• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say true value is relative to personal tastes.

As such I could see an argument made for any current gaming platform, depending on what you're into.

Oct 27, 2017
I think we all agree that the gamers perception on the Xbox brand, after the disaster of the beggining of this generation is changing with all the efforts made to the strategy.

A healthy Xbox is good for the players and dont let other brands sleep on the sucess. Competition is good for all of us, making companies reimagining strategies and services to offer/sell. MS sure is doing that.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Value is always going to be pretty subjective.

The PS3 was a good value at launch compared to the price of other blu-ray players but that still didn't really help it sell a bunch.

In the end if what you're offering isn't selling more than what the competition is selling, then I'd probably say that it isn't actually the best value for the masses.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
The value is definitely there. The much younger me that had virtually no money and much more free time would appreciate stuff like Game Pass and EA Access alot more.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, switch feels like the best value to me because I feel like I'm buying a console game and portable game for 1 price

Guess it just depends how you look at it

OP
OP
harz-marz

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
I tried to give a balanced view in my original OP and clearly stated that I owned all consoles. I've also been a PC gamer in the past.

I still stand by my views and would argue that the value is better than PC gaming due to the high cost barrier of entry. Yes I can build a cheaper PC and match it with console settings but this involves hassle, tweaking of settings etc.

If you forget about the price barrier of entry then PC is an extremely strong value option for gamers.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
If I didn't care for the Switch and PS4 exclusives I'd probably switch to Xbox but so far all three of Microsoft's consoles haven't had enough specific games for me to get one espeically when I also have a PC I game on.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, legit forget about PC.

No sub to play online is huge by itself.

Game pass seems like a good value and long term is the step down the right path for MS.

As a value proposition though I don't think I could recommend Xbox over PS4. PS4 has better and more exclusive games and can play the same cross platform games as the Xbox One. And I wouldn't say that's just opinion, that is the reason Sony has dominated Microsoft this cycle sales wise. Consumers make decisions based on quality and price and PS4 has more quality games and comparable pricing. (fwiw, I preferred 360 last generation)

I agree with this. The PS4 is right in the middle of price for performance between the Switch and XBO X.

And I never factored in the One X, because when you do IMO the value isn't as good since it's the most expensive console out right now. I'm only looking at it from One S.
Despite the opinions in this thread, the fact of the matter is you can pick up a XBO-S w/Minecraft for $215, Live for $6/month, GP for $10 month. With the amount of games on GP, as well as getting exclusives when they first drop, the value is the content you're getting for the price.

Agree with this too. EA Access and Game Pass together is an amazing value.
Eh, switch feels like the best value to me because I feel like I'm buying a console game and portable game for 1 price

Guess it just depends how you look at it

This too, lol.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
No mention of PC?

EA access basic/premier, Humble Monthly, cdkeys, greenmangaming etc., Regional pricing, no online fee
Yeah. Xbox seems to be doing good, but a lot of those good things are making it more PC like.

My PC is still the gold standard. And I don't have to pay to play online on it.

Tbalt

Oct 27, 2017
Sugar Hill, GA
What's the most recent game that PSNow offers?

Couldn't say exactly, but some of the most recently released would be For Honor, Project Cars 2, Prey, Sniper Elite 4, which I think are all in the 1-2 years old I guess? There are probably some lower key games that are newer, maybe even some AAA. There are 200 PS4 titles available to download, and 650 total PS2/3/4 titles available to download or stream. And I don't really have the time or inclination to determine which of 200 titles is the most recently released. The point though isn't so much about which service gives you the most recent releases, but which offers the better value. I'd argue that PS Now is now putting up a good fight in that argument, and *IF* BC comes to PS5, would make a strong case that it is hands down the better option compared to Xbox Game Pass.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
If you want stupid amounts of games for little money then I think the PC is the way to go. Higher up front cost for the machine but there's much more competition in the marketplace for games and the longer software compatibility means you'll also have games that are too old for other systems available at rock bottom prices. Bundles often give you a ton of stuff for couch cash.

Jun 22, 2018
Couldn't say exactly, but some of the most recently released would be For Honor, Project Cars 2, Prey, Sniper Elite 4, which I think are all in the 1-2 years old I guess? There are probably some lower key games that are newer, maybe even some AAA. There are 200 PS4 titles available to download, and 650 total PS2/3/4 titles available to download or stream. And I don't really have the time or inclination to determine which of 200 titles is the most recently released. The point though isn't so much about which service gives you the most recent releases, but which offers the better value. I'd argue that PS Now is now putting up a good fight in that argument, and *IF* BC comes to PS5, would make a strong case that it is hands down the better option compared to Xbox Game Pass.
Getting brand new $60 games day one in game pass definitely is an important factor in Game Pass' value. If a first party MS game is coming out, you know you'll have access to it day one and don't have to buy it. That saves you $60 (assuming you're already in game pass). You don't have to wait 1-2 years hoping the game you wanted to play will make it to the service.

That's a huge added value.

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting brand new $60 games day one in game pass definitely is an important factor in Game Pass' value. If a first party MS game is coming out, you know you'll have access to it day one and don't have to buy it. That saves you $60 (assuming you're already in game pass). You don't have to wait 1-2 years hoping the game you wanted to play will make it to the service.

That's a huge added value.
That's a huge plus for me, especially trying out Microsoft's first party titles.

I'm someone who isn't particularly interested in their first party offerings apart from Halo and Gears. I got to try out Sea of Thieves because of Game Pass and I've played a ton of it. I'm looking forward to giving Crackdown 3 a go as well without having to pay $79.99 CAD.

I was also debating buying Shadow of the Tomb Raider during the holidays, I saw it on sale frequently for $34.99-$39.99 CAD. Now it's on Game Pass so I can just playing it.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass has single-handedly made me a believer in the subscription model. While individual subscription programs from larger publishers have been a thing as well, the offerings are too esoteric for me, and aren't as cheap as Microsoft's either. It's kind of rendered GWG obsolete as well since the quality/newness of GP releases is so much better, even though the subscription cost is more (but can be had for cheap if you watch for deals).

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I think BC is important for Game Pass and EA Access too, as it really helps flesh their libraries.

The best stuff on EA Access are games like Mass Effect/Dead Space/Mirrors Edge/etc which are all only possible thanks to BC. And as for Game Pass, there are decent games in the library for the kids like Viva Pinata, Banjo etc, all via BC too.

Most of the best stuff on PS Now is also last-gen stuff, but unfortunately streaming only (I expect that'll change with PS5 though).

And as you say, BC is even more important at the beginning of a generation. And of course, for Game Pass, it means the full library in there will simply carry over to the next Xbox too.
Won't disagee with any of that

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

I think when discussing which platform gives you the better value we have to take into consideration to whom we're referring. Are we talking about a person who's new to gaming? Someone who's never touched one particular platform before? Or someone who's played everything on all platforms.

For someone who's new to gaming then PS Now is the better deal not only due to its larger library but also due to having some extremely good exclusives like TLOU and Bloodborne which many would argue are superior to any offerings on Game Pass. For someone who has played everything then Game Pass will be the better deal since you get an opportunity to play brand new games for the one subscription fee.

It's also worth keeping in mind this is not an answer set in stone as these services will continue to evolve. PS had the benefits of PS Plus free games, Xbox introduced Games with Gold. PS introduced streaming with PS Now which provided a form of BC, Xbox provided actual BC as well as Game Pass. PS introduced download support down PS2/PS4 titles on PS Now. Just from that very simple breakdown there were a couple points each where either company could be argued to have offered the better value.

Last edited:

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I tried to give a balanced view in my original OP and clearly stated that I owned all consoles. I've also been a PC gamer in the past.

I still stand by my views and would argue that the value is better than PC gaming due to the high cost barrier of entry. Yes I can build a cheaper PC and match it with console settings but this involves hassle, tweaking of settings etc.

If you forget about the price barrier of entry then PC is an extremely strong value option for gamers.
Value isn't being cheap, it's how much enjoyment you get from the investment. Your view in the OP isn't get derided for not being balanced, just ignorant to what else is out there and that people on a gaming forum like, you know, games. A high barrier cost of entry to play games better with vastly more options is like any enthusiast hobby out there. An Xbox One S will get you resolutions that aren't acceptable today, let alone years ago, and the X approaches territory that you might as well start investing in a PC.

Also the whole "hassle, tweaking of settings" is the most Weenie Hut Jr. argument out there. There's a reason the etc. is there because you couldn't think of more reasons.

There are two main reasons people don't own a PC to game on, but that they often won't come out and say and say nonsense like "settings tweaking" instead:
1) They just don't want one but don't want to just say that
2) They can't afford one

As someone who's also pretty balanced in terms of having all consoles and handhelds last gen, all of them this gen, and thinking Halo 5 is one of the best multiplayer games I've ever enjoyed, the Xbox One is the only console I've ever sold. Ever. I'm also someone who has local libraries where I can borrow games for free, so Xbox Game Pass is useless outside of the one month I have sitting around from a controller I bought. This is on top of the Xbox's dismal exclusive library and how it doesn't have unique factors like portability or VR like my PC and PS4 do.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
In what world are games like Halo 5, Gears 4, or Ori "decent to mediocre"? They may not have the universal acclaim of the latest God of War et al. but they're still very good games. Halo 5's campaign was a bit weird but its MP and gunplay is among the best of the best, Gears 4 is successful proof that the Coalition understand Gears with some nice QOL improvements to the gameplay loop (like vaulting) while retaining what made Gears great in the first place. And Ori is an audiovisually stunning metroidvania.

Can't wait to try out Sea of Thieves once I jump into Gamepass for Crackdown 3 soooo no complaints on my end!

Halo 5 and Gears 4 were both decent, no doubt. But far from the best games in their respective series. Ori is great, though. And then we have games like Recore and Super Lucky's Tale, which had potential but ended up being very mediocre. I own an Xbox One because it's a great console and has the best controller and services. But Microsoft has fallen far behind Sony in the exclusive games department. And they know it. It will likely be better next gen.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
How the fuck are people managing to argue against this? I got a year's (well more in total) worth of Game Pass and EA for less than £60 - there's not many EA games I actually want to play, but you get a good amount of quality games for your £60 and there's really no argument against it being excellent value.

Well, there is an argument it seems but I have no idea how you're finding it.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
And even with that much value, Xbox One would be the last place i would do my gaming. They weak japanese support, and the exclusives also available on PC, kills any interest i might have for the console. Here hoping others will adopt a identical service as gamepass, the value is indeed great.

Last edited:

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I get what you're saying but even all those things couldn't entice me to play my Xbox One X daily or weekly whenever I actually owned it. I thought I had completely lost interest in video gaming up until September of 2018, whenever I purchased the 500 Million Limited Edition PS4 Pro.

I play my PS4 daily and logged more hours during September - December 2018 than I ever did with the One X. That's where the value is for me.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
And even with that much value, Xbox One would be the last place i would do my gaming. They week japanese supports, and the exclusives available on PC as well kills any interest i might have for the console. Here hoping others will adopt a identical service as gamepass, the value is indeed great.
That, and that no one I know owns an Xbox One also helps.

Descendant

Fallen Guardian
Nov 2, 2017
Quality over quantity to me. I personally have found Switch and PS4 recent slew of games released way more interesting than anything given out on the Xbox side. And in the future it still remains that way.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I get what you're saying but even all those things couldn't entice me to play my Xbox One X daily or weekly whenever I actually owned it. I thought I had completely lost interest in video gaming up until September of 2018, whenever I purchased the 500 Million Limited Edition PS4 Pro.

I play my PS4 daily and logged more hours during September - December 2018 than I ever did with the One X. That's where the value is for me.

Not denying PS4 has better games, but isn't this mostly a subjective thing? If you haven't played Halo 5, Gears of War 4, Forza Horizon 4 and Ori and the Blind Forest. You'd be very busy playing those games too. And that's for just €10/$10.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

A bunch of people already beat me to the punch. But having full games on release day on a Netflix-style game service is a huge benefit, and something that Sony doesn't yet offer. Older games are games that you are more likely to already own and have played, and they are cheaper to buy, so there's diminished value.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After finally getting a PS4 a few months ago and catching up on all the exclusives I was interested in. I have to say I much prefer Xbox exclusives easily. If anyone asked me for a recommendation, I would easily tell them to go Xbox.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I would be on PC. I would have to see what PA titles they bring to the service before I subscribed.
Of course, but there's nothing to "hype" there. You either want to play Microsoft's games or you don't. If you have enough of their games that you like then subscribing should be an easy decision.

Of course value will be personal. I own all three consoles and almost all of the big PS4 exclusives, but I have barely played any of Uncharted, God of War, Bloodborne or Spiderman despite owning all of them since day one. HZD I am close to finishing at least, but I rarely turn the PS4 on because I have tons of Xbox games that I generally prefer to play.

Last edited:

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I did. We're not talking about your use case, we're talking about overall value.

Says who? My use case is just as easily your use case if you live in the USA. Also, you said:

PC beats it hands down regardless.

You're not factoring in the cost to play online on Xbox, or the fact PC games are vastly cheaper overall.

If you wouldn't have used that word, I would have been on my merry way. You were implying that even with my 'special case' it doesn't offer the best value.

OP
OP
harz-marz

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Value isn't being cheap, it's how much enjoyment you get from the investment. Your view in the OP isn't get derided for not being balanced, just ignorant to what else is out there and that people on a gaming forum like, you know, games. A high barrier cost of entry to play games better with vastly more options is like any enthusiast hobby out there. An Xbox One S will get you resolutions that aren't acceptable today, let alone years ago, and the X approaches territory that you might as well start investing in a PC.

Also the whole "hassle, tweaking of settings" is the most Weenie Hut Jr. argument out there. There's a reason the etc. is there because you couldn't think of more reasons.

There are two main reasons people don't own a PC to game on, but that they often won't come out and say and say nonsense like "settings tweaking" instead:
1) They just don't want one but don't want to just say that
2) They can't afford one

As someone who's also pretty balanced in terms of having all consoles and handhelds last gen, all of them this gen, and thinking Halo 5 is one of the best multiplayer games I've ever enjoyed, the Xbox One is the only console I've ever sold. Ever. I'm also someone who has local libraries where I can borrow games for free, so Xbox Game Pass is useless outside of the one month I have sitting around from a controller I bought. This is on top of the Xbox's dismal exclusive library and how it doesn't have unique factors like portability or VR like my PC and PS4 do.
To say I've been "ignorant" because I haven't mentioned your platform of choice is extremely harsh. I didn't include mobile gaming, does that make my opinion ignorant?

Not everyone wants to tweak settings, does this make my opinion "nonsense"? I've owned a PC for many many years and even on the higher end, I've had to tweak settings of some sort. Not everyone wants to do that. For those that do and have the money, you'll get incredible value from gaming on PC.

The price of an Xbox One X doesn't come close to being able to invest in a brand new PC in my opinion. Yes you don't need a 2080ti to match it's performance, but if you talk of "investing" you'll want to at least make this investment future proof to some extent which means spending a little extra.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
This is weird logic to me...seems a lot of people don't know what value really means. For one OP says it like it is fact. It isn't. People always seem to hand-wave PS now and VR away cause reasons. VR alone PS4 more value for me, but it gets ignored. I had a one X with game pass for a month, I was not a fan of anything first party except forza, and I am not a big racing fan. For me PS4 is far better value, I'd rather p[lay TLOU, Bloodborne then any first party gamepass game. But that's not true for everyone, value is not something that can be so easily explained.The fact is people are buying more ps4's then Xboxs even when it is cheaper, because they see more value in it. Value is not just a dollar value.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I used to be a PC gamer and agree it has good value but prefer to game on a bigger screen with no tinkering etc.

Can completely understand the second point, especially if you're having to troubleshoot an issue and it could be from a huge list of variables, but typically the whole having to spend "hours" tweaking a game before you can play it is hyperbole nowadays. But I still understand just wanting to know that you can simply turn on your gaming box and go without much in the way of input. You are definitely not alone there.

As for your first point though? Come on. Now if it was that you just don't want to or can't have the PC in the living room at all, then that makes sense. Otherwise, the "lack of comfy couch and a TV" hasn't been a thing in almost a decade.

I can also see where you're coming from with the notion behind this thread, although it really depends on just how much you love Microsoft's console exclusives. I think the Xbox One X is the most value for the hardware, and ease of use, but for me there's barely any games on it that I care about aside from a handful of older titles that have backwards compatibility and were enhanced. I already have the original consoles for those games anyway though. It seems to me that Microsoft had to do something to get more people to gravitate towards their system this gen.

OP
OP
harz-marz

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
This is weird logic to me...seems a lot of people don't know what value really means. For one OP says it like it is fact. It isn't. People always seem to hand-wave PS now and VR away cause reasons. VR alone PS4 more value for me, but it gets ignored. I had a one X with game pass for a month, I was not a fan of anything first party except forza, and I am not a big racing fan. For me PS4 is far better value, I'd rather p[lay TLOU, Bloodborne then any first party gamepass game. But that's not true for everyone, value is not something that can be so easily explained.The fact is people are buying more ps4's then Xboxs even when it is cheaper, because they see more value in it. Value is not just a dollar value.
It's my opinion, simple as. I've not dismissed the other consoles or even PC as I currently own or have owned all of these gaming platforms.

I don't have PSVR and it looks freaking amazing but that's an extra £200 onto the price of a PS4 which not everyone can afford. I would love to get it sometime though!

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
It's my opinion, simple as. I've not dismissed the other consoles or even PC as I currently own or have owned all of these gaming platforms.

I don't have PSVR and it looks freaking amazing but that's an extra £200 onto the price of a PS4 which not everyone can afford. I would love to get it sometime though!
Obviously, and I posted mine, it's cool.

OP
OP
harz-marz

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Can completely understand the second point, especially if you're having to troubleshoot an issue and it could be from a huge list of variable, but typically the whole having to spend "hours" tweaking a game before you can play it is hyperbole nowadays. But I still understand just wanting to know that you can simply turn on your gaming box and go without much in the way of input. You are definitely not alone there.

As for your first point though? Come on. Now if it was that you just don't want to or can't have the PC in the living room at all, then that makes sense. Otherwise, the "lack of comfy couch and a TV" hasn't been a thing in almost a decade.

I can also see where you're coming from with the notion behind this thread, although it really depends on just how much you love Microsoft's console exclusives. I think the Xbox One X is the most value for the hardware, and ease of use, but for me there's barely any games on it that I care about aside from a handful of older titles that have backwards compatibility and were enhanced. I already have the original consoles for those games anyway though. It seems to me that Microsoft had to do something to get more people to gravitate towards their system this gen.
I simply don't have the space for a full PC in my living room. If I have a PC I'll want to use it at a desk for work etc and won't want the hassle of disconnecting it and connecting to the spaghetti mess of wires behind my TV lol.

Anyways, feeling a lot of negativity from PC owners simply because I didn't mention this in OP - I've said multiple times that I've had a PC in the past and loved it. I simply can't afford to keep up that investment in parts etc and now prefer to game on console. For those that have a PC, fair play!

lemonade

May 8, 2018
User Warned - Accusations of "shilling"
When you in the console war so deep you become a free PR member for the corporation.

Every time I see the PR-esque Gamepass talk, I cringe.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I simply can't afford to keep up that investment in parts etc and now prefer to game on console. For those that have a PC, fair play!

Honestly, I've never agreed with the idea that PC gaming offers more value over time strictly for gaming from a monetary standpoint. You can build a gaming PC for 1080p/60 for a somewhat comparable price to a console, but aiming for 1440p/60 and especially 4k/60 (still out of reach with many newer games without compromises) really raises the total upfront cost. And that's if you never decide to upgrade your GPU in three to five years either (right now is probably one of the worst periods for cost/performance in that regard too).

Buying a bunch of games solely because they are cheaper is a nonsensical argument too, and while you can generally get new releases for slightly cheaper as well, they don't really have much of an impact until a few weeks or months after release with a deep discount. If the game has any kind of online co-op or multiplayer component, and was something you were highly anticipating, are you really going to wait weeks or months to get it? Plus, used games and renting still exists. If you want the best experience once everything is up and running, PC has no competition, but the "value" proposition has more to do with your enjoyment, not money and it's pretty much an endless cycle in that regard.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I think the value prop is a bit moot if it doesn't have the games you want to play. The exclusive selection is just so poor that it's a nonstarter this gen because you've got to buy an online service on multiple systems for them to be competitive.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
With all the comparisons between Game Pass and PS Now being discussed I wanna run a potential scenario by you all to see what you think. What if for PS Now Sony adds their smaller titles day 1 (Dreams, Concrete Genie, Shadow of the Colossus Remake, Tetris Effect...) and then add their bigger titles to the service after roughly 1 year after launch?

This would give the service a steady stream of titles for people to try on the service and huge blockbuster games would keep filling out the pool of titles. Personally I see this as probably the most realistic direction for Sony to go in.