• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Impossible to say when there's been no hints either way. I'm thinking about whether or not to buy Journey to the Savage Planet or wait to see if it hits Game Pass. Who knows?
Yeah you're right ofc. Just wishful thinking. I was just thinking maybe the publisher would be a hint of whether or not it would come. 🤞

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
Those games in the "Leaving soon" section, do they usually leave the service at the end of the month? Or can it be any day from now?

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Impossible to say when there's been no hints either way. I'm thinking about whether or not to buy Journey to the Savage Planet or wait to see if it hits Game Pass. Who knows?

505 games sure tend to end up on the service.... i'd wait a month and see if Control really appears. I'm digigng Savage Planet though, and it's only 30 bones

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
If you have downloaded the games already, can you still play for a short amount of days after the game is removed from the service or am I going mad?

I remember reading people talk about something like that, but Im not sure anymore

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
If you have downloaded the games already, can you still play for a short amount of days after the game is removed from the service or am I going mad?

I remember reading people talk about something like that, but Im not sure anymore
I believe, completely unconfirmed, that if you are offline and not connected to the internet that there may be a grace period. But typing that out.. it seems.. unlikely? Hmm iono :D

Windu

Oct 25, 2017

I think it checks your subscription status every 30 days. So if you are offline, then I'd guess you'd have 30 days to play them.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Gris is not the type of game that should hook me. Wasn't my aesthetic and didnt even know what genre it was at first. The music kept me playing. Eventually the true gameplay loop revealed itself. Crazy good art. Game is mesmerizing.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gris is not the type of game that should hook me. Wasn't my aesthetic and didnt even know what genre it was at first. The music kept me playing. Eventually the true gameplay loop revealed itself. Crazy good art. Game is mesmerizing.
Now all we need is an Xbox port, so I can buy it and play it again, gain achievements, and support the dev.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Man I fought many a boss battles from games ranging from Bloodborne to DeS to Ninja Gaiden and I can confidently say that A Plague's mechanics were not designed for this boss fight shit, esp. what I am sure is the final boss fight with too much going on at once. Will try again later or just uninstall it.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Man I fought many a boss battles from games ranging from Bloodborne to DeS to Ninja Gaiden and I can confidently say that A Plague's mechanics were not designed for this boss fight shit, esp. what I am sure is the final boss fight with too much going on at once. Will try again later or just uninstall it.

Yeah, my only worries are around the bosses. I've had to fight only one so far and it was painful.

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Children of Morta, Sea Salt, A Plague Tale were amazing additions to GamePass in January, but the wait for Yakuza has been horrible. Just give me Japan Vibes, Xbox!

And, man, Indivisible is gorgeous and the gameplay is very solid... But holy shit, the voice acting and dialogues are just horrible. Totally turned me off the game, and that sucks because I was really enjoying it. Maybe I'll just mute the audio and play while using Spotify...

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he just have two attacks and three phases? Both his attacks can be easily dodged by moving left or right while keeping a distance from him. If he makes fire fall then you just extinguish it before sending a pile to attack him. Phase 1, 2 and 3 also use the same moves every time so it's not that much to memorize.

I thought the last two bosses were cool and unique, at least if we accept that the story took the shark jumping approach towards the end.

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
Naughty Dog games are incredible; The Last of Us is an all-time great. No idea why you wouldn't give a shit what was happening in that game. Your loss I guess.
There's a "been there, done that" feeling to all of their games. Great set pieces and performances, but they essentially just take movies and give them new skins. People seem to love it and that's great. It's just not for me.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
That's a truly bizarre take. But you can have your opinion I guess.

They've made those comparisons themselves though. It doesn't mean it's a bad game, but hardly bizarre for someone to be a bit bored by games that are just trying to be medium-shifts of existing movies.

"The first in the series, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, is the kind of game that Josh Scherr, who now has worked at Naughty Dog for nearly 15 years, had wanted to make for a long time. "I absolutely loved Raiders of the Lost Ark as a kid," he says. "I saw it in the theater when I was 10 years old. I've always loved that [style of] romantic adventure." But before they could make the game, they had to sell Sony on the concept."

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I also share that sentiment.
I find that Naughty Dog games are technical marvels with amazing craft and polish but I find them souless.

Soulless lol. To me, anyone who can call The Last of Us soulless is missing a soul himself (kidding!). But really, that's an insane complaint to lodge against TLoU. That game is oozing character, atmosphere, and personality.

They've made those comparisons themselves though. It doesn't mean it's a bad game, but hardly bizarre for someone to be a bit bored by games that are just trying to be medium-shifts of existing movies.

"The first in the series, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, is the kind of game that Josh Scherr, who now has worked at Naughty Dog for nearly 15 years, had wanted to make for a long time. "I absolutely loved Raiders of the Lost Ark as a kid," he says. "I saw it in the theater when I was 10 years old. I've always loved that [style of] romantic adventure." But before they could make the game, they had to sell Sony on the concept."

Uncharted being inspired by a movie does not equal the Uncharted series and The Last of Us simply being movie ripoffs. That is beyond silly. They stand on their own completely, and in the case of TLoU is one of gaming's absolute best works.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like Uncharted 1-3, but Last of Us's intro is anything but nuanced. I get more emotional from the Dead Island trailer.

The prologue in The Last of Us is widely considered one of the absolute best openings to a game in history.

The awful takes in this thread are kind of a joke, but I guess it IS an Xbox thread so not totally surprising. The Last of Us is considered one of the best games of all time, but you guys can continue with your hot takes.

Oct 27, 2017
Unistalled Shadow of War after 20 minutes. Awful game. The tank like character movement was so off putting. Extremely generic game.
Also installed Monster Hunter World. WTF we can't pause this game even in solo play?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The prologue in The Last of Us is widely considered one of the absolute best openings to a game in history.

The awful takes in this thread are kind of a joke, but I guess it IS an Xbox thread so not totally surprising. The Last of Us is considered one of the best games of all time, but you guys can continue with your hot takes.

I don't think the thread someone is posting in matters to what their taste is. Everyone is different and sometimes even the most popular games with numerous accolades just don't jive with people. So lets not make vast generalizations on our fellow posters.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Soulless lol. To me, anyone who can call The Last of Us soulless is missing a soul himself (kidding!). But really, that's an insane complaint to lodge against TLoU. That game is oozing character, atmosphere, and personality.

Uncharted being inspired by a movie does not equal the Uncharted series and The Last of Us simply being movie ripoffs. That is beyond silly. They stand on their own completely, and in the case of TLoU is one of gaming's absolute best works.

You get really defensive about ND games for some reason. Uncharted was refreshing as hell at the time - I loved it. In fact, for video games, it was almost entirely novel in terms of being "like a movie", with coherent plot, extremely well-voiced characters who were fun to listen to, etc. And this was explicitly part of the pitch. Do you remember the Uncharted 2 commercial Sony made where the guy is talking to the camera saying "my girlfriend wants to watch me play every night, she hasn't figured out it's not a movie!"

So a couple folks pointed out that playing a game that's just rehashing what movies have done already isn't their cup of tea. Is that really so hard to understand? It's not a "hot take" just because you disagree with it.

And yes, same goes for Last of Us. I fucking loved that game, even bought it for a friend just to try to get him to play it. Doesn't mean the plot is more than a collection of tropes already seen in film, and that someone therefore might reasonably feel bored by it.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019

Whilst I enjoyed TLOU and think it was very well made and the story was (largely) good, it is not impossible to think it not the greatest thing since sliced bread. The fact this is an 'Xbox thread' is largely immaterial if people are being sensible and are allowed their own views, rather than the bullshit Era groupthink that, sure, considers TLOU a great game, and rightly so, but is endlessly restrictive and demanding about what we're 'allowed' to like and dislike.

It's also not a hot take if the game came out years ago.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
as i sit here and type, i can't actually recall what were the major 'deep' and 'emotional' parts of The Last of Us (or Uncharted 1-3). this isn't a troll post, i genuinely genuinely can't remember (i do remember man getting injured, girl in snow, baddies show up... and there was a bit in the hospital. oh, and i do remember the intro which was excellent)

i can however remember the big parts of a number of other games quite clearly

also on this subject, i recently played and finished in one sitting What Remains of Edith Finch... now that's a game which is narratively effecting, and one i will never forget

Dingotech

Oct 25, 2017
Sea Salt achievements look rough. A lot of low % ones. Best one is like 11%, most are way under 1%

There is a reason for that, the achievements are currently bugged on Xbox One and none of them are unlocking.

I've played through most of the game and should have earned a whole bunch of them, but I'm currently at zero.

I'll go back and play the game again once they patch it (hopefully they do!).

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
There is a reason for that, the achievements are currently bugged on Xbox One and none of them are unlocking.

I've played through most of the game and should have earned a whole bunch of them, but I'm currently at zero.

I'll go back and play the game again once they patch it (hopefully they do!).
Oh wow. That's crap then. I'll hold off playing until it's ever fixed then.

Kaolo

Dec 4, 2018
Strasbourg
Just finished A Plague Tale: Innocence, a really good experience with incredible visuals and great voice actors (played in french). The way it's divided into chapters of about an hour also helps with the pacing and actually finishing the game. Truly a must play of the gamepass
except if you hate rats

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

People offering different perspectives makes conversations interesting. Especially about something extremely subjective. "This thread" is just gamers with opinions. I was bored shitless playing BOTW and Red Dead. Not following public consensus doesnt make my take "awful".

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ur an awful take

Honestly though, I hate that Naughty Dog has gone for more dramatic stuff. Lol @ "Xbox thread". I vastly prefer the UC trilogy to UC4 and TLOU as a whole. I don't mind dramatic stuff that's supposed to be sad but TLOU opening is so hamfisted. Like I can hear the writers in the back of my head, "Please feel sad at this moment".

Like, I'm a baby that cries at children's cartoons but TLOU just doesn't do it for me whatsoever. Character deaths in general rarely do, especially when I've known them for less than five minutes.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Comes back into a Xbox thread.

Sees nothing but TLOU/naughty dog posts

What in the fiery fuck is going on in here lol? Got me excited thinking tlou was somehow coming to GP or something....

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
My only gripe with Plague Tale is that I suck at the stealth. It's actually the same problem I had with The Last of Us (which as others have mentioned, is a very good comparison). The story and characters are fantastic, I just wish I wasn't getting so frustrated with the checkpoints and having to re-do sequences so frequently.

I'm up to chapter XI now though, so I guess I don't have too much more stealth to go. Looking forward to seeing how the plot wraps up.

Vetinari

Banned
Oct 31, 2019

The same way that millions think that Marvel movies are great cinema and people like Martin Scorcese and many movie buffs think that they are just very well-made theme-park rides.

Spacecowboy

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Children of Morta, what a fantastic little game

Towards the end the difficulty took a nose dive but it was still enjoyable

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I liked the last of us, but I didn't think the story was anything great tbh. And this being an "xbox thread" has nothing to do with it, I'm a bigger Sony fan anyway, and I play all my game pass games on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.