply can't believe how MS are sitting on this gold IP and doing nothing. Am sorry but I can't understand how CD got a pass and this not.

Last edited:

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Playing PDZ on X. I can't believe how amazing it looks! I just loads up MP maps to try out different weapons.This game has one of the best weapon design ever. Such a variety and they look sick. All the weapons secondary abilities, reload and AFK animations are also incredible.

The art style is just amazing. One of a kind. I simply can't believe how MS are sitting on this gold IP and doing nothing. Am sorry but I can't understand how CD got a pass and this not.

I never held PDZ in high regards due to the somewhat weird shooting mechanics but this brings back good nostalgia from the 360 launch. That was a damned good time.

...and yes, their art direction was unique and it's sorely missed...for those not playing a lot of SoT.

Aug 26, 2019
I pretty much see Gears as the Mario for XGS while Halo is more like the Legend of Zelda for XGS;
One of the two is more focused on iteration or "similar gameplay" but changes stuff up with the level design while the other one does change the foundation with each instalment while still focusing on the same worldbuilding that the fans know and love. Gears doesn't need to change its style of gameplay in order to gain success IMO. There's nothing like it on the market and that's something that the people at TC/XGS know. Halo can have its BOTW moment with Halo Infinite by having an atmosphere that's pretty similar to Halo's roots where the level design is similar, but where the gameplay still is different from what we know from a Halo game.

I'm gonna say it again, but expecting something radically different out of Gears for the next ten years is gonna leave people in here disappointed. We're going to see cool stuff from TC both from the mainline Gears titles and their post-launch support + the spinoffs that they will be coming up with like Tactics. For all I care about, I just want to see more out of the crazy world from the Gears series. Like I just don't get the whole mentality that something like Gears should be dropped for the sake of people just wanting TC to work on a whole different IP.

Cool to see customization getting added to Sod2. The post launch support has been pretty good with the past content updates.
I get where you're coming from but you also can't blame people for wanting something entirely new. Even if the Coalition were to make the "perfect" Gears game, it wouldn't do anything for people that are just tired of Gears. The people that want to see a new IP from the Coalition recognize their incredible talent, and are just curious to see how it can be applied to something new. I want Gears 6 from them, and I don't even want them to change up that much because I feel that they nailed everything with Gears 5. But after that, who knows?

Jan 4, 2018
I am fascinated to see how they mix in the dungeon/loot aspect with Minecraft. I wonder if they will have building elements or not?
I'm also curious about equipment.
Because there's not really that many weapons in regular Minecraft and for that kind of game a wide variety of equipment is really important (not just for the mechanics, but also the appearance of you character changing with new, better equipment)
Hope they'll expand it greatly and that poses the question, will all that new equipment make the jump to regular Minecraft too? They can synergize greatly

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I've put around six hours into The Bards Tale IV: DC and I'm really enjoying it, couldn't tell you the last time I played a turned base game for more than a couple of hours without giving up. It's a proper old school RPG and it gets me really excited to see what inXile could do with more support and a bigger budget.

I think them and Compulsion are total dark horses going into next gen.

Nov 23, 2018
I hope we get release dates at XO19. Currently, are The Outer Worlds and Ori and the Will of the Wisps the only XGS games with a set date?

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
I hope we get release dates at XO19. Currently, are The Outer Worlds and Ori and the Will of the Wisps the only XGS games with a set date?

Bleeding Edge is a dead cert for a release date (early 2020 so maybe January?) I think we could also see release dates for WL3 and Pyschonaunts 2 if not at XO19 then probably game awards.

Apr 6, 2018
They don't. They just need to let their big players like 343 and the Coalition make new IPs.

I'm on Act 3 right now with Gears 5. Having an open field that you can do fetch quests or collect some garbage isn't brave nor new.

In terms of devs, what MS needs is someone like From Software. Best gameplay and design + huge cult and personality.

Not saying they should buy From Software (they are owned anyway). Just an example of what they are lacking currently.
The reason is that today there's a repulsion for linearity, they had to adact trying to don't devastate the core gameplay
I really hope "Open Levels" means they fully commit to populating them with things to do. If Open Level+RPG levels means Gears 5 type of presentation, I would be disappointed because there was so much potential that they didn't tap into.

Gears 5 had 3 years dev, so understandable but Halo Infinite with 5 years gotta commit completely to making those Open levels meaningful and RPG Elements worth it.
This is as far it can be from what happened. There was no time/resource limits, that one was always the target, but they reflect immensely on how open the map in each detail. They are definitely not going to make gears 6 the witcher 3 with gears gameplay.
The rpg elements are few but definitely "worth". Basically you misinterpreted the design of those regions.

people still sleep on the mission design for two players, some levels are masterpieces

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I actually liked that the open areas of Gears were fairly empty. Random encounters would have been annoying, maybe they could have balanced it with a few scripted ambushes or something, but I liked the sort of contemplative nature of it.

It made rolling up to a place you knew things were gout to happen in seem bigger. I also felt like the encounter design of Gears was really good, there was a mix of tight corridor shooting, open kind of micro-horde segments, little pops of horror from certain enemies and set pieces, and the "how do you want to handle this" segments where you'd go somewhere to find enemies already there.

Gears doesn't need to become an open world RPG, Halo probably doesn't either.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just finished Gears 5. I enjoyed it quite a bit and The Coalition did a nice job. That said, it was disappointing. The story and characters were pretty mediocre and barely an improvement from past games. I thought they would have done much more. It felt pretty hollow. Things kind of fell apart after about half way through Act 2.

I also thought the skiff stuff was okay, but Act 4 was the best because it had a faster pace and better action - it felt more like regular Gears. The Coalition just isn't quite capable of pulling off the slower paced/character development/story stuff at this point.

I think the reviews are spot on. I'd give it around 8.5/10. Not quite the single player gem I was hoping for from Microsoft, but a very solid time.

For me, Gears 2 is definitely better.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I admittedly haven't followed it too closely. I thought this October was the test for console-to-phone streaming? But the stuff from Inside Xbox mentioned XCloud streaming?
This website has the details:

www.xbox.com

Xbox Game Streaming (Preview) | Xbox

Get a first look at Xbox Game Streaming. Stream your favorite Xbox games from the cloud or console straight to your Android phone or tablet.

At E3, Phil talked about both - streaming from datacenters (Project xCloud) and streaming from your own console (Console Streaming). He said at E3 that both are going into preview in October.

At the above website, you can register to try to be a part of the Project xCloud (streaming from datacenter) preview. Details about console streaming are coming soon.

DntSpwnOnMe

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any third party controllers with a good D-pad? Playing more indies thanks to game pass and the Xbox controller's D-pad isn't exactly the best.

I know this thread is for first party posts, but it is the only general Xbox thread on this site.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I would never make a thread about this, but I have to say at least in here where it seems safe that MS has really had bad luck and also shooting themselves in the foot this generation. In regards to bad luck, they have just had a poor record when it comes getting marketing deals for certain games. For example, the upcoming bundles and marketing around the new Ghost Recon. After playing the beta and reading the beta thread the game is kind of a train wreck. While it has some neat aspects, it does not look great, it runs poorly (on X) and just feels rushed. The track record for the games that MS has decided to get marketing deals over the last few years has been really hit and miss.

It has not happened for all games they had marketing deals, but for the last few years the games they did get the deals with have fallen flat (Anthem). It just seems this Generation as far as marketing deals and lack of 1st party titles has just been a cluster for them. The Xbox is my primary platform and I enjoy a lot of the games MS has made...but going into the next generation, I hope they have better luck with 3rd party games they get marketing deals with. Not that it has a major impact on me personally, it is just something I have noticed.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
I would never make a thread about this, but I have to say at least in here where it seems safe that MS has really had bad luck and also shooting themselves in the foot this generation. In regards to bad luck, they have just had a poor record when it comes getting marketing deals for certain games. For example, the upcoming bundles and marketing around the new Ghost Recon. After playing the beta and reading the beta thread the game is kind of a train wreck. While it has some neat aspects, it does not look great, it runs poorly (on X) and just feels rushed. The track record for the games that MS has decided to get marketing deals over the last few years has been really hit and miss.

It has not happened for all games they had marketing deals, but for the last few years the games they did get the deals with have fallen flat (Anthem). It just seems this Generation as far as marketing deals and lack of 1st party titles has just been a cluster for them. The Xbox is my primary platform and I enjoy a lot of the games MS has made...but going into the next generation, I hope they have better luck with 3rd party games they get marketing deals with. Not that it has a major impact on me personally, it is just something I have noticed.
Eh as someone that's played the beta I cannot freaking wait for Friday for Breakpoint, but sure there have been some misses. As bad as Anthem has done in the gaming community post launch it still sold really well. You could say that Control was a miss for PS4 as even though the game is great it hasn't sold well, and in the end I don't think any of the 3rd party deals have hurt MS so to speak. As long as they don't give in to the 3rd party exclusive horse-shit that Sony is doing then I'll be happy, hated that during the 360 and early One X days under Mattrick.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought Perfect Dark Zero was ugly as sin, like those late 90's CG cartoons like Max Steel, but in video game form

hqdefault.jpg

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Eh as someone that's played the beta I cannot freaking wait for Friday for Breakpoint, but sure there have been some misses. As bad as Anthem has done in the gaming community post launch it still sold really well. You could say that Control was a miss for PS4 as even though the game is great it hasn't sold well, and in the end I don't think any of the 3rd party deals have hurt MS so to speak. As long as they don't give in to the 3rd party exclusive horse-shit that Sony is doing then I'll be happy, hated that during the 360 and early One X days under Mattrick.

I should of mentioned that Ghost Recon imho based on what I played it seemed pretty poor (mainly in the performance). I like some of the ideas and the world looks very cool, but performance in both Graphics or Resolution really blows.

Control was not a major marketed game. I am referring more to the games that usually get tied into a bundle with the system. It seems like many of the ones that MS backed seemed to crash and burn. While initial sales of Anthem stared strong it died off really quickly and had no staying power at all. I don't think it overly was negative, it just an observation/opinion I had that a lot of the 3rd party games MS bundles with their system (not all) seems to perform/review poorly for the most part.

Back to Ghost Recon I really hope the final games runs better because there were some things I really liked about it..but that performance was really poor.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
What do you guys think about this?

To me, it just seems pretty unneccessary and petty from the band and the TwitchCon crowd. Platform wars are so silly...

I like Robey's take on it, which is why I quoted his tweet, instead of just the original one.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
What do you guys think about this?

To me, it just seems pretty unneccessary and petty from the band and the TwitchCon crowd. Platform wars are so silly...

I like Robey's take on it, which is why I quoted his tweet, instead of just the original one.

It's obviously just a silly joke. But that's amazing promotion for Mixer right there, improving brand awareness. "What's Mixer?" asks half the crowd.

Jimmy1984

Banned
May 19, 2018
Why MS Is going to show AOE4 for the First time at X019? Isn't Germany (Gamescom) a properly Place to talk about RTS games?

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I just finished Gears 5. I enjoyed it quite a bit and The Coalition did a nice job. That said, it was disappointing. The story and characters were pretty mediocre and barely an improvement from past games. I thought they would have done much more. It felt pretty hollow. Things kind of fell apart after about half way through Act 2.

I also thought the skiff stuff was okay, but Act 4 was the best because it had a faster pace and better action - it felt more like regular Gears. The Coalition just isn't quite capable of pulling off the slower paced/character development/story stuff at this point.

I think the reviews are spot on. I'd give it around 8.5/10. Not quite the single player gem I was hoping for from Microsoft, but a very solid time.

For me, Gears 2 is definitely better.

It's a blast with friends despite the bugs but honestly I expected so much more. I wanted Gears 5 to be Xbox One's swan song. Instead I got a solid Gears experience. Much better than the bland 4 but same or a bit worse than the old trilogy imo.

The Coalition are still way too afraid to shake things up. I feel like either they are time constrained due to the immense work they put in or they don't want to change the game completely in one title.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
It's a blast with friends despite the bugs but honestly I expected so much more. I wanted Gears 5 to be Xbox One's swan song. Instead I got a solid Gears experience. Much better than the bland 4 but same or a bit worse than the old trilogy imo.

The Coalition are still way too afraid to shake things up. I feel like either they are time constrained due to the immense work they put in or they don't want to change the game completely in one title.
Halo Infinite is the Swan Song.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Halo Infinite

As a System Designer on Halo Infinite, I created new Vehicles, Weapons, and Gameplay Mechanics for use in Halo's new campaign and multiplayer modes as a part of 343's Sandbox team. To do this I used 343's internal development tools, LUA scripting, and an intense weekly playtesting process.

As a part of development, most vehicles had to be rebuilt into Halo's new engine, which I was tasked with. Some of my best work includes creation of multiple new vehicles, and making them work in both a single player and multiplayer capacity. I also made previously ignored vehicles viable and fun again in multiplayer again via tuning and iteration.

Status
Not open for further replies.