• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Why do people on this site hate Musk so much? Is there something I am missing? He seems like the closest thing we have to a Tony Stark in our lifetime and after watching the documentary about SpaceX, I have even more respect for him. I know he can say some pretty ridiculous things sometimes but I don't get people calling him a fascist.
I fucking beg you to disassociate real-world asshole billionaires and superheroes

Samenamenick

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Manchester, NH
When has Twitter ever actually moderated hate speech though?
This was my big question relating to many of the concerns I've read relating to this, as a Twitter outsider looking in. Did Twitter really clamp down on hate speech/trolls/etc related when Trump was banned, and now the concerns are that those folks will all be unbanned, and able to do whatever without fear of consequence under Musk's reign?

Like, what's worst case, functionally, for users compared to now (greater societal impact notwithstanding)? He stops people from being able to follow whomever they choose and disables the ability to block/delete whatever vitriol comes along? Will millions of conservatives who walked away (did they?) when Trump got banned, all of a sudden decide to jump into the fray again and cause havoc among marginalized communities, where they were unable to do so before?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people on this site hate Musk so much? Is there something I am missing? He seems like the closest thing we have to a Tony Stark in our lifetime and after watching the documentary about SpaceX, I have even more respect for him. I know he can say some pretty ridiculous things sometimes but I don't get people calling him a fascist.

LMFAO

Bro he is literally lex Luthor. Literally. Down to the hair.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Hold up, I also hate Musk.

I am also not sure Musk is worse than Zuckerberg, like fuck Musk forever but he's a genocide short from being on the level of harm facebook brought to this world.

Oh, I hate Musk too, lol, that's a given. And yes, Facebook is worse.

But that doesn't mean this isn't a 'hold my beer' moment to Facebooks current terror when he comes in with the winking at conservatives that an already right leaning platform has 'free speech' problems. At least Zuck gives a song and dance publicly, Musk can easily make twitter a better more organized version of hate recruitment with twitter.

My response was just that its all about Musk bias when out the gate, with this specific issue on the sale, dudes already laid the groundwork for a alt right platform.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This was my big question relating to many of the concerns I've read relating to this, as a Twitter outsider looking in. Did Twitter really clamp down on hate speech/trolls/etc related when Trump was banned, and now the concerns are that those folks will all be unbanned, and able to do whatever without fear of consequence under Musk's reign?

Like, what's worst case, functionally, for users compared to now? He stops people from being able to follow whomever they choose and disables the ability to block/delete whatever vitriol comes along? Will millions of conservatives who walked away (did they?) when Trump got banned, all of a sudden decide to jump into the fray again and cause havoc among marginalized communities, where they were unable to do so before?
They say they clamped down on hate speech, but like always when social media companies do those things they kick a few prominent conservatives, often temporarily, and ban thousands of Palestinians while people are cheering their StRoNg StAnCe AgAiNsT hAtE.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
He has public persona that many people find irritating. You can find a lot of such examples everywhere.
But technically, he truly is amazing. He revolutionized car industry, space launch industry, and is trying to do more with few other small tech firms.

I don't know why he felt he need Twitter... he just attracted endless rage of all of his enemies.

He bought a bunch of companies with apartheid money. Truly amazing.

Oct 27, 2017
The racism, bigotry and hate this troll spews may be the reason?

But hey, supporting apartheid and engaging in hostility towards those that don't conform to his world view is cause for celebration.

If you'd emerge from the cult of personality for a second you'd realize almost nothing at SpaceX is attributable to him.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

Like, what's worst case, functionally, for users compared to now (greater societal impact notwithstanding)? He stops people from being able to follow whomever they choose and disables the ability to block/delete whatever vitriol comes along? Will millions of conservatives who walked away (did they?) when Trump got banned, all of a sudden decide to jump into the fray again and cause havoc among marginalized communities, where they were unable to do so before?
Functionally? The types of people that are currently banned by Twitter, regardless of how few, won't be banned in the future. Others who have been slightly more veiled in their bigotry won't need to be as a result. It's then easy to understand how radicalisation pipelines would be broadened, and the harassment minorities face increased. In short, the little that Twitter did do won't be done, and those who toed some sort of line before will have the confidence that the new openly-stated ethos behind Twitter is one where people shouldn't be banned regardless of vile views.

Also elements like the blocking of Russian state propaganda and disinformation, which Musk has openly stated he's against.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I am so glad I deleted my Twitter account last year. That place was already a cesspool. I want no part of an Elon-owned social media.

GGenoGold24

Banned
Feb 21, 2022

Twitter put their foot down with COVID misinformation and (critically) Election Fraud misinformation. They've also suspended or banned public figures like Nick Fuentes, Marjorie Taylor Greene, and most importantly Donald Fucking Trump. Twitter has standards when it comes to genuinely dangerous misinformation.

Now imagine what's going to happen if / when government grifters are allowed to declare fraud on any election results they don't like, and Elon Musk won't moderate them. What's going to happen if / when Elon Musk accepts millions of dollars in misinformation money because he has absolutely no fucking standards and "money speaks"?

This could turn Twitter into Facebook, which has become the premier Misinformation Market in the planet, and the principal reason why your grandmother thinks that Cobra Venom is the cause of COVID. Twitter won't go after EVERY troll, but critically they will remove the most heinous offenders and keep their community in check.

With Elon musk, moderation could potentially go down the shitter and turn Twitter into a genuine hellhole.

Functionally? The types of people that are currently banned by Twitter, regardless of how few, won't be banned in the future. Others who have been slightly more veiled in their bigotry won't need to be as a result. This could broaden radicalisation pipelines, and increase the harassment minorities face. In short, the little that Twitter did do won't be done, and those who toed some sort of line before will have the confidence that the new stated ethos behind Twitter is one where people shouldn't be banned regardless of vile views.

If there's any consolation, this shit happened before in 2016, and their own bigotry made life harder to them in the long-run.

Turns out people don't like it when you go "masks-off" and say the "quiet thing out loud" right in their fucking backyard. Twitter going a full-blown public square will just mean a shitload of angry Liberals, Progressives, and Leftists turning the dial back to Maximum and causing more hate-engagement, and the chuds going even more mask-off and unhinged than they already are as a result.

Last edited:

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Musk doesn't care about rules unless they benefit him, doesn't care about public money unless it goes to his companies etc. Yes, he may have a sort of get shit done and see what happens persona that seems cool because rockets woo, other ideas that aren't new but he is just betting big on normal things and his house of cards will fall especially cars, he isn't a grand idea man either. As others have said he isn't a nice person and has very suspect and bad values. He is a window into those dystopian corporate hellholes, it isn't cool.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
He runs his factories like a fascist and this is what he does to employees.

Then there's all the well documented racism from him and his company.
www.latimes.com

Horrific allegations of racism prompt California lawsuit against Tesla

Racist slurs were hurled daily at Black workers at Tesla’s California plant, delivered not just by fellow employees but also by managers and supervisors, California’s civil rights agency alleges in an explosive lawsuit filed against the company Thursday.
www.nytimes.com

Menial Tasks, Slurs and Swastikas: Many Black Workers at Tesla Say They Faced Racism (Published 2018)

African-American workers have reported threats, humiliation and barriers to promotion at the plant. The automaker says there is no pattern of bias.
Supporting the anti-Muslim Trump ban until changing his mind after backlash.

www.cnbc.com

White House says Musk, CEOs of Ford, GE will join Trump manufacturing council

Trump says he will meet with the business leaders regularly to discuss manufacturing policy.
jan-28.jpg

feb-2.jpg

www.theguardian.com

Elon Musk's SpaceX and Tesla join filing against Trump's travel ban

Companies were not original signatories, but now join 97 other tech firms in supporting Washington state lawsuit

Can we make this a threadmark for all the people coming in a saying "but why don't you like Elon Musk"? Its not just that people find him annoying.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
This whole thing is going to make Elon that much richer. The day he takes over the stock will spike. Republicans will suddenly love him even more and he will get any type of funding he asks for. I can even see this impacting nasa funding funelling some of it over to him.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Can't believe I entered this thread and I see someone (quoted but still) unironically equate Elon Musk to Tony Stark AGAIN instantly.

Lololololololol

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Could they wipe his account considering it was the president's account at the time? Or I wonder if they just had to back up his tweets for record keeping.
I don't think Twitter is required to follow any federal record keeping requirements. Instead, I'd assume the onus would be on the official's office to archive anything.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When they perm banned him didn't they entirely wipe his account? Can the original even be recovered?
Twitter bans are usually reversible, I don't know though if they delete stuff after certain time has passed.

They can also always make a deliberate call to purge Trump's tweets, but I don't know why they would do that.
It's also wouldn't be a good thing I think.

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
Press release:

Elon Musk to Acquire Twitter

/PRNewswire/ -- Twitter, Inc. (NYSE: TWTR) today announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to be acquired by an entity wholly owned by Elon...

"Free speech is the bedrock of a functioning democracy, and Twitter is the digital town square where matters vital to the future of humanity are debated," said Mr. Musk. "I also want to make Twitter better than ever by enhancing the product with new features, making the algorithms open source to increase trust, defeating the spam bots, and authenticating all humans. Twitter has tremendous potential – I look forward to working with the company and the community of users to unlock it."

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
My first thought was that Musk was doing this for attention but if he really is going through with this then I think it's a plan by Musk and Peter Thiel to try and tip the scales in the next election

Status
Not open for further replies.