• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Backseat moderation
This sounds great, but probably best not to promote people like Dealer_Gaming. Even Mike Ybarra distanced himself after learning of the kind of toxicity he's been responsible for.

Way to misrepresent and continue to derail this thread. That shit was from years ago. He apologized and didn't repeat. Let people move on from their past. Worry about cleaning your own glass house. This thread is to talk about Xbox games and studios. Don't derail.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Holy shit some of those replies. Some people are somehow worse than what I read on Era. Jesus Christ.

Aug 26, 2019
Set expectations realistically. They're a small team working on their first game. They just don't have the manpower to make a game the size of Gears 5, Halo Infinite etc. I'm sure the quality will be as high, but it won't be as huge. Think Hellblade, Control sized games.

It's going to be Playground, Rare, Coalition, 343i, T10, and maybe Obsidian developing the "tent poles."

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Way to misrepresent and continue to derail this thread. That shit was from years ago. He apologized and didn't repeat. Let people move on from their past. Worry about cleaning your own glass house. This thread is to talk about Xbox games and studios. Don't derail.

I'm sorry, how did I misrepresent him? The link is literally his own words and rant. Sounds like you're being quick to defend a toxic homophobe.

At least two users in here didn't know of Dealer's toxic past, including the person who posted the original tweet in this thread. Ultimately, it is not for you to decide what is or is not forgivable nor what is or isn't allowed to be posted in this thread.

Era moderation and users are generally stringent or cautious on the promotion of toxic or hateful channels and figures, and given this YT'ers very toxic and homophobic past, I think it's fair that it's brought awareness to when some people are none-the-wiser.

Last edited:

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Set expectations realistically. They're a small team working on their first game. They just don't have the manpower to make a game the size of Gears 5, Halo Infinite etc. I'm sure the quality will be as high, but it won't be as huge. Think Hellblade, Control sized games.

They're a small team right now, doesn't mean it will remain that way. Even at huge studios they don't start a game with 200 people working on it, it starts with a small team until it goes into full production. Looking at the talent that have I'm fairly certain their goal is to become one of the tentpole studios at MS.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just curious: which was the last Xbox exclusive that you were as hyped for as Gears 5?

Do you think Gears 5 is the biggest exclusive of this gen for Microsoft so far?

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

It's going to be Playground, Rare, Coalition, 343i, T10, and maybe Obsidian developing the "tent poles."
They won't remain a small team, they'll keep expanding to meet their current projects demands. Their recent job listings all seem to indicate they are actually working on a AAA project.

Aug 26, 2019
They won't remain a small team, they'll keep expanding to meet their current projects demands. Their recent job listings all seem to indicate they are actually working on a AAA project.

They're a small team right now, doesn't mean it will remain that way. Even at huge studios they don't start a game with 200 people working on it, it starts with a small team until it goes into full production. Looking at the talent that have I'm fairly certain their goal is to become one of the tentpole studios at MS.
Remember; they've said that they see staying "small and agile" as their strength.

"However, The Initiative also looks to set expectations going forward, claiming "staying small, and staying agile, will actually be our strength." Followed by words from Gallagher, the studio lead states "the bar is high" and "the challenge for us is making sure we deliver on those expectations." It indicates The Initiative is starting small for its early projects, leveraging a tight team focused on innovation – not scale."

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just curious: which was the last Xbox exclusive that you were as hyped for as Gears 5?

Do you think Gears 5 is the biggest exclusive of this gen for Microsoft?

Last mega hyped for the last Horizon and was a wee bit hyped for Crackdown.

And also there's a game called Halo coming next year, which will be Xbox's biggest exclusive this gen.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Last mega hyped for the last Horizon and was a wee bit hyped for Crackdown.

And also there's a game called Halo coming next year, which will be Xbox's biggest exclusive this gen.

Good point. I have edited to say biggest exclusive "so far", as that is what I meant. Halo Infinite will of course be bigger when it launches at the end of next year.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Forza Horizon 4.

I think Halo Infinite will be the biggest this gen, as it technically will be an Xbox One title as well as being next gen.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I'm sorry, how did I misrepresent him? The link is literally his own words and rant. Sounds like you're being quick to defend a toxic homophobe.

At least two users in here didn't know of Dealer's toxic past, including the person who posted the original tweet in this thread. Ultimately, it is not for you to decide what is or is not forgivable nor what is or isn't allowed to be posted in this thread.

Era moderation and users are generally stringent or cautious on the promotion of toxic or hateful channels and figures, and given this YT'ers very toxic and homophobic past, I think it's fair that it's brought awareness to when some people are none-the-wiser.

The date on the video you linked was recent. The incident is old. There's no context. Doesn't mention any apology or that there's no homophobic slang used on his channel since.

...and you know this since this has been discussed in the other thread previously. Yet you like to start this conversation with the same misleading context. Drop the fucking agenda.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Remember; they've said that they see staying "small and agile" as their strength.

"However, The Initiative also looks to set expectations going forward, claiming "staying small, and staying agile, will actually be our strength." Followed by words from Gallagher, the studio lead states "the bar is high" and "the challenge for us is making sure we deliver on those expectations." It indicates The Initiative is starting small for its early projects, leveraging a tight team focused on innovation – not scale."
It all depends on their definition of small, they could grow to 200 or even 250 ( just like Rare) and still be small compared to studios like PG , TC and 343i. That doesn't mean they won't be working on AAA titles. The studio is been set up to build the next Xbox blockbuster.. If Guerrilla games could develop Horizon Zero Dawn with just 200 in-house developers then I don't see any reason TI can't do same.

Aug 26, 2019
I can understand why MS would want the Initiative to start small. This is different than 343 taking up Halo or Coalition with Gears. This is a new team built from the ground-up that doesn't have an established IP to work on. Despite the talent, it's risky to assign a new team the task of building a Gears or Halo level game. Remember, that's what the original goal of Black Tusk was too.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Forza Horizon 4.

I think Halo Infinite will be the biggest this gen, as it technically will be an Xbox One title as well as being next gen.

Forza Horizon 4 is my answer as well. Prior to that would be Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 4 lol.

Yes, Halo will definitely be bigger. I'm wondering based on what has launched so far.

Biggest exclusive so far is still Titanfall 1 i think.

Interesting - do you mean Titanfall 1 in terms of sales, critical reception, or overall impact for the system? It came out before I owned an Xbox and is multiplayer only which doesn't appeal to me...so I didn't follow it too closely.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
You dont really start with 200 people tho. That needs to grow organically over time. Think they will be close to 100 first and release a game and grow from there.

Aug 26, 2019
It all depends on their definition of small, they could grow to 200 or even 250 ( just like Rare) and still be small compared to studios like PG , TC and 343i. That doesn't mean they won't be working on AAA titles. The studio is been set up to build the next Xbox blockbuster.. If Guerrilla games could develop Horizon Zero Dawn with just 200 in-house developers then I don't see any reason TI can't do same.
Apples to oranges. Guerilla Is an established studio that has been around for decades. And though HZD is a departure from their previous work, it's built with the same tools as their other games. Initiative is just starting out. And we still don't know what next-gen game development entails. Giving an entirely new studio the task of building a full-fledged AAA next-gen new IP is very risky.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting - do you mean Titanfall 1 in terms of sales, critical reception, or overall impact for the system? It came out before I owned an Xbox and is multiplayer only which doesn't appeal to me...so I didn't follow it too closely.
All three really. The hype with that game was reminiscent to some 360 games hype. MS really treated it like a own first party exclusive also.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So much of AAA gaming is contractable anyway, you can have a small team and farm out lots of it anyway.
This is how you end up with small studios of 70 people having 10000 people on the credit roll.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing Kameo today and it's still fun as hell and it also looks pretty damn good with the 4K patch.

Personally I'd love to see Rare going back to a similar game or hell, why not a actual sequel? Just do it! Would you guys like a Kameo 2? I realize the chances of this are second to none, but still. But rumors were that their next game was MP, right? Meh :(

I would play another one for sure. I must have watched the concept video for Kameo 2 a dozen times, especially captivated by the ability to fly.

If I got to pick any Rare IP for revival it's Viva Pinata.

I'd take another JFG as well. Imagine a shared world set in a solar system under attack by a bug invasion and you as a bounty Hunter with a crazy assortment of weapons.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019

Maybe for the preprod.

GOD OF WAR at the beginning of development he was a small group, after staying small does it mean 100-200? because big AAAA like ACO, Rdr2 etc... they are games developed by 500-1000 people.

The initiative talks about Next big things

A linear story focused game can be AAA also. AAA is all about budget. And they offcourse will get a nice big budget from MS.

He recruit the technical director of GTA 5 Online and Halo 5 online side.

Their games will be based on storytelling but I do not think he will only have solo

When we look the job offers and the talents, we can not believe that he will work on smaller projects.

Xbox Game Studios & Game Pass need 1 blockbuster minimum per years beside his AA+ projects, "Next big things" for me it's AAA

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe for the preprod.

GOD OF WAR at the beginning of development he was a small group, after staying small does it mean 100-200? because big AAAA like ACO, Rdr2 etc... they are games developed by 500-1000 people.

The initiative talks about Next big things

He recruit the technical director of GTA 5 Online and Halo 5 online side.

Their games will be based on storytelling but I do not think he will only have solo

When we look the job offers and the talents, we can not believe that he will work on smaller projects.

Xbox Game Studios & Game Pass need 1 blockbuster minimum per years beside his AA+ projects, "Next big things" for me it's AAA
Again just because its a "smaller" experience doesnt mean it cant be AAA :)

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Apples to oranges. Guerilla Is an established studio that has been around for decades. And though HZD is a departure from their previous work, it's built with the same tools as their other games. Initiative is just starting out. And we still don't know what next-gen game development entails. Giving an entirely new studio the task of building a full-fledged AAA next-gen new IP is very risky.

They are an established studio but had no experience with RPGs so they hired devs with the experience they also had to build an engine from scratch. I still cant see anything stopping TI from doing same, they are currently hiring devs with the experience they need and besides the same recruiter who helped SSM recruit for GOW is helping TI recruit. They aren't recruiting indie devs or devs new to the industry.. They are hiring top talent who have spent years in the industry and have worked on AAA titles. They've mostly just been filling up the key roles though and they are still going to hire a lot more.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018
I've never played a single Gears game for more than 5 minutes. From a distance (I primarily owned Sony/Nintendo consoles growing up), the whole series seemed to be the epitome of the "bro shooter" genre that MS got the reputation for churning out last gen. Truly, I had seen nothing in Gears 1-4 that appealed to me.

So I now find myself surprised that I am legitimately excited to co-op Gears 5 with my brother and buddy.

It's a testament to MS' strategy that I, someone who gobbled up damn near every Sony exclusive on PS 1-4, am now heavily invested in the Xbox ecosystem, subbed to GP for the next few years, and am anxiously awaiting the fifth iteration of a series I couldn't have cared less about a year ago.

That's a disgusting rant. Had never heard of this clown prior to seeing the post. Disappointing that the anyone would look to this guy for reviews/thoughts/etc. But this hobby seems to attract the worst kinds of people....

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

Crackdown 3 and multi player aside, it fully delievered. I expect Gears 5 will do the same.

Commercially or critically? Hard to judge the last without playing the game. Halo is the bigger brand, but I think Gears will be the better game. Forza Horizon also feels like it's getting pretty big these days and always were critically.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The date on the video you linked was recent. The incident is old. There's no context. Doesn't mention any apology or that there's no homophobic slang used on his channel since.

...and you know this since this has been discussed in the other thread previously. Yet you like to start this conversation with the same misleading context. Drop the fucking agenda.

What agenda? An agenda of highlighting toxic and homophobic channels? You look absolutely ridiculous defending this piece of trash.

Also, of course he'd apologise once it affects his image and livelihood, but this guy has or had a history of this sort of stuff, it's not like it was one isolated example. I don't buy that he isn't a trashy person any longer, just that he isn't publicly trashy because he knows it'll affect his bottom line.

In any case, do you have a link to the apology? I've heard it mentioned by users but not heard the apology myself.

Jan 4, 2018
Recap Gears 4 video(for remember the plot) make me figure out it seems many Microsoft games have robot action scene(plus they have Battletech IP), and most them are pretty cool.
It makes me wonder, if MS want try something for Japanese market, i wonder could they ask Bandai to license Gundam IP and ask one of internal studio(like Coalition) to make an Gundam game, since Japanese still likes Gundam and Gundam is a worldwide IP so no need too worry about the sales if the game end up good(plus recent year Gundam action games is too freaking shit lol).
I think getting the right to Gundam might be too complicated as there's already someone (Bandai Namco?) doing games
Macross on the other hand... (planes+robots, the perfect union hahah)

Apr 6, 2018
why the hell the thread is about a guy who used slang during a stream years ago?

Are we living in "demolition man"? Everyone curses sometimes, you had no idea of what it's a really mean language

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Oh don't go that way, rights of Macross in the west are a bloody mess thanks to Harmony Gold.

The whole robotech situation.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Crackdown 3 and multi player aside, it fully delievered. I expect Gears 5 will do the same.

Commercially or critically? Hard to judge the last without playing the game. Halo is the bigger brand, but I think Gears will be the better game. Forza Horizon also feels like it's getting pretty big these days and always were critically.

Also bear in mind mind that, since its a launch title for Scarlett, Infinite is technically a next gen title. Despite a potato mode version getting released on the OG One.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Random shower thought. Isn't it crazy the Playground Games AAA open-world RPG is in development for over 2.5 years already? Pre-producion, concept phase etc. included obviously. The earliest indication of someone working on it I found on LinkedIn is from April 2017.

Aug 26, 2019
The same recruiter who helped SSM recruit for GOW is helping TI recruit. They aren't recruiting indie devs or devs new to the industry.. They are hiring top talent who have spent years in the industry and have worked on AAA titles. They've mostly just been filling up the key roles.
Regardless of the scope of the game that they're developing, I think we can agree that quality will be second to none.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Random shower thought. Isn't it crazy the Playground Games AAA open-world RPG is in development for over 2.5 years already? Pre-producion, concept phase etc. included obviously. The earliest indication of someone working on it I found on LinkedIn is from April 2017.

What is your guess for release window? I'm thinking second half of 2021. Reveal during E3 2020.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.