• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
The rubber breaks apart causing the grips to fall off. Even if you glue them back down, they won't stay put because it's the rubber falling apart. I've only had this happen with my Black elite, not my white one, but I've had to replace the side panels twice and the back panel once because the grips just started "flopping" off.

They during the E3 after it was revealed that they have apparently made changes to the quality of rubber and how it's adhered to the new controller so it hopefully won't be an issue anymore.
i have a suspicion that the White model got fixed in the rubber department. Cause mine is perfect still after a year of use.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
I bought OG Elite controller on release and I must have been really lucky because the rubber never peeled off to this day, and I used it a lot for the past 4 years.
What broke was the infamous bumper buttons which were badly designed, so I bought a Chinese knockoff replacement - they work, but it does not feel the same.

927208d8-57b8-4463-bbd7-1863f66641db.jpg

This sliver of plastic between bumpers was designed to break.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah mine not only came off but it actually expanded so that I couldn't glue it back down.
Yeah, lol. I realized I forgot to mention that and was considering editing it in.
I took pictures last time I bought a set of new side-panels and you can clearly see the air bubbles because of the expanding rubber. I guess it's possible to cut it down to size maybe? but I found it's really difficult to do and I just couldn't cut it down to size perfectly and it'd either still be just too big causing bubbles still, or just too small which was worse because it left a gap.
D30rAWI.jpg

i have a suspicion that the White model got fixed in the rubber department. Cause mine is perfect still after a year of use.
Thanks for that. I've been wanting to get people's impressions on their white controllers, but the couple times I asked I never got a response. Yeah, by now, as long as I've had the white one, the black one had already at least started giving me grip problems and my white one is still perfect too.

I bought elite controller on release and I must have been really lucky because the rubber never peeled off to this day, and I used it a lot.
What broke was the infamous bumper buttons which were badly designed, so I bought a Chinese knockoff replacement - they work, but it does not feel the same.
I didn't have a problem with my bumpers, but I replaced mine anyways with matte black ones from one of the phantom series controllers (and the matching triggers too) just so it'd match the white one more. I think it looks better all black and not with the silver top.
udl6u4E.jpg
Also re: your other post. Yeah, I hope Brook can make another updated wireless adapter since the first one looked so cool (I still haven't gotten one yet though). I just wonder if it'll be harder for them since they won't have all that room to fill the battery compartment this time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So after using this for a few hours... Yeah, this is amazing. Easily the best controller ever made.

• Feels incredible in the hand
  • Build quality is second-to-none (but we'll see how it holds up in the coming months)
  • Profiles are simple and elegant to implement
  • Adjustable stick tension and shorter hair triggers are a game changer
  • I LOVE the charging dock. To just casually set my controller into its case when I'm done playing & hear that familiar haptic feedback to indicate it's charging is so satisfying
They've really thought of everything from top to bottom with this product. It feels complete. Well done, Microsoft.

Manac0r

Oct 30, 2017
UK
Been enjoying the incremental upgrade v2 is to v1, but truth be told I still find myself missing the Wolverine Ultimate - it feels a bit more sturdier and if it wasn't wired, would probably be my go to pad.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
So after using this for a few hours... Yeah, this is amazing. Easily the best controller ever made.

• Feels incredible in the hand
  • Build quality is second-to-none (but we'll see how it holds up in the coming months)
  • Profiles are simple and elegant to implement
  • Adjustable stick tension and shorter hair triggers are a game changer
  • I LOVE the charging dock. To just casually set my controller into its case when I'm done playing & hear that familiar haptic feedback to indicate it's charging is so satisfying
They've really thought of everything from top to bottom with this product. It feels complete. Well done, Microsoft.

Nice

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Been enjoying the incremental upgrade v2 is to v1, but truth be told I still find myself missing the Wolverine Ultimate - it feels a bit more sturdier and if it wasn't wired, would probably be my go to pad.
Thing I always loved about that controller (without ever actually using one) is the "audio control panel" at the bottom like the old adapter you used to have to use with the launch era controllers for a headset.
I loved having a dedicated mute button, with an indicator, right on the controller. My v-moda cable has a mute switch but I always have to like... fumble around and look for it and it's still not as easy as just pressing the big fat mute button connected to the controller.

• To just casually set my controller into its case when I'm done playing & hear that familiar haptic feedback to indicate it's charging is so satisfying
I'm a big "rechargeable AAs" guy, but that does sound really satisfying, lol.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thing I always loved about that controller (without ever actually using one) is the "audio control panel" at the bottom like the old adapter you used to have to use with the launch era controllers for a headset.
I loved having a dedicated mute button, with an indicator, right on the controller. My v-moda cable has a mute switch but I always have to like... fumble around and look for it and it's still not as easy as just pressing the big fat mute button connected to the controller.
I believe (and I may be wrong) you could map one of the shift keys on the Elite Controller to mute & unmute your headset microphone.
I'm a big "rechargeable AAs" guy, but that does sound really satisfying, lol.
It is soooo satisfying. Honestly one of my favorite parts of the controller, lol.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I believe (and I may be wrong) you could map one of the shift keys on the Elite Controller to mute & unmute your headset microphone.

It is soooo satisfying. Honestly one of my favorite parts of the controller, lol.
Oh, I think you're right about that. I believe it's one of the "actions." Some of the actions are weird though, like "See friends list" and "Send message." I guess they'd make sense for an "out of game" profile though.

It's... it's just not the same to me as having a big fat dedicated mute button though.

Just thinking about it is literally making me smile, lol.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I'm done with elite controllers. I've been through three of them. Perhaps I grip and press down too hard, but the stick drift and constant shoulder buttons breaking and grips coming loose made me give up on it. I use a third party controller now with paddles and has lasted me a lot longer.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
oh, is that what that little battery pack looking thing is? A charging dock? lol, I was trying to figure out "...what the fuck is this thing", I thought it was some weird second battery pack or something but it didn't seem to go in anywhere. I have a USB hub that I use to charge phones and headsets and stuff so just added the USB-C cable to that, will have to play with the dock thing. It really does look like a battery pack.

I agree the v2 feels really good, only played a few hours of Outer Worlds on PC last night and it felt nice and "right" in my hands, it feels a little smaller than the v1 which always felt a tiny bit too big to me. I'm not sure yet how to connect it via bluetooth or if I should, the controller just automatically started working with my xbox pc dongle (didn't even have to pair it, kinda weird) and I have to imagine thats faster than over bluetooth?

I'm sorta thinking of maybe hooking it in via cable to my X and using it wirelessly on my PC, not sure if that will work or not.

I took the paddles off my v1, I know thats dumb but they always felt like they were sticking out too much and bothered me. the v2 paddles feel smaller and tucked away a bit better, they don't bother me at all so far although I don't know if I'd actually ever use them. Maybe train myself to do so.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
The controller is impressively built. All of the buttons, weight, feel, smell is all so good :p Played a game of fortnite and killed many people in close quarter combat since i can build, jump, edit without losing sight of my enemy. Keeping my thumb on the right stick no matter what is god send i can't go back to a normal controller. This needs to be standardized on all controllers to have paddles haha

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm done with elite controllers. I've been through three of them. Perhaps I grip and press down too hard, but the stick drift and constant shoulder buttons breaking and grips coming loose made me give up on it. I use a third party controller now with paddles and has lasted me a lot longer.
That's kind of one of the points of the Series 2 though, no? To correct those reliability issues. Time will tell I guess, though.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The range of the bluetooth connection sucks, it cant even go to the other side of a smallish bedroom. PS4 controllers are fine at that range and so are my headphones. I can use a USB extension cable to move the bluettoth adapter closer but still annoying

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know how people can comfortably use all four of the paddles in the back.
Also, had to return mine as soon as I got it - one of the paddles would only register maybe 40% of my inputs on my unit, or would only register inputs when hit at a certain angle. Wouldn't even really make a tactile sound.

I will say that the 'shooter' sticks feel good this time around. The dome and the tall one feel really nice at the new Medium sensitivity.

CyReN

Oct 25, 2017
Try grabbing a straw and slit open the sides (length wise) so it spreads open like a mop and work it around the button. Sometimes the rubber membrane around the face buttons on the xb1 controller gets pinched and causes the buttons to stick.

Just tried this, seems to helped a lot with it. Thanks!

------------------

Worth another shot - for those that own the controller, can someone test and see if you see adjust your left joystick with just the joystick itself? Haven't heard if mine is faulty or is this an actual feature for just the left joystick? Not talking about the adjustment tool feature. Here's video if it helps

EliVilla

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Anyone play FFXIV with this or the older control on PC? From what I gather here looks like you can't use the paddles as separate inputs?

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I bought OG Elite controller on release and I must have been really lucky because the rubber never peeled off to this day, and I used it a lot for the past 4 years.

927208d8-57b8-4463-bbd7-1863f66641db.jpg

This sliver of plastic between bumpers was designed to break.
It's crazy how poorly designed the bumpers are this generation.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone play FFXIV with this or the older control on PC? From what I gather here looks like you can't use the paddles as separate inputs?

here's everything i can remap the paddle buttons too

KsF3IDX.jpg

(the only thing below menu is View and Unmapped)

so yeah I assume you can't set it to something unique, although you could map it to dpad buttons so your hand never has to go off the sticks

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to picking mine up today. I'm a little worried about the bluetooth issues since I have random disconnection issues using the MS wireless dongle (no issues at all on my 1X) and was hoping bluetooth would fix it. Other than that and the grips eventually falling off the original has been by far my favorite controller this gen.

EliVilla

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
USA
here's everything i can remap the paddle buttons too

KsF3IDX.jpg

(the only thing below menu is View and Unmapped)

so yeah I assume you can't set it to something unique, although you could map it to dpad buttons so your hand never has to go off the sticks
As long as I can remap the dpad I guess that's good enough for me. Thanks!

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to picking mine up today. I'm a little worried about the bluetooth issues since I have random disconnection issues using the MS wireless dongle (no issues at all on my 1X) and was hoping bluetooth would fix it. Other than that and the grips eventually falling off the original has been by far my favorite controller this gen.

i have the same random disconnect problem with my dongle, i fixed it by moving the dongle to a different USB port. no idea why that works. It was even a port in the back of the PC which you would think would be "worse"

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Just tried this, seems to helped a lot with it. Thanks!

------------------

Worth another shot - for those that own the controller, can someone test and see if you see adjust your left joystick with just the joystick itself? Haven't heard if mine is faulty or is this an actual feature for just the left joystick? Not talking about the adjustment tool feature. Here's video if it helps

Mine does not turn at all! I don't believe it's a feature unfortunately.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
As long as I can remap the dpad I guess that's good enough for me. Thanks!
I've never used it, and I hadn't even heard of it until this thread, but it appears there is a program called reWASD if you're just going to be using it on PC that allows you to map keyboard keys to the paddles.

Again, though... I have no experience with it and it doesn't look like it's quite ready to use with the Series 2 quite yet, but they're working on it.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
My A button after a few hours of use is not sticking anymore. I was unhappy about it at first but I think it was dragging a bit on the rubber as it came back up. Such a minor issue that seemed major at first given the price of the controller. I played some destiny with it on PC yesterday and it will not replace M+KB for me but the adjustments and changes make a huge difference for those that love to use controllers for FPS games on the PC.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
That's kind of one of the points of the Series 2 though, no? To correct those reliability issues. Time will tell I guess, though.
Is there a teardown showing that the shoulder buttons aren't plastic? I haven't google searched it, so forgive me for my laziness. But, if so - fantastic.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a teardown showing that the shoulder buttons aren't plastic? I haven't google searched it, so forgive me for my laziness. But, if so - fantastic.
There was a video teardown, I think it got moved to this thread, but they pointed out something about the shoulder buttons that were supposed to "fix..." something.
Lemme skim through it and see if I can find it.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
The new paddles alone are worth the upgrade for me. I ended up not using the paddles a lot on my old Elite because of accidental presses being so easy. The hefty snap of these is way better than the light click of the old ones. Across the board everything feels significantly better, and the charging case is the absolute best. Could not be happier.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Really nice. The paddles are a little smaller than I would like but Ive adjusted already.

Loved the Elite 1, but had the pad popping out issue with it too.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
ah, seems like the thing I remember seeing was that thy just added a latch to keep the bumpers from flaring out and breaking? They still look like plastic.
Will have to see how well that solution is, I guess.

time-coded embed

He talks about the bumpers at 4:20 too (nice), but he was just basically going over how they all worked and pressed the tact switch comparatively.
Really nice. The paddles are a little smaller than I would like but Ive adjusted already.
You could just use your old paddles in the new controller if that's a better feel for you (unless you sold your old one I guess lol).

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like how the charging dock or something in the controller is slightly magnetic, so it kinda sucks in the controller when mounting. Very satisfying.

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is a really stupid question, but is anyone trying to put the charge cable in the controller case?
I tried to wrap the cable up the way it was packaged in the box, so I could stick it in the case with the controller.
I couldn't fit it in the netting pouch, and it looks like the only place it might fit is at the bottom of the case, right above the accessory kit. I don't really want to put it there because I don't want the connectors on either end of the cable to scratch/ding up the controller.
Am I supposed to 'loosely' wrap it up, so it'll fit in the netting, or is it not supposed to be in the case at all?

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is a really stupid question, but is anyone trying to put the charge cable in the controller case?
I tried to wrap the cable up the way it was packaged in the box, so I could stick it in the case with the controller.
I couldn't fit it in the netting pouch, and it looks like the only place it might fit is at the bottom of the case, right above the accessory kit. I don't really want to put it there because I don't want the connectors on either end of the cable to scratch/ding up the controller.
Am I supposed to 'loosely' wrap it up, so it'll fit in the netting, or is it not supposed to be in the case at all?

I had this issue yesterday and I just said fuck it and left the cable out. Honestly if the cable was loosly wrapped I imagine it would fit at the top.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm gonna post a full analysis of the controller after I've used it for a while longer but I'm a little annoyed there's no cross compatibility with the analog sticks for the Series 1. So if I want different/new sticks I'm forced to buy more.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Can I just ask how?! I tried to do the same last night but could not get Steam to recognise the inputs correctly. It was all over the shop, even when I plugged in with the cable.

I did not remap any of the buttons I only did hardware changes such as stick tension and trigger length. I just turned the controller on windows recognized it via the wireless dongle I have for my normal Xbox controller and I had no issues with Steam. I was going to mess with button mapping and changing tonight.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think the intention is that you carry the cable in the case. It was never a good fit with the V1 either.

On another note: this controller feels PHENOMENAL. Wow. Big setup up from V1. The paddles are SO much clickier, and I like the 360 sticks included. I also quite enjoy this convex stick much more than the V1 convex stick -- it feels much closer to something like a GameCube stick.

The adjustable tension is really amazing as well, as is the 3-point triggers. I also love that they have a "default" mode now, but hate that A is the left paddle and B is the right paddle. In all of my profiles I do the opposite.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like REWASD is bugged right now with the series 2 but buy it when they fix it. You can remap the paddles to anything with it. Right now I have mine to back and forward mouse buttons which I use like the context sensitive touch pad clicks on the DS4 to cycle forward/backward on the hud and for push to talk discord. Also have a profile for music so I can switch tracks without alt tabbing out of the game.

BO8PTJP.png