• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

marimo

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure no country would want me so I guess I just have to hope things improve here

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
My place of employment has a location in Ontario but I've only been there for seven months, so I don't think asking them to move me would be high on their list of priorities.

My husband has a degree and IT background from a major insurance company so he's at least more flexible and in-demand.

IDK. We'll see what happens. I hope we don't have to get to that point but if Trump is re-elected, we may have to.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
If things somehow contiue on the same decent into hell we're currently experiencing, yes, I would strongly consider moving to Canada or anywhere that's not this country. That is if we're not quarantined from the rest of the planet by then.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm not trying to be rude, but if you're not willing to put in the effort and time to make your own country a better place, and you're not in any kind of actual imminent danger, as a Canadian I don't think you should really even be considered for immigration or asylum. There are so many people in so many countries who have it so much worse and no way to actually improve their situations. Those are the people we need to welcome in first. Every US application for immigration should go to the very bottom of the pile imo. If you're willing to let your own country completely slide into fascism, racism and tyranny, what would you be willing to do for a country you don't even consider your home?

Most people I know feel the same. It's not that we don't "want" you here, it's that we want you to fix your mess down there first. It's like you getting drunk every night, trashing your house, and shitting all over your front lawn and then going up to your next door neighbor and going "My place sucks, can I crash with you?".

Last edited:

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, I think the Black population is like super low. I'd rather move to Atlanta and hold the fort down.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
been on the table for awhile but outside of identity politics i dunno what my day to day "gain" would be from it

like i'd probably get along with people more, which is maybe worth it but i dunno

Nov 9, 2017
Getting into Canada is harder then you might think....and honestly, I'm very vocal about keeping the boarders closed - please don't come here.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I'm not trying to be rude, but if you're not willing to put in the effort and time to make your own country a better place, and you're not in any kind of actual imminent danger, as a Canadian I don't think you should really even be considered for immigration or asylum. There are so many people in so many countries who have it so much worse and no way to actually improve their situations. Those are the people we need to welcome in first. Every US application for immigration should go to the very bottom of the pile imo. If you're willing to let your own country completely slide into fascism, racism and tyranny, what would you be willing to do for a country you don't even consider your home?
Dude I've been fighting this fight my entire life and it's just getting worse. Being an activist in America is soul crushing. I see a therapist, because otherwise my depression would just completely overtake me.

It's definitely more likely I stay (I am hopeful things will start normalizing at least under Biden) but at some point I have to think about my own sanity and happiness.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Nah, I'm feeling scrappy. I intend to fight back. Also I don't want to run away and infect others, literally or figuratively, with the American insanity. It's our fixer-upper to deal with.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

Most people I know feel the same. It's not that we don't "want" you here, it's that we want you to fix your mess down there first. It's like you getting drunk every night, trashing your house, and shitting all over your front lawn and then going up to your next door neighbor and going "My place sucks, can I crash with you?".

Very few people have the actual ability to make any sort of meaningful change in their state/country.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Provided I'm allowed and my wife and I could find employment?

Yes absolutely.

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed.

No offence Americans but sort your own shit out. And honestly? Your culture already seeps into Canada too much and it's making things worse here. We don't need more "American" anything, even though I'm sure most of you here are lovely people.

Nope, I think the Black population is like super low. I'd rather move to Atlanta and hold the fort down.
You've got Toronto and... Montreal I guess?

Toronto's a pretty dope city, but yeah we're not the darkest country going outside of those two cities.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Every election cycle, like clockwork, people from both sides thinking Canada is just your place to go cause you side didn't win. Go out and fight for the changes you want. We aren't just a consolation prize

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I personally felt this. I moved to Canada in late September 2016 when everyone thought Hillary was on her way to an easy victory. Then Trump won. It was fun to joke about how I got out just in time, but really a part of me wanted to be back there fighting for what I believe in. Fortunately, it's been easy to continue to at least vote while abroad, but it's not easy watching your home country slide into chaos from afar. It's still you're home and you do not want it to go to shit.

I am now planning to move back to the US, though I have loved my time in Canada and wouldn't trade it for anything now. I know I will always have Canada as an option if things really start to look even worse in the US, but it's not there yet.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Very few people have the actual ability to make any sort of meaningful change in their state/country.

I agree it's hard, but people can do it. People have done it. The wrong people are doing it as we speak. We want people here who feel that it is possible to effect positive change in a society, not people who have given up on it.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Every election cycle, like clockwork, people from both sides thinking Canada is just your place to go cause you side didn't win. Go out and fight for the changes you want. We aren't just a consolation prize
The only other time that option has been entertained for me was when Bush was going to invade Iraq. My mother was going to send me to Canada if they instated a draft. It's definitely not something I just have in my back pokcet for funsies.

resonance

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe. I'd at least like to get settled into a decent job after I defend and leave grad school. But maybe after like 5 years or so of working here I'd look into it.

TKM

Oct 28, 2017
I don't mean to belittle the very real macro problems and injustice present in the United States.

But my day to day living is pretty good. At the local level, my life hasn't changed that much regardless of who is in power. I'm not leaving because my life elsewhere would probably be worse.

Birdito

Oct 30, 2017
My favourite is when folks think you can just roll up to Canada.

Most Canadians wouldn't even qualify to move to Canada.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I agree it's hard, but people can do it. People have done it. The wrong people are doing it as we speak. We want people here who feel that it is possible to effect positive change in a society, not people who have given up on it.

Some people literally can't and won't likely ever have the ability to do it though. Yeah you want to try and effect change but you also have to be honest about how the mechanisms of power work in the US and other countries.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
If I had a job lined up, then yes, I would. I'm reaching my breaking point with this country.

With how hard it is though, I doubt it's going to happen.

froday

Jul 29, 2018
Yes, BC is the coolest place I have ever been to in North America. So much beautiful nature and lots of nice people.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Things would have to get far worse for me to move. If Trump wins a second term and revs up the concentration camps for Chinese, I'm probably out of here. Anything less than that, I'll live.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly? Yes.

The only thing though is I'm disabled and well... it's a bit of a mess... I do have friends in Canada, which might make things a little easier to move up there (I do have family too, but I absolutely don't know them on a personal level and it's more on my mom's extended side), but I know moving or seeking asylum with disabilities... Sigh.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
If you're willing to let your own country completely

I don't really agree with this just based on the fact that nobody chooses where they're born and I strongly believe that people have every right to travel around and find a place that they choose to call home. I've lived in multiple states across America, but nowhere quite felt as "home" as when I lived on the other side of the planet. I don't think anyone should be "forced" to stay somewhere just because they "lost" the roll of the dice.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Some people literally can't and won't likely ever have the ability to do it though. Yeah you want to try and effect change but you also have to be honest about how the mechanisms of power work in the US and other countries.

You're not wrong but you have to go in knowing it's not going to be "winnable" in the way that you want it to be. The fight is going to outlive you. But what you do today does contribute to the rolling snowball over time.

Nihilism is a trap and its part of the power structure to make you think its unwinnable. Everything in the world was created by people who were no smarter than you are now and probably not much older either. We're being shown very hard with Trump and Boomers that age doesn't equal wisdom anyway.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Already planning to move there if not by the end of next year then the following year.
But I'm not expecting Canada to be this magical place either white supremacists are on the rise and European white supremacists groups already have chapters in Canada like the sons of odin

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't really agree with this just based on the fact that nobody chooses where they're born and I strongly believe that people have every right to travel around and find a place that they choose to call home. I've lived in multiple states across America, but nowhere quite felt as "home" as when I lived on the other side of the planet. I don't think anyone should be "forced" to stay somewhere just because they "lost" the roll of the dice.
It is also really silly because both America and Canada were founded by people who left "home", and frequently settled by them as well in recent decades. Immigration is a cornerstone of both our economies, culture and history.