• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

X vs Zero

• X

Votes: 180 49.2%
  • Zero

Votes: 186 50.8%

• Total voters
OP
OP
PhoenixAKG

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Me too, but he wasn't in any good games, unfortunately. A shame, because conceptually, he's pretty cool.
Aren't X8 and Command Mission viewed as decent?

Also speaking of Axl this kills me:

KX7-016.gif

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
As I said in the first thread, I think X and Zero are best when they play off of each other. The Mega Man X Official Complete Works shows commentary from staff that indicates they understood this.

Inafune ruined the series with his obsession with Zero. I found Zero far more dull as a character in MMZ (despite loving the gameplay and some of the lore) without X to play off of. I could say the same for X.

X is my favorite of the two because I do like how he'd prefer not to fight but does it because he has to, anyway. And I like characters who have to grow to improve over time.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
X is cool and I love him, but it's Zero. Better story, better move sets, better themes(dat X3 theme)

Glad to see he's taking the poll

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
X

X is nothing but walking BS

If X was given his entire kit and Zero was given his then X would stomp handidly

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love both but chose Zero because of his style and how good it feels to control him in X4.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
In the later X games Zero was just a better made video game character. All the boss special moves were mapped so you could do all sorts of crazy combos in succession. X still had to scroll through special weapons, plus they had limited use. The later X games were also kinda trash so I didn't have the patience to find the Dr light pods for X. At least in later games you could switch on the fly. Absolutely no interest in Axel who was basically an annoying version of X.

That said if Capcom wants to do X9 and you only get X as a playable character I'll be thrilled.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Zero is the better playable character. Also, Zero is the better character, though I'd have given him 20% more personality.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
From a gameplay perspective Zero, because at a certain point that is whom Inafune seemed to start designing the entire games around.

From a story perspective, X definitely. As mentioned in this topic, Zero's cold logic serves as a good foil to X's naive optimism and both characters come out better by learning a bit from the other. But Inafune eventually went balls deep on Zero and I'm on MMZ3 of the Zero Collection and hooooly fuck Zero is an absolutely nothing character at this point

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
From a gameplay perspective Zero, because at a certain point that is whom Inafune seemed to start designing the entire games around.

From a story perspective, X definitely. As mentioned in this topic, Zero's cold logic serves as a good foil to X's naive optimism and both characters come out better by learning a bit from the other. But Inafune eventually went balls deep on Zero and I'm on MMZ3 of the Zero Collection and hooooly fuck Zero is an absolutely nothing character at this point
Zero in the Zero series gradually grows out of his shell, especially by the time of Zero 3 and Zero 4. His conversations with others in those games show more personality than most of the X series and about as much as X4 and X5.

Speaking of the Zero series, it did a great job making X the powerful "other guy." Cyber Elf X is the one who steps in to save Zero instead of the other way around (multiple times), is regarded as a legend, achieved his dream of a Utopia and is legendary for fighting for peace even long after Zero went to sleep. It's a nice way to go full circle with the mentor relationship Zero had with X in the X games. Zero regaining his memories is nice to watch, too. He goes from this kind of blank slate to a cold warrior to being more open with his emotions by the time the series is over.

Then in ZX, both X and Zero are the mentors to Vent/Aile. Nice cadence of roles, there.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Zero. Indefinitely more cool. Once they fleshed out his play-style from X4 onward (including the zero games), it was clear that Zero not only was a better character, but more fun to play as well.

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
I dunno, man. Zero's cool. Always preferred playing as Zero, and I find his background as the final Wily Number and how that carries forward to be interesting.

But I like X too, damnit!

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I like Zero, but he's a tryhard. I like X, and I have no complaints about him. So X it is.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
IIRC it's left vague if the Biometals' consciousness are supposed to be the original's or just copies.
They're aware of everything their original bodies took part in, but at the same time it's pretty directly stated that Ciel created at least two of them.

Feels like they intended to make it a pretty clear connection, but then backed out when the weird implications of that started to rise.

EXMaster

Oct 28, 2017
My younger self would have been inclined to go with Zero, as he is the one that is more obviously 'cool'. He strikes me as a Wolverine equivalent, a character that was designed out of the gate to have that type of popular appeal. Comments from Inafune in the MMX collection artbook(s) seem to reflect this intent.

As an adult, I would say X. Precisely because in the beginning, he sucked (well, not exactly, he was just made to be overshadowed by other characters like Zero power wise). From that humble beginning, he grinded up to become as capable as he did, while the inner conflict of wanting peace and having to fight so much weighed on his mind. I feel he's more nuanced in his dealings throughout the series, which is something I appreciate more today.

Like it was said earlier though, they both bring out the best in each other. The ultimate irony of the series is that Dr. Light and Dr. Wily final creations would inadvertently become ideal partners

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
Can I beg for a "Both/Draw" option in this poll? Both are great, and the games are better for having both.

Well, Inafune wasn't the one designing the games, as he was never really a game designer. It is always important to point out that he wasn't as important to the development of the series as he pretended to be.
I can't choose they're both my fuckin bois 4 lyfe.

This is supposed to be X and Zero's essences or whatever combined? It looks like just Zero. Should at least be purple or someth.
It is more like "Someone using X's power, who has equipped Zero's stuff like a boss weapon to make up for the X Biometal getting damaged," so it works in that sense. It is a real shame that you can't use the full power of the X Biometal too much in that game, since starting off with the full double X buster was really cool.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
X1 is my favorite game of all time. Took Classic gameplay and made it so much faster with the dash and wall jumps increasing range of movement and stage design. And then interactive story-telling with Vile stomping you in the intro and then Zero saving you by sacrificing himself because he knew you could finish the job.

Everything about that game defined the X series and I felt really connected to X the character because of it. X and Zero being buddies was my favorite thing about their interactions. They weren't in competition with each other, they never cared who was "better", and they respected each other. And that's why I've always disliked Inafune for his selfish and, imo, unprofessional attitude toward them shoving X into the background in order to push his personal favorite in our faces, going so far as to try to force the X series to end just to make Zero go solo.

I liked Zero, I still like Zero, but there was no reason the two characters couldn't have shared the spotlight. Not gonna lie but a big reason I could put up with Project X Zone 1&2 was because of them.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
X is my favorite character of all time, and has been ever since I finished the first Mega Man X game as a kid. So, for me it's X by a country mile.

I do love Zero too, don't get me wrong, and he and X make up the most badass, powerful duo in all of gaming. But when it comes to one or the other, it's X every time. His very name is a variable that represents his infinite potential, potential that is realized through his unique capacity to suffer and feel empathy for others, which is not something Zero (or any other Reploid, that we know of) is capable of, at least not in the same way.

I also love his growth throughout the series. He starts off in X1 as a rookie with Zero as his mentor, and by the end of X1 he's grown so tremendously that he's equal to Zero in power and remains so throughout the series. Much later on, in one of X6's endings, Zero himself admits that X has surpassed him. In X7 he falters as his ideals push him to leave the battlefield, but he comes back more powerful than ever once you unlock him and is enormously powerful in X8. Finally, in a really cool example of things coming full circle, X steps into the mentor role for the Zero series, guiding his best friend as Zero once guided him.

Both of them are tremendously powerful, no doubt, and neither one would ever win in a complete blowout, but at the end of the day, as powerful as Zero is there are hard limits to that power; and not only that, Zero is shown repeatedly to be rather fragile, dying or being taken out of commission several times throughout the series. X's potential strength, on the other hand, is limitless, and we see that brought to bear in his various armors throughout the series, which extend his capabilities beyond anything Zero is capable of (mostly). X's weakness is that he holds himself back because of his deep aversion to war and violence, but his unique capacity to care, suffer, and feel empathy for others means that when the chips are down and the occasion calls for it, none can compare to X.

I fucking love X. He's just impossibly badass, and he's also a lot cooler-looking than Zero, whether it's his default form or his incredibly slick Command Mission design.

67894496_364969060865856_8221021219378429952_n.jpg