• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Must there be lightsabers?

• Yes

Votes: 106 38.0%
  • No

Votes: 173 62.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They're the only things I truly, unequivocally care about in Star Wars, so yea, Star Wars without Lightsabers is a big no-no to me.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If lightsabers didn't exist in the franchise I'd be significantly less invested.

I'm completely fine with them not being in a movie or story

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I enjoyed Rogue One more than any of the other recent Star Wars movies and that had minimal Force use and Lightsabers so I'd be happy without.

Thinking back on it, the Lightsaber duels and OTT force usage was something which I loathed about the Prequel Trilogy too... even more than the terrible acting.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like, indefinitely? No.

But for future movies and TV shows/whatever? Definitely - we don't always need them - in fact, they've been completely overused for the last little while. The Mandalorian is a much needed breath of fresh air.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Already did.
ac1e5fe1-5e51-4810-97a2-a18e37bc7ed0.jpg

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
No lightsaber, force, jedi or sith would mean it's just another generic space show. Even Mando has some force still. It's okay for a side story to not have them but main Starwars needs them iconic stuff, just not overdone maybe. Imo of course.

Btw yeah the poll question is the opposite of the title, almost clicked no just by the title.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
So like a Terminator movie, except it's an Inquisitor they're running from? And maybe the finale has them finding a lightsaber of their own to fight back?
That's in the right headspace for what I'm thinking, yeah. Maybe not the last minute lightsaber since they'd still be lacking the necessary training to effectively use it against an Inquisitor (or Vader).

Maybe if you give it the spin of being a former Jedi who has long since given up, lost, or destroyed their lightsaber, then the last minute lightsaber could work.

Oct 27, 2017
No. They are absolutely the single most iconic and coolest thing about Star Wars.

And the Jedi are extremely important to the franchise as well. You can show them in different eras where they are like completely different organizations but keep the core concept of them being warrior monks basically.

Trying to remove the force and other fantasy aspects from Star Wars is to remove it's very soul. If you want harder sci-fi the expanse is wonderful.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
That's why Rogue One is my favorite Star Wars

also, your poll question is the opposite of the thread title

moncho13

Jul 18, 2018
Absolutely! They should just go ahead and make mass effect like stories using the Star Wars name

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I'm conflicted. It depends on the story. Scoundrel stuff doesn't need lightsabers, for instance.

But I do love me some lightsabers.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yes and no. I'm more than interested and OK with stories set in the Star Wars universe that don't focus or feature Force wielders and Lightsabers, but I'm not that interested in a setting that is completely removed from it like another galaxy. That just makes me think of something like Mass Effect Andromeda.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I watched Solo for the first time last night and absolutely loved it. It felt like classic Star Wars, and it didn't have any lightsabers* in it. So yeah, I'd take another movie without any lightsabers.

*Darth Maul's doesn't count

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The beauty of Star Wars is that it covers a wide range scenarios. Lightsabers are the most unique but it's not the only way star wars has excelled displaying action scenes

It has fleet-to-fleet, starship-to-starship, ground battles and hero battles. You can make a combination of any of the above have some really good moments in a film/series

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and no.

There can be projects within the Star Wars universe that don't need Lightsabers but Star Wars as a whole has to have them. Lightsabers and the Force are something that cannot be completely removed from Star Wars has a brand.

And now that we know all Star Wars films will be tenpoles and Disney+ will be for the Rogue Ones and Solos of this world, you're 100% going to get Lightsabers in all future films. The Cassian show and whatever new stuff they got cooking for Disney+ is where you'll get the more experimental stuff.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. Yes, the Mandalorian is fine. But lightsabres are like a big part of it.

EDIT: Ugh, the poll question is different from thread title and I voted the opposite :| Awful

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Gimme the cool blasters and tech and I'm good.

Hell you could have vibroblades or w/e if you needed melee weapons

Lmo2017

Oct 25, 2017
To the east of Parts Unknown...
That's in the right headspace for what I'm thinking, yeah. Maybe not the last minute lightsaber since they'd still be lacking the necessary training to effectively use it against an Inquisitor (or Vader).

Maybe if you give it the spin of being a former Jedi who has long since given up, lost, or destroyed their lightsaber, then the last minute lightsaber could work.

Guy should find parts and assemble one John Wick style.

As for Lightsabers, they should be part of the mythos but they aren't needed to make compelling content. You can't just get rid of them forever, it would be like wizards without staves and wands.

Last edited:

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OP, you fucked up your own poll by asking the exact opposite question that the OP asks. I mistakenly clicked the opposite one before I changed it, and plenty of people probably didn't notice or change their answer.

Anyways, to answer the OP - no. Star Wars needs to expand anyways. It's been so narrow for almost 30 years.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
As for how they've used lightsaber wielding characters up to this point, absolutely. The lightside/darkside struggle is wack. Give me unaffiliated force users/grey, or just straight up characters that can fight with a lightsaber, and we got a stew goin.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I thought my reading comprehension was bad, then I realized the title question contradicts the body question.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's put it this way: if you tell me that lightsabers were gone from Star Wars from here on out, I'd be uninterested, but if you told me the next movie, show, or video game in the franchise will lack lightsabers I'd be okay with it.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I don't need the force either.

The SW universe needs to take some notes from Warhammer 40k and branch out. Like, way the fuck out.
it does not. Warhammer 40k is cool but it's like the opposite of the heart of Star Wars.

Anyways, to answer the OP - no. Star Wars needs to expand anyways. It's been so narrow for almost 30 years.
Maybe that well-defined scope is part of the secret to its success.