• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you consider purchasing a Playstation retro console?

• Yes

Votes: 565 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 442 43.9%

• Total voters

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, especially if it can run Vita games off the cartridge, and does what the XB1X can do for previous gen games.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
If I could get a console that played PS1,2, and 3 titles at Xbox bc levels I'd get that over next gen any day of the week.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
Just make a beefed up PS Vita TV with marketing geared toward playing classic Playstation games

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
It saddens me that PC Emulation is essentially doing what we want Sony to be investing in.

Microsoft is doing great with 3rd-party PS2 and PS3 games on Xbox Series X.
I would gladly pay money to Sony for some legendary PS1 games or 1st-party games that weren't akready ported to PS4.

Having said that, I would not pay for yet another machine to connect to my audio receiver when that thing is already overflowing with connected inputs.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I'll just emulate PS2 and PS1 games. Most PS3 games I'd ever wanna play again have been ported (or will be) to the PS4 anyways.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I wish there had been a follow-up Vita that had PSP/Vita/PS1 BC and also added PS2 & PS3 BC. Portable with digital games & give it a Switch-style dock with a disc drive for hooking up to the TV and playing physical games. I would be more interested in that than a PS5 or XSX to be honest.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
I would have paid $1000 for a PS5 that could natively play the entire libraries of PS1-3. No joke.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Everyone who voted yes: would you buy it for $700?

That's ultra niche device which needs a lot of engeneering effort.

Just buy a PS3.
I have 2 of those. And 2 PS2s and two Vitas. PS3s are sluggish, PS2s have their own issues. If Sony came out with a retro console that could play all their back libraries (including PSP and Vita), had full HDMI support, had save states/imaging options, supported your digital PSN purchases and physical media, offered a decent legacy digital store, I would pay $500-600. Maybe even that $700. But yeah, this is niche.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I wish there had been a follow-up Vita that had PSP/Vita/PS1 BC and also added PS2 & PS3 BC. Portable with digital games & give it a Switch-style dock with a disc drive for hooking up to the TV and playing physical games. I would be more interested in that than a PS5 or XSX to be honest.
The latter two aren't happening in mobile format for couple more years. At least not at a reasonable price. Qualcomm 865+ is almost there for PS2 if there was a decent mobile emulator, but not quite. Not to mention PS3. Plus the latter has some seriously large games for a portable.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
No.

Have hard enough time finding time to play new games.

From Sonys perspective it's probably more trouble than it's worth trying to figure out ps3 emulation or continuing to manufacturer something that uses cell.

SpitShine

Aug 26, 2019
I said yes, but honestly the box I want would be far too expensive to make. It would have to play original discs and have a whole bunch of custom chips replicating the original hardware.

Not really interested in an emulation box. I can already do that.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
About this
Yesterday i had weird dream
I dreamed about Sony made enhanced PS3
It looked like the phat ps3 but smaller i think.
It has the ability to play Ps1, PS2 and PS3 games, and it can play disc games from all regions on Ps1 and PS2.
Also upgraded the BD player to play 4K movies.
Also has internal SSD (32 or 64gb) and ability to use nvme (maybe v3)
I didn't catches the price, but maybe it was $200 or something close.
The reason they added the internal ssd because the PS3 was so slow, they had to use it.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
If Square would just port or update their PS1 games to modern consoles, there would be no need for this in my opinion.

I want to be able to play Xenogears and Chrono Cross and a metric ton of other games that are dangerously close to becoming a memory.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No.

Even if I didn't own all the consoles, virtually all games I'm interested in replaying are on PS4 now. I'm set.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
If Sony designed a new system that still used the original processors or a new hybrid processor but with updated tech like HDMI, wifi and support for new controllers like the DS4 and Dualsense and it had a disc drive that could read all the games then I'd pay $199-299 USD for it easily.

If it was an emulation box then I wouldn't touch it unless we had confirmation that Sony built all the emulators from the ground up themselves.

Last edited:

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
No, I wouldn't buy dedicated hardware for it. I would rather stick with my PS3 or just emulate the games on PC or a new PS console. Not gonna buy some dedicated hardware for old games

delete

Jul 4, 2019
I'd rather they focus on PS5 and PSNow then waste effort on this. I have very little desire to play PS1, PS2 or PS3 games and would definitely not invest in a retro console.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I just spent 5 minutes writing out this exact same thing in the Vice thread, I feel so dumb haha

I don't what the solution, but there is 19 years being left behind once the PS5 is available. PlayStation Now exists, but it only has some PS3 game & PS2 (really PS4) games on there. I'm sure people on this forum would hate it, but I'm not opposed to a repackaged PS3 with the Emotion Engine, sell it for $100, it plays PS1, PS2 & PS3 discs as well as have access to the PS3 PSN store. Maybe also have slots for Vita & PSP games. It'll never happen, but it's better holding onto old hardware that will eventually die out.

EDIT: LMAO I just noticed the thread.

In short, yes. Give me this device.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No. I would however consider buying a more expensive PS5 that does. I'm also willing to buy digital versions of PS1-3 games on PS5.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've said this before but I would pay good money for a machine that reliably plays PS2 games in HD. PS3 is not that big of a deal to me.

Last edited:

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I would as an handheld digital only device bigger than the Vita but maybe a bit smaller than the normal Switch(I don't know the size of the Switch lite).

And for a good price. Like $200 or something. I'm simply not interested in playing old games on a big TV.

edit: on 2nd thought, you could also just release The PS1 and PS2 library on Mobile and sell a licensed controller dock. Or ad them to PSNow for Mobile streaming.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
No I would rather my PS5 play all of them, I don't want multiple devices from the same family hooked up. I will continue to rip my games to my PC and emulate everything there. Saves space and I now have over 6000 games on my PC I can play anytime I want.