• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is WC3: Reforged the worst thing that a game publisher has ever done?

• Yes. This is corporate greed and carelessness on a level heretofore unseen.

Votes: 435 42.1%
  • No, and I'll post what I think was even worse.

Votes: 353 34.2%
  • Undecided. It's really bad, but if they fix it it'll be mostly forgiven.

Votes: 187 18.1%
  • Wut? I love me some WC3: Reforged. What's everyone complaining about?

Votes: 58 5.6%

• Total voters

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
People coming into this thread with flippant comments need to understand this isn't simply a bad remaster that you can easily ignore. People with no intention of buying Reforged are forced to use it, with cut features and content. People are getting a worse game forced on them and erasing all the content the community built up over nearly 20 years.
100% this. If anything we aren't being hard enough on blizzard. They don't get any points for doing the bare minimum of updated character models when literally everything else is shit.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's the worst but it is up there for the fact that Reforged completely ruins the original warcraft 3 classic client. Which means even if you don't own reforged you are affected. Basically no one asked for this shit type of a deal where a 17 year old game gets downgraded for the worse.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Considering the legacy of the original game probably. This sold on nostalgia and they knew that so they went cheap on it. They sold a bill of goods with a megaphone and whispered the cancelling of those goods. Then they still advertise fake shit on the launcher the day of release, they obfuscate the refund process and then in the coup de grace, they ruin the original game too! This is one for books.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
4 months ago:
- Blizzard's handling of the Hong Kong protests is unacceptable
- "Here's Diablo 4"
-Ooh

Soon probably:
-Blizzard's handling of Warcraft 3 is unacceptable
-"Here's StarCraft 3"
-Ooh

Last edited:

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, really? Okay I retract my flippant comment, that's just wack. Not the most anti-consumer thing a company has ever done (I believe someone in this thread already mentioned Battlefront 2) but still very wack.
Lmao

"wow cry much. They released a game you didn't like big deal"

"..oh it affects you even if you didn't buy the game? Well this other game I don't like is still worse even though you could just not buy it"

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
What blizzard did with Warcraft 3 is one of the most sickening things I've ever witness in all my years in gaming. The fact that the old client also got ruined makes me sick to my stomach.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
I always wonder why publishers aren't getting sued more often for false advertising.

There's no need to sue them. Just don't buy their games and punish them in the only place they care about - their pocket. Saying that, I'll probably still pre-order Diablo 4 once the hype hits. Yes I'm an idiot.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
They released this way too early. A very not-Blizzard thing to do, for sure. If I were them I'd offer the legacy version to download as a separate client. That would smooth over a lot of the anger right now.

They'll fix it, of course. Whatever Blizzard's other faults, they do patch their games a lot, and for years. No chance they just leave WC3R like this. (Just hope they fix it soon, and not "Blizzard-soon".)

That said: we should be angry at how Blizzard now owns the rights to the stuff you make in custom maps, cause that actually is some legit bullshit, and has been since they pulled the same thing with SC2, effectively stunting the growth of that game's mapping community. If we're gonna pull the anti-consumer card, let's pull it here, cause that's long past due.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard ruined the original WC3 is what makes this so egregious. If you owned a copy beforehand it was ruined.

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not willing to call it the worst considering some of the absolutely grotesque alternatives out there, from horrifically abusive MTX schemes to games rendered unplayable via discontinued DRM to the 360 RROD debacle.

But it certainly is impressively ill-conceived and is yet another giant leap towards Blizzard's apparent goal of alienating people and destroying their reputation.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I read the OP and I'm left not knowing what the actual controversy is, so when I get to the part of the OP about how it isn't hyperbolic this this time I'm left wonder why.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
Various copy protection software schemes like Denuvo are quite anti-consumer long term. Anything that makes your single player game not work after a certain time period due to needing to check online servers as well.

We should have just stayed with installing off CD-ROMS at this point. :P

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
They released this way too early. A very not-Blizzard thing to do, for sure. If I were them I'd offer the legacy version to download as a separate client. That would smooth over a lot of the anger right now.

They'll fix it, of course. Whatever Blizzard's other faults, they do patch their games a lot, and for years. No chance they just leave WC3R like this. (Just hope they fix it soon, and not "Blizzard-soon".)

That said: we should be angry at how Blizzard now owns the rights to the stuff you make in custom maps, cause that actually is some legit bullshit, and has been since they pulled the same thing with SC2, effectively stunting the growth of that game's mapping community. If we're gonna pull the anti-consumer card, let's pull it here, cause that's long past due.

So no chance it just gets left like this?

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
4 months ago:
- Blizzard's handling of the Hong Kong protests is unacceptable
- "Here's Diablo 4"
-Ooh

Soon probably:
-Blizzard's handling of Warcraft 3 is unacceptable
-"Here's StarCraft 3"
-Ooh
This is a possibility, but there is only so much some old fans can take. As far as I'm concerned, between Diablo 3's auction house (greedy), Diablo Immortal (embarassing, but nothing criminal), Blitzchung (despicable) and this, I'm pretty confident in saying I have no interest whatsoever in what this company can deliver for the time being. Heck, even Starcraft 2 being divided into 3 games was kind of a warning, a sign of things to come.

Frankly, all of what happened is no coincidence. It is a pattern, and I want nothing to do with what Blizzard has become.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean doesn't EA literally put virtual gambling/slot machines in their Sports games? That is far and beyond the worst.

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
It hurts a bit, as a Warcraft fan the days are dark. I pray for some light at the end of the tunnel of 2020 but I don't think we are gonna get it. The best we can get is Shadowlands before year end and hopefully an acknowledgment of what's happening here with WC3 Reeforged and a promise to amend it.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Nah, not the worst, Dark Souls 2 & Silent Hill HD are up there with Reforged. It's just Blizzard isn't an indie dev like they pretend to be, they have made around 10 billion dollars from WoW alone, they could have put more budget into Reforged when it's a $30 title.

NeoKnight

Oct 28, 2017
No, this is not the worst thing EVER by a large publisher. Not even close.

Lets be real. In a world were we have had publishers these past gens push online passes, map packs, microtransactions, dlc that affects or breaks games, people losing content, timed exclusives, and even corrupted saves, no, this is just a very bad remaster, with poor communication, and that ultimately hurts their most loyal fans by even affecting the original release. But lets not go all "worse thing even made.". We have direct gambling in sports games for sakes. Heck, what happened with No Mans Sky was way worse than this IMO. Just don't buy it, and tell others not to until Blizzard addresses some of the issues, if ever.

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, not the worst, Dark Souls 2 & Silent Hill HD are up there with Reforged. It's just Blizzard isn't an indie dev like they pretend to be, they have made around 10 billion dollars from WoW alone, they could have put more budget into Reforged when it's a $30 title.

What?
How is Dark Souls 2 on similar lines as the shitshow W3:Reforged.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that anything about the remaster is really anti-consumer in the same way that clearly predatory and exploitative monetary schemes are.

Master Chief Collection is the closest comparison I can think of, and a lot of people would probably say that MCC was worse.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Why are people commenting without watching the video?

How can you compare a graphical downgrade to a remaster that strips away the possibility to play the original one?

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
I read the OP and I'm left not knowing what the actual controversy is, so when I get to the part of the OP about how it isn't hyperbolic this this time I'm left wonder why.
A lot of older battle.net functionality was killed off and if you want to have a "vanilla" WC3 you have you keep a CD installation as far away from b.net as possible. Also there's a new agreement that if it had existed in 2000 would have made DOTA a blizzard owned IP.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Visual downgrade is just one point.

But DS2 isn't a remastered or remake of an older game nor does it have the variety of issues W3:Reforged has when in comparison of the original W3:TFT.

The relation is hardly the same.
The downgrade is the big issue, no one uses features like clans anymore, not that Blizzard should have removed them.

Oct 28, 2017
The downgrade is the big issue, no one uses features like clans anymore, not that Blizzard should have removed them.

Visual downgrade isn't the only issue with W3:Reforged, you might want to check the the long list of issues the new client has and the changes to EULA regarding custom maps.

The singular visual downgrade issue in DS2 is nothing when compared to W3:Reforged.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
You cannot play single player custom maps anymore, noone play those anymore too?
That's pretty lame they removed that & i expect at least that will be patched back in, Rise of the Blood Elves is so good it should have been made official.
Visual downgrade isn't the only issue with W3:Reforged, you might want to check the the long list of issues the new client has and the changes to EULA regarding custom maps.

The singular visual downgrade issue in DS2 is nothing when compared to W3:Reforged.
The TOS changes so Blizzard owns custom games has been a thing since 2010 with SC2, it's shit adding it to WC3 but that custom games scene was replaced by DOTA2 years ago, no one is making Auto Chess in WC3.

DrBillRiverman

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
England
This always happens one way or another when a company gets too big and they hold all the cards.
If you hate these practices then I hasten to add that you're mad at capitalism, not specifically Blizzard

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of older battle.net functionality was killed off and if you want to have a "vanilla" WC3 you have you keep a CD installation as far away from b.net as possible. Also there's a new agreement that if it had existed in 2000 would have made DOTA a blizzard owned IP.
Thanks, sounds like this actually does legitimately go well beyond a bad port. I end up still thinking the OP is hyperbole in that a lot of the gambling mechanics out there are essentially meant to prey on people with addictive personalities, whereas this sounds like part of the reason it's so bad is that it's terrible in a way that's tailor made for its community.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I don't think that anything about the remaster is really anti-consumer in the same way that clearly predatory and exploitative monetary schemes are.

Master Chief Collection is the closest comparison I can think of, and a lot of people would probably say that MCC was worse.
I don't think MCC's release crippled any functionality in the original Halo games though.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Neutering the original game is indeed pretty shitty, but that game is fucking ancient man. They could have also simply pulled the plug on the online capabilities as many other game companies have, meaning you wouldn't be able to play the game in the first place. I get people are upset, but it doesn't register on a long list of vile predatory behavior by game publishers.

sOba

Oct 28, 2017
Italy
It's extremely bad. But "the most anti-consumer act ever committed"? Erm, it's not even the most anti-consumer act committed by Blizzard alone, given their propensity for MTX.

World of Warcraft's exorbitantly priced character services are on a worse level of anti-consumerism, essentially combining all the monetization of both subscription-based and FTP-based MMOs.

The worst single act committed by Blizzard against their legacy content and fanbase? Perhaps.
This definitely, the fact that you have to pay for character services drives me mad (in FFXIV too, it feels like a Xbox Live => PS plus situation)

Bissniss

Nov 11, 2019
it hurts to see how the big companies i grew up with are getting greedy and discarding their own identity

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure about "worst", but killing the old game is, well: "What the hell Blizzard?"

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Probably. Battlefront 2 isn't even close. That's a bad game with bad mtx but at least you could ignore that game and still play the original. If you own the original WC3 you got screwed. This remaster has negative value for a lot of people who didn't even buy the game.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
It really ain't that hard to look up a definition of the term "anti-consumer." It does not mean "I am a consumer and this product insults me, therefore it is anti-consumer."

Anti-consumerism is a sociopolitical ideology that is opposed to consumerism, the continual buying and consuming of material possessions. Anti-consumerism is concerned with the private actions of business corporations in pursuit of financial and economic goals at the expense of the public welfare, especially in matters of environmental protection, social stratification, and ethics in the governing of a society. In politics, anti-consumerism overlaps with environmental activism, anti-globalization, and animal-rights activism; moreover, a conceptual variation of anti-consumerism is post-consumerism, living in a material way that transcends consumerism.

Incidentally, the Hong Kong debacle was anti-consumer.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think MCC's release crippled any functionality in the original Halo games though.

Unless I'm mistaken, multiplayer servers for the various Halo games were taken down over the years anyway. The multiplayer for games like Halo 2 was dead until MCC came along.

The difference in this case is just that Blizzard was still supporting the original WC3 multiplayer features almost 20 years after the game's launch, and it's finally getting deactivated at the same time that the new service is being launched.

Last edited:

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Killing older games happens all the time. Servers getting taken down and new patches makes the old game disappear. It sucks but that's just the way it is. Blizzard already kept Warcraft 3 alive for a long time. But yeah the remaster isn't very good though.

Look at the other thread about Sony shutting down the Driveclub servers. That's a game from this gen. That's worse than Warcraft 3 reforged.