• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ForoBud

Jul 12, 2021
One more time : AAA/AA doesn't mean anything regarding the quality or the genre of a game. It's purely a matter of budget, and Ratchet & Clank is definitively AAA while Psychonauts 2 is definitively AA.
Which is my point. Who gives a f*ck how much a game cost?

Judge the game on its merits. And both of those games are comparable in many ways, only difference is one has slightly higher fidelity graphics.

But because one cost more to make, it can be counted in the list of games Sony released last year, and the other can't, because it cost less?

It was a shocking take from him. IMO of course.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
User banned (1 week): Continuous trolling an OT over a series of posts
Flight Sim is AA? 😭

You said they barely release games. Fact is, they released 6 first party games last year, and won Publisher of the Year, with a record high average rating for those games.

This is the reality.

So no, Microsoft don't 'barely release games'.
They barely release AAA games. Whether Flight Sim is AA or AAA isn't even relevant. Some people don't even consider it a game itself and it's definitely not something mass fans will gravitate towards so I don't see how that changes anything I said:

Halo Infinite should've got delayed again, it needed more time

Xbox should've planned 2022 better because the year looks horrific.

Where is the lie and trolling with what I said?

solis74

Banned
Jun 11, 2018
Indeed. By far my GOTY last year. Funnily enough, despite loving Ratchet too, I preferred Psychonauts 2, both being family friendly platformers.

But no doubt to the people in this thread calling Psychonauts 2 AA, Ratchet was AAA and so can be counted.

Despite the fact, as I said, they are both in the same genre, last roughly around the same time, and have almost identical Opencritic scores (Psychonauts is slightly higher).

indeed

SiamShade

Jul 11, 2020
Because the argument was literally 'Xbox barely release games'.

Let's say GOW:R gets delayed into next year, PlayStation, who according to that poster are the model Xbox need to follow, will have no first party games for almost 12 months. Is that acceptable?

Or is it simply the case that game development is tough, and despite best intentions, sometimes timetables don't work out as planned, and the correct decision is to delay games to ensure they are the best they can be.

And you say where are the games, as I mentioned in an earlier post, despite dates not being announced as of yet, Xbox are very likely still, to release four first party games this year.

I don't care about Sony or Playstation, otherwise I would be on theirs OT discussing Sony or Playstation. We're are at Xbox OT, so I only care about Xbox games and releases. If someone compared with Playstation, so my bad. This is irrelevant for sure. And I may be misinterpreting you, but I'm just trying to say that is not okay to rely on 2021 games to justify the pacing of releasing when 2022 don't have any games. The correct statement would be "Microsoft barely release games... on 2022", which is, until now, very true. And, based on the news today, we can't say for sure anything about "four first party games" this year.

And this is pretty much incredible frustrating comming from a company who buys a lot of studios, have lots of games in development, etc. They should have planned better, simple as that.

0dah

Apr 27, 2022
Planet Kreet
The leak was so brazen, hilarious and out of nowhere it feels like a once in a lifetime event. The way 0dah aka Todd Howard showed up and zapped Hevy out of existence was unbelievable. I still can't believe this all happened in our OT.

Personally I was just thinking the E3 thread title should reference it. I get the concerns around the negative discourse Hevy fed into though but I don't think it will matter in the end. Starfield will speak for itself and is basically going to be a guaranteed hit.
"never should have come here"

ForoBud

Jul 12, 2021
They barely release AAA games. Whether Flight Sim is AA or AAA isn't even relevant. Some people don't even consider it a game itself and it's definitely not something mass fans will gravitate towards so I don't see how that changes anything I said:

Halo Infinite should've got delayed again.

Where is the lie and trolling with what I said?
Genuinely can't tell if you're trolling me directly now at this stage?

Read back over those first two sentences, and see if you can spot the contradiction, and come back to me.

I mean........ What???? Flight Sim being AAA is irrelevant in a discussion about AAA games? I mean..... What??!!????

And then claim it isn't even really a game?

Dude, you're definitely trolling. You're just making stuff up at this stage to suit your argument.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Others are dooming, me I still stink Contraband will make this holiday, we are not the same.

latest

🥶

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
They must be aware that the narrative arround starfield and redfall is now negative, and that the show in the 12th is strong enough to change that narrative, if not announcing the delay before the showcase was very dumb imo. Usually these companies announce a delay after a showing or when there's been a few months of no news.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
One plus is now Starfield doesn't need to compete with Elden Ring for GOTY, hopefully BOTW 2 will be easier to best.

But I do hope MS has something big planned to make up for this, so the conversation can turn positive again.

solis74

Banned
Jun 11, 2018
Because the argument was literally 'Xbox barely release games'.

Let's say GOW:R gets delayed into next year, PlayStation, who according to that poster are the model Xbox need to follow, will have no first party games for almost 12 months. Is that acceptable?

Or is it simply the case that game development is tough, and despite best intentions, sometimes timetables don't work out as planned, and the correct decision is to delay games to ensure they are the best they can be.

And you say where are the games, as I mentioned in an earlier post, despite dates not being announced as of yet, Xbox are very likely still, to release four first party games this year.

this

ForoBud

Jul 12, 2021
I don't care about Sony or Playstation, otherwise I would be on theirs OT discussing Sony or Playstation. We're are at Xbox OT, so I only care about Xbox games and releases. If someone compared with Playstation, so my bad. This is irrelevant for sure. And I may be misinterpreting you, but I'm just trying to say that is not okay to rely on 2021 games to justify the pacing of releasing when 2022 don't have any games. The correct statement would be "Microsoft barely release games... on 2022", which is, until now, very true. And, based on the news today, we can't say for sure anything about "four first party games" this year.

And this is pretty much incredible frustrating comming from a company who buys a lot of studios, have lots of games in development, etc. They should have planned better, simple as that.
Sure, I don't think anybody in here is happy about the fact they have no games announced for release this year. But again, I was responding directly to somebody who was comparing them to Sony and Nintendo, hence my example above.

And of course we can't say for sure about the four releases until probably after the showcase, but I would be very confident in at least three of them. I think we'll see:

Forza Motorsport
Pentiment
Grounded
As Dusk Falls

Let's wait and see, and hopefully they'll have a surprise or two lined up as well.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So now Flight Simulator isn't even a game? What is it then? A book?
A Simulator.
They must be aware that the narrative arround starfield and redfall is now negative, and that the show in the 12th is strong enough to change that narrative, if not announcing the delay before the showcase was very dumb imo. Usually these companies announce a delay after a showing or when there's been a few months of no news.
It's to temper expectations before the showcase for those expecting game blowouts of these games that were scheduled to release this year.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised at the negativity. These games are getting the time they need to be the best they can be. That Microsoft is willing to delay them is really good news. It doesn't have to mean their studio management is troubled.

Now I do have faith that Microsoft has good 2022 announcements up their sleeve for the upcoming showcase. The problem is, if that's true , why the hell don't we know about it yet. You can't let the whole world think your system is a barren wasteland for half a year and then go "psych - here are some awesome 2022 games". Points to a marketing problem to me.

SiamShade

Jul 11, 2020
Sure, I don't think anybody in here is happy about the fact they have no games announced for release this year. But again, I was responding directly to somebody who was comparing them to Sony and Nintendo, hence my example above.

And of course we can't say for sure about the four releases until probably after the showcase, but I would be very confident in at least three of them. I think we'll see:

Forza Motorsport
Pentiment
Grounded
As Dusk Falls

Let's wait and see, and hopefully they'll have a surprise or two lined up as well.

Hoping for the best.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
Genuinely can't tell if you're trolling me directly now at this stage?

Read back over those first two sentences, and see if you can spot the contradiction, and come back to me.

I mean........ What???? Flight Sim being AAA is irrelevant in a discussion about AAA games? I mean..... What??!!????

And then claim it isn't even really a game?

Dude, you're definitely trolling. You're just making stuff up at this stage to suit your argument.
You're still ignoring my two main points, which is:

So now Flight Simulator isn't even a game? What is it then? A book?
Some people would consider Microsoft Flight Simulator as a Simulator.

SiamShade

Jul 11, 2020
Now I do have faith that Microsoft has good 2022 announcements up their sleeve for the upcoming showcase. The problem is, if that's true , why the hell don't we know about it yet. You can't let the whole world think your system is a barren wasteland for half a year and then go "psych - here are some awesome 2022 games". Points to a marketing problem to me.

I think this is the key. This sells the wrong message and some people are more susceptible to hype than others. Right now, for me, IMO, Xbox isn't in a good place. Maybe in 2024 or 2025 when all the games are releasing or if they really surprise us in june. I wouldn't run to the streets to buy a console based on their current line-up.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Forza Motorsport is coming because it doesn't need to wait around for a last gen version 😎

Oct 12, 2020
What if Forza doesn't even launch this year. I know we're all kind of treating it like it's a foregone conclusion that it will but...

That thought has begun to creep into the very edges of my mind. It's not a very welcome thought, to say the least.

As some others have said, hopefully there will be some clarity in terms of the Xbox landscape immediately following the showcase. I think I'll be able to keep my shit together until then. 😊

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
There's going to be a deep dive into the gameplay! They literally say so in the announcement. If not at E3 when are they going to properly reveal the gameplay, at the game awards?

Jan 27, 2022
I'd argue many indie games these days meet my needs better than most AAA titles. But I understand why people are upset. But people need to remember - would you rather have a more polished and possibly a better game that's delayed or a rushed game that has issues at launch? I hope by now, most people would pick the first option.
Yup. I get where they're coming from as well --- large open world games like Starfield and Redfall are desired among players. But now that Xbox has delayed them, we can't ignore or bash smaller titles that Xbox has and will put out (which are often better games!).

ForoBud

Jul 12, 2021
You're still ignoring my two main points, which is:

A Simulator.
One, a completely subjective point that ignores the context around the service elements and the fact that if they delayed it a year, would have still launched it as they did in December, and would be a year behind in terms of listening to community feedback and improving. But sure, they could have, but that's all being said with the benefit of hindsight after Redfall and Starfield get delayed.

Point number two, again, ignoring the context of... Game development is hard. You could have 12 games scheduled to release in a year, with the best of planning, and still have to delay them all in order to focus on polish and ensuring the best possible product gets released to consumers.

Or should they have just rushed them out the door and risked another Cyberpunk situation?

And finally, I wasn't ignoring your main points, as I was responding directly to your, and I quote, Xbox barely releases games comment.

Which, again, was factually incorrect.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
What if Forza doesn't even launch this year. I know we're all kind of treating it like it's a foregone conclusion that it will but...
I don't think anyone should be treating anything as a forgone conclusion at this point. We're exactly a month away from finding out what the lineup and roadmap is going to be, so not long to wait to know for sure.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please explain how do you plan better? Game development at this scale is difficult yet alone when you're starting from scratch with a new IP and there are so many moving parts that complicate everything not to mention the impact the pandemic has had.

You can't complain on one hand Halo Infinite should've been delayed further and then complain when Redfall and Starfield are delayed to complete and polish everything and shore up as many bugs and fixes.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
I'm surprised at the negativity. These games are getting the time they need to be the best they can be. That Microsoft is willing to delay them is really good news. It doesn't have to mean their studio management is troubled.

This was obviously a last minute change since everyone at Xbox was still touting the November date very recently. There is no way they have anything significant ready to fill 2 massive gaps in their lineup. The best we can hope for is Forza 8 and maybe them getting some emergency funds for some Game Pass Day 1s.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
One plus is now Starfield doesn't need to compete with Elden Ring for GOTY, hopefully BOTW 2 will be easier to best.

But I do hope MS has something big planned to make up for this, so the conversation can turn positive again.
I don't really care about who wins the Keighley award, but at least it will make Starfield better in the end. *inhale more copium* ahh, that's the good stuff

But I don't see what they could have up their sleeve for this year. Wolfenstein 3 is a pipe dream. Contraband as well (I think Contraband will be summer next year at best). The best case scenario this year is Sawyer's game, Forza, and As Dusk Falls. Maybe some kind of remastering effort like has been rumored. I don't think Halo BR will be ready either.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
maybe Redfall and Starfield do get like 15 minutes of deep dive each this E3 because there's nothing else to fill in the remaining 90 minutes 😭

Status
Not open for further replies.