• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not sure if this as been discussed but I thought it was a pretty good point. Xbox (Microsoft) has made some big games with Black heroes. Pretty cool..

Deleted member 69222

User requested account closure
Banned
May 14, 2020
Man, I miss Dead Rising. For me the series was a huge part of Xbox for two generations, but I guess now it's chilling with its (less fun) sister Lost Planet in video game hell.

I was hoping that MS one day would help Capcom revive it, but I guess they have their hands full with State of Decay. State of Decay is a good game, but I wish it had the charm of DR.

Of course their vision was to create a serious Zombie survival. Lacking the lightheartedness (or whatever you want to call it) of DR is not a flaw.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Man, I miss Dead Rising. For me the series was a huge part of Xbox for two generations, but I guess now it's chilling with its (less fun) sister Lost Planet in video game hell.

I was hoping that MS one day would help Capcom revive it, but I guess they have their hands full with State of Decay. State of Decay is a good game, but I wish it had the charm of DR.

Of course their vision was to create a serious Zombie survival. Lacking the lightheartedness (or whatever you want to call it) of DR is not a flaw.
I miss DR1 as well. Something about the later games and the push towards quirky weirdness kinda put me off.

Maybe if SoD pushed for way bigger hordes, it might work.

Quellyford

Banned
May 16, 2020
Gotta love spamming stick lifts but poking even on D is basically an automatic penalty. Yup! Charging is totally random too it seems at times... wish there was another nhl game lol.
Yup... I don't hate EA NHL games, I just wish there was another company that was pushing to innovate. It's a big problem across all sports games. Ryan McCaffrey and crew were even discussing this issue on their recent episode on Podcast Unlocked.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Not sure if this as been discussed but I thought it was a pretty good point. Xbox (Microsoft) has made some big games with Black heroes. Pretty cool..

I think the issue is more the lack of black protagonists rather than secondary characters and NPCs. Although there is Crackdown 3 I guess?

Honestly, it baffles me every day that there aren't more games with black protagonists. You look at Hollywood, which itself struggles in this regard, but you see black stars as protagonists filling cinema seats over the years, from Denzel Washington to Will Smith. So why not games?

Although, minority representation in general is terrible, with generic white dude with brown hair typically trumping everything else. As a redhead myself, I was amazed playing Fallen Order as I'm sure that's the first game I've played with a red-haired male protagonist. Although sad to see that the mod community was doing everything possible to allow you to change his hair colour.

TooLive

Jan 28, 2019
I think the issue is more the lack of black protagonists rather than secondary characters and NPCs. Although there is Crackdown 3 I guess?

Honestly, it baffles me every day that there aren't more games with black protagonists. You look at Hollywood, which itself struggles in this regard, but you see black stars as protagonists filling cinema seats over the years, from Denzel Washington to Will Smith. So why not games?

Although, minority representation in general is terrible, with generic white dude with brown hair typically trumping everything else. As a redhead myself, I was amazed playing Fallen Order as I'm sure that's the first game I've played with a red-haired male protagonist. Although sad to see that the mod community was doing everything possible to allow you to change his hair colour.
While it's certainly not perfect, Xbox has black lead or playable characters in; Halo, Gears, State of Decay 2, CD3, Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon, The Outer Worlds, etc., That alone is more than any other console maker.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everwild is so exciting imo. Rare is in real good place now. They know what kinda games they want to make, studio is grown also, crazy lessons from Sea of Thieves learned, Rare style graphics.
I keep playing SoT and think a Banjo game would be unbelievable with the same engine. Rare are is a brilliant place now, you see they are free to be as creative as they want, i personally think they're about to go through another renaissance, the mood just feels right.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Personally, would love to see Idris, Boyega or even Riz Ahmed as one of the leads if we're looking at Hollywood. Some good British talent for Fable at least :)

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
XSX drive is already around 3.7GB/s.
2.4GB/s is the sustained speed.
Thats why MS uses the sustained speed not the theorical target speed.
Well, that's unfortunate. Don't get me wrong, the XSX drive is plenty fast, but SSD technology is advancing so rapidly and in such a short amount of time, significantly faster SSDs (raw, uncompressed speed) will be available and affordable either by the time the XSX launches or very soon after. I'd like to have seen a bit more future-proofing in this area, since even if the initial manufacturing cost was high, it would decrease very soon, very fast.

Delryk

Oct 25, 2017
Yup... I don't hate EA NHL games, I just wish there was another company that was pushing to innovate. It's a big problem across all sports games. Ryan McCaffrey and crew were even discussing this issue on their recent episode on Podcast Unlocked.

Yah. They've been milking these sports series and more so NHL. We lost half the features going from 360 to X1 and yet still on the same shitty engine. I know it's EA Sports less popular game, but they're still making 2 billion in HUT which includes NHL. Fixes like better AI D and taking out the cheesy glitch goals that has been in it for years would make the game a million times better for a hockey nut. We're always saying "maybe next year", forking out another 60 bucks for minor updates and useless features like Ones. Lol.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
All new positions at inXile show Tustin, Orange County as HQ. (Much closer, about 10 minutes, to Blizzard, Obsidian, Ready at Dawn, Amazon Game Studios and many other studios, in comparison with 1h and half for old Newport Beach)

Link

Probably imminent announcement of relocation.
Obsidian x InXile

the crossover episode we need

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's unfortunate. Don't get me wrong, the XSX drive is plenty fast, but SSD technology is advancing so rapidly and in such a short amount of time, significantly faster SSDs (raw, uncompressed speed) will be available and affordable either by the time the XSX launches or very soon after. I'd like to have seen a bit more future-proofing in this area, since even if the initial manufacturing cost was high, it would decrease very soon, very fast.
I feel like you completely misunderstand what he said.

Quellyford

Banned
May 16, 2020
Yah. They've been milking these sports series and more so NHL. We lost half the features going from 360 to X1 and yet still on the same shitty engine. I know it's EA Sports less popular game, but they're still making 2 billion in HUT which includes NHL. Fixes like better AI D and taking out the cheesy glitch goals that has been in it for years would make the game a million times better for a hockey nut. We're always saying "maybe next year", forking out another 60 bucks for minor updates and useless features like Ones. Lol.
Yeah man. The changes are so incremental most people just buy once every few years. At the same time it's hard to blame the developers since they only have one year to develop the game, but something needs to change in sports game development because as consoles continue to advance (thus many games needing more development times), our sports games will have diminishing returns in terms of improvements in my opinion.

What I started doing is just buying a couple months after launch when they have their price dip. I always cross my fingers that NHL can make its way to Game Pass but with EA Access I don't think it'll ever happen. The only reason I still have hope is because Madden 20 is currently on xCloud, but that's a different service entirely. To be honest the only sports game I really care about is hockey anyway.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I feel like you completely misunderstand what he said.
No, I get it, he's saying this is already a PCI-e Gen 3 saturating drive, so there's no room for improvement (assuming the connection used doesn't support even higher bandwidths).

Not like it matters anyway since according to other posters I was wrong and Series X has already entered mass production.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
No, I get it, he's saying this is already a PCI-e Gen 3 saturating drive, so there's no room for improvement (assuming the connection used doesn't support even higher bandwidths).

Not like it matters anyway since according to other posters I was wrong and Series X has already entered mass production.
So what's the unfortunate for? it's already future-proof tier SSD inside XSX.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
So what's the unfortunate for? it's already future-proof tier SSD inside XSX.
It's unfortunate because significantly faster PCI-e Gen 4 drives will become common and affordable throughout 2021, which is right around the corner, and the XSX storage solution could leverage that along with the rest of the Velocity Architecture to be even faster than that without being too costly for Microsoft beyond the initial months.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Curious what prompts you to say this! I want to have hope, but EA Access seems to almost directly compete with Game Pass, and its introduction to Steam just means it'll be available on more platforms, nothing else. Am I misreading this?
Because it shows Steam is open to subscriptions from other parties on their store.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
It's unfortunate because significantly faster PCI-e Gen 4 drives will become common and affordable throughout 2021, which is right around the corner, and the XSX storage solution could leverage that along with the rest of the Velocity Architecture to be even faster than that without being too costly for Microsoft beyond the initial months.
It is Gen 4, the original leak for the SSD part on an architects linkedin is labeled as Gen 4.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

It's not really necessary for either company to "future proof" here, but Xbox could release faster expansion drives, there's nothing stopping them besides the player annoyance that games would then run better on some external storage than on internal storage. That occasionally happened with the Xbox One and PS4 already though.

The reason I say there's no need to "future proof" their storage, is because no one is going to design games that require anything more than the base sustained IO on either console, even if you can replace your PS5 hard drive with a faster one, your load times will be shorter, whoopie.

Personally I like the Xbox approach better, assuming the expansion drives aren't crazy expensive, I'm perfectly fine sacrificing speed here for the convenience of easily expandable storage.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not really necessary for either company to "future proof" here, but Xbox could release faster expansion drives, there's nothing stopping them besides the player annoyance that games would then run better on some external storage than on internal storage. That occasionally happened with the Xbox One and PS4 already though.

The reason I say there's no need to "future proof" their storage, is because no one is going to design games that require anything more than the base sustained IO on either console, even if you can replace your PS5 hard drive with a faster one, your load times will be shorter, whoopie.

Personally I like the Xbox approach better, assuming the expansion drives aren't crazy expensive, I'm perfectly fine sacrificing speed here for the convenience of easily expandable storage.
Not to mention, developers have to get used too making the jump from HDD to SSD and designing games to SSD's strength at the average speed and then have time to maximize it before attempting at faster speeds above the average speed at the time. It's likely going to take this entire next generation to really use it to it's utmost strength.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017

If technologies that strongly leverage I/O are easily scalable (talking about things that go beyond load times, like say, loading high quality assets further away, or loading in assets that are higher quality), it might be possible to bring enhancements dynamically to faster drives like you would see with a dynamic resolution system, making post-launch storage enhancements easy, convenient and actually well-used. I wonder if something like this scenario might play out.

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If technologies that strongly leverage I/O are easily scalable (talking about things that go beyond load times, like say, loading high quality assets further away, or loading in assets that are higher quality), it might be possible to bring enhancements dynamically to faster drives like you would see with a dynamic resolution system, making post-launch storage enhancements easy, convenient and actually well-used. I wonder if something like this scenario might play out.

The same question can be done for every other component. Why limite to 50CU when there is a 80CU coming soon that will drop the price as time goes by? Why not going for 32GB of Ram since it will be cheaper as well in a couple of years?

All the 3 players design their consoles according to what they think it's the best perf/price ratio.

Could XSX have a better ssd? Yes Could it have a better GPU? Yes More Ram? Yes

Final price? 1999€

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
The same question can be done for every other component. Why limite to 50CU when there is a 80CU coming soon that will drop the price as time goes by? Why not going for 32GB of Ram since it will be cheaper as well in a couple of years?

All the 3 players design their consoles according to what they think it's the best perf/price ratio.

Could XSX have a better ssd? Yes Could it have a better GPU? Yes More Ram? Yes

Final price? 1999€
Because more efficient CPUs or GPUs from AMD don't exist and heat dissipation is an issue, so increasing the power for those components means significantly more power consumption and thus heat. They can't do that without going for a significantly larger form factor. If there was an even more efficient but slightly too costly graphics technology available right now that would become much more affordable in a year or so, you bet they'd be using it already.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they will put Game Pass on steam, when they announced the Xbox app they highlighted that reason it existed was due to it bringing something unique to PC (ie Game Pass.) If they brought it to steam then there is no reason for it to exist, there are a couple of other bigger issues. EA is not a platform holder, so it makes more sense for them. For MS they still need to grow their platform (Xbox PC), the reason it can grow now is because of Game Pass being unique to it. Xbox selling their games traditionally on Steam as well as the Xbox app makes far less of a difference to them, they can also cover the game between both platforms through an Xbox Live account. EA access can afford to take a cut from their subscription revenue, MS will be working at a bigger loss and slimmer margins in the future. The Xbox apps DRM for Game Pass is also a factor, Game Pass and Steam (traditional purchases) held in the same marketplace also brings up a lot of issues between publishers, MS and Steam. How Game Pass is highlighted on the different platforms can also be a big issue, that is just some reasons quickly off the top of my head. You have to remember that Game Pass is a platform itself that needs to be completely cross compatible, EA access is not. I'm sure there is a lot more reasons, in the end MS still has to grow a platform and manage Game Pass sustainably.

Huh. Then I legitimately don't know why they didn't use an even faster drive. Wonder if we might see upgrades down the line.
It's very simple... cost, also the speed a drive is rated at is very rarely sustained and often quite a bit below that. So comparing those labelled speeds, to guaranteed minimum speeds is misleading. It should be pointed out it's 4.8gb/s with compression, again not comparable to PC where you will also find a lot of bottlenecks.

Example: that 4.8GB/s with compression SSD will almost certainly run faster than a rated 4.8GB/s (and/or higher) SSD on PC.

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Oh boy gamepass soon i hope

www.resetera.com

EA Access sub coming to Steam soon

From their Burnout Paradise Page
Doubt it. GP is a Trojan horse to get people using the Xbox app and ecosystem. There are also games on Game Pass PC which aren't on Steam due to EGS agreements.

And it's not like actual Origin Access Premier is coming to Steam, just this crappy half assed version EA Access which doesn't include day one titles etc.

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because more efficient CPUs or GPUs from AMD don't exist and heat dissipation is an issue, so increasing the power for those components means significantly more power consumption and thus heat. They can't do that without going for a significantly larger form factor. If there was an even more efficient but slightly too costly graphics technology available right now that would become much more affordable in a year or so, you bet they'd be using it already.

Everything tech wise will get cheaper as time goes by, it was one of your arguments regarding ssd so I don't see what is the issue regarding the GPU.

Again, form factor is a non issue, you could slap an AIO there and call it a day.

The reason why they went with their specific specs is because they feel it's the best compromise for price/performance cost. It would just be silly to add more costs just because the competitor has a superior SSD, same way why Sony will not put a more powerful GPU.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

Fair, there are other things that can be impacted besides load times, I just said load times because it was low hanging. But yeah, draw distance and asset streaming qualities can be scaled. Games can be improved by faster expansion drives or internal drives for PS5 for sure. My point is more that it's not going to impact game design in the way that the initial shift will, people may design games that rely on the high IO speed, but they won't do it beyond the initial speed, not for consoles. Minimum specs exist on PC, but could you imagine if Spiderman 2 required you to replace your internal barddrive? That'd be nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.