• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
The big problem is that everyone is conflating working from home with all the issues going on. Now people associate Working from home with a pandemic. When things are "normal," the isolation people feel isn't nearly as prevalent. You're able to go hang out with friends or be social. It's okay to have a life outside of work, but that's really difficult to see or do right now.

Bosses just hate that this situation has ripped some control out of their hands. Fuck em.

Also, these executives need to stop complaining about how on boarding is more difficult. I have no sympathy. It's your job to adjust to scenarios and equip your workforce with the tools and processes needed to succeed. When workers need some slack, most of them are the same ones to replace or dock someone for it.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Large contract sales and negotiations have been a nightmare. No more making deals on the golf course. Over dinner. Over a drink. No running by someone's office to drop of that piece of hardware you know they've wanted to get their hands on. No texting "hey, I'm passing by your office - can I interest you in lunch" or "hey, why don't you bring your whole team into the office next week and I'll have my experts ready to answer all your questions head-on."

Going into the office has been 100% optional for me (except Monday mornings) for years - but I usually went in, anyway. I think you REALLY lose something in 100% remote situations. But either way you fall, for work that has historically taken place face-to-face with the customer/client, this is proving strange, strange times.

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
The big problem is that everyone is conflating working from home with all the issues going on. Now people associate Working from home with a pandemic. When things are "normal," the isolation people feel isn't nearly as prevalent. You're able to go hang out with friends or be social. It's okay to have a life outside of work, but that's really difficult to see or do right now.

Bosses just hate that this situation has ripped some control out of their hands. Fuck em.

While part of it is definitely that, it's also definitely more than just that. Having a context switch between office and home is something many people appreciate to separate work from their life. Many people also don't have a home that can accommodate a workspace.

nhlducks35

Oct 28, 2017
why not just pair the older workers with the newer workers, theres ways for bosses to tackle this "Fear"

Am curious if they are just coming from a biased viewpoint here, or even reached out to their younger workers here to see if they are even feeling like they are lacking developed (or have some type of way to measure "Development" here). Otherwise might just be an unfounded fear.
How do you do that remotely, share your screen 9 hours a day?

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This has absolutely not been the case with my company.

I just cleaned out my office today as we are permanently working from home now.

I guess they took some metrics as covid was beginning around productivity with the intent to reimburse clients based on lower productivity but it was actually higher. Office space is by far our highest overhead cost and they just eliminated a huge chunk of that.

I know I'm personally a bit more productive on account that I'm working more since I don't have to commute and I don't get bogged down with social engagements and I'm able to work through all those meetings that I need to attend for an hour in case there are any questions/concerns with my discipline

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Should note that some of the companies in the article rely on the existence of an office in order generate profit, lol.

I honestly cannot fathom why people want to be in an office. I spend 2 hours commuting back and forth. Another 30 minutes for lunch. Another 30 minutes for coffee breaks. Probably another hour on bullshit conversations. Meaning I'm left with maybe 5 hours of real productivity, all the while wishing I wasn't sitting in a cubicle and doing my damnedest to not spark an unnecessary conversation. I don't think I'm any more or less productive, the work gets done. Honestly, the freedom of comfortably working on my couch or home set-up probably motivates me a little bit more.

Certain jobs may necessitate in-person attendance, for sure. I can probably understand the need for fresh out of college workers to need the stability of an office. But as many stated, I'm hoping that a hybrid of 2-3 days in the office becomes the standard. The office being a hub that people go in voluntarily for team meetings, a change in scenerey, conversations with colleagues, as opposed to the current utilization of cubicle life would be ideal.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
While part of it is definitely that, it's also definitely more than just that. Having a context switch between office and home is something many people appreciate to separate work from their life. Many people also don't have a home that can accommodate a workspace.
Yeah, no doubt. Some people have a hard time compartmentalizing. My point is: Fuck execs who complain about this shit. My other point is that there are much less things to separate work from life right now. It's just a shitty time overall. But there are plenty of cases of people who worked remotely before this and never had issues.

This pandemic was a forcing function. Of course bosses don't like it. Maybe some people don't like it either, but that doesn't mean remote work isn't great. It means that companies need to be flexible to account for their employee's preference when possible (and for almost all roles done sitting at a computer, it is possible).

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Our department was going to moving to one-two days a week in office (server engineering) and even then we were going to be working out of our data center which was down the street from the office. We have zero compute in our HO so there's no reason for us to be there. We're completing all our work ahead of schedule remotely but I really think what's going on is that the lack of bureaucracy has made it easier to get shit done. You don't have as many road blocks. Less meetings, less devil's advocate by middle management. The hardest part for companies that are anti-WFH is getting rid of the stigma of 'If we can't see you you're not working' and covid demolished that.

Our desktop engineering is struggling though. We do not have a set schedule for DE to be in office and right now they're pretty much in once a week and they're having issues keeping up with the load, but it's not really safe for them to be in more than that because they don't have a walled or keycard locked area away from the office population.

I have to think that the drop off in productivity is probably due to growing depression and anxiety among people given the abysmal state of the country right now. We're living in an absolute hellscape and expecting everyone to just soldier on as if everything is fine is absurd.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking just for myself, work is a lot easier to do at the office. Just having access to my team is a huge boon, not to mention other advantages like having a nice work space, onsite IT, onsite daycare, and subsidized (but more importantly prepared and ready) lunches. It's also nice to be able to leave work at the office when the day is over.

I will say, though, that I always had the option to WFH when I needed to, so that helps a lot.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Like anything, it depends on the job. Plenty could probably thrive in a hybrid setting where people are in the office only a few days a week.

Some probably need to be in person all of the time.

Some can do just fine and thrive fully remote.

There isn't a one size fits all solution. I just hope the snap back isn't in the opposite direction where WFH is completely sidelined long term. It has its benefits and it's not like people don't zone out for in person meetings anyway. Plenty of waste associated with going to an office every single day.

Oct 25, 2017
How do you do that remotely, share your screen 9 hours a day?
The same way one normally trains someone? Show them to do something, ask them to do what you just did while they watch, then have them do it when you're not there, and make yourself available for questions any time (or during select times)? Anytime the person thats the more experienced one comes across a *trick of the trade* to tell that to their newer worker? occasionally have them shadow somethint their doing that day?

Just all the stuff I've dont training and mentoring folks

Ronin

Oct 25, 2017
I've been working from home long before the pandemic and I found my least productive days were when I had to go into the office. It's all the face to face meetings and people wanting to drop by my cube and chat. It takes much longer to get any work done than when I'm at home.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been starting to go back to the office a couple days a week as we are piloting a social distancing plan.

WFH has been nice but I need to be at the office at least once a week or so. Saving gas money is really nice though.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
staggering days would be a nice option. I agree that time in the office is beneficial but imagine how nice it would be, for instance, for parents to be able to coordinate alternating days home to watch kids.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I don't work at an office, but as a teacher I can't wait to get back into the actual classroom. Not only is it easier to teach in person (online is MORE work than in person), but as a single guy who lives a lone I miss the daily socialization, and this is coming from an introvert.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm full time remote at my job and I def feel the learning curve is steep trying to learn remotely, there's no real instant feedback, there's a lot of instances I wish I could just pull a lead aside and have something walked through with me. Add to it that everyone being remote was forced by the circumstances and I'm sure lots of companies just didn't have the infrastructure in place which I'm sure is leading to a lot of second guessing.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
I do miss talking to other co-workers, but WFH is nice, because fuck commuting.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
The change in productivity needs to include two factors. 1- the time saved in commutes. 2- The productivity change only once kids are back in school/daycare and people are still WFH. It's a worthless comparison otherwise.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I started a new job and onboarded/trained, all in a WFH environment. It's tough.

There are so many things I pick up from other people in an office when learning the ropes, that I've had to instead ask in more formal and frequent ways. They've been gracious and very supportive, but my situation really feels like the hard way.

Seeing these people in person for the first time, if and when that happens, is going to be really surreal.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
I hope for a hybrid approach in the future. A standard of TWTh in office would be good but, even then, you can miss if u really don't need to be in...Sometimes everyone in the office is nice. Not needed though.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
definitely needs to be an option across the board where able.

however, i agree. probably keep people in the office for a year or two at least or something, then do half/half or option for veteran employees

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind doing hybrid, but I'm functioning pretty well from home (and I'm the systems trainer for a 160+ person company that has been hiring a bunch lol). I'm also a 5+ year employee though and 32 years old. I can govern myself haha. I can see how it would be tough for younger people.

But... I can't take public transit right now. I just don't feel safe, and I feel like I'd have to stop visiting my parents if I did. I'm working as fast as I can to try to get my drivers license, but it makes me feel bad, putting another car on the road. I'm hoping that when things are safer/vaccines become available, that I can go back to transit and take the car off the road unless I need it.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I absolutely hate the framing of this as the "Work from home" experiment. It is an extraordinary circumstance that forced everyone's hand and not like a science experiment we all agreed to.

There are many reasons why in-office works, but you also have to account for like EVERYTHING going on. People are less productive because they have to be employees and caretakers at the same time. They have to worry about the strain of their own mental health while also continuing to be a productive member of the team. You also have schedules that are slightly misaligned due to a 100 different factors.

Then you factor in that most people were thrust into this situation with no real set-up or material and just told to make it work.

I think hybrid is the way going forward, but it's silly to use this period of time as an example of why it doesn't work.

Oct 27, 2017
Hard no on my end.

I went full remote before all of this anyways, since most of my engineering team is in India, and my customers are global and meeting over a conference call was always easier for them. I don't miss the long commutes, the constant interruptions, the office politics, waking up super early and leaving late, and not having free time during weekdays. Working remotely has given me more time for my physical and mental health while still getting the same shit done.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Our office is doing rotations.

Instead of the usual 45-55 employees at the office, there's now only 10-15 on any given day.

People have days assigned when they should be in the office. For instance, I'm scheduled to be in the office Wednesdays and Fridays, while WFH the rest of the weekdays.

Obviously we have strict COVID measures in place for people who show up at the office; screening forms, designated entrance and exits, masks requirements in common areas and hallways, and etc.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I also want to add, despite my experience, I think WFH is good - my own company adapted to the situation, has even prospered and grown during the pandemic, all while being very cautious about when to return to the office.

But the things that are missing, thats made me consider the value of an office, where before I'd just resent the commute every day.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I don't miss my commute enough to say I agree. But what I will say is that I am worried that my pivot to MIS could be effected by this. I'm at the point now in my training where I am qualified for opening positions for database stuff. I just need more practical experience that certification training can't provide. to further my skill set and I am really worried that I might land something and have to do the first 6 months remotely. I feel like it would stunt my growth.

I feel like going forward the best solution would be to make new hires have to come to the office in person. Then after 1-2 years give them the option to work from home.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
I miss my office chair.

some days it's easier to get work done at home, most days there is a bit extra.

however I'm getting more sleepand can start Cooking dinner as soon as I Power the ol' computer down. All thanks to the magic of "no commute".

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
People worked from home before the pandemic and will continue to do so after. I myself worked as a freelance graphic designer years ago and it was the norm to work 10 to 12 hour days and put in weekends because the work was not consistent or secure. The fear of missing new potential work was always there so it felt like I was on 24/7.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I'm far more productive than when miserable in the office and trying to avoid small talk and other distractions I don't want to be bothered with. I much prefer it personally and don't get why others would prefer being in. I'm one of those folks that would rather not be bothered (at work) that's sociable enough when engaged that folks don't get the hint.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
It's why I don't think commercial real estate is as doomed as it seems right now.
It's doomed in a way that it only serves a small number of people. Albeit, rich people.

Everyone else is struggling to pay rent.

Anyone concerned that employers realizing WFH is doing OK will actually lead them to start outsourcing more?
That's been the reality for a long time now.

However, since H1Bs are currently on hold in the US, it'll definitely spike it up a bit.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I've actually been way better at my job since I started working from home, because I'm not spending half my day on an exhausting commute and then getting dragged into meetings every five minutes. I talk to my boss via Skype when I need to and otherwise I have autonomy. It's amazing.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
The company I'm interning for doesn't seem to have this worked out. At least for interns. I don't know if that's just how they've dealt with interns before, or if the remote aspect makes it even easier for them to ignore or forget about us. It sucks to think that I'm missing out on crucial experiences and how that will affect my employment in the future.

Instead of learning how to work in my field, I sit at the computer all day waiting for responses from my supervisors. That last time anyone on my team answered any of my emails or communicated with me at all was on Thursday, and I'm supposedly working a 40 hour work week. Between that communication I literally have nothing to do.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a company by company thing. Many were completely unprepared for WFH, so the transition is going to bring heartburn and challenges. Ultimately it's hard to imagine the 5 days a week in office returning for a lot of white collar/professional office work. Many companies are going to downsize their office footprint and probably moves towards more small and shared spaces, with various hybrid and optional WFH efforts for employees.

State and federal governments should probably encourage it tbh. There's a lot of infrastructure benefits to having a large chunk of the population working from home part time or full time.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
I think that long term, companies should transition to a mix of WFH and office. Something like alternating between 2-3 office days and 2-3 wfh days.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
The company I'm interning for doesn't seem to have this worked out. At least for interns. I don't know if that's just how they've dealt with interns before, or if the remote aspect makes it even easier for them to ignore or forget about us. It sucks to think that I'm missing out on crucial experiences and how that will affect my employment in the future.

Instead of learning how to work in my field, I sit at the computer all day waiting for responses from my supervisors. That last time anyone on my team answered any of my emails or communicated with me at all was on Thursday, and I'm supposedly working a 40 hour work week. Between that communication I literally have nothing to do.
This is kind of how my internship was at the office full time. I think a lot of companies are just shit at on boarding.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like this also ignores a lot of toxic shit that goes on in the office: microagressions, loneliness, isolation, bullying, sense of being constantly compared to other employees, etc.

The article says that someone will whisper to you what something means. Usually, new employees don't get those kinds of hints, because everyone is just focused on what they need to do. People are incredibly petty in person.

While it may not work for everyone, WFH is great for me. Has been before COVID, will be after.

Yup. The article doesn't go into the drawbacks of the office work life. Getting to know your co-workers is great... when you get along. It's awful when you don't. There's also the downsides of getting along too well. Work inappropriate relationships, cliques, long periods of distraction due to conversation, etc...

I don't think that any of the people interviewed are intentionally ignoring these things but since working in person has existed since work has existed, it's taken as a given that these things will happen and that remote work lessens these occurrences isn't being taken into account yet.

I'm also curious as to why there's a strong view that apps like Slack, Zoom, or even Discord don't allow for socialization. Moment to moment questions and such shouldn't be any less likely through a message sent over text and it would seem to support better productivity overall. For more group based collaboration work, Ventrilo/Mumble/Teamspeak with PTT should suffice well in giving workers the ability to contribute and collaborate moment-to-moment without the lack of privacy that something like a video or open call does.

As for the lack of learning through office osmosis, that seems pretty valid but I'd have to agree with previous posters that suggest this issue is one that seems prevalent because of poor training programs in general. In effect, Executives are relying heavily on their Veteran Workers to train Novices for free on the job to make up for lackluster official training.

In the end I'm really left with the impression that the shortcomings listed in the article are far more of a result of businesses just not being able to adapt completely in a short amount of time to a new work paradigm than having to do with WFH being an objectively less productive arrangement. The only real change that I can see in a general sense is with people who are less productive in a WFH environment due to the office providing an unspoken pressure to compete with your co-workers.