• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
See what putting guys that the crowd actually knows and likes can do for ratings? It probably would've been even higher if not for the thrown together women's match.

There's only one way they can go to keep the Rampage rating up, and that's treating it like the Smackdown to Dynamite's Raw. And I'm talking Attitude Era Raw/Smackdown, when Smackdown first got started and they had to make that show matter.

In other words, all the big stars that appear on Dynamite have to be on Rampage every week. It can't be treated like a B show, because... we saw where the numbers go when the card is Best Friends vs Lethal/Singh/Dutt, Ethan Page vs Leon Ruffin, Lee Moriarty vs Sydal and Anna Jay vs Ruby Soho. That's a Dark card and no shit the viewership is going to suck. Imagine if WWE booked Smackdown like they booked Shotgun Saturday Night or JAKKED back in the day. Smackdown wouldn't be a thing today.

Mox, Jericho, Punk, Danielson, Rosa, Baker, Bucks, Lucha Bros... they need to be on every week, like Rock, HHH and Stone Cold were on Smackdown every week when that show started. Your stars are your stars, you pay them like stars, the people tune in to see the stars, they need to be on every show. It's still a super soft schedule considering Rampage is taped after Dynamite most weeks, and even when it's live, it's nothing compared to the indie/old WWF house show schedule where you were traveling to a town damn near every night.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
There's only one way they can go to keep the Rampage rating up, and that's treating it like the Smackdown to Dynamite's Raw. And I'm talking Attitude Era Raw/Smackdown, when Smackdown first got started and they had to make that show matter.

In other words, all the big stars that appear on Dynamite have to be on Rampage every week. It can't be treated like a B show, because... we saw where the numbers go when the card is Best Friends vs Lethal/Singh/Dutt, Ethan Page vs Leon Ruffin, Lee Moriarty vs Sydal and Anna Jay vs Ruby Soho. That's a Dark card and no shit the viewership is going to suck. Imagine if WWE booked Smackdown like they booked Shotgun Saturday Night or JAKKED back in the day. Smackdown wouldn't be a thing today.

Mox, Jericho, Punk, Danielson, Rosa, Baker, Bucks, Lucha Bros... they need to be on every week, like Rock, HHH and Stone Cold were on Smackdown every week when that show started. Your stars are your stars, you pay them like stars, the people tune in to see the stars, they need to be on every show. It's still a super soft schedule considering Rampage is taped after Dynamite most weeks, and even when it's live, it's nothing compared to the indie/old WWF house show schedule where you were traveling to a town damn near every night.

Yup, you need an actual main event that attracts people and then throw some people you want to build on for the future. You can't just rely on those "for the future" stars

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018

I agree with you but at the same time, how much does branding have to do with the ratings?

Dynamite is seen as the A show, we can talk about the card for Rampage all day long but if you put any Rampage card on an episode of Dynamite and stretch it to two hours, will the rating for Dynamite drop noticeably? Probably not.

I agree that Rampage needs more stars and more important moments happening there but wrestling b shows generally have never really "worked"

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel RAW is going to have a considerable drop this weekend

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel RAW is going to have a considerable drop this weekend

dexter-lumis-entrance.gif

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017

That's a nasty drop-off, but it's due to a lack of proper promotion. Feels like Tony is trying to promote too many big shows at the same time sometimes. I get the issues with injuries and wanting to make many partners happy at the same time. Hope he does a better job of building to Battle of the Belts IV in October. I'm concerned it'll be really good because they're doing the Canada shows on the Wednesday and Thursday after, and I don't want those cards to suffer because Tony decides to get hyper fixated on boosting BotB's viewership numbers. LOL

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
That's a nasty drop-off, but it's due to a lack of proper promotion. Feels like Tony is trying to promote too many big shows at the same time sometimes. I get the issues with injuries and wanting to make many partners happy at the same time. Hope he does a better job of building to Battle of the Belts IV in October. I'm concerned it'll be really good because they're doing the Canada shows on the Wednesday and Thursday after, and I don't want those cards to suffer because Tony decides to get hyper fixated on boosting BotB's viewership numbers. LOL
On the positive side though it did rank in line with the other 2 BotB shows.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
For sure. The demos still seem relatively solid (?), but they still need to make the shows feel more important moving forward.
Yeah for sure. At the moment it's just matches seemingly thrown together for the event with little build up.

AEW and specifically Tony needs to realise that as much as hardcore fans love great wrestling matches, you need a good amount of focus on story development and talking segments.

They have improved somewhat in this area recently but I still think there is more room for improvement as I even struggle to get through dynamite without fast forwarding through some matches some weeks for things I either can guess what the outcome will be or care about the match itself.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with Battle of the Belts III is that you really knew the results before the event even started, like there was no way that Jay Lethal, Hayter and Takeshita will win their matches

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
As we all know the solution was to give Hayter the belt for instant 1.0 ratings.

After that the Hayter/Riho best of 7 series will bring ratings not seen since the Crush Gals

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
If the pacing of Raw was -5/10 before, it's a 2/10 now

still a long way to go, but at least it's not the absolute fucking shits

it was obvious for years that the moment vince was gone, the quality of the show would pick up dramatically... but that's still not saying much.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
AEW Dynamite: 985,000.

...just a prediction. LOL. That episode was a banger and deserves over a million, but I could see the middle probably having some people drop off before a wave of people coming back for the main.

What a show that was, though. Goddamn.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like maybe I'm an outlier here but does anyone think the ROH stuff adds nothing to AEW? Like the matches are good, the ROH shows they've put on were really good, but just the idea of having the belts sort of co-mingling I just don't get it.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
That makes it 7 out of 8 No 1 positions in the last 8 weeks doesn't it?

Considering Punks return and a lot of speculation that Omega will be back next week, I expect it to do a little better in terms of raw numbers.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like maybe I'm an outlier here but does anyone think the ROH stuff adds nothing to AEW? Like the matches are good, the ROH shows they've put on were really good, but just the idea of having the belts sort of co-mingling I just don't get it.
The outlier are the people who think it's a good thing. It's been awful for Dynamite

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
When you can pull a good similar rating without making your show go 100 miles an hour, maybe Tony Khan will try to stop shoehorning so many segments in 2 hours. Last night felt very well paced compared to other shows.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I may be wrong but it feels like this is the best run of ratings in terms of rankings they have ever had.

Could be wrong but I don't remember it being this consistent previously, even with the higher ratings before.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I may be wrong but it feels like this is the best run of ratings in terms of rankings they have ever had.

Could be wrong but I don't remember it being this consistent previously, even with the higher ratings before.

They had a run of 5 weeks in a row around this time last year.

YOY comparison of this week:

Aug 12, 2020: 792,000 (with NXT as competition)
Aug 11, 2021: 979,000 (0.35)
Aug 10, 2022: 972,000 (0.33)

Pretty steady with last year. Here's hoping Punk's return, the tease of Kenny's return, and just how HYPE last night's show was grows the audience next week. :)

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

Oh no, it adds absolutely nothing.

TK is desperately trying to attach it to his #1 show every Wednesday simply to squeeze out some of that sweet sweet tv deal money. He'll probably get it too.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

TK is desperately trying to attach it to his #1 show every Wednesday simply to squeeze out some of that sweet sweet tv deal money. He'll probably get it too.
The unfortunate part is that he's probably going to keep it going until next year and whatever new TV deal gets made includes ROH. I doubt ROH gets a TV deal on its own otherwise they'd have gotten one by now.

Oct 8, 2019

Whose going to look at the ratings for Rampage, Battle of the Belts and go "Hey we need to get this guy a third regular tv show that gets 400,000 viewers".

Oct 27, 2017
Consider how many viewers WCW still had at that point. They still had like over twice the viewers Raw gets now. What else was even on cable back then lol
Buffy The Vampire Slayer was on TV back then and was getting anywhere between 4 to 7 million viewers a night depending on what season it was. Any show getting a 3.1 in 18-49 seems crazy to me now.

USA Network had Strip Poker back then but I have no idea what the ratings were like for that shit.
ntBNy8z.png

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Buffy The Vampire Slayer was on TV back then and was getting anywhere between 4 to 7 million viewers a night depending on what season it was. Any show getting a 3.1 in 18-49 seems crazy to me now.

USA Network had Strip Poker back then but I have no idea what the ratings were like for that shit.
ntBNy8z.png
Buffy was on network TV, not cable. As was Who Wants To Be A Millionaires

UmbranUndying

Feb 20, 2022
TV was just a very different beast back then. There were shows basically left to the dustbin of history that pulled numbers that would look ungodly today. Even as recently as Impact's best ratings, which are still higher than any number AEW's put out, its demo and rankings weren't where they really needed to be. TV's just changed a lot since the end of the Monday Night Wars.

Wrestling has done a pretty good job erasing its reputation as a "trashy" demo (due in large part to WWE and their PG push). Being able to gain better sponsors, and its status as a mixture of live sports and scripted drama that can run 52+ weeks a year is incredibly valuable in the age of endless content. So I think both WWE and AEW are in good spots for contract increases when the time comes, even if they are big fish in increasingly smaller ponds. WWE has their deal with Peacock. I think it would be wise for AEW to also secure a streaming future soon.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Here we go, network and cable ratings from 22 years ago:

www.ratingsryan.com

Broadcast & Cable Nielsens: Week Ending August 13, 2000

Below are the Nielsen ratings for the 47th week of the 1999-00 television broadcast season; most reruns are excluded from the list. Final ho...

Hour 2 of Raw shit on hour 1. Back when wwe was capable of keeping the viewers attention instead of peaking minute one and bleeding viewers for the rest of the night.

Nitro on deaths door, 25th for the week, tied with Sunday night heat, getting crushed by the Nickelodeon all stars

Neonzel

Hero of Bowerstone
Apr 30, 2018
Philadelphia
Meltzer putting the ratings in context

From one year ago, the show was down 0.7 percent in viewers, down 4.6 percent in 18-49 and down 14.2 percent in 18-34.
Factoring out the loss of cable homes, the real percentages would be 5.2 percent up in viewers, up 1.1 percent in 18-49 and down 9.3 percent in 18-34.

Quarter Hours Dynamite

Segment18-49Total Views
Darby Allin vs. Brody King507,0001,064,000
Promos by Jon Moxley, Chris Jericho

Start of Rush & Andrade vs. Penta & Fenix
Continuation of the tornado tag match

Promo with Young Bucks, Dark Order and Adam Page
Luchasaurus squash

Christian and Jungle Boy angle

Miro promo

Powerhouse Hobbs & The Factory Promo

Jay Lethal, Sonjay Dutt, Satnam Singh with Wardlow and FTR Angle

Matt Menard, Angelo Parker, Anna Jay and Daniel Garcia Promo
Ricky Starks vs. Aaron Solo

Gunn Family with Stokley Hathaway Promo

Best Friends, Orange Cassidy and TrustBusters Promo

Beginning of Jade Cargill vs. Madison Rayne
End of Cargill vs. Rayne + the post-match

Toni Storm & Thunder Rosa Promo

Plugs for next week Show
First half of Moxley vs. Jericho432,000968,000
Second half of Moxley vs. Jericho
JAS, BCC and CM Punk run-ins

Last edited:

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Meltzer putting the ratings in context

Quarter Hours Dynamite

Segment18-49Total Views
Darby Allin vs. Brody King507,0001,064,000
Promos by Jon Moxley, Chris Jericho

Start of Rush & Andrade vs. Penta & Fenix
Continuation of the tornado tag match

Promo with Young Bucks, Dark Order and Adam Page
Luchasaurus squash

Christian and Jungle Boy angle

Miro promo

Powerhouse Hobbs & The Factory Promo

Jay Lethal, Sonjay Dutt, Satnam Singh with Wardlow and FTR Angle

Matt Menard, Angelo Parker, Anna Jay and Daniel Garcia Promo
Ricky Starks vs. Aaron Solo

Gunn Family with Stokley Hathaway Promo

Best Friends, Orange Cassidy and TrustBusters Promo

Beginning of Jade Cargill vs. Madison Rayne
End of Cargill vs. Rayne + the post-match

Toni Storm & Thunder Rosa Promo

Plugs for next week Show
First half of Moxley vs. Jericho432,000968,000
Second half of Moxley vs. Jericho
JAS, BCC and CM Punk run-ins

Mostly expected the first and final quarters to be the high points of this show. Another positive I'll take from this is that no quarter dipped below 900k. Let's see if they can do the same next week. I imagine they might be able to with Danielson and Garcia taking up 25 minutes, and the trios main event taking up another 20. LOL

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at those 20 year old ratings got me thinking: How is SmackDown - with it being on broadcast TV - not trouncing Raw every week? I don't just mean 2-300k wins, how is it not doing like 3m a week?

Is 2m really the ceiling for WWE? There is basically very little 'casual' audience for WWE now. They've got a hard audience of about 1.5-2m and that's it.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at those 20 year old ratings got me thinking: How is SmackDown - with it being on broadcast TV - not trouncing Raw every week? I don't just mean 2-300k wins, how is it not doing like 3m a week?

Is 2m really the ceiling for WWE? There is basically very little 'casual' audience for WWE now. They've got a hard audience of about 1.5-2m and that's it.

Meltzer brings this up regularly. Smackdown should be killing Raw, instead it's about equal.

In fact, Smackdown loses to Dynamite some weeks in certain demos. It's insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.