• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
If you think this isn't confusing you have yet to experience the true naivety of the general public. They are typically uninformed and need to have things explained to them and made cut and dry. The Microsoft pass structure is easy for us to understand because we are actively involved in our hobby, but little Billy's mom won't know where to start.

Anyone who doesn't know something needs to learn it. That doesnt mean this is confusing.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Not lumped together.

What do you mean not lumped together? It includes a gamepass ultimate membership.

And yeah the All Access membership is not well publicized even on their website so I doubt customers would even get all of that info. Depending on how the membership will evolve, it could add some mess to the mess already there.

Random example I encountered, on the XBL Gold store page they show W10 XBL enabled games for a reason that I cannot comprehend since online multiplayer is free on PC and that nothing requires that membership there. I would be foolish to assume that going on this website is a well designed experience.

In the end this convo reminds me that they have to streamline a lot of things before even getting to their services.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Oh no, it's "Xbox Series X, the poor confused consumers!" all over again.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I do think it's got a bit messy. It's one thing for us but for someone new to gaming or new to Xbox it's a lot of somewhat overlapping and similar stuff to figure out. The naming is just a bit weird in places too. Why does Game Pass Ultimate include Xbox Live Gold when Game Pass and Xbox Live are completely separate concepts?

Perhaps it would be better to rename Game Pass Ultimate as just 'Xbox Ultimate'?

I also feel like Games with Gold feels a bit redundant in a world where Game Pass exists. Perhaps knock it on the head, focus on Game Pass, and make Gold a bit cheaper?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I do think it's got a bit messy. It's one thing for us but for someone new to gaming or new to Xbox it's a lot of somewhat overlapping and similar stuff to figure out. The naming is just a bit weird in places too. Why does Game Pass Ultimate include Xbox Live Gold when Game Pass and Xbox Live are completely separate concepts?

Perhaps it would be better to rename Game Pass Ultimate as just 'Xbox Ultimate'?

I also feel like Games with Gold feels a bit redundant in a world where Game Pass exists. Perhaps knock it on the head, focus on Game Pass, and make Gold a bit cheaper?

I disagree. I think it's very intuitive to parse that Gamepass gives you access to the games in the subscription service, just like any Xbox game. 'Ultimate' not only gives you Gold, but allows the service to span across Xbox and PC.

naming it Xbox Ultimate breaks the link between the service and vanilla Gamepass and is a far more confusion nomenclature.

consumers will be fine. AT&T and Verizon have multiple cellphone plans and average consumers seem to understand them just fine.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I think is maybe a little confusing is Games with Gold existing alongside Game Pass. That seems like something that can maybe go away.

Maybe XBLG will just go away.

I don't like the term "concern trolling" but do you have evidence of actual confusion in the marketplace? You mention "non core gamers" potentially being confused but honestly I don't think non-core gamers need to understand the finer distinctions between GP and GPPC; they're probably not playing on both console and PC anyway.
This I agree with. Not so much confusing, just redundant.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Why does Game Pass Ultimate include Xbox Live Gold when Game Pass and Xbox Live are completely separate?

I think they called it Game Pass Ultimate because they want to push the Game Pass brand.

Or else just eliminate Gold.

Xbox Game Pass
Xbox Game Pass for PC
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate (Console + PC)

Conceptually, I don't understand why Gold should be a separate paid service. I mean, are there really that many people who subscribe to Game Pass on console who don't have a Gold subscription? Business-wise, I get it, of course. Right now it's really like they're just using XBLG as a way to upsell people to XGP: "You already have to pay for multiplayer, might as well just pay ~$5/more a month to get Game Pass!"

Multiplayer isn't really a premium extra. It's plumbing. I think it would be better if they "gave away" multiplayer to drive engagement with Xbox and Game Pass. Then a lot of the "confusion" instantly melts away. "Game Pass" is something I think average people can grok; it's a pass for games. $10/month on console or PC, or $15/month for both. Done.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. I think it's very intuitive to parse that Gamepass gives you access to the games in the subscription service, just like any Xbox game. 'Ultimate' not only gives you Gold, but allows the service to span across Xbox and PC.

naming it Xbox Ultimate breaks the link between the service and vanilla Gamepass and is a far more confusion nomenclature.

I feel like you're ignoring the precise thing that is unintuitive.

Xbox Game Pass and Xbox Live are wholly separate. You can have Live without Game Pass and vice versa. Yet the combined service contains only one of the brand names. It wouldn't be intuitive if the combined service was called Xbox Live Ultimate either.

Xbox Ultimate is a snappier name and the term ultimate clearly indicates the best deal, the everything deal, the all included deal.

consumers will be fine. AT&T and Verizon have multiple cellphone plans and average consumers seem to understand them just fine.

I'm pretty sure cellphone plans are intentionally confusing to exploit average consumers, but whatever.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think ultimately they need to make multiplayer free for everyone, drop Xbox Live Gold, go with Gamepass/Gamepass Ultimate.

1. Free Multiplayer
2. Xbox Gamepass
3. Xbox Gamepass Ultimate 'Includes Xcloud Streaming'

That would be perfect and if you want to gain more audience away from Playstation that would go a long way. If Microsoft believe they can turn Gold subscribers into higher paying Gamepass subscribers without putting multiplayer behind a paywall I think they would do it, you want more people in your ecosystem, playing games, spending, not less. Multiplayer barrier has always been an issues even if it makes bank, they just need to calculate the point were it's worth flipping, gamepass might do it, might not. Have to wait and see but hopefully a mic drop announcement they are saving for closer to launch.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I feel like you're ignoring the precise thing that is unintuitive.

Xbox Game Pass and Xbox Live are wholly separate. You can have Live without Game Pass and vice versa. Yet the combined service contains only one of the brand names. It wouldn't be intuitive if the combined service was called Xbox Live Ultimate either.

Xbox Ultimate is a snappier name and the term ultimate clearly indicates the best deal, the everything deal, the all included deal.

so on the off chance someone doesn't know what differentiates Gamepass from Gamepass Ultimate, you want the service renamed to lose all connection to the 'Gamepass' brand that Microsoft has successfully pushed to millions of gamers?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's too confusing atm, but I admit it would be neater if it was all Game Pass branded

- ditch paid multiplayer (Xbox Live account for everyone)
- Game Pass for Xbox
- Game Pass for PC
- Game Pass Ultimate for both (plus xCloud)

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
You buy ultimate and then there's nothing else to worry about. Not too complicated for me

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
1. It seems like a lot, It should not really take any time to understand what those are.

2. Any reason why you aren't including the free tier for PS? You've included that for Xbox.

that said, it seems more likely that Gold could get phased out in favor of Gamepass or something.
Also, XCloud will expand that service count later this year :)
Yeah why not include the free tier also. Makes it look like he's trying to set an agenda here.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Xbox Live: Is the general service.
Xbox Live Gold: is paid multiplayer and "Free" games,
Game Pass for Console: is Game Pass on console,
Game Pass for Windows: Is Game Pass on windows,
Game Pass Ultimate is the all inclusive package.

PlayStation Network is Sony's general service
PlayStation Plus is their "gold" equivalent
PlayStation Now, I guess, would be their Game Pass equivalent.

There isn't really much difference between them, Sony (I don't think) doesn't have two seperate PSNows nor do they have a combined package. I think Game Pass Ultimate would look better as Game Pass Gold, but I really doubt they need to streamline anything regardless. (Maybe Combined Game Pass Console/Windows) Highly doubt free multiplayer will ever be a thing again, those subs make far too much money.

Last edited:

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
This reminds me of one of those infomercials for a new product, where some actor is doing things the "old" way like a clumsy moron.

XGP Ultimate isn't a tier, it's a bundle. "Xbox Live" isn't a tier either, it's just the name of Microsoft's online infrastructure.

The only real potential point of confusion, is the two versions of Game Pass. I think combining them together would make things simpler, but I also understand why they can't/don't: the games for XGP PC have to be separately licensed.

You've got two tiers of Xbox Live (Silver and Gold), and two versions of Game Pass (Xbox and PC). XGP Ultimate combines everything into a single monthly price. Not that difficult.

Aug 23, 2018
I prefer the different options around MS services. I think most people who understand the tiered system would agree. XBL Gold has been around for 15+ years and I think the general public or casual gamer knows that it's $50-60 a year to play online.

If you asked me a couple of years ago, I would've thought that MS would've either dropped the MP paywall or included in into GamePass (all for $10/month). But since they've spent the last year plus pushing Ultimate and getting current subscribers to upgrade to it by extending current subscriptions by upgrading for $1, I don't think that's happening anytime soon. Why would they go through the trouble of having people upgrade from a $10/month subscription to a $15 if they are just going to make online free?

I think the only thing MS needs to better define is what XBL Gold is on its own. GWG has more or less become a complete after thought for the Xbox community with GamePass. Will that continue with Series X titles? Will they even offer free next gen games and remove 360 games? Will GWG go away completely and they offer something else? I'm curious to see how that will play out, but eventually I see MS pushing everyone onto one of their monthly subscription GamePass services

xCloud will eventually be tied into the different tiers of GP or GPU. They may offer it at a cheaper rate in emerging markets like India, Middle East and Africa where Xbox consoles are not common and they only want consumers to buy into a streaming subscription service to play on other devices