• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lsarmiliato

Jan 12, 2018
Any problem with that? I thought experience is more important than gender. Especially that industry is occupied by more men than women and that is nothing new and surprised 🤔​

Yes! A lot of problems! This is an area that Microsoft should be leading, and they are pretty good at this, in fact, having at least 3 studios being led by women. It's not wrong to want the industry to be better and more welcoming.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Very good interview on Bleeding Edge. Gets me even more excited for it. I def recommend reading the entire interview.

"the point of making it with such a small team is that it doesn't have to appeal to every single person in the world and it doesn't have to be super-duper mass market. We just focus on making a game that we're passionate about, that we think's cool, and then hopefully people will like it because we like it and we had passion when we made it. And that's kind of the way we approach it, we don't kind of think too much about what else are people playing and will they play this and will they play that? We just think, 'What do we wanna make? What are we passionate about?' And we make that and then we try to find the people that will like it with us."

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Yes! A lot of problems! This is an area that Microsoft should be leading, and they are pretty good at this, in fact, having at least 3 studios being led by women. It's not wrong to want the industry to be better and more welcoming.
you dont know the applicants who applied ...
or even the circumstances on the hiring process for those positions.
you . just. dont know. and to label them as bad is a reach. please stop before this spirals into something its not.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Very good interview on Bleeding Edge. Gets me even more excited for it. I def recommend reading the entire interview.

"the point of making it with such a small team is that it doesn't have to appeal to every single person in the world and it doesn't have to be super-duper mass market. We just focus on making a game that we're passionate about, that we think's cool, and then hopefully people will like it because we like it and we had passion when we made it. And that's kind of the way we approach it, we don't kind of think too much about what else are people playing and will they play this and will they play that? We just think, 'What do we wanna make? What are we passionate about?' And we make that and then we try to find the people that will like it with us."

I definitely think that with Game Pass in mind, this would allow more passion projects from their internal teams. Now hoping for that Phantom Dust game :D

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Dude, there are Places in this world where women dont like jobs or don't aply for jobs related to the gaming industry, not every place Is California or Canada.
I was studying programing here in MX, 20 people were registered, 6 women included, but only 10 people remained, and Guess what, all women left.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
So with Gamescom being focused on Age of Empires and possibly Gears Tactics, I wonder what they will announce on X019 since it seems a bigger show than last year. At X018 they revealed Forza Horizon 4 first DLC, two new studios plus more details on DMC V IIRC and tons of games coming to XGP, I wonder how they will play with this one.

First look at whatever Rares second team is working on perhaps?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
WelldocumentedCluelessCassowary-size_restricted.gif

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Any problem with that? I thought experience is more important than gender. Especially that industry is occupied by more men than women and that is nothing new and surprised 🤔​

If you start hiring strictly based on experience, you end up with a stagnating industry because the same forty people are just rotating and it becomes impossible for any new talent or perspectives to enter. Especially in a creative industry.

It also means you just continually widen problems like a homogenous industry. If there's more men then women, then there's going to be more experienced men then women, and you're gonna end up with more men than woman.

Creative industries in particular should be looking for potential as much as they're looking for experience, and interesting new perspectives. Lionhead was known as a place a lot of people got their start, it's a good legacy to have.

Roman Bellic

Banned
Jun 13, 2019
User banned (1 week): Sexist trolling.
L8CQaSW.gif

Another political correctness topic. I'm off for that…

XO19 would be the absolute perfect place to tease a couple next gen launch window games.
Of course that X020 will be ideal to do this, like they did with X05 for Xbox 360 👌

Roman Bellic

Banned
Jun 13, 2019
If you start hiring strictly based on experience, you end up with a stagnating industry because the same forty people are just rotating and it becomes impossible for any new talent or perspectives to enter. Especially in a creative industry.

It also means you just continually widen problems like a homogenous industry. If there's more men then women, then there's going to be more experienced men then women, and you're gonna end up with more men than woman.

Creative industries in particular should be looking for potential as much as they're looking for experience, and interesting new perspectives. Lionhead was known as a place a lot of people got their start, it's a good legacy to have.
Ok, but that has nothing to do with what gender these developers, employees are. Really.

Nevermind. Not my circus, not my monkeys.

These guys wore t-shirts on their first day at work? Seriously?
How they could go to the work without tie or unified hair style? That's incorrect! 😉

Oct 28, 2017
How they could go to the work without tie or unified hair style? That's incorrect! 😉

I wear t-shirts at work sometimes. I definitely would never not wear a suit and tie on my first day in any professional environment. It doesn't matter if everyone else is wearing t-shirts and flip flops.

Edit: Not hating on them or anything. I just think it's crazy they didn't.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I wear t-shirts at work sometimes. I definitely would never not wear a suit and tie on my first day in any professional environment. It doesn't matter if everyone else is wearing t-shirts and flip flops.

Edit: Not hating on them or anything. I just think it's crazy they didn't.
gald to know that everyone should do what you do in hypothetical situations. /s

tf is wrong with this thread now? ...

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Gears 5 looks incredible. I saw a 4K 60fps video last night of the new Escape mode and lord is it pretty!

Moving to 60fps is the best thing they ever did. I hope all 1P adopt this next gen.

Aug 26, 2018
A good article and interview with Rod on Gears 5, so hyped for all of the game modes and fun to be had from this game! - https://kotaku.com/gears-5-developer-says-it-s-riskier-than-the-last-one-1835802465

Can't wait for Sept 6.

Here's what I would do. Scrap their current marketing plan because its not working, not enough hype for a new Gears game that is releasing on STEAM. They will get completely overshadowed by Borderlands 3 at the current rate.

Have a special event in late July talking about Gears 5 in Mexico similar to how Ghost Recon Breakpoint, COD MW, Destiny 2 announced etc. because they will get all the eyeballs, correct their E3 issue of no gameplay and get the hype machine back on track.

1. Show 30 mins of Campaign Gameplay.
2. Show Versus/more escape and a tease of Horde ( Full reveal at Gamescom in August)
3. Invite Digital Foundry to talk about the Graphics ( 4k 60fps), Raytracing, collaboration with AMD (Bring back the Gears as the graphical showcase hype of Xbox 360)

This will give them all the eyes, get reviewers/outlets/gamers/twitch/youtubers talking about the game.

Last edited:

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Ok, but that has nothing to do with what gender these developers, employees are. Really.

Nevermind. Not my circus, not my monkeys.

I mean it doesn't and it does. The argument "hire the most experienced people, regardless of their backgrounds" ignores the fact that people with different backgrounds can make different games.

Can men have interesting and unique perspectives? Absolutely. Do all women automatically have a unique or interesting perspective? Nah, some women are super boring.

Gender makes no one less valuable, but you can't just say "hire whoever has the most experience, that's always best" because if you do that and there is already a systemic weight to an industry, whether it's predominantly male or predominantly Asian or whatever, it just keeps it that way.

I want to be totally clear, I'm not calling out Playground. For all I know they could be making plenty of hires they aren't talking about, because hiring some scrappy newby doesn't make exciting news, but hiring industry veterans does, that's fine.

I'm calling out people who say the background of a person doesn't matter, especially in an industry that already has problems with diversity and stagnation.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
As long as people aren't being antagonist or disruptive, I don't see a problem with PlayStation or Nintendo for that matter being discussed. Contrasting platforms serves to flesh out discussion of the things Xbox does well and the areas in which it can improve. Obviously, this is an Xbox thread and talk of other consoles should derive from a place of referencing this ecosystem while being constructive apposed to flammatory.

It was great to see Tales on Xbox's stage. Banco has been one of the more supportive companies which is nice. I don't know what it'll take to get others on board, though. Again, I think it may come down to Microsoft just funding their own Japanese games, throwing them into Game Pass and tangibly proving that success can be had on this platform. Even then, that may not be enough.

Yeah it's just baffling and it sucks. I'd love, absolutely love to have Yakuza and Judgment on Xbox. Who knows, maybe someday Sega will see the light. One thing I definitely know for sure now, I'm gonna need that PS5 for the Japanese goodness next gen, or well, for the majority of it.

Oh I did forgot to mention we're also getting Samurai Showdown. Not my kinda game, not a fighter fan, but still nice nonetheless.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
From the Kotaku Gears article.

One of the hooks for all players of Gears 5 will be its story, which Fergusson takes a special interest in. Despite now overseeing a team of some 300 people and having obligations as a studio director, he still directs the game's voiceover sessions and edits the game's scripts.

isaaccs

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
You guys were fighting over what "later" and "near future" mean? Really? Later means in a minute, in an hour, in one year, in 10 years or in a million years. Near future means near future.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Bleeding Edge Alpha has credits tab. And in that tab it says all Ninja's. This includes everybody by the looks of it.
And the total is 113 people.

Going back to the basic of the thread haha.

Last edited:

Joseph

Jul 7, 2018
I wonder what the big announcement of X019 will be. Last years had to be Obsidian/InXile. I expect the announcement of that studio B. Sams was talking about or/and the reveal of the next Ninja Theory game, but that could be too soon.

Deleted member 38088

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I wonder what the big announcement of X019 will be. Last years had to be Obsidian/InXile. I expect the announcement of that studio B. Sams was talking about or/and the reveal of the next Ninja Theory game, but that could be too soon.
I think it may be time to start teasing next gen stuff. Not full reveals, but small teases to get people excited since it's close enough to the end of the year.

Also all Brad said he knows of another company being considered. That company can be Discord for all we know and not a game studio at all. And just because it's being considered doesn't mean it's going to happen.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I still wouldn't expect much from X019.

I think it's an event that will grow in size to what we used to get during the early days of the Xbox 360, but I think last year and this year will have been to re-establish the event - and next year onward we'll see the events shape up to be something great. I think at the most it's going to be the announcement of studio(s), in-depth gameplay for upcoming games, an Indie showcase, and games coming to Gamepass for PC and Xbox. I think if you're expecting more than that and maybe a reveal for a first party title - you're expecting too much.

If Microsoft handles the next generation as they handled the last generation, then we can expect an event earlier in 2020 to fully unveil the next Xbox - alongside some game reveals. And then e3 will be where they fully blow their load when it comes to what to expect from first party and 3rd party in the first 1-2 years of the console's existence.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
I still wouldn't expect much from X019.

I think it's an event that will grow in size to what we used to get during the early days of the Xbox 360, but I think last year and this year will have been to re-establish the event - and next year onward we'll see the events shape up to be something great. I think at the most it's going to be the announcement of studio(s), in-depth gameplay for upcoming games, an Indie showcase, and games coming to Gamepass for PC and Xbox. I think if you're expecting more than that and maybe a reveal for a first party title - you're expecting too much.

If Microsoft handles the next generation as they handled the last generation, then we can expect an event earlier in 2020 to fully unveil the next Xbox - alongside some game reveals. And then e3 will be where they fully blow their load when it comes to what to expect from first party and 3rd party in the first 1-2 years of the console's existence.
If I'm remembering right Booty/Spencer said in an E3 interview they have to balance when to show new or updates on XGS games, to save stuff for Gamescom (Gears Tactics, AOE 4 etc) and XO19. Spencer also said he heard the feedback about wanting to see new games at XO18, I thinks it's possible that we see at least one new project.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Bleeding Edge in the Dojo and Tutorial atm. And what the fuck. The game is so polished already. The animations the sounds, the look of the game. Hell even the Dojo has like crazy settings where you can alter all things like infinite supers, cooldowns etc. The voice overs are great also and also make sense gameplay wise with whay they say. MS got a great dev with NT if they even made this with a small team. Just shows Hellblade wasnt a fluke in terms of polish and what they can do with a small team.

edit: I love attention to detail. Zero Cool has like a hover car and a gun attached to it. And he controls it with a hovering panel. And when you shoot the gun. The panel becomes a mouse from like a keyboard and you see him also left click.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Bleeding Edge in the Dojo and Tutorial atm. And what the fuck. The game is so polished already. The animations the sounds, the look of the game. Hell even the Dojo has like crazy settings where you can alter all things like infinite supers, cooldowns etc. The voice overs are great also and also make sense gameplay wise with whay they say. MS got a great dev with NT if they even made this with a small team. Just shows Hellblade wasnt a fluke in terms of polish and what they can do with a small team.

edit: I love attention to detail. Zero Cool has like a hover car and a gun attached to it. And he controls it with a hovering panel. And when you shoot the gun. The panel becomes a mouse from like a keyboard and you see him also left click.

Thanks for the note, but it is making me jealous that I didn't get in on round one of the technical alpha :)

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I think XO19 would be a great opportunity to kick start Next-Gen Xbox Mindshare. More Scarlett news, more developer insight on their excitement of the generational leap to better hardware. Give us more gameplay on new, unnnaounced games taking advantage of Scarlett. Of course, showing some current games and what the target is with the new hardware (maybe).

you know, give any xbox fan a glimpse of what's next for Xbox. Services including Live, Gamepass, GWG, Multiplayer, OS, and etc. Now that i think about it ... i almost want to say we hear stuff about gamestack too? i think that is a bridge between PC and Xbox Consoles? Idk, but that's what my memory suggests. im probably wrong.

I'd say they should kind of paint a picture of the future of Xbox and what their goals are. We know they are actively getting studios and developers. We know they are committed into Gamepass Subscriptions. We know they are taking a more active approach with Personal Computers. We know they are allowing their developers creative freedom with the games they want to make.

but im sure im forgetting plenty of stuff that they can talk about. So, this is why i think it would be a great opportunity to kick start the Xbox next gen conversation. No comparisons, no pissing contest, just a conversation on what the xbox platform provides today and what they want to in the near future.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Bleeding Edge will have MTX. Two currencies with customization. One is only for mods. Those are bought with ingame curreny. And then there are also visual upgrades for you hoverboard. Like the look, emblems and different trails behind the hoverboard. Those use a different paid currency.

Apr 6, 2018
Are they only hiring men or.... I swear, every new employee I see here is a man....
You don't know who applied to the job, just hope they are the right men for that job
First look at whatever Rares second team is working on perhaps?
I see it more at 2020

They just hired two freshmen .
Simply the core staff needs experience, because newcomers need to learn from veterans, like in any job there are skill you can learn only working with someone with more experience.
Can't wait for Sept 6.

Here's what I would do. Scrap their current marketing plan because its not working, not enough hype for a new Gears game that is releasing on STEAM. They will get completely overshadowed by Borderlands 3 at the current rate.

Have a special event in late July talking about Gears 5 in Mexico similar to how Ghost Recon Breakpoint, COD MW, Destiny 2 announced etc. because they will get all the eyeballs, correct their E3 issue of no gameplay and get the hype machine back on track.

1. Show 30 mins of Campaign Gameplay.
2. Show Versus/more escape and a tease of Horde ( Full reveal at Gamescom in August)
3. Invite Digital Foundry to talk about the Graphics ( 4k 60fps), Raytracing, collaboration with AMD (Bring back the Gears as the graphical showcase hype of Xbox 360)

This will give them all the eyes, get reviewers/outlets/gamers/twitch/youtubers talking about the game.
But you don't know what they have, this is pure pride

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Bleeding Edge Alpha has credits tab. And in that tab it says all Ninja's. This includes everybody by the looks of it.
And the total is 113 people.

Going back to the basic of the thread haha.
Your comment confuses me a little, but 15-25 people was working on Bleeding Edge at a given time. 6 was the original when it first started.

I am however jealous that you got in the alpha though -_-

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Your comment confuses me a little, but 15-25 people was working on Bleeding Edge at a given time. 6 was the original when it first started.

I am however jealous that you got in the alpha though -_-
Yes. In the credits is like core dev people, developer, voice people,music etc. And further down it says like all ninja's. That includes everyone who works at Ninja Theory. And that total is 123.

Status
Not open for further replies.