• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

iPhone users: Are AirPods Pro worth it?

• Yeah, they’re worth it.

Votes: 209 73.6%
  • I prefer different ones. (Name them plz)

Votes: 33 11.6%
  • Not really.

Votes: 34 12.0%
  • I listen to music exclusively on AM radio so this question doesn’t apply to me.

Votes: 8 2.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personally found the Pros to be very uncomfortable and replaced them with the regular non-Pro AirPods - which are great from a convenience and comfort point of view.

I'm used to noise cancelling earbuds from Bose (QC20) and hated the IEM design of the AirPods Pro.
With Active Noise Cancelling (ANC) enabled on the AirPods Pro, there was an uncomfortable pressure in my ears, which resulted in migraines in less than an hour - several times.
Meanwhile I can use the Bose QC20, Sony/Bose over-ear ANC headphones, or regular AirPods all day with no issue.

You can enable spatial audio with any headphones.
Head tracking is limited to the Pros due to additional hardware requirements.

That's surprising. I often have trouble switching my AirPods between iPad/iPhone and Apple TV devices.
They always seem to auto-connect to the wrong one, and are a pain to switch.

I need to check on my ipad because there are no settings in apple music for spatial audio on my s21.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You need to be using an Apple device for playback to use spatial audio. It's not supported on Android.

Yeah figured. Not a huge deal honestly. I imagine it will take them years (or never) to put in on Android.

That said the android apple music app is leagues better than it was a couple years ago.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally found the Pros to be very uncomfortable and replaced them with the regular non-Pro AirPods - which are great from a convenience and comfort point of view.

I'm used to noise cancelling earbuds from Bose (QC20) and hated the IEM design of the AirPods Pro.
With Active Noise Cancelling (ANC) enabled on the AirPods Pro, there was an uncomfortable pressure in my ears, which resulted in migraines in less than an hour - several times.
Meanwhile I can use the Bose QC20, Sony/Bose over-ear ANC headphones, or regular AirPods all day with no issue.

You can enable spatial audio with any headphones.
Head tracking is limited to the Pros due to additional hardware requirements.

That's surprising. I often have trouble switching my AirPods between iPad/iPhone and Apple TV devices.
They always seem to auto-connect to the wrong one, and are a pain to switch.

Isn't this true only for audio via Apple Music and not true for spatial audio when you're watching video content? So yes you can get spatial audio for Dolby Atmos tracks via Apple Music on 3rd party headphones (without head tracking) , but no you don't get spatial audio when you watch Endgame on Disney Plus?

Part of the issue is Apple has muddied their terms and marketing for all of this.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Spatial audio doesn't work for videos on iPad unless you have APP or APM which sucks. Should work with anything but they just block it to sell more of their own stuff I guess.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got them for over 1,5 years now and still love them.

Sound wise, they are good but outclassed by many other earbuds.

They are a great allrounder though and easy to use. They have a somewhat decent microphone for calls, the noise cancelling is good and the transparency mode (most overlooked feature) is actually worthwhile and doesn't sound like crap.

The new dolby atmos feature is also nice.
Yes, you will find other earbuds that will outclass the Airpods in some areas but they will also be lacking in others, there is no perfect one.
The Airpods pro are a great product, especially when you have Apple devoces.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't used the Pros, but I do have the Gen 2 airpods and I love them.
Same here. I don't like the in-ear design of the pros and that is the only reason why I went with the regular open ear design. But the main reason I got the AirPods at all was because of the microphone on them. I don't think any other mic is as good. Sudio Nio comes close but still, nothing tops AirPods.
I'm looking between these and the XM4's. Leaning towards the Sony's.
See my whole thing is, AirPods are most definitely worth it - for phone calls. It's so convenient to pop them in your ears and not have to hold the phone up to your face. However, as far as music goes, I have the XM3s for that. If I plan to listen to music for a considerable amount of time, I'll use my over ear headphones

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Absolutely worth the money if you're primarily connecting to Apple devices.

I "upgraded" to AirPods Max myself but had Pros before that and the Pros are the best all-arounder, I think. Being able to just toss them in your pocket is awesome.

I don't regret the Maxes one bit but the price is way too steep for me to just recommend, plus their form factor being much larger and harder to carry around is something you have to weigh against your usage.

But the Pros? Worth every cent if you're connecting them to Apple devices, IMO.

There are folks here saying they work just fine with non-Apple too, and I only don't comment on it because I've never connected any kinds of AirPods to a non-Apple device and can't tell you how that experience is. The other people remarking on that are much better sources of info than me on that matter.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Personally i think the tech is too young still as there so seem to be issues with battery

id wait another year

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
What….um how do I do this
Settings button on the controller -> Sound Out -> Bluetooth -> Device List
The TV will automatically start searching
Make sure the AirPods are in the case, hold the button in the back of the case until the light starts flashing
AirPods should appear on the TV, select them

Now going forward when you put your AirPods in, the TV will ask if you want to switch to them
Or if you use them again on your iPhone or something, to select them again for your TV you go back to the Sound Out settings and select them

Ghost Rider

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely love mine. I will suggest one thing though; consider getting the Comply foam tips for them. The included tips are ok, but I found that when I'm working out or doing law work, the sweat makes them more prone to slip out of proper position. The Comply tips prevent this completely and because they are memory foam-ish, they make a great and comfortable seal.
I'll also say the Beats Powerbeats Pro also work very well and have more bass of that's your thing. No ANC though

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
You can get them on sale pretty frequently now. $250 is a bit much but at $200, it's about right. I got mine for $169 and I felt like that was a great price for them. I love using mine and I don't even use them with Apple products.

I love mine. If you are in the Apple Ecosystem they are worth it.

Even if you aren't, I still think they're worth it.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just such a huge fan of the Seinheiser Momentum buds. They sound so good and (better) fit.
I have these and the AirPod Pros and the Momentum's sounds leagues better but Sennheiser's software is god fucking awful because it doesn't remember what you selected for noise cancellation. I like keeping transparency on and across all three wireless headphones/ earbuds I have with sennheiser, (Momentum 3, Momentum 2 True Wireless, PXC II) none of them remember my transparency setting. It's fucking ridiculous. Comfort wise they airpods have less pressure than the sennheisers but it's very minute.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I would go for the Sony XM4s over the airpods

This person knows what's up! This is my own personal experience but I think Air Pod Pros suck. Sound and ANC nowhere near as good as the Sony's and other brands but more importantly, I went through 3 frickin pairs as each one had a defect. On 2 of them,, one ear bud was DOA and the 3rd the sound was barely audible at all. I'm not trying them again.

cdigs

Apr 4, 2019
I love the sound of the AirPod Pros, but I can't recommend them for any type of physical activity. They just would not stay in my ears when doing anything more than a walk. And yes, I tried every size ear piece that was included in the box. To be fair, my experience seems to be the exception and not the norm, though. I think I just have weirdly shaped ears.

I've switched over to the Jaybird Vistas for running/workouts. I like them a lot and would recommend them for anyone looking for good buds to use while working out.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I've been quite happy with my Anker Soundcore Liberty Air 2's that I bought over a year ago. Long battery life and bass is good enough for me (I prefer more bass). They were like $70 at the time. I hear the new Pro model has even better sound but I'm still good with mine so don't see the need to upgrade. And best part is you can actually get them in black which is something Apple seems to not want to give you outside their Beats line.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I have these and the AirPod Pros and the Momentum's sounds leagues better but Sennheiser's software is god fucking awful because it doesn't remember what you selected for noise cancellation. I like keeping transparency on and across all three wireless headphones/ earbuds I have with sennheiser, (Momentum 3, Momentum 2 True Wireless, PXC II) none of them remember my transparency setting. It's fucking ridiculous. Comfort wise they airpods have less pressure than the sennheisers but it's very minute.
I rarely use noise cancellation so this is a nonissue for me, but I can see how this would be frustrating.

teh_J0kerer

Jan 3, 2018
My mom recently bought me some fancy bose ear buds for my birthday. I used them with my laptop, and I was immediately surprised at the lag I was getting, even just watching YouTube videos. Like the voices were slightly out of sync with the lips. Did some research and it seems this is a pretty standard problem with wireless ear buds.

Ended up changing them for razer hammerheads, which advertise a lower latency gaming mode. Much happier with these and don't notice lag now.

Especially if you're planning to play games I'd recommend them. Disadvantages are somewhat poor battery life, and a cheap feeling case. Otherwise, the sound quality is good, and for me low latency is just required.

Here's something funny actually: I used the hammerheads with my work laptop which is a Mac. With gaming mode off, there was no lag.. and them with gaming mode on, the sound was actually coming out slightly ahead if the video! So it seems Apple applies some intentional video lag to sync video with wireless earbuds! This wouldn't work for gaming though, obviously.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I rarely use noise cancellation so this is a nonissue for me, but I can see how this would be frustrating.
Thing is I don't WANT to use noise cancellation. I like to hear my surroundings. The problem is their app fucking sucks and IIt won't remember the last setting I used. It always defaults to anti wind or some shit. Drives me fucking nuts.

Great avatar btw.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Hard nay.

The lack of ability to replace the batteries when they inevitably lose most of their charge in under 2 years is not worth it for their price.

If they were $50, yeah that's a good bang for buck knowing what their fate will be. I personally still wouldn't get them because tech that inevitably dies on purpose is a slap to my face. Yeah, you can pick up a warranty but you'll still be left with dead buds after that warranty ends and you ended up paying more.

You can go for the Galaxy Buds which are easily found under $100, sound better, and have user-replaceable batteries.

That's my take.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
I've found apple headphones in general to have pretty horrendous build quality. When I'm doing things outdoors I get max 3 months out of them before the speakers start dying. So I've opted to buying the $30 generic brands on Amazon and those have been perfectly fine. The Tozo T6 in particular I've found holds up a lot better and has better noise canceling.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
As long as you are fine with the in ear fit (sadly I was not and went back to regular AirPods) they are great, especially used with an Apple device.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Got a pair of pros recently,

the spatial audio is really incredible. I have a fairy good pair of over ear cans, but the directional sound out of these things is transformative.

not nearly as comfortable as I would LIKE based on the size of my ears (why I prefer the over ear cans). But what they do and how easy they work is amazing

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of ordering some myself. Is the Atmos/spatial audio for AppleTV currently only in the tvOS15 beta? Thats the main selling point for me. 80% of my TV and movie watching is after the kids go to bed with regular AirPods in.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
the bad thing about them is that they're bad for the environment, because the batteries can't be replaced, but that's true of many other sets of wireless earbuds. if you care about it then look at the ones with replaceable batteries

Dec 12, 2017
AirPod Pros are my favorite headphones. They might not have the greatest sound ever, but it's more than good enough and the simplicity is nice.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
If you're an Apple guy then far and away yes for the convenience

Chose them over the new Sony buds for that reason

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I have 2 pairs of the airpod 2nd gen and i use them every single day and can never go back to wired they are 100% worth the money.

I can't speak on the pro quality as those style of earbuds don't fit my ears right.

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I picked up a pair of Pros on sale and they're fine. They sound decent but I really don't like the controls, ridiculous that they don't have volume controls on them.

Dec 12, 2017
AirPod Pros are my favorite headphones. They might not have the greatest sound ever, but it's more than good enough and the simplicity is nice.

Olli

Feb 6, 2021
Sony for sound quality

Airpod pros for convenience (Samsung buds pro if you're on android).

Best of both worlds would be a good pair of sony over ears for serious listening and the pods for quick trips and workouts. Otherwise you have to chooose whether sound quality is important to you, frankly the airpods pro aren't great sounding compared to others at the price range.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Love mine. Great for when I'm running too. Shame you can't adjust the volume on them and changing tracks can be a bit finnicky.

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
I had the OG AirPods, but last year I switched to the Jabra Elite Active 75t . This was due to the reviews and it had better battery life and water resistance at a cheaper price. Now I am approaching these as a runner who sometimes has runs over 3 hours which can be in the rain and drenched in sweat. The OG AirPods just were not good for this at all, and I need a better water rating than what the Pros had. Plus let me say this again, they are cheaper. My biggest concern switching to the 75ts was possible BT issues, but so far they have worked perfect. Zero issues.

Last edited:

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
If you get Air pod pros I'd recommend getting foam earbud

Amazon.com: CharJenPro Memory Foam Ear Tips for AirPods Pro w/Silicone Shield. Patented Design. AirFoams Pro Active 2.0 Lasts 5X Longer. Replacement Tip. As seen on Kickstarter. (S/M/L, 3 Pairs, White) : Electronics

Buy CharJenPro Memory Foam Ear Tips for AirPods Pro w/Silicone Shield. Patented Design. AirFoams Pro Active 2.0 Lasts 5X Longer. Replacement Tip. As seen on Kickstarter. (S/M/L, 3 Pairs, White): Earpads - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Spatial audio doesn't work for videos on iPad unless you have APP or APM which sucks. Should work with anything but they just block it to sell more of their own stuff I guess.
I wonder if the jailbreak community bypassed that by tricking into thinking that the headphones are airpods or if there is actually something special.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So… Do anyone else's AirPods get worse over time due to (I think?) earwax buildup? I've lost entire pairs over time as they get increasingly quiet and become inaudible if they shift in my ears even slightly.

I'm wondering if AirPod Pros sidestep this issue due to the rubber tips.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Heh, I wish I had seen this thread before getting my wireless ear buds. After going through far too many Apple earbuds back in the day, I swore I would never buy any audio devices from Apple. I've always used Sony products and I have loved them. So naturally, I got some Sony wireless ear buds for my iPhone (and for my computer). Not a single product from Apple has ever properly fit in my ear.

And aesthetically, I hate the way they scream "I have an Apple product!"

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love mine, but I think they'Re a bit too pricy at their MSRP, but on sale? Definitely.